Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I would love to play HL:Alyx but my experience with it involves slamming my hands into my spinning ceiling fan and going "yeah maybe one day when I have a bigger home" lmao

My biggest issue is that it's secretly a horror game and I can't play more than about 30 min at a time in this stupid head crab hotel without getting freaked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

Away all Goats posted:

Midnight Suns is extremely good. If you liked XCOM 1/2 or any tactical games even a little bit you should check it out.

Hoping this is as good on deck as I imagine it being. Downloading to check it out but my backlog is big enough that I probably won't pull the trigger yet even at sale price.

Small plug because it's on sale and I don't think I've heard anyone talk about it--Maiden and Spell is a bullet hell fighting game with rollback where you are a bullet hell boss. Pretty fun pickup for the price if you have some friends to play with!

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

FutureCop posted:

I'm really looking forward to the next one they've got coming out, being Rabbit and Steel, closest thing to a MMO raid simulator without all the, well, horrible MMO bits. Got to play it at MAGfest and had a good time.

What was your experience like with Maiden and Spell? I was a bit more interested in Rabbit and Steel since it is coop instead of pvp, but does Maiden and Spell have a decent single player campaign (or maybe it does have coop and I'm just not seeing it?)

We picked it up for the multiplayer for a friends' gaming night, but it does have a single player story! It has an adjustable difficulty including a "don't lose lives" mode (cute mode) if you just want to see it all with zero pressure. You start with two characters in single player and unlock more, which is probably the right move as getting a feel for the attacks and tactics takes some practice. In multiplayer, they are all available from the start (unless there's hidden unlockable characters that I don't know about yet--only a couple hours spent in it).

I was unaware of Rabbit and Steel, but I'm *definitely* going to have to keep an eye on it now. Parts of the fights in Maiden feel very much like raids in the way that your attacks (and your opponents attacks) are on cooldowns, so you can strategize based on what is on cooldown, and big attacks will create a glowing 'danger zone' so you know to GTFO. I started having FF14 flashbacks but hadn't made that connection until you said "MMO Raid Simulator". From that gif, it very much seems like they're refining some of the ideas they started working on here.

e: I should also add that the sum of my bullet hell experience comes from Nier Automata, so I'm not an expert on the genre but I think it's a very approachable one. Apparently there's also a free demo out of it, so check that out maybe.

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 17, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Oscar Wild posted:

Te Lucas arts old dos adventure games are on sale. Anyone play them on the steam deck? Are they worth a shot if I've missed them? Specifically maniac mansion. Any of the others must play?

Loom is an underrated classic that did the Ocarina thing from Zelda years before Ocarina, I just downloaded it on the deck to see how it handles and...not well, it seems. I don't own Maniac Mansion to check, but showing 'playable' leads me to believe it might be better. Sam and Max Hit the Road is a personal favorite of mine, but is straight up unsupported on deck.

I didn't realize you couldn't get the OG Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, or Full Throttle anymore now that the remasters are out--or maybe those were never on steam to start with? Either way, that's a bummer, though the remasters are all pretty good (just not on sale!)

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

moosferatu posted:

Why do you say that? Scummvm works just fine on the Deck.

I didn't try it, but steam classifies the store version as unsupported for some graphical reason

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

Please buy the greatest game of all time, it's sixty hours of uncompressed FMV files and you'll need to switch hard drives like you're playing Monkey Island off floppy disks.

Bringing the Riven experience to modern day gamers.

(psst, please remake Riven)

vvv gently caress yeah! I thought it was kinda lost media!

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 22, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I have probably a dumb/naοve question.

I know there are websites like gamersgate where you can buy keys and activate them on steam, and they'll have sales that don't always correspond to Steam's sales. I know there are also a lot of shadier ones that offer super cheap keys cause of region fuckery or w/e. I don't know if steam actively punishes people for this or if that's just a rumor, but I was curious if there's a good price comparison website or list of more legitimate storefronts that I should be looking at? I've pretty much only ever bought games directly from steam, and googling "game name + steam key" is like SEO bait for a bunch of sites I've never heard of and don't trust. :shobon:

vvv thank you! I knew I'd seen something posted before but couldn't find it. Appreciate it!

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 5, 2023

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Zereth posted:

Yeah, but there's exactly one way to do that. No other route will work.

My personal issue was that the solution is basically signposted through your objectives. I was hoping to pick apart a clockwork world and struggle a bit to find the solution, but instead I got something much more linear.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Just got a painful rush of nostalgia for hours spent on Road to Jalalabad (the best bf2 map)

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yakuza cutscenes are part of why the series is great imo

Get fuckin hyped when the shirts start flying off, exposing their tattoos

Truly the dopest part especially since the tattoos relate to the character. Still waiting for a Yakuza with a mean-rear end Daruma back tat, I don't think they've used that yet

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Coupled with the console allusions, they pretty clearly don't want to say EMULATE GAMECUBE AND WII GAMES

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

RandolphCarter posted:

Where the hell is the remaster of Sam an Max Hit The Road?! :argh:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

look at the gams on her! yowza zowie wowie

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

she's got legs that go on forever (they keep bifurcating)

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Well the blades are weightless, but we can clearly see in Episode 1 that carving open a heavy metal door takes significant effort. In the heat of combat, perhaps the force it takes to carve through flesh is enough to disrupt form, and so it is preferred to make shallow slashes with the tip. Obviously in certain situations it may be a strategic choice in a high stakes situation (Darth maul cleft in twain) or otherwise mechanically assisted (Vader cutting Luke's hand off).

Now someone tell me what a twilek's dick looks like

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Even more questionable than Va11 Hall-A itself?

Is that game controversial? I wanted to try it but feel like I used to see a lot of Jill pfps on chuddy types. Bad reason to avoid it I'm sure...

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I love big mandibulae!!!!

Shake those fat mandibussae for me

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

kazil posted:

You are aiming your eye at a word and then reading it. It's basically the same thing as a FPS

Visual novel where you center your cursor over words and click on them and they gib and change what's going on in the story

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Owl Inspector posted:

Pentiment: I am arriving at what I think is the big decision point of act 2 and I know I’m going to feel bad no matter what I do, just like act 1

A nonzero number of people are about to be very upset at Andreas Maler, on top of the people who are already upset from the first act

Just don't gently caress it up too badly or you'll get him killed off

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Give me Hobbiton no Natsuyasumi.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

OzFactor posted:

That's a pretty interesting bundle in that there probably isn't a single person in the world that doesn't have one of HK, Bloodstained, and Blasphemous that doesn't also have the other two. Or maybe like 90% all three and 99.9% two of three.

I own blasphemous but not the other two. But I don't like metroidvanias much so it's not really for me.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

No Wave posted:

hey everybody. this poster hasnt played hollow knight.

Maybe I'll get into metroidvanias in my 40s. I'm sure it's great on steam deck but right now my deck is a SMT3 machine for whenever I finish my projects around the house and have an hour before bed.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Hell yes give me depressing news on my birthday

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

fez_machine posted:

There are many many Monkey Island games without Gilbert's involvement and Gilbert was not the sole creative driving force of what made the games good.

Gilbert was involved with 1, 2, and the most recent right?

3 was good. 4.....eh. Did telltale do 1 or 2 seasons? I don't honestly know if I ever heard boo about those.

I'd say the man's track record is decent even if auteur theory is bunk.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Environmental, social, and corporate governance. New chud dogwhistle for when they see something woke like removing panty shots of a 16 year old.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

HopperUK posted:

And there's a burial chamber about where the minty bit would have been in a pyramint

Britain got a real life Willy Wonka inventing chocolate fruits and pyramids with mint entombed within and they name him "Terry"

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

MMF Freeway posted:

good lord don't post that cringe poo poo here

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

EVERYONE SHUT UP NEW GOLDEN IDOL MYSTERY DLC JUST HIT

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1697250243283427637?s=20

Are they gonna keep stealth dropping stuff like this? Love it, that's my evening sorted.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Even if it's a crap game, it's kind of insane that a hyped AAA game just gets disappeared after ~3 years.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Can't wait for the Jill of the Jungle reboot to be decried as woke

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

pseudorandom name posted:

Good news! Super ZZT was released in 1991.

And you can find a pretty good adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide for it.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

- Lmao at the somnodrome. That was both funny and unexpected and a moral dilemma on top

I've only seen one so idk if this means something else but gently caress Melville I'm trying it

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Photography is really fun In VR, I've really wanted a photo focused game for a while. Really looking forward to this.

E: I just realized how hard the ending's gonna hit when you've spent the game taking selfies with your pals.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

You're thinking of Yeah! You Want "Those Games," Right? So Here You Go! Now, Let's See You Clear Them!

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Orv posted:

Please write a meat beating manifesto about your training regimen

Just in case I guess I should point out this is a ska joke that probably only I find funny

Street Fight Manifesto is a p good username

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

exquisite tea posted:

I bought both D:OS2 and BG3 in Early Access and did not regret it. I think Larian is atypical in that they utilize the early access period as it probably was originally intended, to gain user feedback and overhaul major game systems across an extended development period. A large part of the reason why the first act of BG3 in particular is so reactive and detailed is because Larian got to let it cook and kept adding new permutations when players were like "well why can't I do XYZ"

Larian patched endings for the characters in AFTER 1.0. If I'd known I was going to get an unsatisfying ending, I would have waited.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I don't mind the timed defense as I can usually pull it off (if it's critical on higher difficulties then I agree, it should be cut for a turn based rpg). Never figured out the timing on the Y presses tho, it seems to be a touch before the circle hits the border? I'd blame my wireless controller but I have no problem aceing karaoke songs.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

awesmoe posted:

i want magic carpet, that poo poo was dope

I only had the demo on a CD and had no idea what was going on but I have many fond memories of making myself so sick I'm sure I turned green. Would play again in a heartbeat.

Surprised I haven't heard of a spiritual successor in VR tbh. The one Descent got is amazingly nauseating.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Perestroika posted:

Aside from that, the game also has very granular difficulty options, which let you simply disable the timed and/or gateway instability storms altogether.

Weird to me that they go through all the effort of this (which I appreciate a LOT, by the way--my eyes aren't so good anymore/I don't have an OLED so it's nice to be able to turn on loot highlighting and brighter nights), but then make a massive post about how the saving system is sacrosanct to the design. You can already disable losing your loot on a failed run and you could save scum if you really wanted since it saves when you enter a zone. I don't personally have issues with the current save game arrangement but it feels like a weird hill to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I'd kill for someone to rerelease all the old TLC educational games. Not really value for me beyond nostalgia, but I'd love to share them with my niece and nephew.

Though Zoombinis (not a tlc game) still kicks rear end even if some of the puzzles are pretty simple. That pizza making minigame owns.