Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So we got dark souls 2, marauders, tired git gud posts, what’s next for the new steam thread speedrun

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bumhead posted:

Oh yeah, 100%.

The worst case scenario is that I walk away with nothing bad to say about it other than that it isn't for me, which is exactly where Sekiro sits in my mind.

I'm clinging on for now though as I'm struggling to admit defeat with it - again, a reflection of how good I know the game is.

Tbh elden ring might just not be for you if you’re losing interest at liurnia because it’s only the second out of roughly 6 areas of that scale in the game. It is a much, much bigger game than it first lets on and liurnia is relatively early all things considered. I was extremely into what elden ring was going for and even I was beginning to feel burnout by the very end of the game, granted I combed through every bit of the world since I didn’t want to miss anything so most people probably didn’t take 200 hours to hit the credits like I did.

You might be able to enjoy it if you just beeline straight for the major landmarks that the story points you toward, if you’re comfortable with the fact that this will leave you lower level and with fewer gear options. Nothing stops you from riding past most of the content in the overworld and the main dungeons do play much like areas in dark souls, just designed a bit more freeform due to the jump button

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Hypnos. I love him because he has a very wide-eyed innocent dopey tone to the things he says, but he is almost certainly just loving with you.

He doesn't just do it to you either, there's a conversation with him and megaera where she deadpans that he told her to try dodging your attacks

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Death's door is a very safe recommend without anything that's really wrong with it, just a no-frills good game, but it's also not a must-play in the sense of being something you couldn't get anywhere else. you've already seen a lot of it in hyper light drifter.

Tunic is less safe because the action gameplay is simply crummy, but the puzzle solving and layered discovery through the ingame manual that recontextualizes things you've already seen is A+ stuff that makes it a pretty singular game. :ocelot: to everyone who completed That Puzzle without using the internet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sway Grunt posted:

I really should play Rain World. It's been in my backlog for a long time and it seems to perfectly embody everything I love about games, yet somehow I keep... not playing it.

It seemed that way to me too and then completely sucked in practice. Skip.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hurrrrr ubisoft bad

:yeah:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sebmojo posted:

check out the monomyth demo, it's basically deus ex dark souls. Simple and fairly short demo, but nails the vibe and doing immersive sim stuff in an intricately interlinked dark souls castle is surprisingly engrossing. the dev was aiming for end of 2022 but is still putting out regular progress videos - def worth wishlisting.

Missed this from yesterday but thanks for posting, looks neat & I wishlisted.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I remember looking him up once and thinking he must an extremely irritating person to interact with since he was arguing with the founder of Stardock over what the "actual" founding date of Stardock was, up to and including asking the founder of Stardock if he was willing to sign a legal document stating the founding date of Stardock that disagreed with Derek's own date.

wasn't threatening legal action over every petty disagreement pretty much his whole gimmick for decades?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Go straight to 2. nioh 2 is a strange thing where it’s the exact same game as 1 and simultaneously also better in every way. Also, all of nioh’s content is in nioh 2 except for the levels and some of the bosses.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's worth repeating how good nioh 2 is as a multiplayer game. it's much easier and much more chill in multiplayer and you can play almost the entire thing start to finish that way. only a couple very brief story bits and optional 1v1 duel/dojo missions have to be done singleplayer. I played nioh 1 solo and bounced off of it, then played nioh 2 multiplayer and thought it was one of the best action games I've played.

Plus if you really get into it there's a massive amount of content to chew through since the complete edition on steam has all the DLCs, which not only add a bunch of missions but amount to 5 playthroughs/difficulties/NG+ cycles total. we did 3 NG+ cycles of it because each cycle changes the game in meaningful ways and still didn't even see the Underworld, some kind of insane endgame place with 100+ mini levels that only appears after the fourth cycle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Any particularly strong opinions on Vigil: The Longest Night?

it's not the best. It has a very large world and not enough interesting content to fill it with, so a lot of your time spent clearing through massive areas is just finding dead end after dead end with shinies that turn out to be "3 throwing knives" or similar, even up through the last area of the game. Exploration + world design is usually what you want to be the main engaging part of a metroidvania and it fell very flat in vigil.

The other thing that usually makes metroidvanias worth playing is their presentation/vibes. Vigil has very good 2D art but chose to make the player character a 3D model and I thought this clashed horribly with the rest of the graphics. Artistically I was not a fan of a lot of the gory monster designs and environments which felt kind of edgy. The story/lore/english localization was incomprehensible.

Balance was a mess. Early in the game I did an unintuitive quest that gave me a spell that completely trivialized almost everything for the remaining 80% of the game. This combined with the big world + sparse meaningful loot meant there wasn't much to exploration that could feel rewarding because I could already erase almost everything I encountered in seconds with this one spell. There have been a few substantial updates since I played it which might have improved some of these things, but I can't comment on that.

If you haven't played Ender Lilies yet then definitely play that instead, it's a fantastic game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The real reason to skip straight to nioh 2 is that it has scampuss.

https://i.imgur.com/lYQtLYW.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gromit posted:

Well, I'm 40 minutes into Outer Wilds and I think I hate it. Flying that ship and visiting ruins on other weird planetoids and the controls are really annoying me. I hate playing first person games with a controller but the flying sections really need it so I'm always swapping between them. This might be my first refund.

Booo! Get better material!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i think i handled necromunda fine on a gamepad, but it left very little impression overall

I often forget I played it, which is a bit damning for something by the EYE devs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Even so, I feel like the launch discounts are usually 5-10% off

GMG does similar amounts for unreleased pc games all the time, I got deathloop, death stranding, monster hunter rise, a destiny expansion from them all for about 18% off. I think elden ring was the least discount at 12% off.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, as a piece of art and tech, Rain World is super impressive. I'm glad it exists and I'm happy to have patronized its creators with my money. When you're playing though, trying to navigate the Exterior, and emergent enemy behavior and semi-randomized placement keeps congregating five invisible lizards right next to the single drainpipe you need to access, on the other side of which is a giant jelly spider thing that nabs you immediately, I start to lose patience with it as a "Game."

In the parts of the game where it's open and non-linear, it works like a charm. Whenever it funnels you somewhere, however, it gets a bit dicey.

My favorite part of rain world besides the uncomfortable controls and infuriating swimming was the fact that you can go left or you can go right, except going left secretly traps you in hell and you're apparently a moron for going that way even though you chose it because the game randomly spawned all the enemies on the right while left was easy to reach.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

It's a shame that Forspoken looks like it's going to be trash, because I feel like there's room for a game to play as a wizard with spells that actually feel good.

fingers crossed for dragon's dogma 2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When the heck is the AMID EVIL expansion coming out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

OzFactor posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing Deathloop and several hours in I think it's rad. I would understand some frustration coming into the game thinking it's going to be a totally open immersive sim where you can figure out a million different ways to get to each target, but knowing that's not really what it is and looking at it more like a really intricate first-person metroidvania game only instead of abilities unlocking things it is your slowly expanding knowledge of the island (and its many four-digit numbers). My only complaint so far is that I've been "invaded" a couple times and it just really didn't work, with neither of us seeming to be able to actually hit each other. I think it's a neat idea but I think I might turn it off the online mode if it doesn't work well.

I stayed offline and felt like it was the right way to go, it was fun to gently caress around doing dumb things that probably would not fly if I suddenly had to deal with a tryharding real player.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They slipped on a banana peel and hit the “release half of game” button instead of the “release entire game” button

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s called the day before because they’re going to rugpull it the day before its new release date

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like the concept of redfall but I’m sus that the highly stat-driven aspect of loot games will mesh with arkane’s usual gameplay design where you have a lot of impactful options. are you ever going to be just unable to stealth kill a vampire because your silenced pistol is too low level, so your options are actually constrained by stat junk? but if you can always simply instakill them in a headshot regardless of stats, will it still feel meaningful to get new loot?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All of that loot for sure looks randomly rolled to me. you are going to see that same shotgun fifty times but this one has a damage bonus to burning enemies and this one has a damage bonus to petrified enemies. The actual % on the damage bonus may or may not be a random roll vs. being a set number tied to the modifier.

Cowcaster posted:

no way man screw this, not telling the player the difference between a "minor resistance to melee damage" and "major resistance to melee damage" is something like 9% and 10% or 9% and 50% is stupid

Yeah definitely give me the numbers if your game wants me to make choices based on them, I hate guessing whether “minor” means 5% or 30%.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dead space’s diegetic HUD was and still is extremely cool

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I will play the dead space remake if and only if I can make Isaac say “so THAT just happened” and similar quips ad nauseam while stomping the meat monsters

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there any way to write a review after clicking the thumbs up? I always assumed you had to leave a written review to submit a rating at all so I never figured out that, no, you can just hit the thumbs up. And for some games I enjoy I feel they've earned a few words

I thought you had to write words to submit a rating at all? In the past when I tried to thumbs up a game with no review it wouldn’t let me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The combat really is something else. You think you're doing something wrong, the game can't possibly be expecting you to do that, but sure enough, that's exactly what it wants you to do. And after you've shown you can do it, how about doing it while dancing on a tight rope above instant death and stuff is shooting at you. Yeah.

It also has some of the most memorable moments and OST in a video game I've played in the past 10 years. Even linking what they are is kind of ruins it since the music transitions hit you much out of nowhere as much as the gameplay itself.

Northern Journey’s very good OST is also included in the game’s files, there’s just a folder in there with all of it as .mp3s or something. The soundtrack is definitely something that really elevates the game and makes it as memorable as it is

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA not to update/restart the steam client if you have it running, an update has made the friends list/chat appear as a black box which was previously a rare thing you used to be able to fix but this old thread on the steam forums just blew up with mentions of it starting here so it seems to be broken for everyone.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

yeah i just got hit by this, p weird

An insane fix for this that worked for me: from the friends dropdown at the top of the steam client, set your status to invisible, then offline, then invisible again. friends should load properly at that point and you can set to online from there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fingers crossed wild hearts turns out well, I really like the visual design and there's definitely room in the market for a good monster hunter ripoff right now. this year is looking extremely strong and this is the first release I'm excited for. Hopefully GMG will have it for less than steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvvUYWhwdQ

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nah northern journey’s last third is definitely weaker than the rest of the game with a few too many gimmicks in place of the normal gameplay, but if you made it that far in the first place it’s not like you’re gonna quit before the end

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Steam seems to have updated the wishlist UI so it's bloated and takes up twice as much vertical space per entry.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anno posted:

If you click on options there's a "compact" view. Although I feel like it's been like this for a long time.

yeah I'm dumb, I deleted my steam web browser cache trying to fix the broken friends list thing I mentioned 2 days ago and that reset it to the expanded view. I'd apparently had it on compact for so long I forgot there was a different view by default.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The first demo on PS5 was extremely promising and was followed up by a post from the devs where they listed a bunch of specific changes they made to it in response to feedback, which included most of my complaints with it. Wo long (gay bowser) is going to be good.

if saves transfer to the full game I'll actually have to think about what to use though. I just picked earth phase in the first demo without looking into the options much. Hopefully respecs are as freely available as they are in nioh.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 5, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mystes posted:

Hades is fun but all the stupid dialogue you have to click through sucks

I don't click through it, I listen to it because it's good and I always want to hear what dad has to say.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hades calls Zagreus "Boy" in almost every line to reinforce that he's the uncaring authority figure who has no faith in you, and sure enough that carries through all the way to the final dialog you unlock with him after however many wins where he still essentially says "Boy! You will never be worthwhile." and that's it, exactly like every other thing he said throughout the game.

So you didn’t actually read the dialogue, got it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

How is Nioh's parry system, when compared to say DS/ER?

There are general move parries which work like DS, and much like DS are way too specific because only a couple of them work on yokai enemies (which are the majority of enemies in nioh 2) and the feedback for “you did it wrong” is identical to “you can’t do it” so learning what you are and aren’t allowed to do without looking it up is pretty miserable since you can can be 100->0’d in half a second in nioh. The reward isn’t at all comparable to the risk either.

Nioh 2 also added burst counters, which are actually cool and understandable. sometimes enemies do big moves signposted with a red light and you can spend a refillable resource to do a burst counter which owns them if you land it. There are 3 kinds of burst counters and which one you do depends on your guardian spirit. There’s a big slap that you just have to land anytime they’re in the windup animation, there’s a traditional shield you need to use at the last second, and there’s a dodge one where you want the attack to collide with you mid-dodge. Some attacks are much easier to handle with one burst counter than the others, so there isn’t a single best one, and the counters all have value at other times too (such as an emergency dodge or 100% shield) so it’s actually quite a well designed mechanic

Wo long fallen dynasty is bringing back a bit of this idea where some big attacks have a red light that announces they’re unblockable, but deflecting them is much more rewarding than other attacks and gives you a swag animation when you land it. But you can also just deflect almost everything else in the game (that was shown in the demo at least), including ranged attacks, so it’s going to be much more of a core mechanic than nioh’s parry moves. A common complaint with the demo was that the deflect window was loving minuscule to the point of feeling like the risk/reward was way off, but team ninja said they increased it due to feedback, so we’ll see when the second demo hits.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 6, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Perestroika posted:

I hope this one has tighter pacing than the first one. I really liked the aesthetic and writing of the first one, but it just felt too drat long for its own good. I played it for some five hours, got to the point where I kinda felt like I had seen most of what it had to offer and should be about to head into the endgame, but then when I checked the ingame progress counter it was like "lmao you barely even completed a quarter of the game". Even accounting for purely optional content, that's just too drat much.

If the metaprogression isn’t too arduous/required to win I’m thinking this one should be better about it because the format has been changed to roguelite runs instead of a single long campaign. I’m interested in this one because DD1 was an incredible coat of paint around one of the worst and most luck-based gameplay paradigms I’ve played and this one seems to have addressed a lot of that (more effects are guaranteed to have results in fights, losing a run just means losing that run and not a set of heroes you’ll have to spend 5 hours of grinding to replace, etc). also, if you told me “they applied darkest dungeon’s art style to 3D graphics” I’d expect that to be a terrible change but in reality the animations are :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dont have time for this nerd poo poo for babies when we're about to get wild hearts, wo long fallen dynasty, and the probable steam release of Final Fantasy: Origin: Stranger of Paradise: Jack Chaosman's Chaos Quest (NOT nerd poo poo for babies)