Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Sekiro was my least favorite souls game, but it was still really good, I was just too bad at it to try and finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Phantom Brigade seems really impressive from the demo, great that it comes out this month.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I mean, what's the point of continued development if you have a player base of 100 people and you are happy where the game is after 7 years?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
the Boundary demo is until the 13th.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
When I played Boundary the matchmaking had us 5v2 and everyone was a sniper and most people left after 5 minutes. I then uninstalled it. I also don't think it bodes well that on a free weekend they only have 1,300 people playing. When it is a paid game, will it have half of that at launch?

Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 11, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Archmage Rises seems really cool, apparently it has been in development for nine years and plans to release this year. I liked the art a lot and the systems under the game seem pretty deep, going to keep on eye on this to see how much it launches for.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Also Archmage Rises is going to be $30, not $5.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The 7th Guest posted:

Affogato

Here's one to keep an eye on in the future. A combination of coffee-shop game (ie Val-Hall-A) and reverse tower defense game, with additional Persona-esque side activities to pass time and increase your stats.

It's not anywhere near on the level of those games in terms of ambition, as the cutscenes are either with a couple of VN drawings or chibi sprites in the world that don't emote. But it's an enjoyable mix, with a lot of funky music and everything boopin to the beat. In the TD segments, you place your heroes on the lane via cards COME BACK WAIT STOP. it's just set dressing for "if you have X points you can summon this hero", it's not a buncha randomized attack cards or w/e. Each class offers something different, from tanking to pure offense to healing to charge attacks. In the coffee shop, customers talk to you while you brew them coffee, with a process that feels like a lite take on Cook Serve Delicious, only with dragging things around and not, you know, the avalanche of customers swarming you.
I enjoyed this demo, it was also like 3 hours long, it kept going and going. The reverse tower defense mechanics took a but to get used to. Making coffee for people was chill.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Returnal Is really an amazing game from the looks, sounds design, guns, everything except for the part where I have to play the same level over and over. Part of it may be that I am bad, but I think I have played about 3 hours and am about done. Not a big fan of the meta progression type games like this.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 23, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I didn't have any issues running the demo at 3440x1440 with a 3080, and I thought the presentation in Phantom Brigade was really neat, but I question whether I like the timeline turn based gameplay. It's a neat game, but I felt like I was missing some of the mechanics. Price is better than I thought it would be though so I may buy it anyway.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Actually, performance is better for me than I thought. The in game v sync was causing the frame cap to not work. Turning v sync off in game gives me much more reasonable GPU usage.
That could be it, I always turn off v-sync first thing in games.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think the tutorial intentionally gives you one really good hand. You can also use abilities to wild cards, change suits, or change the card value up or down one.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I only wanted Jurassic World so here's the rest:

Biomutant
4F3YV-AJ878-LJ3ZG

Edge of Eternity
4EH0M-KR5T8-IQ4LL

Hero's Hour
3WZ9D-G5NR0-ENDKE

Rogue Lords
53R36-4NCVR-YPQ3H

Demon Turf
459GQ-DGWTV-6KEEL

Golden Light
3ZW3A-23CMG-WPFF2

Monster Crown
47PN2-GZDBF-VBD7M

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Sorry you missed it, I was going to wait until the thread was more active so people who post here would get them, but seems like no one is posting in the Steam thread today so I just posted 'em.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't played it, but I saw a video recently on Ghostlore which is a diablo2 like in EA.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1783280/Ghostlore/

It's got great art I think, not sure how it plays.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully no more of those dumb slides they put on every level.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

John Murdoch posted:

I just wish there was a solution to the problem. I picked up Filcher, which is an indie noir Thief throwback only to realize part way through the first level that there was a coil whine-esque screaming coming from my PC and the room was heating up. Because this little tiny Unity stealth game that uses 2D sprites for enemies was cooking my GPU for no adequately explained reason.

Turning on v-sync made the fan whining diminish slightly, but it was still unhappy about it.
The solution is just cap your framerate to your refresh rate in the GeForce menu, or another third party utility.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Jossar posted:

Anybody play Archmage Rises yet? I liked the demo from what I saw of NextFest, but I'm not sure how that translates to the full game (albeit still in early access).
The demo was the full game, so it's literally what the demo was with a large amount of bug fixes. I replayed the demo like a week ago right before they took it down and it was still really buggy, but also it's a cool game I plan on getting at some point. I just ended up getting Battle Bros and Shadows of Doubt instead to give it more time to cook.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
FYI, Spiritfarer is currently 80% off in Steam so if that is the only game that interests you, it's cheap.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/972660/Spiritfarer_Farewell_Edition/

Edit: I see it was already pointed out, my bad.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
That Starship Troopers game is really good except that there is really only one planet and two modes, so not a lot of variety, still really fun to play. It's 16 player co-op in case people didn't know, and it gets pretty intense, especially when trying to extract, good fun, price is right.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Metro: Last Light Complete Edition is free on Steam right now fwiw. Exodus is $7.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The 7th Guest posted:

New page, continuing the event from today:

Outbreak Island (2023) is a sandbox survival-horror FPS where monsters roam at night, but the electricity also goes out at night, so you go into facilities with deactivated security/power to arm yourself and upgrade your equipment.
they appear to have a free version of this game releasing on Aug.22nd fwiw.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1804630/view/3350135361883499717

quote:

Single player campaign with a thriller story. Pay attention to clues and use your camera to collect evidence. The answer has never been so close.

A diverse open world that lives by its own laws. Whether the island becomes a trap or a comfortable habitat is up to you!

Night raids of the Transformed on your base. Protect your home and it will give you many cozy evenings by the fire, a warm bed and a lot of crafting opportunities.

Also games I have been playing. Mechabellum is an online auto-battler mech game that is really amazing, It has plenty of single player content, so don't be afraid of the multippayer focus, but it really is a multiplayer game, 1v1, 2v2 and tournaments.

I also just bought Vividlope and something I didn't realize from the demo is that this really is inspired by pacman. I'm 4 hours in and these is still a lot of content, and the levels vary a lot, so doesn't really get boring.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

The 7th Guest posted:

Okay, this is gonna be a long post, so I'm going to try to condense it as best I can for the three Saturday events. There's also a fourth event I'm not covering. I decided it'd be easier to look through the games ahead of time and write this up before the events, like I did with the Tribeca recap. Too much to cover! I tried to organize this in a way that sort of made sense, with a lot of like games paired together, but that wasn't always possible.

FUTURE OF PLAY
So many games, I appreciate you.

Also I'll mention it here, but Battlebit, is out on the 15th, it had 30k people playing the playtest today, so if you're looking for a shooter like battlefield with lots of people per map (up to 127v127) then check it out, it will be $15 and you can try it right now until tomorrow.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The Book Walker demo was good, very curious how big this game is, but the one story was pretty interesting and I like the different perspectives for in and out of the book. Also some light combat I wasn't expecting and some crafting.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sab669 posted:

Just finished this demo; it's probably because I love to climb irl but this seems exceptionally cool. Controls felt pretty intuitive for the most part, although if you fall you're kinda stuck figuring out some of the other controls before the tutorial tells you about them :v:
It seems really cool, but I got to the towers at the end of the demo I assume and had no idea what it wanted me to do after I got to some platform.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sab669 posted:

I ended up clipping into a beam sticking out, lowered myself down then swung until my momentum was high enough that I could jump over to the other tower. Then climb around the back and up.
That one beam was really buggy, I could not stand on it, and my rope would loop over and around it, other than that, game is really cool.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

victrix posted:

there's that auto battle rts, uhhhh, mechabellum? something like that

I have no idea if it's any good, it looks cool
It's really good, I play it all the time.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Idiootti posted:

That's why Bad Company 2 was great. Just people living in the moment, no jet in sight.
The attacks helis in that game were brutal.

Sab669 posted:

It seems strange to argue that a single person on a team of 30, 60, 120 people being able to single-handedly crush the entire enemy team is bad for their own team because that single player isn't on an objective.

If the entire enemy team is dead or dying who is there to contest the rest of your teammates from controlling the objectives?
I mean, people just respawn on the objective until you cap it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Battlefield 1 just had terrible guns and terrible shooting mechanics, the maps were cool though. I am not sure what they did to shooting, but I went back in to it recently since people seem to have nostalgia for it, and it was awful.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Mordja posted:

BF1's "terrible guns" were the best part, it actually gave them personality and specific use cases instead of the modern games' "this AR-15 variant fires slightly faster but with slightly more recoil."

Also lol if you don't think the scopeless Martini Henry is God's own personal firearm.
I mostly play Hell Let Loose so I don't mind single shot rifles, it's like the other person said, they just sprayed out glowing balls, and didn't hit where you shot. The visuals and maps were top notch, but it was not fun to play for me anyway.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think Balatro was the only good demo I played so far, a poker game, but pretty neat.

Kingdom Eighties is a looker, but very uninteresting gameplay for me anyway, I ducked out after a few minutes.

Warhaven is a F2P multiplayer third person sword fighting game, but I am not a fan of the presentation at all. I forgot the name of the two other games like this, but they are both a lot better but in first person I guess.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 20, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Cross-Section posted:

Devs had this to say:

It's a shame because the premise is really neat :sigh:
Sometimes I feel like Game Pass devalues games. Like I just bough this game for more money than a month of GP costs, but at the same time I have no interest in GP. Not a big deal, but my brain has a hard time buying games that they offer as part of the service.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think you can always tell if they are bots, it's why it's not really that fun to play against them. In Pubg, the bots were always so awful it was never a surprise when you killed them. I think the worst is when they don't tell you there are bots in a game, you play a few matches and think you're doing well, and then you get thrown in to the general population and it's a completely different game. The one game that did this was the arena game that had Portal guns, it really pissed me off.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Black Griffon posted:

lmao I've been thinking "maybe I should finally give it another try" because the last time I played was before my 3080 but I guess I'm hosed hey
It's still the same game, people are hyperbolic about the new dev team, but black matter wasn't the best either. Game is still fun and still has a large player base.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The graphics aren't my favorite in battlebit, but they allow a small team to do some cool things, like full level destruction and really detailed guns and animation. The game also has one of the best feeling shooting mechanics of any current FPS, and it can be addicting the way their sound design ties in to kills. It just feels really punchy.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

phantom brigade was a neat proof of concept but that's about it.
Yeah, I wanted to like it, but the fact is, it would have been better as just a turn based strategy rather than the weird timeline.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The guns and shooting in BF1 felt terrible. I know people like how aesthetics (though I am not sure how it felt like WW1) but the shooting part was bad. it's one thing 2042 has going for it really, but I play Battlebit these days which feels better than both.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

ZearothK posted:

Pentiment is a really special game, but there's something structural I dislike about it that I can't talk about without spoilers.
Yeah, I liked the game a lot, but came away with the same feeling.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

StrixNebulosa posted:

What hame is that?
I'm guessing Forza but only because I think I remember hearing about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

credburn posted:

Does anyone ever play these voice-chat-dependent games on public servers? I guess maybe like every few months I'll give it a shot, but it's always a hilarious nightmare of slurs and people blasting music through the headphones or little kids just screaming and screaming.

I have a good group of friends who play these games, but they refuse to use in-game mechanics like the walkie-talkie, instead just chatting over Discord, which I feel defeats the purpose :(

I watched some people play it with randoms, seemed like a good community. I also play Hell Let Loose with randoms all the time with no issue.