Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thank you to those who recommended Stray, it's turning out to be a pretty interesting and engaging game with a unique premise. Not many other titles with a feline protagonist and set in a post-apocalyptic world.

And yes, I did get the achievement for dying more than nine times. A cheevo's a cheevo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I noticed Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered is on sale, is it any good, what do you guys think? It has excellent Steam reviews, but I'm not as big on e.g. the Batman games as most people seem to be, so I might give it a miss if it's very similar to those. Also will I get to kiss Mary Jane, this might be the deciding factor

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fez_machine posted:

BG3 is indisputably a AAA game, someone did the calculations in the BG3 thread and it has to be the biggest selling CRPG of all time to make back its budget.

Old post but good news for Larian on that front

https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/charts/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kazil posted:

It's a good game but it is basically Batman

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Insomniac's Spider-Man games are extremely good and if the idea of swinging around an open-world NYC as Spider-Man and fighting crime sounds appealing to you, then you will probably like them

Hmm. You know what, I'll give it a go. I've never been a huge Spider-Man fan, but I never disliked him either. At the very least, the graphics look nice.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

There's a wide spread on those owner estimations. Anyone know which is generally the most accurate?

You're right, it's a pretty wide spread. 21.5m seems insanely high for a CRPG that came out three months ago, so that's almost certainly an overestimation.

If we can extrapolate from the number of reviews, BG3 is sitting at 342,525 right now, still far behind, say, the Witcher 3 which has 674,465. Much like the latter game, BG3's numbers will probably continue to rise at a slow pace, though. I would expect a significant spike the first time it goes on sale.

e: did my part yesterday and wrote my own Steam review, figured I might as well add to the chorus

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 30, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

You're right, it's a pretty wide spread. 21.5m seems insanely high for a CRPG that came out three months ago, so that's almost certainly an overestimation.

If we can extrapolate from the number of reviews, BG3 is sitting at 342,525 right now, still far behind, say, the Witcher 3 which has 674,465. Much like the latter game, BG3's numbers will probably continue to rise at a slow pace, though. I would expect a significant spike the first time it goes on sale.

e: did my part yesterday and wrote my own Steam review, figured I might as well add to the chorus

Since I was curious I also took a look at the numbers for Starfield and they seem kind of...low? Steam sales according to SteamDB are in the range of 1.49m-6.13m. I know I'm comparing different genres, but of the two games, I was definitely expecting Starfield to be the more accessible and better-performing one, even with BG3 being released a month earlier. It surprises me a little since Starfield has decent (although not great) reviews, but it probably is much more console-oriented, and maybe there's a major PC storefront other than Steam involved?

https://steamdb.info/app/1716740/charts/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, on PC it was also available on MS gamepass from day one, so a significant portion of players probably just signed up to that for a month or two to check it out without actually buying it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Game Pass. That would explain the discrepancy. Still curious as to how the overall sales numbers compare.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I've had people, like my dad, that don't play anything besides normie poo poo like FIFA, come up to me and ask me for advice on BG3, and then after beating that asking me if DOS2 is any good.
BG3 is a huge phenomenon.

That reminds me, apparently the latest South Park special mentioned BG3 several times. I don't really recall them referring to specific video games before, except for the classic WOW episode (but then I haven't watched South Park in a very long time)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

Does BG3 have softer level scaling than D:OS2 or do you still need to spend your time re-buying all new gear every 1-2 levels? That was ultimately what ruined D:OS2 for me.

Some of the unique gear (which is all hand-placed) I found in Act 1 lasted me throughout my entire playthrough, with a few of those items arguably being best-in-slot. If that was your main complaint about D:OS2, it's not an issue in BG3. Probably one of the main differences between the two games.

There's a BG3 thread over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just booted up Marvel's Spider Man Remastered and I'm getting my rear end kicked. Maybe I shouldn't have picked the second-highest difficulty level when I'm not very good at that Arkham Asylum endless combo type combat

e: alright, I guess spamming left click + CTRL constantly works reasonably well

e2: Tara Platt is in so many things

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 2, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I enjoyed the original Talos Principle until it started getting actually challenging about halfway in, and I realized I'm not very good at puzzle games. I'm glad to see Croteam is still going strong, though, I have such fond memories of the first Serious Sam. Pure chaos and adrenaline.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Only thing I know about Heavy Rain is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Which means it's alright in my book

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kazil posted:

just spend several thousands dollars to buy all your games back imo

90% of the games in my library I've either never played or will never play again, so maybe it could use a good culling

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Impressions of Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered after six hours of playing: not bad, not bad. Very cinematic, great character design and animations. Mary Jane is cute as hell. It took me a while to get the hang of swinging around the city, but it's a lot of fun now that I'm used to it. I've also become competent enough at the combat that I rarely ever die, which is good enough for me.

Negatives: forced stealth, as part of the main storyline no less. That's a big no-no. Additionally, it seems to be a collect-a-thon type of game, and my broken brain is going to make me collect/do every single optional thing or cheevo far beyond what would be needed to get the upgrades I actually want. One could argue that that's on me, but I prefer to blame the game.

A fun experience so far, we'll see if the rest of the playthrough holds up as well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Spiderman games are merciful to completionists. There's no equivalent of the riddler trophies in the Arkham games, most of the collectibles and optional missions will only have a dozen or so instances and you can clear it 100% without much grind.

Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting too. Getting all of the Landmarks seemed daunting at first, but I quickly realized you can take pictures from as close or as far as you want, and it doesn't matter if it looks like absolute dogshit. I've almost done them all and it didn't even take that long.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This is kind of an OCD thing to complain about, but the Wishlist button in the top right corner of the Steam client is showing the incorrect number of games. It's saying 6, but in reality I only have five games wishlisted. Anyone know how to fix this?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

probably you have the wishlest page set to exclude early access or something

Good tip, but that's not it. I checked and I'm not excluding anything in the options.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, I found what the problem was. Apparently I had a game wishlisted that was no longer available on Steam, so it didn't show up. In my case it was Betrayer (which I don't remember wishlisting at all):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/243120/Betrayer/

I found out which game it was by following the instructions in this post:

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/2860219962094793792/#c3216031607508358293

I wonder why it's no longer being sold, looks like it had decent reviews.

e: although not from critics, apparently

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 7, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Step one: Delist your game from Steam for no reason

Right? Unless there's some overhead involved that I'm not aware of, having even a mildly popular game on Steam should be a nice source of passive income.

quote:

We’re excited to announce that Blackpowder Games is now acquired by John Ruth, an entrepreneur and developer with 15+ years experience building websites in the gaming & tech industry!

As you may have noticed, the game Betrayer has been delisted from Steam and other marketplaces. We plan on focusing on creating content on our blog moving foward.

:confused:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I'll have to give the demo a whirl. It looks neat but Age of Decadence was really ball-bustingly hard for me. Glad they put out a demo so people like me can try it out and see if it breaks the tolerance for trial and error gameplay.

Yeah. I'm a veteran CRPG player so Age of Decadence should be right up my alley, but I'm not particularly mechanically or tactically adept, so the fact that it's apparently so difficult has kept me from buying it. Shame, because the setting seems very interesting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What a snappy name. No idea why it didn't take off.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

queeb posted:

also holy gently caress that many people are still playing BG3?

At one point during the weekend it was close to 200k.

I think a lot of that is due to people taking their time to go through the campaign (especially if it's co-op) + the game continuing to sell well more than three months after release.

It still can't compete with Farming Simulator 2022 apparently

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finished the main storyline of Marvel's Spider-Man the other day. Good game, probably has better dialogue, characters, and plot than most of the garbage Marvel has put out in the past four years. My main complaint involves the stability, it crashed several times, and at one point my savefile got corrupted. I had to verify the game files to be able to continue.

I see they included some (all?) of the DLC in the Steam release, which is nice. I guess I'll play the Black Cat story next. I'm not familiar with this character, but judging from her appearance in the main story, I'm guessing I'm in for several hours of her going "tee hee you can't catch me Spidey" and it'll end with me getting tricked somehow. I'm ready to have my expectations subverted, but I really, really doubt that that's going to happen.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I see they included some (all?) of the DLC in the Steam release, which is nice. I guess I'll play the Black Cat story next. I'm not familiar with this character, but judging from her appearance in the main story, I'm guessing I'm in for several hours of her going "tee hee you can't catch me Spidey" and it'll end with me getting tricked somehow. I'm ready to have my expectations subverted, but I really, really doubt that that's going to happen.

Wow it happened exactly the way everyone knew it would. So much second-hand embarrassment having to play as Spider-Man in this. Come on dude, have some self-respect. Why the gently caress would you believe this pathological liar, who you know is a pathological liar, when she claims her non-existent son was kidnapped. I guess we'll see what happens in the next DLC, since she's obviously not dead.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, 'a bit naive but choosing to remain that way rather than become cynical and potentially miss a chance to help someone' sounds perfectly Spider-Man.

This is more than just naive, it borders on cognitive impairment. He's not just hedging his bets, he seems to genuinely believe she has a son and that he's been kidnapped. I don't know, I guess I was expecting more from the narrative. Maybe the son could be a metaphor for something that actually is emotionally important to her, maybe she could show hints of genuinely caring for Spider-Man despite her general sociopathy, maybe her plan could fall through at the last second, etc. But no, everything happens beat for beat exactly the way anyone could have predicted even if they weren't familiar with the character beforehand. I still have two pieces of DLC to go through, so maybe they do something interesting with Black Cat (whose death is obviously faked) later on in the story - but again, I really doubt it.

MJ should dump his rear end again, not for being overprotective or whatever, but because he's clearly pathetic and gullible to the point of lacking sound judgment. In turn, he should dump her rear end for thinking it's a good idea to sneak into heavily guarded bases without any weapons, tools, abilities or powers, on several different occasions. You know what, thinking about it, maybe they do belong together

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To be fair he probably doesn't know where babies come from

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kazil posted:

also an asexual virgin

Don't sign your posts, and turn on your monitor !! :twisted: :twisted:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall correctly, he has an awkward conversation with MJ about this where he notes that he and Black Cat were loving (it was either before he and MJ were a thing or while they were broken up, I forget which) which is why he thinks the "kid" might be his.

What's even 'better' is that Black Cat never actually says or even insinuates that the kid might be his. Spider-Man just actively chooses to immediately believe anything that would allow him to be more easily manipulated. I don't know if there's a name for whichever mental health issue he's clearly suffering from.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, 100% finished Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered. Whoever said it's not too rough on completionists was right - clocked in at 43 hours. The DLC was a mixed bag. The Heist had an incredibly predictable and cringe (as the kids would say) plot. Turf Wars was pretty good, classic tale about a cop gone rogue out of a desire for revenge. The Hammerhead bases were pretty challenging too, I had to pull out all the stops and actually use most of my gadgets. Silver Lining has Spider-Man back to being a total weenie in all of his interactions with Silver Sable, for no good reason. I get that they need to work together to take down Hammerhead, but why the gently caress does he care about whether or not she likes him on a personal level. Why is he so insecure? That said, they included a part where Black Cat saves Spider-Man's life, apologizes for her earlier actions, and gives him the information he needs to go after the villain. It's very abrupt and comes out of nowhere, but I appreciate that little detail from the devs. I'm guessing they did that partly because they got some feedback from people like me who didn't particularly like how The Heist went down.

Overall, good game with fun gameplay and excellent presentation, especially the main campaign. If Spider-Man 2's PC port turns out great as well, I'll definitely get that one too.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 19, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Next on my list of games to play is Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness. This is a CRPG that I backed on Kickstarter years and years ago. I don't remember anything about it, so I have no idea what to expect. None of my Steam friends own it, and it has a 73% rating, so anything could happen!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

How are you finding it? I did the same recently and hated the unexpectedly ugly character models so much I put it down again. Just weirdly low quality, way below Solasta etc.

I haven't played it yet, but I'll let you know what my first impressions are. I'm not expecting much, but who knows? I played Temple of Elemental Evil and Arcanum more than a decade after they came out, so I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance when it comes to outdated graphics.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

apparently a game called 'lethal company' is absolutely blowing up on steam right now

BG3 casually sitting at #5 three and a half months after release

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

Yep, you were right. Reloading the store now shows discounts.

I kind of like the aesthetics of Lies of P from what I've seen, but I don't know if it's worth checking out if I've never played a soulslike and I don't have a controller

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

atomicpile posted:

Probably the only place BG3 won’t win.

How do I vote so I can vote BG3 for everything (including Best VR Game and Best Racing Game)

e: alright, found it. Though I'm not sure how to confirm my choices?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 21, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I purged my wishlist a while back when I realized I was never actually going to buy half of the games on it. It sparked joy. It's now down to a lean 7 titles.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was slowly purging my wishlist but then my partner explained that they think it's funny that I have a huge wishlist because it means they can go into it on xmas or my birthday and get some things at random and I'll be all "what's that" and they can respond "you want this"

https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561198004393508

So now it's back to unworkable levels :v:

:eyepop:

Getting anxious just looking at it.

Here's my basic bitch wishlist (and I know nothing about Persona 5, just figured I should broaden my horizons now that Japanese devs are actually bothering to make PC ports)

https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561198027645510#sort=order

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

You weren't kidding.

(Your profile might be set to private.)

Oh drat, apparently I had it set to private for game details. Should be fixed now (although again, there's not much to see)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's been 15 years since the start of the Rush...

lol I forgot all about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWmboM0zFc

Brooks Cracktackle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I've been putting off getting Cyberpunk 2077 even though it should have been right up my alley, because everyone kept saying it was buggy as poo poo and the driving was ludicrously bad (not that I care all that much about driving in RPGs). Now that they've apparently addressed both of these issues, I'll very likely get it next time it's on sale.

e: which is right now, I'm bad at reading