Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ultrafilter posted:

The Final Fantasy games are pretty much unrelated to each other except for the title. There are some mechanical similarities, but not as much as you might expect from the fact that they all share a series title. The earlier games in the series basically defined JRPGs as a genre*, so they might be worth checking out to see how it evolved. That said, the NES games (1-3) are pretty old school and may not be that appealing if you like more modern games. The SNES sequence (4-6) is the high point of the series IMO, and I would definitely recommend looking at those. The PSX games (7-9) are more of a mixed bag, and they're also a bigger time commitment, so I'm going to recommend those less strongly.

If you're going to play the older games, the Pixel Remasters are the way to go. They're closer to the original releases than the 3D remakes are but they have some quality of life features that have become standard in the last thirty years.

*The early Dragon Quest games were heavily influential in the NES days as well, but the series never really evolved as much as the Final Fantasy games did so it's become something of a throwback since then.

They also love to reuse Proper Nouns even if they mean a completely different thing in each game.
Like there are 14 different Shivas across the 16 numbered Final Fantasy games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xander77 posted:

If a friend started playing Elden Ring, would Seamless Co-Op be the way to go?

Unless your friend is interested in doing pvp stuff, yeah this is 100% the way to go.
Default ER co-op doesn't work for exploring the open world at all, although it's fine for castles and dungeons and whatnot.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ds2 had the best pvp in the series

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
iirc he stood outside the little bonfire room so every time you warped there to talk to him you had to walk out of the little bonfire niche and then kill all the crazy oneshot suicide bomber enemies that immediately aggrod on you before you could actually talk in peace

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kazil posted:

Only 65% off? I'll leave it on my wishlist for when it's 75% off next sale

*repeat for years*

I only buy games when I am going to immediately play them after installing. I already have a game that I want to play up next (death stranding) so I won't buy anything off my wishlist regardless of discount until I'm 90% done with it. Then maybe I'll look though the list and pick something.

You should do this too, it's a great cure to steam-sale-itis where you buy 5 games at 75% off 'great prices' and then only play one of them, meaning you end up paying 125% per game played anyway

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OzFactor posted:

So here's a question that is likely to rile everybody up: I didn't ever play Doom 2016 but I always wanted to. But now because I can't ever remember to cancel Humble, I have Doom Eternal. Obviously I'm not asking about the story of a Doom game, but is there any particular reason I shouldn't play Eternal first?

they're not even the same canon, you can do them in either order
as i understand it, 2016 plays more like a classic doom game (i haven't tried that one) while doom eternal plays more like a 'puzzle shooter' where the game wants you to constantly be switching between different weapons and abilities to hit weaknesses on different enemies (this one wants you to shoot a grenade in its mouth, this one wants you to use the rifle to shoot off its gun arm, etc), plus really low max ammo but you gain ammo fast from drops and chainsawing enemies so you're constantly swapping weapons as your ammo counts pingpong up and down

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

4chan wojack memes are fail please delete this from your hard drive

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you can even replace that jpeg with an install of .kkrieger which is 30 kb smaller

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mystes posted:

I really don't understand touhou fandom

its like the japanese version of the tumblr superwholock fandom where it's just a giant blob of people making fanart and fanfiction about other people's fanart and fanfiction all tracing itself back to some vague loose connection with the original media
in touhou it's based on a series of bullet hell games where the characters have like 5 lines of dialogue before you boss fight with them

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 4, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you dont care about the hand eye coordination part and just want interesting art and characters watch a movie or read a novel, imo,

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've decided I'm going to take Blattdorf's advice and at least buy something on my wishlist that's cheap and that's been there for a long time. It has to be under 5$ and on sale or I won't bite today, so my candidates are...
Hive Jump - roguelike sidescrolling shooter

I bought this along with a friend cus it had coop and looked cool but the netcode was insanely broken and it would irrecoverably desync all the time. So uh... don't buy it if you care about the multiplayer

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ymgve posted:

Supraland (and its DLC/standalone expansion if you want more)

isnt that game 3d

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
good mobile games or bad ones?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bad Seafood posted:

Concrete Jungle, so I'm safe for now.

But in time the gacha will come.

some of them even have pc ports on steam!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
:honk:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Joe Man posted:

Just noticed a huge pricing error in this Civ6 bundle:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21432/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI_Anthology/

I think it was meant to be 68% off but is actually 86% off.

seems intentional to me
$30 for the game and all dlc is pretty reasonable considering the game itself is on sale for $6 and the two 'real' expansion packs that aren't just anothre playable faction are on sale for $5 each

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Relax Or DIE posted:

direct proven correlation: the fewer metal slug games you've beaten the more you love authoritarianism

the only metal slug game ive beaten is the android port of metal slug 3 which was included in a 2015 humble bundle and gave you infinite free respawns

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

secretly best girl posted:

Wait is that not what Into the Breach is either? I haven't played that but I thought that was also sets of crafted levels chained together based on people around me discussing strategy and play

into the breach is randomly generated
it's also way more puzzley than tactics-ey, a lot of the time you are basically trying to figure out "what is the best set of actions this turn to avoid taking any hits"

through the power of time travel BS you can perfectly see which actions the bug army is gonna take 1 turn before they do them so it's mostly about figuring out how to perfectly counter everything each turn (and if you're good, prep for 2-3 turns in the future too)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
PYF Goon Sagas and Current Dramas, the thread for Posting about Posting
it spends most of its time discussing video games or the latest qcs drama rather than groverhaus but there are some cool goon history posts in there
i haven't read it since after jeffrey week probed eveyrone in that one qcs threead because for some reason it has 2000+ unread posts

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
xenosaga?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
personally if i ran into a boss that was oneshotting me and taking 1% damage from each hit in a game built around exploring for upgrades and poo poo, i would say "oh i should go exploring for more upgrades" and then go exploring for more upgrades

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Pretty sure I was inactive for whenever that was, what'd I miss?

At the time the games were not translated into English, and the LPer orenoren was actually translating as they went, doing (afaik) the first/only English translation of the game.
For whatever reason there was a massive fanbase of tumblr posters obsessed with the game, all lurking the forums to read the only extant translation.

At some point the LP subforum went under the paywall, and all of a sudden there was a huge wave of tumblr posters registering for the site, posting terribly, account sharing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the thread is here for archives havers (i think! I can't see it since I'm not one)
I got that link from the page on the LP Archive

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
hopefully not
it wouldn't be lore friendly for a pre-plumbing wizard to poo poo anywhere other than their own pants

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Estel posted:

You are fooling yourselves. Hogwarts Legacy is going to become the "Witcher3" or "Skyrim" for a lot of people.

Basic and easy to grasp gameplay, open world and "freedom", lots of things to find and collect and lots of details in everything.

It' ll sell a lot and it will appear in all the game journalists' game of the year lists.

theres a million generic open world games now though, skyrim was only special cus it did that poo poo a bit earlier

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the seinfeld of "bad games that make millions of dollars anyway because of openworld and nice graphics"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yeah it is very successful and lots of people play+enjoy it
also it is a bad game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the main story is stupid bullshit it's a game for wandering around the world and collecting buckets and occasionally beheading a draugr when you run into one

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ughhhh posted:

is there a way to have games installed through steam show up on the windows installed apps list so i can easily sort by install size? I know you can do it through the steam app itself, but i want to be able to sort the size amongst the other installed apps alongside gamepass etc.

you can use playnite for this

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Triarii posted:

Some people tried to paint it as "the entire game is you just building a fence and then poking zombies through it with a pole" but that's something you do in, like, your first fight before you get better weapons.

there were a number of negative reviews around launch from people who bought it hoping for a metal gear game, got to that point, and then dropped it out of disgust before going any further

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it seems like a generic survival craft em up like rust or valheim or whatever complete with generic zombies to stab
those games are really popular still! i don't know why though. they seem pretty uninteresting unless you're doing coop stuff

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the whole 'copy the ai' thing doesn't even make sense since mahjong is a poker type game all about drawing random cards/tiles and trying to make a winning hand???
like the tiles you draw in the mahjong app will obviously not be the same ones that kiryu's opponent draws in yakuza

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Begemot posted:

Yeah that strategy only works for chess, not anything that has an element of randomness (manjongg, all card games, etc).

although apparently yakuza has a Shogi minigame too, and Shogi is a chess-like boardgame that this would work for

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

Hey are my Steam achievements good for anything? Are there websites that do interesting things with them? I sometimes go to astats.nl and look at like how rare my achievements are or whatever but I have thousands and wish they uhhh... I don't even know. They just feel like something I have a weird urge to pursue but after gaining an achievement I immediately don't give a poo poo.

the cool achievements are the ones that give you a little nudge to complete optional side challenge, like "collect every spell in the game", or "beat level 3 with only a sword" or whatever
i dont think anyone on earth has ever cared about the achievements for poo poo like "beat the game" or "kill 10 enemies! congrats!"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

exquisite tea posted:

I don't understand it when choice-based narrative games don't even show an endscreen breakdown of how many players chose what. How am I going to feel morally superior to everyone if I can't even see how many people were on my side?

keep that multiplayer poo poo outta my singleplayer games tia

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

anilEhilated posted:

Is that the game with the taser that sets people on fire?

you can do that in the nintendo ds GTA game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Anno posted:

Someone mentioned that you can turn off/way down the quips in options.

I still don’t really know what to think of the game, but I want it to be cool because the combat and parkour at least looks like they should be.

is 2023 the year of the quip slider? the rickmorty game had that too

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ymgve posted:

Is it ok to use key resellers for games with shithead devs? I want that upcoming Factorio expansion but also don’t want to support them

just pirate it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been very curious what everyone was talking about with Rain World's controls so I looked up the wiki and https://rainworld.miraheze.org/wiki/Controls :psyduck:

It has 4 movement directions + 3 buttons. This wiki page and its subpages feature instructional gifs of about 70 different contextual actions you can perform by using combinations of those same 3 buttons + 4 arrows. It looks like it'd be fun and fluid after figuring them all out but noooo thanks :effort:

90% of the stuff on the wiki is not actually baked in controls but are just emergent 'tricks' players figured out since the movement is all physics-based
the basic controls are just "you can jump, walljump, charge up a longjump, and climb up poles and short ledges"
being able to pull of tricks like backflipping is a big deal since you can use it to do stuff like turn a straight run into a backflip to suddenly end up behind a hungry alligator that was chasing you and get away (or throw a spear downwards while you're midair backflipping over it) but none of that stuff is actually required to beat the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mystes posted:

Is this the game where everyone was making fun of the dialog in the trailer?

she says one of the worst lines from the trailer in this clip