Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

kazil posted:

hard disagree

not as great as the main game but much better as the crash DLC though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I’d love to see “difficulty modes” play more with increasing and decreasing UI elements. Love the Ranger Hardcore mode in Metro except for the bits where they also don’t show the QTE buttons.

every (traditional 3D) game should have good audiovisual clues to theoretically have the HUD removed and still work excellent.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, I meant to type "brown".
Sure, there's some green as well but I just thought that it looked like any other shooter out there, while the first game looked fairly unique.

the style of 1 is unbeaten, but still the engine and level of detail of 2 is amazing. I wish almost any other studio would own the talent that made snowdrop because that beauty is wasted on multiplayer military loot shooters or any ubi game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cowcaster posted:

it's amazing how many analog stick enthusiasts believe that games have variable movement speeds when they don't. dark souls games just have walk, run, and sprint and you do the former and the latter with a button

I really liked how Splinter Cell put movement speed to the mousewheel back then, it made sense how the game was designed.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

treat posted:

To be fair, the game has a ton of movement mechanics that can allow you to absolutely clown on most predators, and the new tutorial screens really help with that, but the controls just aren't responsive enough to make most of them feasible, especially when the ground is covered in bumpy geometry. Still, the game is the closest thing to that dark souls style risk/reward and adrenaline/dopamine feedback loop (better than souls games imo) so the attrition is kind of a necessary evil.

Unfortunately that was never changed as far as I know. I died mostly because of clunky movement behaviour/hard to see traversal options and a lot less because of the actual predators or rain timer. Like the choice of putting "let go immediately" just on downward movement from analog stick instead of a button...

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Forspoken is kinda bad, but Darktide is good except :fatshark: ofc. Doubt it will be properly patched before autumn.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

lordfrikk posted:

4K so expected to be lower but still not that low

its unfortunate that its not showing for the FPS. Particle effects look great but they get lost in fast movement and blur and the lighting just seems flat... maybe its just the beginning area but it isn't particular exciting and overall... bland.

Sab669 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can only do the wall jump a few times, it drains the little pips in the bottom left corner or something. I'm not sure I never quite got the hang of it, and I already uninstalled the Demo after beating it :v: I would just jump up a cliff face a few times, find a ledge to rest & recover, then jump up the remainder of the face.

they drain continously when holding the parcour button down and every move is kinda autoparcour, walljumps etc. Reminds me of some other game... Prototype maybe

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Well, Forspoken has definitely got some optimization issues on PC. Attempting to run the demo at 1440p Ultra with a Ryzen 5600x + RTX3080 and Quality DLSS can hit about 60fps in the open world, but it's real shaky. I did the first bridge fight and FPS tanked down into the 20s, which very frequent dips all over the place. Whatever's happening appears to be tied to VRAM usage, my poor GPU was constantly tapped out. Even my RAM usage was at about 21GB, never seen that before. Visually it's a whole lot poppier than PS5, but this game does not look anywhere good enough to justify that kind of performance.

where is the demo set? The entire beginning VRAM for me was <16GB and RAM 14-18 at 4K/High-Max

@Cutscenes

the thing with forspoken is, that the cutscenes are just objectively bad. Setup is off, cutting is terrible, lighting is horrible and the dialogue doesn't particular help either.

Just look at the very first cutscene of the cat. It's like the most interesting object in the entire scene but there are just a few frames viewtime and one cut into its face. Its the object of the entire scene, and yet somehow the director thought "hey just put the dumb rear end protagonist in the frame the entire time!" Thats just bad filmmaking. There are countless other major or minor issues with all the movies I had to watch so far.

Also lol

"Why is everyone speaking English?"
"Guess LANGUAGE is shared among dimensions"

:chloe:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Kins posted:

Grounded has an arachnophobia slider. Sliding it gradually removes arachnid characteristics from the giant spiders until they're eventually just a pair of floating single-colour blobs with a pair of red circular eyes.

EDIT: Triple beaten, christ

this is btw. the absolute worst arachnophobe mode (of the two I know!). They become a lot less visible, they completely gently caress the entire visual style of the game and they just miss most parts of their bodies so predictions based on animation are gone as well as size assumptions etc. Its just so bad.

There are so many good ways to address arachnophobia and Obsidian, of course, chose the dumbest possible way.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Private Speech posted:

I've played a bit of the demo and I've been really enjoying it, but I'll finish off Outward first I think, maybe play some other games as well.

But drat that is one game that does not do 4k any justice, at least on standard/high. Those textures are really ugly. Might actually look better with DLSS.

The effects do look pretty great though as does the landscape in general.

the game has severe issues for lighting and some art poo poo that you should not do after your first custom map for counterstrike or whatever got you into the industry, like obvious tiling on the nightsky stars. Thats just one extremely visible example of a constant flow of visual problems, either design or technical.

absolutely do not buy Forspoken now, even if you were able to get beyond the first 3 hours of cutscenes interrupted by 20m walking "gameplay" it's very messy all around.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mordja posted:

Them turning Isaac into a voiced protagonist kinda made me worry that we'd have another "AAA-game won't shut up" situation but from what I've seen it doesn't look like that's the case.

so far its much better even. Really good remake

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

chglcu posted:

Do people actually like the Steam Deck interface as a Big Picture replacement? Big Picture was a bit crap, but at least the controller buttons did things that made sense. When I tried the new interface a couple weeks back, navigating around it felt really awkward.

it's just a tiny bit better but has still way too much in common with normal shitt BP mode

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

the feature was introduced in 2014 or so though, not really that new. Just been pushed even more into the future now depending on last played.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

Probably for the best. The demo I played a while ago didn’t do much at all to distinguish it from the first game, so I hope they’ve put a bunch of work into it since then.

The date is 6 April 23 in case you’re not a psycho that gets tiny bits of information through YouTube videos

I mean at the core its the same 6-DOF shooter, not really a full-on space shooter. Dont really know where the demo was at but the core gameplay didnt change and wont for the final release either. Neihter will the subpar story/characters/vo tbh, its not the selling point imo. Combat is fun enough and locations are very varied. Its a good game, but still a 6-DOF playing like a TPS in space, not the next Freespace or whatever.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Even UE5 games have this problem apparently. :/

I mean it's an avoidable bug. Apparently one that even AAA devs don't always get right, but its not "thats how UE4 is" or whatever, all engines are just basic frameworks and it always depends on the actual graphics developers/artist etc. to make poo poo run awesome

very much like Unity games tend to just suck back 2010+ because almost no MyFirstGame/MyExpressiveArtProject indie dev had any remote clue about nice tricks cool people do to make a picture pretty and perfomant. But some did, and Unity also learned and now it's not as poo poo anymore.

Ciaphas posted:

Returnal's out now. Looking forward to hearing about the port quality, or possibly lack thereof

aside from mentioned stutters its very well done actually. Good UI, sound, mouse/keyboard support just works though keybindings may need some care but key customization even is tremendously good. Like it has secondary binding options which are so rare these days. Really love the inclusion options of Returnal, very considerate of a lot of tiny things (left handed keyboard preset... I think I've not seen that in any game ever)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

You will gradually unlock traversal skills and weapons/items that will get added to the pool and make subsequent runs easier, but you'll never start with higher HP or damage from a fresh run.

how long is a run approx. to finish? My first lasted ~2h, died in the red desert in that tower from the teleporting guys. That like half or so?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sur le web posted:

the frame rates I'm getting in Atomic Heart are pure witchcraft. everything on high and I'm consistently hitting my 165hz cap with a 2060 @ 1440p. I don't think any game since the idTech 6/7 Dooms have even come close to running this good with the same visual fidelity (not as much going on enemy or effects wise, but still). everything they showed beforehand made me expect tech demo level assets with horrendous frame rates so this was a very nice surprise.

its surprisingly well done. But god drat are the overlaps of constant blahblahblah and tutorials annoying. Also the axe animation says "I will destroy everything" while the actual damage done is that of tiny scissors.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

EricFate posted:

I hope that down the road someone manages to license the tech behind the game and release something good with it.

it's unreal engine 4, it already is middleware.

exquisite tea posted:

There are three zones in the first half and three in the second half. A successful run of each will take you around 90-120min assuming you're being thorough.

good to know, thanks

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Lunsku posted:

New puzzle bundle in Humble is pretty nice if just for the two main bits:
Baba Is You
Dorfromantik
Creaks
Last Campfire
Monument Valley
Monument Valley II
Darq

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...puzzlers_bundle

7 of the 7 are top tier games

really the only humble bundle in YEARS where every game is just very good in its own way.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ymgve posted:

Played a bit of Ctrl Alt Ego during the weekend. I saw some people claim it was the best immersive sim in years, which I guess just means that immersive sims are a starved genre. It's...fine. The controls are floaty and the physics janky, and the "approach any way you want" gameplay seems to only give one or two options most of the time. Hacking and taking over enemy robots requires you to spend your most precious resource, which means that straight up combat is the most economic way to get through things, especially if you get the upgrade that turns scrap into ammo. Stealth is bad, mostly because of the aforementioned bad physics. I can't count the number of times I've teleported into a camera or something, and then got an alert an enemy attacked my main robot, because the robot continued sliding across the floor after I teleported out of it.

It's still an OK experience, but I'd suggest getting it on sale.

yeah its massively overrated jank/junk.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

Yeah it's far from perfect but a much better game than Heat. I honestly don't understand why Unbound did so much worse than Heat critically, people clung onto the bad story and the cringe dialog which is definitely A Thing but it's easily ignored. You can do the 10 hours through EA Play trial dealie if you have gamepass, I spent about 3-4 hours in that trial then decided to buy it and didn't regret it.

if by "easily ignored" you mean turning down the voice slider to 0, then yes. Theres still a lot of talking going on constantly. Still has VO ducking unfortunately. I honestly do not see how NFS stories are "worse" as any other racing games. Forza is equally cringe and they all swim in the same sea of unbearable bad writing that takes time away from driving fast.

I agree however that Unbound is an overall good NFS game and a better one as many from the recent years.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

okay a little more about atomic heart. some things that stood out to me during my playthrough, there's some mild spoilers but it's not anything super important:

thing 1:
Until the 4th hour of the game where you are spat out into the open world, you'd be forgiven for assuming that Atomic Heart ISN'T an open world game. It takes you from a linear prologue area remniscent of Columbia in Bioshock Infinite or even Paris from Burial at Sea pt 1, directly to the first facility you'll be spending several hours in. And to be honest, I think it's even dubious to call the game "open world", so much as a game that has an outdoor liminal space for you to travel between the main story buildings, all of which are underground facilities you ride an elevator down to. This absurdity is highlighted in a segment near the end of the game where you enter a lighthouse on a cliffside, only for that ALSO to have a secret elevator that takes you underground.

The outdoor sections, then, serve only the purpose of funneling you from point A to point B, with these optional testing ground areas (which you also elevator down to) along the way or next to the main story buildings. There are laser walls constructed everywhere to keep you from actually exploring. In addition to this, these sections have the now infamous infinitely-respawning enemies, including security cameras. It is like the game is shouting at you, "JUST GET OVER TO THE NEXT BUILDING ALREADY". But then why is it like this? Why design a game this way? Did they want to keep the visual contrast between the outdoor areas and the indoor areas as a way to reduce mental fatigue? It might have been better to not have enemies on the surface at all, or to cordon them into specific "encounter" zones. There was a polygon article that described Atomic Heart as casting too wide a net, and this is one of those examples, for me. The whole game could have just taken place underground, with some sort of transport system that takes you from one place to another. You can't even say "well the outdoor areas pad the game out", because if you're just taking a car from building 1 to building 2, that's all of 3 minutes of driving tops, then maybe a couple of minutes of robot fighting to get into the building.

thing 2:
I'm not very good at unpacking political stuff in media, I'm not a video essayist lefttuber or whatever. but I think the game is in good faith trying to be a critical story, of the Soviet Union, of unchecked imperialism, of racing to adopt technology before it's been fully tested, examined and studied. Kollectiv, a sort-of singularity that would connect all minds to a global communication network, is the center of the conflict in the game. The people of the Soviet Union would be able to access a wealth of information instantly with their minds, without leaving their house-- it's basically the internet. Multiple points are raised throughout the game of who gets to be at the top of a theoretical neutral playing field for everyone, and also using it to control people while keeping them in a state of ignorant bliss. When you consider the Russian government's relationship with the internet over the last decade, I think this is about as close as Mundfish can get to criticizing their own country without being windowed. But of course Kollectiv is also short for, well, collectivism, and it is referred to as Kollectiv 2.0, almost like "okay, we just didn't do collectivism right the first time"-- the stated goal of Dr Sechenov (this is not really a spoiler it's in the early game) is that no one in the new Kollectiv 2.0 era of society would hold a position of authority, a sort of simplified anarcho-communism. The government of course is looking for any excuse (or was planning all along) to take control of it away from its creator Sechenov, a scientist who discovered and utilized the Polymer technology to advance Soviet technology incredibly rapidly and is sort of an untouchable people's hero, and would likely try to run it the old fashioned bureaucratic Stalinist way. this dynamic is interesting to me especially with the internet analogy, because even though it's obviously political, it also reminds me of how old media tried to take control of new media to make it like old media again (things like TV Everywhere, and abolishing net neutrality for example). i know that's kinda dumb but i can't help it, it made me think of it! the internet was the wild west for a long time and once it became too popular to go ignored, corporations and governments started encroaching and trying to (and I guess successfully) take it over and put themselves at the top, rather than just you opening internet explorer, going to lycos, and learning about all the different video game characters that Ate My Balls, or whatever rant Seanbaby had most recently posted.

The only thing is that this eventually gives way to Saturday morning cartoon villain antics, and that's not super interesting to me. We shift away from the protag discussing power dynamics, contingencies, how information/access is metered to people from other nations or people of power... to overcooked plot twists, villain monologues, binary good/evil absolutism, and a desire for spectacle over stimulation. fine whatever, you wanna do that? fine. after all, the game has an over-the-top comedic tone for a good half of the campaign. but then don't have the characters be so drat chatty (see thing 3) about the world like we're expected to take it completely seriously. after all, this is a game where you are in a "flying" car, in that a flying robot picks up your car and slowly carries you through the sky. It's a game where a granny pulls out a rocket launcher and fires it at a giant robot. Maybe just lean fully into the camp?

thing 3:
Holy poo poo the characters do not stop talking in this game. even if you don't mind the protagonist, it is insane how much dialogue there is, and how much of it is exposition. Almost every other room you enter, a conversation breaks out, or the protagonist resumes a conversation they were having earlier. Often times it's "please explain why this thing is bad to me", sometimes it's "what is your thought on this particular ideology", and a lot of the time it's "charles tells you all of the backstory of the game". There is a bit in an archive room that is... rough. You are grabbing film reels and learning story details, and all you can do is just kinda mill around as the projector plays.. then after 3 reels, there's a non-interactive cutscene, then, 5 minutes of even more exposition as the main character talks about the recent plot twists with Charles, who is more than happy to EXTREMELY lay down endless exposition. and all the while you have to wait until the dialog is over before the elevator opens to move you up-- sorry another non-interactive cutscene happens then. and then there's another cutscene after that.

there had to have been a better way to deliver plot information. the story isn't THAT dense. there are certainly terminals everywhere where you can read emails (don't think too hard about it, the game even tells you not to think too hard about it) that flesh out the world, but these could absolutely have been used to reveal important backstory information. there are also "chirpers", the equivalent of audio logs, which could also have served that purpose. i guess they just assumed most players would completely skip all this and beeline from start to finish? but such players would also likely move so quickly through the liminal areas that conversations end up getting cut off or interrupted. So that leads to this point where they force you to listen to dialog and you can't press the 'speed-up' button once you've read the very small subtitles. It's like that infamous part of Half-Life 2, everyone knows the one. Didn't like it there, didn't like it in the Metro series, and I don't like it here. it completely destroys the flow.

thing 4:
the combat, aesthetic and set pieces are the saving grace, especially on Peaceful Atom. Your shotgun blasts send robots flying back; your axe dismembers limbs; the charged attacks can be very silly (like a whirlwind axe attack that probably would give certain gamers motion sickness). music cues happen at the perfect moments. there are marathon fights that are very comical, such as an encounter in the theater during a certain operatic 'performance'. even an upgraded pistol can do shockingly good damage to most regular enemies, taking them out in just 2-3 shots. when the game shuts up, lets you rip and tear through robots and mutants, and allows you to read computer terminals at your own pace, and combined with the incredible art direction... it almost feels like a great game. these moments, of course, don't last, but they are numerous enough that it keeps Atomic Heart from being a Bad Game and is instead a game with serious peaks and valleys.

that's all the thoughts i have for now. i look forward to seeing much smarter people than me unpack the themes and story elements of the game because it is very messy and some of their authorial intent might end up being read differently (or maybe I interpreted it incorrectly idk). like, there's a whole layer to the game of unethical scientific experiments that seem to serve no purpose to the narrative other than to establish how evil a character is and it doesn't really mesh with any of the story themes at all, it just feels like something that's there to provide a justification for certain enemy types to exist, or because they knew Bioshock had some hosed up enemies and so they had to have some too. and why DOES your glove give you access to these powers like freezing people and zapping them with electricity? it's not like plasmids. it doesn't even connect to the whole Kollectiv thing, it's just, you can unlock freeze powers, that's it.

the game is mediocre enough, though, that it might just fall to the wayside of gamer discourse for Wo Long and Octopath 2, or people just going back to gush about Hi-Fi Rush. so that combined with the murky details on funding and its release, may keep people away. i'm not gonna say that it would be a shame if that happened, but it wouldn't surprise me if people just kept clear.

I feel think the only thing holding Atomic Heart together is it's very well done visual design/graphics with good performance. If it werent for that, it would fall apart due to just too many THINGS, lot of what you mentioned, even without the controversity. Then again, Bioshock was also just the worst shooter and ugly too and still people wanked all over it so :shrug:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://dukope.itch.io/mars-after-midnight/devlog/495856/gameplay-loop

lot of info about Mars after Midnight

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

skeletronics posted:

Convince me to play this game I bought? I got instantly hooked when I tried Shadow of Mordor and played straight through the campaign without getting distracted and moving on to something else, which is very rare for me. (Steam achievement showcase says 18% completion rate, for what that's worth.) I then played the DLC a little bit, didn't finish it, but moved on feeling very satisfied with that game. So I got Shadow of War expecting Shadow of Moredor and it basically seems to be exactly that, but for some reason it just didn't work for me. About 9 hours in, I abandoned it. That was years ago. Now I'm trying to go through a backlog and after consistently seeing all the praise that game gets, I decided to give it another shot.

It's been too long since I played and jumping in to my save is not going to work. I'm going to start a new game, but from messing around in it, I'm remembering a few things. Skill trees in games these days tend to just give me choice paralysis until I play something else, or I look up a build guide, which feels a little like looking up the solution to a puzzle game, like what's the point? I don't know if this game is about builds so much as unlocking the more useful skills earlier, but either way, reading the descriptions, my vision doubles and I have no idea what kind of character I want to play. I also realized that combat feels kind of tedious with more than a handful of opponents, and I'd like to more easily disengage and avoid encounters. Beyond that, though, I don't know what to look for on that tree. Any key skills to grab early? Just to get me going.

I know, it sure sounds like I just don't like the game and should remove this 100 gig monstrosity from my steam deck, but I really liked the first one, and I want to see this improved nemesis system everybody's all so jazzed about. So, one more shot, new game, what sort of things are there to look out for to keep me engaged? Stuff that's particularly cool? Anything?

just delete it, not worth it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm sure everyone here has a lot of great games just sitting around in their backlogs, waiting. I've finally played through the one of mine that most stuck in my craw, in the sense that I knew I should make it a priority but just didn't. But finally knocked out Legend of Grimrock 2. Absolute top tier game. 35 hours of pure Quality Gaming™. Feel like a genius when you test a theory to solve some vaguely-hinted riddle/puzzle and it works, the gate opens, you've figured it out. I got to the normal ending without looking anything up but lost a bit of patience after reloading to go for the secret ending, so used some hints for the cleanup.

Maybe this'll put some wind in my sails and I can get to some of the other heavy hitters in my backlog... but more likely it won't.

Good reminder! I dropped 1 due to spiders but I saw there are mods for both games, going to give it another go as the game itself was great.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

TwoDeer posted:

For whatever reason I could not find a control scheme for 1 that jibed with me on the Steam Deck but maybe I just didn’t put in enough effort…

I just installed it and it had "Legend of Grimrock" (official?) directly assigned, which works for me right now at least - maybe its not good enough later on when enemies are getting faster. But I don't know if it can get better shortcuts since the game requires rightclicking UI elements for combat so I think it's difficult/not possible to have shortcut buttons there. Movement is fine with stick and shoulder buttons for sidestep

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Squiggle posted:

Dredge loving rules

it really does.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wish there were more games in that genre. Maybe if Grimrock had had more success.

yeah, it never took off again and usually gets combined with "rogue like" nowadays which is just not the same.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Deakul posted:

It's not a 1:1 Freelancer-like but it's drat close!

still don't get it how people compare Everspace to ANY linear space-opera games of the 90s/early 2000s. Its so different in its core, its Descent/6DOF more as any actual space game (ofc FS wasnt newtonian space combat and also more of a TPS in space, but its presentation and game elemets at that time were still vastly different) and the development from its roguelike predecessor didnt go far enough so its story/characters fall flat, crafting is 4th wall breaking as with any of the games that have it like this, RPG mechanics light but "have to be in there" as it doesn't provide otherwise notable feel of progression due to it's open world design.

Its good in its own way, but it is absolutely not what space games were nor does it remotely capture that atmosphere that Freespace or Freelancer gave back then. Too much arcarde elements.

It is one major reason why people are still so disillusioned to give tons of money to dumbass RSI because there simply is not that kind of space game the aforementioned were at their time.

regardless of that though, Everspace 2 is great, go play it :D

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

Does Everspace 2 have the "living universe" thing that Freelancer did where civilian and military traffic were all going about their business while you flew around?

no, as it is not that kind of game.

There are just maps, connected by freeflight warp where nothing happens, and within those maps are then events, either random generated (some are obtained by finding some sort of "map", which are mostly more intense figths) or story which are then static a. There is no connectivity/overarching stuff in Everspace. Its just a (good and VERY pretty) space combat game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Deakul posted:

I wasn't comparing it to Freespace at all, just Freelancer which was decidedly not linear.
:shrug:

Sorry I'm of the "it's good enough and scratches the itch" camp, it gives me a lot of Freelancer feel in its approachability and ease of play.
Baby's first space game pretty much, I don't want crazy simulations of entire galactic economies nor do I particularly care if space is buzzing with activity, I just want good mouse controlled space pew pew with loot and good atmosphere all of which I get from ES2.

Heck, it even has a basic trade system in it where certain goods go higher or lower in certain systems.

I take what I can get and Everspace 2 is likely the closest we'll ever get cause developers are brokebrained when it comes to space games apparently.

Fair enough, it wasn't just your post but a lot of comparisons over the course itt. It's a great game, I've played it a lot over the course of EA but it just not scratched that itch enough for me and I just vented a bit here since it is very different in the end.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Upsidads posted:

Geoff Keighley is a piece of poo poo and if it weren't for him I wouldn't have played this overrated piece of poo poo called
It Takes Two
the premise is poorly utilized
the gameplay is boring and linear
and the writing doesn't land anything entertaining
I hate this game
I hate its developer

All i can say is it runs well and doesn't look awful but it sure as hell isnt inspiring

it is really not a great game indeed. Especially the dumbass boomer storyline and "humor" is so off-putting the entire time.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's a good genre. I just reinstalled Megaquarium and the solo dev announced today that he's working on some new stuff for it. Kinda heartwarming to see that a 10 dollar indie game is doing well enough that it can get 2 dlc and the dev can keep working on it 5 years after release.

Nice. Megaquarium is one of the top tier indie builder sims. Really appreciate that developers care and acknowledgement of it. He (I think?) worked a lot on making the game run properly with huge aquariums where even good game indie devs usually just cease development and leave their product in a bad technical state.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cantide posted:

Yeah, sadly that bullshit drop down list is not enough for the German state :(. Lots of Adult (mostly porn) but also some of the more violent games are not visible at all to German users because valve doesn't comply with the age verification required by German law. There would have to be a check against an official document like the German passport but valve has decided it doesn't want to deal with that poo poo which I kind of understand.

My understanding of how it is with Steam or other digital stores like GoG is that unavailability is either a) for legacy games that had to went through age verification process prior (f.e. Quake or Unreal series) or b) free decision of the publisher/dev. There are hundreds or thousands of easily 18+ games on Steam which simply do not have an USK rating but are available.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cantide posted:

Here's a List from "Adolf Hitler Humiliation Simulator" to "Postal 1,2,3" to whatever is "Zone 22"
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/foruncut/discussions/17/412448792363880797/

yeah but thats exactly what I said. Most of those games had a physical release which was rejected by USK and therefore not available, others may chose not to publish it. Not really sure about the law details here, but the Landesmedienanstalten pursuit and apparent responsibility for pornographic content seems to be different to USK rejects for violence.

You still have USK18 rated games freely available on Steam for everyone who absolutely isnt. See Dead Space f.e.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

zoux posted:

I'm gonna need a comprehensive list of modern freelancer type games because I love them but I don't ever see them. Rogue galaxy 2 is the only one that comes to mind besides Everspace 2. WC: Privateer is up there with TIE fighter in terms of Formative Games

there is none.

again, that is a major reason why start shitizen is seeing that much of money still. NO SPACE GAME represents the linear space operas of Freespace, Freelancer, Starlancer etc. back then. Its either/or. Roguelikes, Arcade, Diablo in Space etc. just not that kind of SP space opera with that kind of production value. And all attempts in that particular direction like corvs are flawed AA games with SOME good content but still void of the experience of a modern day Freelancer/Freespace

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

:D

star traders is unfortunatley in the *etc.* part.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

pentyne posted:

What about the X series? X4 got savaged but people always say X3 Albion Prelude is the best of its type.

X series is nothing like it, apart from still being an UI nightmare and techincally questionable it is a universe simulation like their slogan TRADE FIGHT THINK BUILD or so for X3. Everything is kinda there but it takes way too much involvement in dumb rear end UX systems to "get it" and space combat in the end isn't quite that great really, its more an achievement to get there as the actual thing itself. It's a massive chore to get where you want to be and the story/characters/animation part of it is worse as most indie games from 15 years ago (that is X4 rn, which has not really improved on that front since the original X3).

I want to put a bit emphasis on "space opera" here which was a thing back then for space combat games. Some sort of more or less good staged storyline, otherwise rather simple systems to upgrade gear/ships. Very basic concepts of trading alter with Freespace which basically had the goal to get The Best Ship. It was very linear, focused and X series is exactly the contrary from early to later games you can do whatever but there is no real reason given other then for the sake of doing these things as all factions are completely bad represented and the story is borderline non-present. Its just not that kind of game, its simulation (which is unique at least) is the foreground and reason to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Delsaber posted:

Been missing Psygnosis pretty bad these days

so many wonderful games under their label back then