Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hesitation is defeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Coyotes missions can definitely do that on vanilla missions due to random events like a VTOL swarm or House assassins or pirate mechs (those will at least hopefully shoot at everyone). Some of the events are helpful at least, like a friendly VTOL swarm. I think it at least in part depends on your standing with the House which controls the space you’re in.

Any mission with artillery is a difficulty multiplier though, especially since to kill it you’ll probably have to stomp through a bunch of other poo poo. There’s a few story chain missions with some really hard to deal with artillery.

This sounds lit

I hope it works with all my YAML and mech variant mods

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fact that Ghost Trick isn't on Steam is drat near criminal

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

when you say Let's Play drama bomb my mind immediately jumps to Voidburger and the LPer exodus instead of the one time the paywall was used for maximum comedic effect

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm just not interested in it at all tbh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flimf posted:

It's fine to talk about it, but then talk about it instead of just posting a dumb out-of-context tweet and going "hurrr ubisoft bad".

Your posting was much more aggressive and dumb than anything anybody posted around the tweet, far in excess of the tone of the conversation you replied to. That said,

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just, completely incapable of reading the room

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wish Rebel Galaxy hadn't branched off into the Freelancer direction and just made another game like the first but even more like Sid Meier's Pirates! in Space. Instead of swordfights its barroom brawls, instead of ballroom dancing it's karaoke night

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

thread necromancy is illegal

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The less you know going in the better.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grognan posted:

how many people played the mod dystopia?

[ glances at the smouldering ruins of QCS ]

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Souls games are actually very approachable by design, hence their widespread mainstream popularity. Nioh 1 and 2 are rather more technical and a lot more fiddly for somewhat less benefit to the player, but instead scratch an action-diablo itch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The real play is to deliberately type "e: wrong thread" and refuse to elaborate

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

soul issue

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad you're vibing with Ichiban, even more than just being the protagonist, he's the heart and soul of the game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gromit posted:

Yeah ok, this is a red flag. An exploration game where you need to solve mysteries but also have a strict time limit AND have the do the same thing over and over is sounding like something that will not appeal to me. But I'll give it a bit more of a shot and see.

I mean, exploration and mystery+puzzle solving is the entire game. It's best in class, with a story on par with the other greats of this generation. But if none of those sound like a game you're actually interested in playing then with complete sincerity I can honestly say this may not be a game for you.

Elden Ring is a masterpiece but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hates third person action combat and open world RPG exploration

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Outer Wilds is a deeply soulful experience

But if the concept of being brought to tears by a banjo fills you with horror then STAY AWAY

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

No deckbuilding roguelikes have really been able to top Hearthstone's Dungeon Runs for me. Slay the Spire's gameplay is functionally just a sequence of simple turn-based RPG combats with deck management decisions abstracted through path selection. Dungeon Runs take Hearthstone's base CCG, a robust genre of gameplay I already enjoy on its own, and adds a deckbuilding framework on top of it.

Most deckbuilder roguelikes are modeled more along StS lines which, while perfectly engaging in their own right, do not quite scratch that same itch for complexity or gamefeel.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

using hitbox's SOCD to force Neutral for a split second faster than a thumbstick can snap back to Neutral is really cool but also never comes up in the skill levels I play at (casual, no clue what I'm or anybody else is doing)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've really been enjoying Return to Abyss, it's got an incredibly deep weapon modification system even before you get to weapon evolutions, and all of the pure-color evolutions all dramatically change how a weapon behaves. There's so much of a sense of discovery and experimentation when customizing weapons and combining mods with evolutions that I'm honestly kind of overwhelmed by how fun it is.

It's got a mostly positive reception but you can see the occasional negative review from someone who played less than two hours, got mixed up by their first weapon evolution, then wrote a thousand words about how it "misses what makes vampire survivors great"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aside from the dialog, what I remember about Forspoken was a bit of mild confusion among the FFXIV community when it's existence was first teased. Its title came out in a leak about upcoming SE projects after Shadowbringers was released but before people knew the name of the expac that was going to follow it, so people for a while assumed that the next expac was going to be called Forspoken.

The director Yoshi-P came out and said no, that leak had nothing to do with FFXIV and Forspoken was something else. A bit later the devs revealed the expac's title was Endwalker and that was that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

something broadly similar to what happened to Vermintide 2, the last game the devs made

what I'm saying is pretty much everyone who follows them saw this coming

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I uh, certainly never expected a Xenogears reference to be in Hi-Fi Rush.

https://twitter.com/DucklinQuackin/status/1618749993841725440

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The xenogears gag pretty much won me over completely

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah they're obviously uninterested, semantically correcting them isn't going to change that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

brink?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

pentyne posted:

It's Brink. Which also apparently a fairly big success.

Was it? Huh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

What would be the ideal way of handling this, outside of point-buy? (Which encourages excessive min-maxing and analysis paralysis during char creation, see: Fallout) Maybe something where you played a tutorial level stat-free and at the end of it revealed your stats, which are tied to your seed when you started (so you can't scum) and then auto-corrected into the class you chose? That'd probably make a lot of nerds angry, lol

This sounds like the worst possible implementation of the Fallout 3 intro prologue system, made deliberately worse out of sheer grognardesque hostility to players.

Also, complaining about minmaxing in D&D or similar systems is missing the forest for the trees.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's a symptom, not the cause.

And it is definitely disconnected from the quality of roleplaying in a singleplayer rpg.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The man who has only seen Boss Baby meme, but about D&D and tired stereotypes about "power gamers" trying to talk to people who've played any ttrpg designed after 2010

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meanwhile in DE it's impossible to make a functional human being and that's not only okay but also the intended experience

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Per-day casting makes sense for D&D, specifically in the original context the rules were devised. Dungeon crawls were essentially grid-based tactical expeditions where you had to ration out your supplies and resources and spell slots function as daily ablation against longer-term attrition.

The game logic behind them starts to break down outside of that context despite it being grandfathered in due to the system being used for general roleplaying purposes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also rolling straight 3d6s for Ability Scores, no tweaks, makes a lot of sense when you consider a context where characters are kind of disposable and gambling with your entire build every time you make a new character is not an unreasonable ask if you don't expect to last more than a handful of hours of total playtime with that character before it's time to roll up a new one. Hell, in most roguelikes this kind of dynamic is built in to the whole structure of the progression, too.

It's extremely unreasonable to demand this for players you're expecting to invest 100's of hours of playtime into their characters. That so many groups still managed to do this was in spite of the original design rather than because of it. The demands that D&D makes of its players are specific to it and its imitators and not universal within the realm of either videogame rpgs or tabletop.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean I'm not going to go out on a limb to defend it lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t even understand what this dumbass tweet is trying to say.

I see you've never played Destiny 2

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just so people don't overthink the tweet, this is what Destiny 2's character screen looks like

That's it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Edit: The audience Hades is for is people who wrote horny fanfic about the greek gods :pwn:

so, the ancient greeks then

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i cant believe game journalists gave an AAA game with a lot of cinematic polish a good score this is a conspiracy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey folks, the game I spent the last three and a half years working on is done! It's called Waves of Steel, and it's a ridiculous build-your-own-warship arcade naval combat game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FDsHyXf7k0

It's on sale for $15 for the rest of this week!

bought a copy because a friend sent me a screenshot of not!Char and his crazy ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

You can Google words and it'll tell you what they mean. Less effort than acting like your inability to learn is a point of pride

:yeah: