Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Steam? You mean that thing I gotta download to play Half Life 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Does anyone have a link to the old thread with the gargantuan OP?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

The Steam thread is dead. Long live the Steam thread.

For the Jaws of the Lion DLC for Gloomhaven, when is that meant to be played? I know that the tabletop version was meant to be more a streamlined introduction campaign to the megalith that is Gloomhaven proper.

Whenever you want, really. It's no longer an introductory campaign, it's just a mini-campaign within the bigger one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a stand alone story. You can import it into a main campaign if you want to keep unlocks but it'll be a bit easy. That being said it actually has more gimmick missions and gimmicky classes even if the difficulty is lower.

To add to this, you can jump in and out of JotL whenever you want. Like do two JotL missions, then one base campaign one, then two more JotL ones, etc. JotL missions don't count for retirement because the intention is that you finish it with the same core group of characters, also ensuring you unlock the four spotlight scenarios for the JotL classes if you play the campaign as those.

Also the JotL campaign has one of the hardest missions ever made for a Gloomhaven product so uh, be warned lol

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Are progress and item unlocks completely separate or should I make a different campaign run for main and JotL? Sorry I hope that makes sense.

Nah they're shared, it's just that JotL missions rarely reward Prosperity (since that wasn't A Thing in JotL) so you won't be unlocking new items in the shop doing those missions (you will however get the treasure chest items, of course). It's literally just more missions but exclusively set in the city, basically.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, one of the posts made it sound like it breaks the balance of the main campaign. Sounds like if I keep characters and items separate between them I should be good. Then again I am likely thinking too much about this. Thanks!

Yeah that post sounded like it was talking about the board games. The JotL DLC is literally just more missions for the main campaign and they don't count for personal quests that specify 'base game'. That's it. Whatever characters you have can all br used there because it's just more missions, it's not a separate instance or anything, just a series of linked missions. I'd say only the very first one is easy (and it's a better intro for new players than Black Barrow imo), the others range from challenging to absolute hell in one or two cases.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Eh standalone MP Gwent really hit its stride after the 6 month rework, they'd basically designed themselves into a corner with the beta and the way the systems worked led to some really degenerate gameplay like dagon weather decks. Post-Homecoming was pretty varied though I haven't played in like half a year.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, just ask anyone who discovered deckbuilders with StS lol

As for mech games I guess you have, uh, Brigador??? There's also an Armored Core game coming out in a few years. Man, I wish there was even a single turn-based Front Mission on Steam :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Armored Core is coming out this year. That sounds like a fast turnaround but they apparently started in 2016

:stare: hell yeah

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It's a lot of game but it's also one of the very few XCom-style titles that maintain their difficulty throughout the game; late game is not a stomp at all and there's a bajillion possible builds. It's a bit bloated with an excessive amount of features but again, it's part of the charm.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Serephina posted:

What would be the ideal way of handling this, outside of point-buy? (Which encourages excessive min-maxing and analysis paralysis during char creation, see: Fallout) Maybe something where you played a tutorial level stat-free and at the end of it revealed your stats, which are tied to your seed when you started (so you can't scum) and then auto-corrected into the class you chose? That'd probably make a lot of nerds angry, lol

D&D systems punish you for not having the max score possible at character creation on the attributes your class requires so either an array or point buy would be ideal. The idea that going with an 18 for your main stat (which defines how often you are useful in any given encounter and it's completely binary) is min-maxing or 'not wanting to roleplay' is after-the-fact nerd justifications for a bad system. Not saying that's what you especifically were trying to say, but it's one of the most tired defenses for the attribute system there is - not maxing out your main stat means you're either making encounters take longer at best, or being an active detriment at worst.

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 2, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1801110/BOKURA/

Oh hey, someone took the best gimmick from Dead Space 3 and made a game out of it :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't think it's necessarily low quality but it definitely drove me away from the game. It bounced off me the same way Disney/Marvel/Star Wars movies do where it feels like it was written for a very specific fandom that I'm not a part of.
(which for the record I'm not saying is a bad thing, just that I'm not the audience)

Edit: The audience Hades is for is people who wrote horny fanfic about the greek gods :pwn:

Dunno, I dislike anything Tumblr or fanfiction-related and I loving adored the dialogue and performances in Hades. I have no idea how you could even compare it to Disney writing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tarezax posted:

What the gently caress? This is so far off that I assume you just skipped everything and didn't pay attention to literally any of the character development

edit: I feel like I'm in a bizarro world where I played a completely different game from whatever you guys were playing

I guess the wiki summary wasn't any good this time. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I like that StS popularized the term 'deckbuilder' outside of board games because I love the confused look in people's faces when you tell them Magic the Gathering isn't a deckbuilder :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

re: Nioh 2 weapons: Tonfa, Katana, Splitstaff, Claws

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

What's that game that looks very similar in artstyle to Octopath Traveller? People talked about it recently

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

explosivo posted:

Dang I hadn't ever played a blood bowl before but was kinda interested in maybe giving this one a shot. Are the older ones worth playing still? Are they fun against AI or is it mostly for playing online with other people?

BB2 is still great and has a ton of variety

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Gort posted:

Nioh's garbage compared to souls games

Eh, I think they're an interesting offshoot. I can take or leave the Diablo-style loot (I like ARPGs so I'm used to aggresively filtering stuff, so that helps) but the weapon/moveset variety and the addition of onmyo/ninjutsu/spirit guardians/soul cores on top give you A LOT of room to experiment and levers to pull. Souls games do exploration better but Nioh empowers the player much, much more in terms of combat mechanics.

Also co-op is 100% hassle-free and painless in Nioh and that's a big point in its favor.

Edit: FWIW I love every single FromSoft Souls title so it's not even a preference thing - Dark Souls 3, Nioh 2 and Bloodborne are some of my favorite games ever.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 27, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Veotax posted:

Huh, Resident Evil 5 just got a random update out of nowhere to remove Games for Windows Live and add in split screen co-op, which was on consoles but not on PC without mods, I think. Neat!

Wow, this is unexpected but legit cool

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

'Never pre-order' doesn't apply to Argentina :v: The RE4 remake almost TRIPLED in price before it even released, goddamn

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wo Long went up in price too before its release, if it hadn't been for an extremely kind goon I would've skipped it. Elden Ring went up in price once during preorders and then twice again between August and January. It went from 3000 ARS to 9000 ARS in the span of a year lol

The Lone Badger posted:

You guys seem to get completely hosed on game prices and I don't understand why.

People buying through VPNs means there are more sales in the region than users basically; the Dead Cells and Troubleshooter devs mentioned that when they increased their prices.

kazil posted:

Maybe it's switching between the price of the original and then the remake?

Nah the remake is currently $224.99; for comparison the price for the remake before the price hike was 4999.99 :v:

Edmond Dantes posted:

gently caress's sake, that's not even regional pricing, it's more expensive than in USD. Did it even have a price listed before yesterday though? I would have definitely gotten it at 5k, but I seem to remember it was just "coming soon".

I'm so tired of this country. :negative:

Yup! It's been available for preorder for the last, uh, month or so? A whole month at the very least, maybe two.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924497

I think Troubleshooter Rank is a vestigial feature? Or otherwise connected to online - there are A LOT of those back from when this was supposed to be an MMO

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Something to note re: Total War Warhammer is that even if you only buy WH3, you still get Bretonnia as an extra free faction, no need to own 1.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wingspan Digital is neat, you get accurate birb chirping when playing a bird's cards.

Crystal Project is great in spite of its platforming, not because of it

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

People are saying it was done by Iron Galaxy.

Not the company that specializes in PC ports that Sony acquired two years ago.

???

Edit: Nixxes has a limited amount of employees, they can't do everything. But still...

they're working on Bloodborne, clearly

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

As someone firmly anti-bird

:mods:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

People here might now: there was a goon-made roguelite RPG on itch.io where you picked your party of 3-4 and you fought enemies by rolling dice and allocating them, each class had their own dice with custom sides. It was really minimalistic but very neat! Does anyone remember the name?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yup! Thanks :)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

As someone who never played the original Desktop Dungeons, gotta say Rewind is pretty cool! I don't like having to grind money and the fact you can have a death spiral where new attempts require you to do runs to be able to pay for preparations eventually; the second tier of dungeons (Labyrinth, Hexx Ruins, etc) are kicking my rear end despite following the usual tips of always fighting enemies above your level and such. I guess it's mostly trying over and over till you get a good seed sometimes :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Orv posted:

Oh hey, the Armello people are remaking Solium Infernum, an (originally) PBEM TBS about the rulers of hell trying to become the new Satan.

That's awesome, because that game has some fantastic MP TBS design and also because more people should play it but I do find this bit from the Armello people of all people extremely funny.

The joke being that Armello is a very cute and wholesome looking game with such rabid amounts of dickish boardgame bullshit that it is a legend for rage quits of nuclear proportion.

Armello is such a bad board game in everything except presentation. Lots of random, post-input bullshit you have no way to deal with, I really disliked it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah those screenshots are not good comparisons, Darkest Dungeon II looks amazing in motion

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

:golfclap:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Anno posted:

CONVERGENCE and Miasma Chronicles. Also mildly interested in checking out MTG:Arena since I've heard it's a very good implementation of MTG but idk that I have the time for it right now.

It's literally Magic The Gathering Online, now with a budget. Unless you want to play MTG against other people online, same rules and all, you're not missing much

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

DoW2 has the best single player content out of them all IMO unless you really like mid-2000s RTS campaign design

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Serephina posted:

Oh. Well, expectations tempered then.

-----

Also this thread moves drat fast, from the past few pages:
Dumb Video game trends: Remember when everyone scrambled to release their own XCOM clone? Gears of War, Mario, etc.
WH40K sale: Mechanicus is worth the five bucks, but just don't expect to finish the campain before you accidentally break the balance and get bored with your OP dudes. Enjoy the amazing music, pour a glass of wine and drink in that moody setting.
DoW: The first has aged a bit, and the second has zero replay value as you go through the exact same missions with a different race. Both are merely "ok" nowadays.

Agreed on all that but I do want to note this only applies to DoW II Retribution, DoW II vanilla + Chaos Rising is an entirely different campaign where you play a lite RPG - squad tactics RTS mix. No base building tho

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

yeah you couldn't buy them at all, it's the same as a gambling minigame in an RPG

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mrenda posted:

Have any of the Pokemon-likes on PC gone anywhere? I remember everyone hyping up Temtem in early access but on launch people were talking about it being a stinker. There were another few both 3d and 2d ones I can't recall so I'm guessing they lacked staying power. Is it just the cultural cache of Pokemon only extends to Pokemon despite there being a billion different critters in it that their identity seems irrelevant? (to an original Pokemon Red/Blue player who stopped after that.)

I've a friend who enjoys TemTem and from what he's told me it's basically a game made by diehard fans who are REALLY into the nitty gritty competitive aspect of Pokemon, down to breeding, etc. So it's basically repellent to a casual player unless you really enjoy that side of Pokemon.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

FWIW Fire Emblem also does the binary friends-married thing. Like you have C, B and A supports about the characters being the best of buds and the S support is them getting together and their ending specifies them getting married 90% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

There isn't any reading, but Amanita's games are amusing and lighthearted adventure games with a storybook vibe. Thinking of Botanicula and Chuchel in particular, though Samorost and Machinarium could also be good.

Later Alligator is sure to be a hit, it's adorable. It's a collection of minigames wrapped up in an adventure.

Ghost Trick is coming out on Steam at the end of the month, another game I think a kid would love.

Be warned that the themes/events of Ghost Trick's story may be a bit too dark for a kid