Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gamers got real weird about difficulty in Fromsoft games, like it’s there in places but also not the sole defining trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I wonder how much of the angry feedback from other (western) devs back when it launched were internet exaggeration but it just baffles the mind how little hand holding a game generally needs and how much of it the games generally throw in your way nowadays. We live in an era where people will read walkthroughs on their first play not to play "wrong" so it's just so refreshing to have an open world game like this.

The previous games had some issues with really obscure pvp mechanics and poorly described stats but in general they are wonderful games for just letting the player mess around and learn from their mistakes. "Savescumming" is basically a core mechanic, encouraging the player to experiment and there isn't any fail state. No quests to stress about either, just some character vignettes and hidden content for a second playthrough.

It helps that there aren't really a ton of different systems going on under the hood compared to most modern games. No skill trees, unlocks, reputation meters or whatever. I actually think Elden Ring moved a bit too far in the opposite direction and while its one of my all-time games, I'm not sure I want another one.

Gamefaqs walkthroughs, achievement hunting and the idea of 100%ing a game has been around forever though and I think its hard for folks to adjust to a playstyle without that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Stux posted:

ive been playing i t for the first time and its ridiculous how much more engaging it is than the games they made after lol also the world is weird and interesting and not generic fantasy. did everyone who cared just get fired after it or something

My favourite quest is joining the Dunmer religion. Go on a pilgrimage across the island and do weird rituals at each shrine. It's like I'm actually joining a cult instead of killing X faction in a dungeon. Or Caius getting me to do anthropological field work with the tribes. Instead of killing X faction in a dungeon.

IIRC the main writer presented Todd Howard with completely insane bizarro poo poo to trick him into saying yes to the less insane (still insane) stuff that made it into the game. Then he got fired but he still tweets out "canon" lore every once in a while. Apparently the dwarves made a time travelling space gundam or some poo poo.

E: oh yeah CHIM explains how cheating with the console is some Buddhist transcendent thing, go wild its canon

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 7, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oblivion still has a pretty good overworld because you can always orient yourself by looking for the white gold tower or the river and coast but then they covered everything with procgen forest so actually walking from point to point is not great.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

GhostDog posted:

I think once the compass exists it requires a real effort from the developers to not lean on it and go through the extra effort to write the necessary dialog or whatever.

With todays huge open world games do the people doing the quests (especially sidequests) even know where they'll end up in the game? I could imagine stuff gets developed as much in parallel as possible, so you just scatter quests evenly accross the map towards the end of the dev cycle.

It requires that the quest writers coordinate with whatever department is doing world design so it also needs a certain level of coordination and communication which I think a lot of larger studios lack for various reasons.

Just pretend this post is about Stux if you want but I think that's less interesting

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think of some games as disrespecting my time but its also basically parts of the game that are anti-fun to me. Or just less good. Let me skip to the good stuff please. Just give me the option.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I didn’t know there was Hogwarts game coming out :confused:

Haven’t seen anything on Steam or gaming sites about it. Don’t think I would draw the line at buying a game but it’s not something I’m interested in either. At least not to spite a bitter old woman who is terminally online.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, the thing that kept Derek Smart interesting was that there was like a 10% chance that his bullshit was totally true and insightful and the rest of the time it was completely insane keyboard warrior drama.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If we're talking unpopular opinions, I just could not get on with Slay The Spire or Monster Train and had to refund them. I've tried several other deck-based games, same thing. I want to like the genre but just... can't.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Deakul posted:

90s RTSes were a different breed, whole lot of pain staking micro.

Yeah, that and they really loved missions where you don’t get a base.

Ended up spending most of my time in skirmish mode in the remaster. Don’t really enjoy rts without some macro elements

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

The craziest thing is that they want 80€ for it.

The really insane thing is that the minimum specs are for 720p and the recommended specs are for 1440p.

The latest steam survey shows 64% using 1080p but apparently it doesn't exist :confused:

E: and 0.28% are playing on 720p :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm contemplating the sentence "open world tropes like heaving collecting and extra quests, but you can make it palpable."

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s got kind of David Cage vibe. The slightly uncanny facial expressions and stilted speech.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Can you respec your characters?

Yeah, you can respec at any time. Eventually you’ll want at least a couple different builds saved, to deal with different opponents and scenarios.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wild Hearts looks kinda janky but I’m hoping it’s good because the MonHun formula is awesome and I wish there were more games like it

deep dish peat moss posted:

And yeah this is how I feel about Troubleshooter, too. There's a lot about it that I know I'd love but I gave up after 3 missions or so because I couldn't stand how much dialog there was, not just the massive walls of text between missions but the plodding, slow, dialog-heavy cutscenes in-mission. And those missions felt very puzzle-y instead of tactical-strategy-y

The beginning is hella slow because it was made in early access and the devs were slowly realizing that folks really liked the tactics and build-crafting and weren’t interested in the multiplayer modes which were originally planned. Best practice is to mainline the story missions until you get 3 or 4 party members and then crank the difficulty up.

They are turning the next dlc into a standalone game because so few folks get over the hump. So keep an eye on that, it’s probably going to be a lot easier to get into

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

credburn posted:

I want to play Tyranny but it's annoying me the same way Path of Exile did and I suspect PoE2 will; why does my character have like a dozen abilities/skills that are so extremely specific and detailed in what they do? It's overwhelming. I want something more complex than click-on-bad-guy-to-whack-with-club but I get really stressed out with leveling up badly or not utilizing class abilities correctly or underutilizing skills the developers are expecting me to use...

That’s kind of the draw for crunchy western rpgs but yeah it can be exhausting. I love the genre but can only play one a year and often end up going back to something that I’m familiar with.

I dunno what an easy alternative is. Maybe a jrpg.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wait what, are they trying to make it play vaguely like a soulslike or Devil may cry game? That’s a real weird direction to take Harry Potter in.

E:

victrix posted:

The new Spellforce 4x game is basically Age of Wonders, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Master of Magic put in a blender and spit out with a low price tag and high polish. Dig it.

Dang I thought the Spellforce series was weird eurojank. That sounds amazing, I’m going to check it out now

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 4, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

this game is a love letter to FLCL

I know you’re criticizing it, but this got my attention. How, the art style? Story?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Morrowind thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430891

Not sure what the current recommendation is, been a couple years since I last tried. Open Morrowind is a relatively hassle free way to get it running.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, you want Wabbajack for that: https://www.wabbajack.org/

Pretty good if you don’t want to spend hours modding a Elder Scrolls game. Just avoid the any NSFW compilations, unless you know exactly what you’re getting into :cthulhu:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's a lot of stuff that has fun meta-progression mechanics but its also not something that needs to be in every game.

I think Deep Rock Galactic is the ultimate expression of this where it has all the live-service elements but without any transaction bullshit. It's a good game in spite of that but jesus christ, I hope we aren't headed toward a future where multiple currencies and unlocks are included in everything for no reason beyond "that's how it's done".

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not strictly a parry but the guard counter in Elden Ring is neat because it encourages the player to do a smart thing (block) and then gives them a nice surprise.

I actually like it better as a mechanic, even though I am comfortable with the normal parrying. Elden Ring parry is: do a questionable thing (block only at the last second) and maybe if you practice enough, get a payoff.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 6, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What is a character action game?

I gather one controls a character (singular) and does actions?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I bought a $10 box of like 50 adhesive cable-organizer clips and stuck them everywhere to tidy up all the cables and chargers on my desk

drat, this is a good idea.

Eventually I want to get a nice wood desk with a cable management hole but some clips would tide me over till then

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Isn’t Workers and Resources still in early access? This is probably gonna cut development short.

E:other sources say they wanted to be in the credits. Seems like a trivial fix?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 16, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm OK with the armor being discussed here because it doesn't look like it was designed to appeal to horny d&d goons. Don't care about the historical verisimilitude, its just offputting when its clear that the designers are really into ladies in high heels and chainmail or wahtevs

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For a similar set-up, you can get the current iteration of the xbox controller with a usb-c cable or with a normal wireless adapter (as opposed to bluetooth).
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-wireless-controller-usb-c
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-wireless-controller-adapter-win10

I recently got the elite version (also with a usb-c cable) because it has paddles on the bottom as well as a traditional d-pad I can swap in instead of the new octagonal thingy. It is double the the price, so depends on if those features or any of the other goodies (swappable joysticks, textured grips) are at all useful for you.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller-series-2

The Razer Chroma has a much more robust cable connection and it's popular amongst competitive players - that's probably the best choice if you don't mind LEDs and the Razer software which it needs to work.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

8bitdo Pro 2 is my go-to recommendation, no-nonsense design and you can even switch between console button profiles if that's your thing.

I seriously considered it but in the end decided that my muscle memory is so fossilized after using the same xbox controller for 14(?) years that different joypad placement would be a problem.

Being able to program macros is really nice though. The Elite allows a shift button and has 3 on-board profiles but it isn't the same. Definitely a point in favour of the 8bitdo

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Exodee posted:

The 8BitDo Ultimate has an Xbox-style layout, though for some reason I haven't seen that much talk about it compared to the Pro. Personally I could adjust to the Pro's layout fairly quickly though despite having similar muscle memory to a 360 controller.

Henry Crustwheel posted:

8bitdo ultimate?

Welp. Guess I know what to get if the Elite starts breaking.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

be sure to get the one specifically labeled "Bluetooth" for the hall effect sticks and a 2.4GHz dongle (plus bluetooth as an option); the other one called "8bitdo ultimate" has different sticks and connectivity because i guess they wanted to be confusing

gently caress yes, I may get one anyways when I have some spare cash

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Runa posted:

It's a very relaxed game for a co-op shooter except at Haz4+ and I'm rarely engaged enough with it to want to play more than a single assignment's worth of missions in a week. At Haz4 on up it's stressful in a way I find unpleasant so I doubt it's just a question of the difficulty.

Maybe it's the forced waiting sections and the lack of pressure on lower difficulties? I find Deep Dives are close to the sweet spot of where I'd like difficulty to be but also being strapped in for a whole hour+ of nonstop runs is pretty rough.

It’s rare, but if I have a very quiet weekend, it’s time for a bunch of beers and a haz 4 deep dive. :getin: Otherwise the same, play some missions every now and then but don’t feel the need for more.

I’ve stuck with it longer than any other online game somehow. Helps that there isn’t any FOMO when I log on after some time away.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1627031529577914369

lmao at the loving hud

e: oh wait this is from several days ago and I just skipped the weekend posting, has this been covered already

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure if there are Pet Companions, but there probably are. Or probably will be.

So yea I'd assume CHA focused and then whatever you want for your secondary stat. INT and go into Nature Magic and get Shape Shifting if you wanna go all in on a Menagerie. Or maybe STR / AGI if you wanna be like a Raised By Wolves kinda savage Elyas Machera kinda arche type.

EDIT: There is one pet companion

drat, does this mean there's multi-classing? Jesus/Romulus & Renus sounds kinda sacriligious.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I was gonna say meta-progression is cool but I think y'all are talking about a numbers-go-up system? I enjoy TOME but the meta-progression is unlocking new classes on top of the ones that already exist. So it's basically "good job, here are some more advanced playstyles you can try out".

This works for meta-progression in any genre really. Deep Rock Galactic gives weapon modifers that can totally change how a gun plays, which keeps the game fresh if a loadout is starting to feel stale.

Basically I like being given meaningful choices as a reward.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

From a scale of Valheim to Ark, how jank is it? Might want to get the gaming group together for it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Ark. It's like Ark in the Predator universe. It has a delightful amount of jank at the moment.

Ahh drat. Not my cup of tea unfortunately. I mean, anything can be fun with friends but we are pretty picky now that jobs and family limit free time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Larian really seem to get what makes tabletop gaming so fun. Give the players a ton of options, let them improvise and do creative stuff. Helps that a lot of Larian folks actually play TTRPGs.

The D:OS games came close to evoking the same feeling at times. I think it's limited what you can do within the bounds of a videogame but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do on their third attempt.

They can't write a gripping narrative but I'm hoping the npcs are at least ok. Looking forward to it!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jossar posted:

PREVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED - In the GRIM darkness of the fantasy present there lies Grim Dawn. It has a very GRIM opening, what with you being possessed and left to hang, only to be saved at the last second, and then sent back into a graveyard full of zombies and other undead to save an outpost from its GRIM fate.

Okay, I'm being a little unfair to Grim Dawn specifically, this bit has been around since at least Diablo, if not earlier. I just kind of wish that most of its successors hadn't decided that "dark, brooding atmosphere" was critical to making their games work. I put up with the original Torchlight for hours more than I should have, because at least that game was bright and cheery. I found a happy medium in Titan Quest, which should also be somewhere on the spring cleaning list eventually.

Gameplay's good, though I'm not a high end enough power player to figure out why you should specifically play this over any of the other modern ARPGs in this vein or just go back and play Diablo 2 for the umpteenth time.

It is exceedingly Grim but its also a spiritual successor to Titan Quest with some quality of life improvements and new mechanics. In terms of arpgs, there's a ton of stuff going on that makes it very, very good if you're into theorycrafting goofy builds. Which is kind of a niche within a niche but hey, it's a good spot to be in!

I made one dude who is basically a bullet hell shmup boss and another who throws poop from his rare unique drop poopy pants.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 5, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jossar posted:

Oh, I definitely recognize that the capacity for theorycrafting exists, but also you have Path of Exile and its goofy node tree (although people break out into arguments as to whether THIS is the season that you shouldn't play PoE because it's been RUINED FOREVER by the market, whatever the season's mechanics are, developers changing priorities, etc.) and Last Epoch, just as the ones I can remember off the top of my head even in this specific niche.

Comedy Option - for a lighthearted, bright, and colorful ARPG experience, maybe I should try Minecraft Dungeons.

Yeah, Path of Exile's nodes are a little overkill imo but it leans even more into the theorycrafting.

Kinda weird that there aren't more cheap and cheerful arpgs. As much as l like being a dork about builds, there's something nice about making a Diabloman and just hitting stuff without thinking too much about stats and itemization.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these GaaS releases do recoup their costs but drat it's kinda grim how they are all canned after a couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It is kinda weird how some games just never make it out of the Epic ecosystem. I guess it must pay well for the studios though, since they are still signing more exclusives.

There's so many cool games being released that I've never really had to consider whether creating another account on a new platform is worth the minimal effort. Would have been a different story if Epic existed back when I was a broke-rear end college student though.