Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It just seems like such a needlessly risky idea to put an emulator that is basically only known for doing things that Nintendo would happily decapitate them for, on Steam. Nintendo of all people, especially.

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo shouldn't be allowed to do anything about emulation of systems and games that they have abandoned. If they aren't printing new physical copies, and/or selling these games on a digital store front, then tough poo poo; they should be free for people to download from anywhere else and do with as they please.

Pretty sure this has already been litigated as not the case multiple times. Not that I disagree but money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

unruly posted:

RetroArch is on Steam, too. Which has a bunch of emulator backends. So, it's not entirely without precedent.

Oh is it? Hm that is surprising, maybe they’ll be okay.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I guess, but it's not actually a legally gray area. It is 100% legal. Whatever fuss Nintendo makes about this is entirely outside the legal system.

imo it's bad for everyone when Nintendo forces companies to back down on things like this that are entirely above board. I hope Valve is willing to stand up to them.

Oh it sucks poo poo and Nintendo can absolutely gently caress off. To be absolutely clear I’m fully against Nintendo’s constant loving with fans thanks to their bizarre, twenty-years-behind understanding of what the internet is. I just also don’t have a lot of faith left in situations where this kind of thing comes up.

But yeah if it’s just the emulation itself looks like that’s been judged wholly legal since I last looked so it’s probably fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Given that criteria I would avoid it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not to mention borderline incapable of actual development.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kenshi, like its predecessors, is a game whose immense and incalculable jank you tolerate in pursuit of the thing at the core of it; not insomuch a game but a genuine story engine.

Of course like the other small handful of games that accomplish this, any story you tell with it makes you sound like a psychopath.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 3, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's some stuff that makes use of it but generally most things that want it are kind of nightmarish code wise and greedier than they should be. That's probably set to change with some of the new tech for the newest consoles, though I wouldn't rush out to get 16 more just yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

I think the new Jedi Survivor game has dismemberment as well iirc.

Just for the prequel droids from what they’ve said, though there might be more limited stuff on the stormtroopers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be fair, even the old JK/O games just had people with cauterized bits flying off, they weren’t terribly gory. But yeah, unlikely.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s always seemed funny to me that armor exists in Star Wars anyway when blasters are clearly plot powered. A Stormtrooper getting clapped in the armored shoulder is fatal but protagonists can survive being laser gutshot for hours.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Poo Vegas

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’ll always remember Age of Conan being 40gb on like, four dvds, five? And thinking that was absolutely absurd. What a fool I was.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You’d never be able to plug in enough mice to run that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Announcing Zenimax Online Studio's New Vegas Online!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Aren't they working on Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed?

Outer Worlds 2 for sure, have they said a single thing about Avowed since that announce trailer?

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't think theres been much on Avowed. Its probably gonna be at least a year+ until that gets released

Okay I admittedly forgot it was 2020, it was right in the middle of the Time Hole in my defense, felt more like it'd been announced five or six ago.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Extreme nerd nitpick time; if a lightsaber blade is weightless and the Force is what lets you use one without slicing your own face off (which I assume has been contradicted in various EU stuff like eighty thousand times) why aren't the streets out back of the Jedi Temple filled with the bodies of poo poo padawans?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Waste of Breath posted:

Well the blades are weightless, but we can clearly see in Episode 1 that carving open a heavy metal door takes significant effort. In the heat of combat, perhaps the force it takes to carve through flesh is enough to disrupt form, and so it is preferred to make shallow slashes with the tip. Obviously in certain situations it may be a strategic choice in a high stakes situation (Darth maul cleft in twain) or otherwise mechanically assisted (Vader cutting Luke's hand off).

Now someone tell me what a twilek's dick looks like

Nah it definitely goes straight through your basic dork without any problems.

Also; cephalopod.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I could have sworn they pull that in one of the sequel trilogy set piece fights but I don’t 100% remember. The one with all the stupid looking red guys?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

That might be risky in a situation where both parties are applying force (kinetic force that is, not the magic space wizard kind) that is roughly in balance to weapons where the business end is capable of effortlessly severing limbs. Suddenly removing that force could be dangerous to either or both parties. Imagine turning your lightsaber off and suddenly your opponent's saber leaps forward into your face.

Ah, arguing about Star Wars lightsaber mechanics, I feel like I'm on the schoolyard again.

This is why you make lightsabers with barbed shafts, it’s the next obvious step and lightsaber technology is stagnant.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jedi are always charging their crystals.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not really what I was thinking but still fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yessss, FEAR kick my beloved.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Oh poo poo somehow I automatically believed song = level. Ok thats good to know.

Now when do we get official ost and lyrics.:colbert:

Metal is cool and all but sometimes I legit have no loving idea what they're saying. :corsair:

Ooooooo go to bed brush your teeth drink less soda nah nah nah ooooo yeaaaah

But in Finnish sometimes.

A lot of the time actually.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My understanding is that the FPS mode and RTS mode are explicitly separate which is not what I’m looking for from my Battlezoners but the article was a bit messy and may have been somewhat incorrect.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Floorshitter the Unwise?

Orv
May 4, 2011
But what’s the best Porygon to dollars ratio

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah? They’re fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will give Code Vein credit for being extremely self-aware about it though.

I will say I think the anime isn’t the actual problem with the game though, it’s a Dark Souls with extremely bad animations and hitboxes and that’s fairly unforgivable.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It just seems obtuse? Like if a game has literally no tutorialization whatsoever, in-game or diagetic or anything then sure, I guess? But “I cheat to skip tutorials and then turn on god mode to figure out the tutorials I skipped” is uh, honestly pretty weird.

E: And fully granted a lot of tutorials suck, especially in the management genre but yeah I dunno.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 7, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
No I get the impetus and don’t necessarily disagree I just guess I’ve never been like, Kingdom Hearts level offended by a tutorial to that degree in those genres.

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

e2: I also have extremely bad ADHD and can't pay attention to a tutorial for longer than about 4 minutes :v:

This I will definitely not give you any grief for. :v:

I was thinking about it and I think my stance - which isn’t really much of one now that you’ve explained, I generally agree - is that management and RTS tutorials for me have always been kind of like, lazy Saturday morning brain boot sequence vibes? Like I don’t mind a slow tutorial cause I can take it easy and in a good one click through most of it to just mess with stuff before I start playing the game for real.

So yeah no you’re fine, it’s not what I’d do but I get it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mozi posted:

There needs to be an unskippable tutorial that describes how to skip the main tutorial.

Bought this two years ago and forgot about it, installing now!

I already made this joke but just give every game Kingdom Hearts 1 levels of tutorial hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Reminds me I need to try that Bloodborne French Revolution robot musketeer assassin game. I love Spiders for the earnestness of their games, even if most of them come up far short of their ambitions.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

I played it when it came out but dropped it shortly after because it ran horribly. Not sure if they ever fixed it.

Would be cool if that stopped being a regular thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’m playing through JFO now for the first time and yeah, it’s fun but the animation and mechanics quality don’t quite support the encounter design the deeper I get. One on one fights feel good but the moment you’re getting run down by multiple melee guys it kinda falls apart.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

My main issue with Fallen Order is people billed it as being like Sekiro/Souls but a lot of that is purely surface-level. There were maybe 3-4 fights in the entire game that were what I would call a Souls-level fight. The first half of the game's bosses didn't even have a second phase that I could discern. It felt more like Uncharted but without the shooting and sometimes you could create a shortcut.

That’s funny to me because basically all of the things I find myself not liking about it are things stripped straight out of Souls (ignoring antecedent things) without really good consideration or context. Dudes hiding in the corner of doorways happens constantly in FO, to an exhausting degree. Fights with reinforcements feel pretty terrible with how the combat is set up. Large creatures all feel terrible to fight which isn’t really a Souls thing directly but there’s almost always one larger animal in every really long run to the next bonfire they do. Those really long bonfire distances also love to have super unnecessary platforming parts that really slow it down.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/290100/Bulwark_Falconeer_Chronicles/
Bulwark is currently a demo but for what's here so far it's a super chill city-building airship blow-upping oddball of a game.
Very pretty, though.

That’s certainly a pivot for that uh series I guess? Still, could be pretty cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I loved the first Remnant and they released some footage of the second one recently and have been thinking about maybe what I want isn’t in fact exactly more of the first game. I think I’d be feeling that less if the area they showed wasn’t just the exact area from the first game with UE5 shininess but it’s odd to think about. Guess I do want at least a little iteration there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
And now I’m aware of my teeth, hate that.