Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Fuligin posted:

ds3 has some v attractive areas (irithyll! Dragon monastery place!) but the palette is so muted and dull a lot of the time

Which is sensible, given the ash-and-dust, "heat-death of the universe" motif, but I agree. DS2 pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

You're going to be completely lost and not know whether to shoot a demon or hug it.

A little pat on the head

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

anilEhilated posted:

You should really go visit the friend napping in front of that drawbridge to the left.

Speaking of things this thread was missing:

That must be some Australian bird or something because all these new world birds suck

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Cool, thanks!

Goddamn do I respect your editorial bracketing

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Ed: nah

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 8, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

People desperate to rush in and die on the hill of "Witcher 3 has bad combat" is baffling to this day.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum combat is Not Good and I don't understand anyone who thinks it can be good.

Same but in reverse

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Honestly it looks like VG is saying people who don't want people to complain about the new HP game will have to deal with people complaining about the new HP game for good reasons? So I'm not quite sure. I hope this doesn't come across as combative.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the main story was utterly forgettable

What are you talking about

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sab669 posted:

video games are a poo poo medium for story telling :shrug:

malarkey

Opera's a bad medium to tell a story but they're still better for having them

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

explosivo posted:

I played so much Fight Night back in the day I got blisters on my thumbs, if undisputed is supposed to be a new one of those I'm very down with that.

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about Fight Night, but that was one of my college games. God drat Fight Night was amazing.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Quake 1 definitely had co-op in some form, but I can't remember if it was the whole single player set of missions or a special selection.

EDIT: Yep, all of Quake 1 is playable in co-op, Quake 2 too. This site may help you out as you go!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 3, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh goodness this seems problematic for sure

https://twitter.com/PistolRick/status/1622606193481994240

Ragequit posted:

Yer a wizard, Parry!

absolutely yes

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Frankly I think all of them are candidates for "least necessary DLC" on any game I've played in the last five years. The three missions are fine, but not at all necessary. The planes are all "these are just more planes" and most of them look pretty stupid to boot

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

skeletronics posted:

Pathfinder WotR is a good game, but I already have it: GN6IR-4XAER-AYEM2

Thank you, my friend! Great timing, I had this store page open just this morning.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Mescal posted:

is rdr2 a "know before two hours is up" kind of game?

You'll know if you hate the weighty character movement in that time, but probably not much else. Which I think is fine because that movement system seems to be the thing people fight about the most (I love it)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Mescal posted:

oh and i forgot to ask, does it require another launcher or another account or anything like that?

Yeah, Rockstar Launcher and account. It works fine for me on the Deck, with the usual pain in the rear end typing on the touch keyboard.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'd say no. I have one and it's heavier, which is good, because like the gun in Snatch when it breaks which it apparently prone to doing you can just hit someone with it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

The answer then and now is "poorly compressed audio and cutscenes." Especially in early CD games.

TIE Fighter was 5 floppy disks with midi music. The CD version's game content was exactly the same size, but it had all the actual Star Wars music and a TON of recorded voice lines filling the rest of the CD's space.

Some CDs were nice because you could put them into CD players and listen to the games soundtrack. Grim Fandango and Tropico were stellar.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 22, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Dredge loving rules

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Meat Boy is a franchise?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I can't wait for New New Vegas

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't get first person shooters they're just centering your screen on enemies and pressing the shoot button?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'm just poking fun at you, to be fair I didn't like Everspace much for too long because there's really not much else to it.

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's literally no difference between FPS and Spot the Difference games, they're both about moving your mouse cursor over an object and clicking

I start my day by plugging in my SNES Super Scope to play a few games of picross

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

GhostDog posted:

I thought Oxygen in Subnautica was an enjoyable and meaningful progression, but food and water I disabled immediately.

Yeah just to pile on, the food and water is just pointless busywork that really feels like it's there to arbitrarily stress you during the early game. Disable it, oxygen management is enough.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

By their own loving standard, yes, it is for trying games.

quote:

STEAM REFUNDS
You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it.

It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within the required return period, and, in the case of games, if the title has been played for less than two hours.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

Witcher 3's combat was good once you understand how it works and I'll die on that hill. :colbert:

same

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I respect PCs refusing on principle to willingly render Cal's hideous facial hair.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't like them at all but knowing that the big limbless orb or large cute creature or whatever they replace it with is actually an invisible, monstrous, secret spider wearing something else's skin is worse. It's why the fuckin mimics in Prey suck so much.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 28, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Your Casio keyboard OS is a liability to support and choosing to be so indignant about devs not supporting your continued use of something the makers themselves have abandoned is an extremely dumb hill to die on.

(hi stux)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Ahhh, the perfect UI change for an old man - barely one.

EDIT wait oh poo poo, they officially added overlay pinning:

quote:

We've also added the ability to pin windows from the overlay, so that they can appear on top of the game while in-game. Opacity level is adjustable, and only the contents of the window will be pinned - excluding the title bar and other extraneous UI. This new functionality is available for Notes, Guides, Discussions, and the web browser (yes, you can watch movies while you play games if you really want to).

Nice.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 28, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Not really - there are Runekeepers and Loremasters, but they're more like...combat druids/alchemists than wizards.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 4, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I know they did a big QOL patch that added some new buildings and stuff very recently, but I loved it even in its early form so may want to read into the changes for anything specific you didn't like. Haven't seen a bug myself, though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

City of Heroes might have been the worst for this, as you anticipated getting your first travel power and zooming around like like a superhero.

The way you'd quickly leap into the air and then practically freeze in place on takeoff was hysterical.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Power Wash Simulator is pretty good, but IMO it only becomes transcendent with gyro controls. I'll sit in my office chair with the Steam Deck and just gently rotate back and forth, sweeping it around like an actual washer wand. It's really pleasant.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 19, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

An immersive sim is any game that gets a bunch of old dorks wound up about the definition of an immersive sim

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

And it's lockpicks and flushable toilets

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Tamba posted:

Immersive sims are roguelikes?

Checks out

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

"Shattle"

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

The Deponia people? .... huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

mystes posted:

They can fix 1 and just hope that people who are attracted by the LOTR name and don't play many games won't care about 2, but it seems like those people might be turned off by 3 as well, so I'm not sure this will turn into a lovely wizard game situation where there's a disconnect between early reviews and normal people

Yeah and hell, most of the longer takes I've seen say that the core gameplay is just really weak, and everything they added as padding sucks worse.