Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijKXlPE30zA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yet another driving franchise EA owns now.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Always love when video game protagonists find a giant treasure chest filled with poo poo and there is exactly 1 (one) particular item in the chest that they grab and stuff inside their clothes, ignoring everything else.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm glad Saudi Arabia is investing in publishers like Embracer that's buying up everything, it's good for gaming. Human rights... eh, secondary concern.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I thought all Metal Slugs were technically the same game (never played one, I'm too much of an anarchist).

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Outer Wilds needed more Souls-like combat. There, I said it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Is there anything in particular about the flight controls that is bothering you?

Phigs posted:

If you're easily frustrated Outer Wilds is not a great game for that IMO.

The rumor board in the spaceship can be helpful for guidance when feeling frustrated or stuck (particularly by telling you if there's more to see somewhere) but the core of the game is blind exploration and running into walls where it isn't always obvious what to do next.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- Love a game
- "I want more in this niche genre!"
- Look it up on steam
- Congrats, you basically started with the literal best ones on steam. Everything else is not as good.

This happen to anyone else?

Yup, happens a lot. drat my high standards!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

More Forspoken demo talk: They patched it with new features in response to feedback. You rarely see this happen...

Square-Enix posted:

Demo Update

Button mapping functionality has been added.
Locked-on enemies that move off-screen will remain locked-on longer.
Certain text sizes have been adjusted.
Various technical issues have been fixed.

Last chance to make a good impression, so I get it. Still real weird.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

Zero Seconds of Silence sounds like the next big JRPG

Needs a hyphen or a colon in there somewhere for a subtitle. Or maybe some more numbers.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

GameSpot: 5 out of 10

quote:

Exposition regularly cuts into the experience, however. Frey and Cuff quip a lot, and though Cuff does have a few humorous one-liners and insightful commentary on the world of Atheia over the course of the story, Frey...does not. Frey is one of the weakest parts of Forspoken.

IGN: 6 out of 10

quote:

Forspoken is a remarkably generic RPG – from its bland story to its lifeless open world.

Shacknews calls the story "terrible", NPR says the game is "uninterested in its Black protagonist, and at worst resentful of her". And App Trigger, the currently top positive review on metacritic, calls it "a genuine story of humanity".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

repiv posted:

the PC port is going to be something to behold

Exciting times ahead.

Also currently the top seller on Steam in Japan. And number 2 in Switzerland!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Redfall might also be 80€ if the recent leak is to be believed. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Anno posted:

New Mimimi game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545560/Shadow_Gambit_The_Cursed_Crew

Seems to be sticking to the Shadow Tactics/Desperados genre, but now fantasy pirate stuff.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BykuAlQlSIw
So they're designing missions to be more freeform with multiple insertion points and the ability to pick characters ahead of each mission... that's interesting.

I don't mind it looking like a reskin of their previous games. Their track record is very good.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

They're not video games, they're interactive multimedia experiences.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think you’re going to love Forsaken, it’s full of great action

It's also on sale now for only $7 on GOG!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

S++++ seller would buy again

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Next EA remake: Boogie Superstar for the Wii, which was released a day after Dead Space in 2008.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Say no more! Wishlisted.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

goferchan posted:

Wow, they're releasing a free "offline" version allowing for players to host their own games after it shuts down. That's pretty wild for one of these live service games, but very cool.

edit: I messed around with it back in beta and it was honestly very fun. Just another one of those games in a tough spot where it's hard to sell as a full priced multiplayer centric title but it's also not going to ever take off enough to support the full live service f2p ecosystem

Yeah, this game made the mistake of both launching as a paid game but then also tried to transition over a year after release to F2P, while going up against other monstrously popular games in this category.

They were also tied to Origin's account system (because EA was their original publisher) until they self-published the game and changed over to Epic.

From wikipedia:

quote:

The team, which has about 85 employees, spent four years developing the game.
:smith:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

This reminded me to look up Death By FrostByte because it always makes me sad.

I think I've seen similar stories about at least a couple of other games in this thread, though I can't remember their names. What a tragic fate.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Oh of course. How do I kill it?

How do I kill it so good it will never be used in another game again?

If you can get to the game's Engine.ini you should be able to modify it so that these effects are disabled - probably somewhere in the game's AppData folder.

code:
[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
If these lines aren't there, try adding them.

Scene fringe is Unreal's term for chromatic aberration: https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/RenderingAndGraphics/PostProcessEffects/SceneFringe/

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm honestly looking forward to hearing all these gamergaters frantically trying to justify how it's a masterpiece of a game.

Anyways game reviewer interacts with media in the most shallow way possible, news at 10

Yeah... the review literally opens with "I've been waiting for a good Harry Potter game since third grade". This isn't going to be a critical review or a deep analysis, it's surface-level stuff. They are at least nice enough to mention the incredible amount of technical issues (that might be fixed with a day one patch, I dunno) but none of that is going to be worked into the final judgment. This guy has been dreaming of a 'good' Harry Potter video game experience for most of his life and will uncritically gush about it now that something resembling that is finally in their hands.

Also numbered scores are stupid.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm just waiting until the first Beautiful Faces mod for Hogwarts Legacy is out.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Runa posted:

I know the misunderstanding was cleared up, but this really was one heck of a misread

my condolences to the devs, and also this is why you don't acknowledge fan creations without having them first sign a contract

Yeah, this situation was preventable. There’s a reason big publishers and developers have “we can’t legally even look at the ideas you send us, all that poo poo gets immediately thrown in the trash” disclaimers on their websites.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

FutureCop posted:

[thoughts on Ghost Song]

Similar feeling here. I didn't hate my time with it at all but it kinda feels like it ran out of energy somewhere near the end. And like you said, there's areas that feel like something was cut out.

I like the individual parts of it - the main hub and its people, the 'bring parts back on foot' concept, the open-ended way the world is built... but the whole of it doesn't mesh together well. I think it is an above-average search action game, however.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Third most popular EA game ever on Steam, behind only Valheim and PUBG, apparently?

I knew The Forest was kinda popular back in the day but I didn't expect a sequel to explode like this.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

One user review states it took them 2 and half hours to build shaders for TLOU, because the game kept crashing.

That’s one neat way to burn Steam’s automatic refund timer.

Edit: Another reviewer says 4 hours for shaders. I bought and refunded Horizon: Zero Dawn at launch (because it kept crashing on my end) but this sounds worse, somehow.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 29, 2023

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That's interesting, but I can't fathom how it will work, unless the hand just freely auto-aims while you look around

Looks like the game's camera and gun aiming has heavy bobbing and probably some randomness assigned to it based on prior input + mouse movement + character controller physics. At one part he runs around a corner, takes a hard turn to the left and the camera sways and dips to the right to give the impression of weight. Doesn't seem all that hard to do in a UE blueprint, the more difficult part would be tuning it so it doesn't feel awful when playing - and these guys seem to have pulled that off?

Apparently the internet has been decrying the game footage as fake, to the point that the developer had to tweet a recording of them flying around inside UE to show that it's actually real. Seems like the combination of the realistic camera movement and modern photogrammetry textures are tripping people up. Yes, games can look like reality now, especially when viewed through compressed YouTube footage.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

mycot posted:

I think The Consortium was a complete game that could be beaten and was not intended to be updated, but it ended on a cliffhanger/sequel hook. But instead of following up on the sequel hook that everyone wants them to do, they're just making remakes of the first game over and over again :psyduck:

This remaster/VR release has them bringing all the assets into UE4; the original Consortium was built on Source and famously had lots of performance issues and game-breaking bugs (understandable considering it was made by a small team and the game's ambitions). They did patches years after release that attempted to overhaul parts of the game and fix the worst issues but it still fell a bit short.

Now with this remaster and VR release, you have to wonder: Does it make sense to spend so much time and resources on a game that never got that much attention anyway and was a highly niche product? The devs maintain that this port was cheap to make and serves as a way to reintroduce the game to a new audience (they did receive an Epic MegaGrant to make it). They're also planning on making a mobile version of The Consortium, since UE4 ports so easily... which, uh, guys, really? Have you seen the modern mobile market? How is that going to work?

Anyway, the argument that a rerelease increases visibility makes some sense, but only if you're able to then maintain momentum and actually release something new after that. The Tower has now also been moved over to UE4 but it appears to still be stuck in limbo - and to make matters worse, the head guys kinda stopped working on it and wrote Whispers From The Rift, a multi-choice visual novel ("over 100 unique endings") in the meantime that serves as a prequel to the other games. No release date, not even a release year, but patrons have been able to play a preview of version 0.9.9 since September. Not that the game's Steam page reflects that it's this close to being ready...

And while this is happening, they're working on The Tower: Still in early access, over 3 years since the last update (crowdfunding campaign was in 2016). They've been in 'phase one' of development all this time and are now working out the budget for 'phase two' and how that will pan out. The devs just confirmed this a few days ago. Oh and The Tower is also getting VR support soon, plus it's actually going to ship on UE5 (they just need to make extra sure they're doing development on a compatible UE4 branch first, no biggie).

TL;DR: Project management!

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 26, 2023

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

drat 1070 min req

1070 is the baseline now. Coincidentally, that's the one I have.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The stated reason Valve are dropping Windows 7: Chromium Embedded Framework. That and future Windows features/updates they might make use of.

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4784-4F2B-1321-800A

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

there was a brief discussion earlier in the week about how to review a game when publishers promise there will be fixes after release. i feel like jedi survivor lays out pretty concretely that you should just review the product as is because publishers straight up lie

Some reviewers don't seem to care. The IGN review has a paragraph about bad performance and acknowledges that it probably won't get fixed soon:

quote:

Throughout it all, Survivor is a gorgeous game with beautifully detailed environments and characters… and perhaps as a result, not one of the best performing. My PS5 playthrough saw some fairly gnarly slowdowns from the expected 30 frames per second in 4K Quality Mode, especially when fighting around smoke or fog, which made timing by parries and dodges difficult. Disappointingly, even the 1440p Performance Mode isn’t close to holding a locked 60fps. I also saw a few crashes and bugs that forced me to quit and reload my save to progress (though this was before the day one patch). EA has naturally promised more patches will come with improvements on all platforms, but if history is any guide it might take a little while before it’s completely ironed out.

Also:

quote:

A smooth frame rate is certainly important when battling Survivor’s multiple lightsaber-wielding bosses, because there’s no shortage of challenge in learning the timing of parrying their strikes and dodging their unblockable attacks. I must confess: after several hours of banging my head against the brutal final boss I finally resorted to turning the difficulty down a notch to see the ending in time for this review, which hurt my pride because I’d made it to his final phase but couldn’t quite get over the finish line.

There's crashes, big performance spikes, game can't hold a stable framerate which impacts gameplay (to the point that the reviewer had to lower the difficulty on the final boss), it will probably take some time for all this to get patched: 9 out of 10.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Oh my god, everything about this article.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Scarlet Deer Inn. It's hard to tell from the trailer just how much of a difference the embroidering makes, but I'm intrigued enough to wishlist it.

I think there's some imperfections in the scans that come through, and the same animation "frame" is embroidered and scanned multiple times to enhance the effect. I can't think of another game where it's been done this way.

You're right that it doesn't make that much of a difference visually and could've been done by hand in software, but I appreciate the practical nature of it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Impossible, current technology doesn’t support prompts or toggles.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

the guy seems a little too obsessed with ludonarrative dissonance or w/e, but i'll sum up some of the concerns from the review:

- no memorable NPCs
- main 4 characters don't interact with each other in the story much/at all
- there's apparently points of no return, i guess it's like Gears 5 where there's multiple open areas? one for each vampire boss
- boring skill tree which has some multiplayer-only skills
- dying does not respawn enemies, you just lose some money and spawn at the nearest safe house/landmark
- can only place one marker on the map yourself, map lacks detail
- minimal animations/interactions with enemies/NPCs
- little of worth to do in the open world
- bugs, because of course

their score was 4/10

Nothing about this really surprises me. If I recall correctly, in one interview the devs revealed there was no respeccing, which sounds mad when you can play the game solo but there’s multiplayer-focused skills you can burn points on. But I guess that’s the sort of game Redfall is.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm the vampire surrounded by orbiting blue forcefield walls that spin around so that anyone aiming at me has ample opportunity to get a clean shot off, also I don't know how to traverse through hallways.

Look, that’s just how the shield spell works, they’re old spells and the ancient vampires that invented them never accounted for someone having a gun that can fire between them. I’m sure that vampire is well aware of how stupid it is.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The general rule is that it is a dying genre and nobody is throwing new cash at it (except Amazon).

Note that this rule doesn’t seem to apply for Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

For me, it's people complaining about people complaining about monetization. OK, you're cool with it, that great. I don't really understand why you have to characterize people unhappy with how cool cosmetics and gubbins are monetized as "broke brained" or dumb & so goddamed crazy. Looking cool is a HUGE part of online community-driven games, to the point loving EA patented systems to pair bling'd out whales with complete beginners in an effort to drive sales because it works, people want to look cool.

I swear to gently caress, "it doesn't bother ME" is such a bad take. I'm happy for you and everyone else who manage to stay above it all, but the people complaining have a point that's literally proven by industry practices!

"They're just cosmetics, they don't matter, doesn't affect gameplay, who cares". Well, they clearly do matter because people spend so much time and effort grinding for them and playing dress-up (both in multiplayer and singleplayer games).

Cosmetic stuff is IMO part of the game experience and should be treated as such.