Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Is Elden Ring any easier than Dark Souls? I like the idea of exploring a huge open world, but I kinda suck at the genre.
I'd say yes since the open world fixes the whole issue of being stuck on a boss - basically until the very end, you can always go explore somewhere else and grab levels and equipment.
And the open world is straight-up amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2 is how you can start with one of the best weapon for beating the hordes of generic armored dudes, the mace, and then if you have pre-ordered you get to start with an upgraded version of that weapon, the homunculus mace.

I found there to be little to no reason to switch from it unless you were fighting two or three enemy types that weren't armored dudes.
I honestly find the game a lot more fun without abusing strike damage. Discovering the mace early on just discourages experimenting with all the weird weapons Dark Souls 2 has.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You should really go visit the friend napping in front of that drawbridge to the left.

Speaking of things this thread was missing:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How about Yoku's Island Express?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Anyone play Disciples: Liberation?

First impressions were decent but now I’m beginning to think everything is too slow. And the map is pointlessly littered with high level enemies. There was some of that in the originals, but usually you’d have to go out of your way to find them.
I'm currently playing it and liking it a lot, although it is necessary to speed up combat animations before you die of old age. The units' abilities have interesting combinations and the story is a lot more responsive to your choices than you'd expect from a strategy game.

That being said I don't think it's gonna change much from what you've already seen. The enemy levels, however, are only really relevant on the first map or two - if you do sidequests, you'll end up overleveling 90% of random encounters (giving you a handy auto-win-battle option) and only having to do the trickier fights.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

What about the cliff racers?
The annoyance factor is really overstated. The big ones in Skyrim are far worse.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 15, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

You have plenty of time to explore once you adapt to the conceit and learn how to quickly and effectively get to places. Some things are gated behind events to be sure, but the process of change is something to discover and admire on its own.
Yeah, I never really felt pressed for time once I had a clear set of goals.

The DLC is another matter entirely, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

Some people tried to paint it as "the entire game is you just building a fence and then poking zombies through it with a pole" but that's something you do in, like, your first fight before you get better weapons.
The problem is in the complete lack of equipment variety. There's what, three guns? In Metal Gear where the gameplay is all about the toys and messing with enemies?

And yes, you unlock more stuff in postgame. The only trouble is that the postgame consists exclusively of lovely base defense missions.

e: And it reuses maps from MGS5. Can't have a decent craft'em'up without satisfying exploration. Ugh. I really wanted to like that game and it managed to disappoint in every regard.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 16, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

Should just go silly with the achievements, Civilization 6 comes to mind.

IIRC Civ V has one where you have to nuke someone in 2012 as the Mayans.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Disposable Scud posted:

Syphon Filter 2 and N64 Winback. I love the Syphon Filter series and wish it was still around.
Is that the game with the taser that sets people on fire?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jelly posted:

One thing that bothered me about the Division 2 is they didn't really clarify any ideals behind any of the sides. Not hang-up worthy, though. One of the few good games Ubisoft has made.
It's Tom Clancy, the only ideal you ever need is "shoot the undeserving poor".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

Because it way overused Blum
Now you're thinking Quake 4.

Also, Bulletstorm is awesome.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

That said, since I've never been a secret hunter*, I'm not a huge fan of the way missable character upgrades are hidden behind some of them, although I think the biggest ones are in clearly marked side areas at least. I haven't played them yet, but I think Cultic and Prodeus are like this too? I definitely prefer it when secrets just hold ammo, health and powerups, or early access to something you'll get later on anyways.

Prodeus sometimes hides upgrade currency in secrets, but there's way more than you'll need to buy every weapon and upgrade. Cultic has a collectible that gives you 5 extra max health, but there's only one per level. In neither of them, the secrets are necessary to hunt down.

Cultic is the way better game, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Skyrim sold a gorrillion copies because it let plebs think they can play a western RPG, that most noble and sophisticated of genres. Furthermore,

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Cultic might be more your speed - I played the demo a while back and it felt a lot like Half-Life.
Cultic is great for this because while it lets you go really fast, you never have to. Also, if Half-life (2) is what you want, try ADACA.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think there are challenges for going through the missions non-lethally, but I'm fairly sure you unlock them after you beat the missions. Anyhow, the crew eventually grows on you and there will be some plot twists but if you're not enjoying it, there's probably not much reason to continue.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Dishonored 1 is great. Dont worry about getting the "bad" ending and go nuts summoning rats everywhere
Seriously. The high chaos version of the final level is a lot more fun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to suspect my old Xbone controller may be on the fritz (i.e. some button presses don't register, across multiple games), any tips on what would be a good replacement? My requirements basically are 1)Xbox layout (X is supposed to be on the left as God intended, don't really care about the asymmetrical stick positions though), 2)Not Bluetooth, ideally wired.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

alternatively take the fromsoft approach of having a japanese developer craft your english offensive terms list, because it's funny

https://mod.gib.me/darksouls2/ngword/english.txt
...enema?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that because they literally copyrighted it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cool Dad posted:

Is there anything out there that is like Crimson Skies, gameplay-wise?
If you don't mind it being in space, I found Chorus pretty similar. Same emphasis on dogfights and pulling crazy stunts like flying inside enemy capital ships. Story's tune is very different, sadly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No, that sounds about right. Tyranny's second half was incredibly rushed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything, y'know, good in there?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

So what was the last good, big budget linear FPS? Doom Eternal? Not including COD in this btw.
Resident Evil: Village.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I mean funnily enough my query did come from playing the (very short) RE4make demo and thinking, "there are still a lot of big, linear third-person games coming out, what happened to the first-person ones?" These days I guess you're pretty much just stuck playing indie retro-shooters in between the next id title...
I feel you there. It really looks like FPS games are delegated to either multiplayer or the indie scene today. And while I do love the renaissance of the retro shooter, I kinda wish we'd see more effort from the big names in the industry.

Also immsims. We always need more immsims.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the best thing in that bundle is probably Nightmare Reaper and that's really divisive. I'm a huge boomer shooter fan and couldn't get into it, it's just so cluttered and chaotic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Finished Greedfall finally. Because I am not feeling good tonight, and really just wanted to finish this game, I ended up getting petty and vindictive against the key NPCs in the story, went the route of war crimes against everyone. Lots of murder, backstabbing, and betrayal was had, but it made no difference in the ending anyways.
Slightly related, but I'm some 20 hours into Steelrising now and I think this might finally be the good Spiders game. Surprisingly solid combat, lots of stuff to explore (even if all the areas look the same), all in all a very fun soulslike.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The second DLC is both easier and more fun, in my opinion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cantide posted:

whatever is "Zone 22"
I'm not sure but there's a lot of swastikas on the screenshots.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
loving hell. Could you please put something like that in spoiler tags?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A bit late to the party, but what's y'all's preferred method of controlling Everspace 2? I find the gamepad turning really sluggish and the mouse doesn't really turn when I want it to.

Didn't have to put up with either of those in CHORVS, I tell you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To gently steer the conversation into more pleasant waters... Wasn't there supposed to be a DLC for The Case of the Golden Idol out today?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, thanks for the info. I played the vanilla game about a month ago and ended up plowing through it in an evening.

Something to look forward to, then.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Deathloop was GOTY
Deathloop was fun but there's deinitely a downward progression in Arkane games (and I'm saying that as someone who 100% Deathloop and played through Prey four times). I wish someone just reset the genre at the Deus Ex level. Bigger, wonkier immsims.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The gollum game from how I understand it, is basically Thief but you play as Gollum.
Don't get my hopes up. How long has it been since a proper high-profile stealth'em'up?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that copypasted from the EA one? Apart from the bit about id, obviously.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the concept reminds me of the Styx games and I'm definitely down for more of that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Golden Idol DLC's out, y'all. It's very good but also very short (beat it in less than two hours) - but hey, it's more Golden idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I know what you mean with that second one. I solved it and I still don't really know how.
Was it the cipher key? That had me stumped for a bit.