Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OzFactor posted:

So here's a question that is likely to rile everybody up: I didn't ever play Doom 2016 but I always wanted to. But now because I can't ever remember to cancel Humble, I have Doom Eternal. Obviously I'm not asking about the story of a Doom game, but is there any particular reason I shouldn't play Eternal first?

If you play Eternal first it'll make 2016 look like crap, which it isn't on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Volte posted:

Yeah, I loved Death's Door, although I rolled my eyes when I beat it and then found out there's a post-game where I have to revisit the entire game and do a bunch of extra poo poo to see the "true ending" and just called it quits there.

Loved DD, and the postgame stuff doesn't actually take that long, though I might have used a guide a couple of times. Tunic's demo kind of put me off, it just felt kind of sluggish.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SirSamVimes posted:

I think it was an anime convention or something

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

did everspace 2 end up being any good? i liked everspace 1 well enough but i didn't think the genres of space flight sim and roguelike meshed together very well which sounds like was the major thing everspace 2 changed

Been waiting for the full release but it looks to be coming along well. ES1 is one of the few SP roguelikes I actually like, although there was no way I was going to beat i a bunch of times for the full ending.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tarezax posted:

The best part is Skull and Bones can't be canceled because Ubisoft is contractually obligated to the Singapore government

Which makes it even more confusing why they don't just poo poo it out so they can say that they did and then close down the studio.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

Sounds to me like Star Citizen is the game you're looking for.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Weedle posted:

remember how you could only select like 12 guys at once in the original c&c

That was Starcraft, I don't think C&C has ever had a selection limit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I call it StarCRAP btw.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Forspoken's already 20% off at GMG (and maybe other sights) which doesn't suggest Square has a lot of confidence in it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Even so, I feel like the launch discounts are usually 5-10% off

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster, 15 years ago posted:

lol $60 for a video game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean it's one video game Michael, what could it cost? 10000 dollars?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Augh all the Halo games are on sale except the only one I want, HW2. Why is that game not on Steam while all the others are, anyways?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:blastu:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goons' blind obsession with generational divides will never stop being tiresome.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like Forspoken bad, thank god, I can continue being a racist.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Re: Forsaken's place on the Steam Charts (it's fallen down to seventh place btw), it's the first "big game" of the year that I can think of and large titles like that pretty much always end up selling well by default.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
oh weird the new steamworld is a city builder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yf288cJwFM

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Steamworld Build demo was neat, though I wish it went more into the dungeon keeper part.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Massive make a new Ground Control

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

EricFate posted:

Chances are, if you bought any computer hardware in the past year and a half, you've gotten it as bundleware. (Just like the new Saints Row shitfest). Which kind of explains why the purchase numbers are so high. Because so many people *bought it* without actually asking for it.

That wouldn't affect Steam's top sellers list I don't think.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I watch cutscenes and usually want a story to propel me through a game, for example, in most open world games I want a campaign with bespoke missions and usually consider myself done with the game when I complete it. That said, I think the vast majority of games' writing/stories are pretty bad and don't begrudge anyone who'd skip that poo poo. I also think that people who play games solely for their narrative and don't care about the bad gameplay are certifiably insane.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Skipping the cutscenes is the Citizen Kane of gaming.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dread Templar is out, one of you nerds go play through the entire thing and tell me how it is before Feb 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like the Dead Space remake is good which, you know, hard to gently caress up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Them turning Isaac into a voiced protagonist kinda made me worry that we'd have another "AAA-game won't shut up" situation but from what I've seen it doesn't look like that's the case.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, I picked up Dread Templar, only a couple levels in, but yeah, I'm digging it. I get the feeling it won't have the clarity of vision to rank as one of the best (eg DUSK, AE, I think Wrath has that potential) but that's not damning it. It's just good, old fashioned fun! That said, since I've never been a secret hunter*, I'm not a huge fan of the way missable character upgrades are hidden behind some of them, although I think the biggest ones are in clearly marked side areas at least. I haven't played them yet, but I think Cultic and Prodeus are like this too? I definitely prefer it when secrets just hold ammo, health and powerups, or early access to something you'll get later on anyways.

*Unless the games have very obvious tells that one's in the area, eg Overload and nu-Doom.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

Prodeus sometimes hides upgrade currency in secrets, but there's way more than you'll need to buy every weapon and upgrade. Cultic has a collectible that gives you 5 extra max health, but there's only one per level. In neither of them, the secrets are necessary to hunt down.

Cultic is the way better game, though.

Yeah I do plan to play both. Prodeus I've been waiting to see if they change their knuckleheaded save system (all signs point to no), Cultic I'm waiting for both eps to be finished.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

Much needed change

From the beta client

Hallelujah

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Taken from the DF thread-

I'm really happy for the both of them

That's a lot of candles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

Hyper Demon
Hi-Fi Rush

I'm not sure those are demanding if he's trying to push his specs. Stylish, to be sure.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Control, maybe?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol my eyes completely slid over that one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow thanks! I took Wasteland 3.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Every day, I'm Hostlin

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Everspace 2 has a full release date, it's actually a little further out than I expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8m47pGxGaM

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
AAA games can rock, AA games can rock, indie games can rock. We need stux in these trying times.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Demmo for The Great War: Western Front is up, the new strategy game from Petroglyph. Downloading it now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeez, the Broken Arrow demo's a big one at almost 40 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

Last night I finished Homeworld 1 for the first time ever. I loved it so much, the story, music (ESPECIALLY THE MUSIC), and now its time to play Homeworld 2.
Don't let other people tell you what to think, just listen to me instead: HW2 is actually the better game even if the story isn't as good.