Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

I wonder how many people who are upset by the idea of people skipping cutscenes are imagining that this is happening in their favorite 80-hour dialog-based RPGs and stuff like that.
There's a guy over in the RPG thread who expressed exactly that stance once, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You can't even get the REAL bullshit going in D&D anyway, not enough flexibility building characters. Call me when you play a system where you can find a way to destroy the entire planet, if not universe, on a starting character's budget.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a thread on morrowind modding around here? I'm getting the urge to play it but obviously not vanilla. (Don't think that'd even run right on windows 10.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I recently had the same urge and used OpenMW plus a modified version of the 'I heart Vanilla: Director's Cut' on this web page.

It's been great so far, but the process for modding it is kind of annoying. I eventually got it to work and added a few extra mods that I was interested in (at the bare minimum I suggest one of the 'expansion delay' mods to avoid getting attacked by an expansion assassin on like your very first night in the game).
See I'd be more interested in the "Total Overhaul" one except there's no way I'm manually downloading 419 mods

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

They have easy one click download mod lists for Skyrim and FO4 and such so I'm surprised that hasn't reached Morrowind.
If I'm reading the site correctly there's a tool which can fire and forget download an entire mod list from that site... but not the "total overhaul" or "like total overhaul but a compromise so you can manually assemble it without taking six weeks" ones. :orks:

EDIT: also it's a command line tool

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, you want Wabbajack for that: https://www.wabbajack.org/

Pretty good if you don’t want to spend hours modding a Elder Scrolls game. Just avoid the any NSFW compilations, unless you know exactly what you’re getting into :cthulhu:
I've used it before, but: Wabbajack has very little for morrowind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

lih posted:

it's planned for release in winter 2020
:hmmyes: Can't wait.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

[s]Anybody had problems with the Gestalt: Steam and Cinder demo not starting? I press "play" and nothing ever shows up.[s] nevermind, nothing's launching now

Also, Wandering Sword is pretty cool, I recommend it.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 10, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jossar posted:

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder (also reviewed by FutureCop) personally hates you if you try to play it with a keyboard, or at the very least seems to really want you to be playing it with a controller instead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

From what I recall of the trailers and the premise, isn't that idea explicitly stated? X targets, got to get them all in one day?
Yeah, but there's exactly one way to do that. No other route will work.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Waste of Breath posted:

My personal issue was that the solution is basically signposted through your objectives. I was hoping to pick apart a clockwork world and struggle a bit to find the solution, but instead I got something much more linear.
One of the targets Mysteriously Vanishing From The Entire Gameworld after the first time period really narrowed things down, too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

that's why i've instead been going through the entire Steam demo list the past couple of weeks and downloading/earmarking demos so I have more luxury of time (and also why i have so many downloaded). i've gone from # to T to this point, so i just have a few more letters to complete my list. and then i guess i'll focus on stuff that's out now so I can maybe make some spring sale purchasing decisions

e: what i mean is, just hitting enter in the steam search, checkmarking demo, sorting by title, then just scrolling down the near infinite waterfall of existing demos, which means i get stuff from the last couple of demo fests, stuff that's been around for a couple of years, and then demos of some stuff that has been on Steam since like 2008 (lol). this has been interesting for me because i get to see stuff that got abandoned, stuff i've never heard of that is still on the way, and stuff i've never heard of that already is out (most of which have less than 15 reviews on Steam).
A lot of demos out during like, the demo events will stop letting you launch them when the event is over, if you haven't noticed.

kazil posted:

Tunic has a god mode where you don't take damage.
Also eventually patched in something between "normal full difficulty" and "you are literally impossible to harm". After I finished so I'm not entirely sure what it does, but it's there now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Returning to Wolcen to check out its endgame update - they reset my online character to level 40 and since I forgot how to play it anyway I decided to restart. Found the game is actually 300% less janky in every single way if I simply chose not to play online, which is nice but also raises questions as to why my online latency delays cutscenes starting until after the level has rendered onscreen.

The stat tree is still really boring - the usual +2 or +5% with a handful of nodes that may grant something as drastic as +75% Dodge if you just got hit. The skill system is okay but overwhelmingly filled with "options" such as +10% Damage or -10% Resource Cost. My favourite activity in this kind of game is putting points in things, so I'm hugely disappointed here that my points feel very arbitrary. It does seem as if they've drastically reduced the sponginess of bosses though, which is nice.

I am enjoying the story the second time through. I feel like they may have reworked the earlier portions of it because I didn't remember most of it. It's still dumb (in a good way) and the MC is a classic mid-10s bro-sass protagonist. It is however hard to empathise with someone whose dad says "hey, don't loving look for your sister or I will end you" and then when the squad shows up to end you while you're in the middle of looking for your sister he's all like "I can't believe dad would do this, there has to be someone else behind it". He loving told you he'd literally kill you if you did this, in person, to your face.

Loot is okay. It comes in all the classic colours.
An important question is if those stat nodes or +10% damage options actually work now. IIRC at launch a lot of them didn't. You'd put points in and nothign would happen, but since it's an action game and no individual node was a huge change it was hard to tell.

It still has the magic and weapon skill resourcesbe one bar and using one pushes you into the other side so if you dual-wield a weapon and spell thing you can just spam skill forever, right?

explosivo posted:

Wolcen seems fine and possibly even good after the updates, it's cool to see that they continued supporting it in spite of the lukewarm reception at launch. That said, I'm so glad Last Epoch exists because it's better in just about every way and it means I don't have to play Wolcen to get my ARPG fix from a game that didn't come from Blizzard.
Have you tried Grim Dawn or Chronicon?

chird posted:

Inquisitor seems interesting as a diablo with guns, but I've only played 30 mins. It's got that Warhammer million-dlc problem I don't like how if you enable controller then m&k stops working. But it feels more like a m&k game anyway.
In my experience, there's. Problem with depth. Like, you know how your equipment determines your active skills? Other than introducing a few new types as it goes on that's. All you get. Bolters, flamers, plasma, etc, that's all and they always have the same skills on them. Nothing huge/game-changing in the passive tree, either. Although I did only play one character, so maybe others are less bad about this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

They seem to, since I did have a problem with half my points not doing anything the first time around.

You can dual-wield a weapon and a spell thing and spam skills forever - but since there's no 'magic' weapon other than Staff it means if you want to be a spell-caster with a dagger or a pistol or something a little out there you've just dedicated your left-click button to draining your main resource because you can't rebind it away from the basic resource generating attack - you can't even have it as force-move. It probably works fine if you're a rage character wanting to cast some spells to get resources back rather than left-click but as a mage it sucks when firing a gun immediately deletes 10% of your mana and you're forced to have a button that fires your gun.
I believe the idea there is you split between, say, Gun and Spell, and then you never, ever just fire your gun, you spam Gun Spell until you're dry on Gun Mana, and then spam Spell until you're dry on Spell Mana, then go back to spamming Gun Spell. You don't do this if you want to be A Spellmans, you do it if you want to be a hybrid. I actually did this back at release, I'm just not sure if there was any benefit over going Pure Gun or Pure Spell. Especially with all the "oh yeah half or more of the stat nodes don't do anything" stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

I bet it is called Humongous because of Mad Max.

The sizes are probably related to its graphics. I forgot if it simply not loads extra features.
I believe you needed the CD in the drive for anything but a Humongous installation.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mescal posted:

? there is no cliff kicking in odyssey outside of a cutscene
You can get the ability to kick people and knock them back, and people are often near cliffs.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LLSix posted:

I upgraded my thief to a fencer, but almost all of the fencer powers need a rapier and almost all the thief powers need a dagger. Is there a way to have access to both powersets?
This is in fact what I think is one of the biggest weaknesses of Crystal Project, restricting unusual class combos so harshly like this.

Weapon using classes often have *some* abilities which don't care about weapon types, but a lot of the tree is, as you've noticed, useless. And this means that the "equip [weapon type]" passives are also almost always useless because sure, now you can equip Rapiers on Reaper! Too bad Reaper needs Scythes for its weapon-restricted skills so this doesn't help anything except maybe getting it off the ground long enough to actually learn Reaper abilities.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

There's also Endless Sky, but the combat in that has issues. The answer to every problem is to bring a massive fleet and let them vaporise everything while you twiddle your thumbs.
Which sucks because it's also trying to be Very Much Escape Velocity and I remember solving all my problems by outlying them in a tricked out pirate vaklyrie class IV in that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orv posted:

Cube World is back. Again. Somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV02AHItgV4
I can't wait to find out how this somehow makes the game even worse.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

Hello. Here is the entirety of the $3.00 The Lord of the Rings: Gollum™ - Emotes Pack, the pack that includes 6 iconic emotes inspired by the character Gollum, which you can use to proclaim "my Precious" and express a range of emotions in the game whenever you want:
  1. Gollum clasps his hands, whispers "my precioussss".
  2. Beetle flies around Gollum, he is surprised.
  3. Beetle lands in front of Gollum, he looks at it with concern and interest before it flies away.
  4. Beetle lands in front of Gollum, he looks at it with interest before it flies away.
  5. Beetle flies around Gollum, he looks at it angrily.
  6. Beetle flies around Gollum, he swipes at it and fails to kill it.

Isn't this a single-player game?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

I think the real troublemaker is the X button. You see A vs B or even Y you think "Oh right, playstation uses shapes and there is no Y button, Nintendo has the letters the other way around."

I see X on screen and either am playing Zelda reaching for where X would be on an Xbox pad. Or playing street fighter 6 with a playstation controller with my brother, "Press X for random character. I know where the X on a playstation is I am not an idiot" aw gently caress it is the PC version with Xbox prompts it happened again.

I've used every source controller for these X buttons. If I had my way it'd be mandatory to display the four button layout and highlight which one to press for prompts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I just got around to trying the Fortune's Run demo and is it just me or do you die incredibly fast? Maybe the game just expects a lot more skill/reflexes than I have but the bullet time doesn't last very long and you just evaporate if you take more than one or two hits.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah, it's very kill fast/die fast and you are I think intended to rely heavily on stealth. It's really not a run and gun FPS, if that's what you were expecting. You can adjust damage taken in the difficulty settings, unless they've changed it from the Realm's Deep demo.

Something that might throw you (it was not obvious to me the first time I played) is that the game doesn't expect you to successfully complete the final exam in the tutorial. It's not impossible to do (I've done it), but it's way harder than the rest of the demo (the last fight, in particular), and when you inevitably get owned they offer you a by.

Oh I skipped the final exam, I was complaining about in the club after you first actually get to enemies and it didn't seem possible to sneak up on the first one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i was enjoying that game until i didnt know where to go at one point cause every location seemed locked for some reason or another. So i spent like twenty minutes climbing the mountains near the starting area and managed to get to the top by abusing broken geometry and precise jumps.

At the top, i could see a whole other area that i hadnt been to yet on the other side of the mountains and there were a bunch of collectable coins nearby so i felt like i was finally about to make some progress. I went towards the closet coin and when i was about 20-30 feet away, i hit an invisible wall and was teleported back to the ground where i started

fuckin bullshit developer putting invisible teleporting walls in a metroidvania. Hell no, uninstalled after that
I crashed and burned when I did something, and was a a loss for what to do so I went shopping.

And then, later, discovered what I'd needed to do was immediately turn around and go back into the area I'd just cleared where a shop had silently appeared and buy an expensive item for finding extra-hidden chests which I could no longer afford, and there weren't any significant caches of money left anywhere I could find, so I had to raise like 800 coins by grinding enemies which dropped a few and took ages to respawn and I just quit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

It's still incredibly bland, unfun and unfunny.
Didn't the New Remastered Edition make the graphics look worse by slapping a filter over everything and also making some terrain look more boring?

FutureCop posted:

Also I was curious as it seems like people treat RTWP games like the plague and strongly favor turn-based: is there a reason for this, or is it just an exaggerated drum people like to beat, like hating pineapple pizza?

Okay, see, there's two "RTWP"s. There's "literally anything where you can pause and still give orders/commands" which includes stuff like Mass Effect, and then there's "Did you like Baldur's Gate? BECAUSE BOY WE SURE DID".

Runa posted:

I'm one of those people that is consistently vocal about my dislike for RTWP rpgs, and I'm going to give it to you straight: there's nothing inherently wrong with the format. It's just that some of the most famous and most influential examples are bad at it.

:words:
:hmmyes:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think the last RTwP game I played (not counting Baldur's Gate 1) was Masquereda: Songs and Shadows. It was fine, but of course the RTwP system, as it so often does, turns into a Pause and Pause and Pause and Pause... system, since enemies and AI PC's get into a clusterfuck fight and you routinely need to adjust the targeting of enemies or skills.
At which point many of the supposed benefits of being RTWP instead of turn-based evaporate and it turns into Turn-Based But More Annoying And With Less Accurate AOE Targeting

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Croccers posted:

They posted somewhere on the forums, but they're having issues with both publisher and Microsoft about getting patches out.
And stated their publisher rushed it our the door, too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

the human kind or the other kind
wildshaped druid

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Objective Action posted:

Unity was claiming they could retroactively determine the amount of installs because of "lol, proprietary stuff, just trust us bro". Which implies they are either tracking that somehow and not telling anyone (hello GDPR) or just lying. :shrug:
I recall somewhat credible inside employee statements that they simply hadn't developed the actual method of tracking anything yet. So when the statements were being super evasive and vague about how the tracking was going to work, that's because they haven't figured it out themselves yet.

I mean, you or I might think "can I actually track this at all" is something you should figure out first but we're not highly paid executives/board members so...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

So does Payday 3 still have stealth? Like, in a multiplayer horde shooter?

Because I do not care if they are trying to replicate hiests, gently caress that noise
I hear you no longer need to choose between "being able to stealth" and "being able to survive things going loud" with your gear.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

What's going on here? Is Blake Stone worth negative money?

Bigger discount and blake stone is $2 not on sale.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah but where would you put your :coolbird:?
:yeah:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phigs posted:

Endgame in release Diablo 3 was farming for gear at the highest level you could manage (well, buying from the AH was more efficient, either by grinding gold, running the AH, or using real money, but still...) so you could take on higher Torment levels.
I am pretty sure "Torment" didn't exist before Reaper. It went Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and The Italian Word For Hell for difficulties.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sprenk posted:

All I remember about Diablo 3 was every chapter's cartoon villain constantly showing up as a hologram to go "gently caress YOU NEPHALIM". I know it's dated to complain about the D3 story/writing but jesus. D2's cinematics still hold up today.
Don't forget yelling at the player character about how the major setback they just inflicted on the demon lord was actually not a problem, don't put in the newspaper that I shrank and turned into a corncob.

Jarvisi posted:

Wasnt this the warcraft 3 campaign?
The expansion, and just Arthas.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Quick Divinity Original Sin 2 question - we’re about to leave Fort Joy and go to the next act. Can we go back? If we can’t, what about the magic mirror?
At launch you didn't get access to the mirror until you left.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mycot posted:

I don't think changing your prices is technically not allowed, it's just that normally that will make people grumble and maybe stop purchasing. What made it absurd in this case is that there are existing games built in Unity and it is not trivial (or even feasible) to move games off Unity, so they were basically holding people hostage.

Previous terms of service said you were allowed to keep using the one current when you started as long as you didn't update to a new version of the engine, which they tried to disappear off the internet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Quill posted:

Can confirm. For me it has been well worth the price. They just shifted the release window to next year, due to Path of Exile 2, so maybe that will give enough time to get the multiplayer functionality on track. I certainly hope so, because otherwise the game is solid and the team has plenty of gas in the tank development-wise.
I believe they have stated that "finishing the campaign" is something they hope to do for 1.0 but are not going to commit to it definitely happening.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

fez_machine posted:

oh yeah. just from watching the trailers leading up to the release it feels like there's been drama where they lost the guy who did the funny voice on all their previous work because it's all gameplay and none of the in your face humour that lent them virality

edit: oh

That is an interesting thing to call somebody you "don't hate".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orv posted:

Gear score as we currently know it has been around since Wrath of the Lich King, at least.
No, that was a similar, but different, thing. Items in WoW have (or had, I haven't touched it in ages) item level, which determines how big their actual game mechanics numbers were. But what those stats were still mattered, so something of higher item level could be worse for your character's build because the actual stats it had were bad ones. The important parts were the damage and armor and crit and stuff. (there was a point in Wrath of the Lich King where a specific rogue build wanted a specific dagger over anything that could come out of higher-difficulty content,, purely because it was slightly faster than any other available dagger at max level, meant they hit with poison more often and thus did much more damage despite the dagger's otherwise lower stats.)

Whereas here:

Serephina posted:

Stuff like this

And no, probably not.
Notice how the big number is just the gear score? That is probably the most important number on the gear, and the actual armor is less important. They've cut out the middle part of Item level -> Actual Game Mechanics Numbers -> Character Better Or Worse. Hell, despite the lack of any offensive stats on it the player will probably have their damage go up when they equip the one with the higher Biggest Font Size Number.

The difference between the two can be small in practice, but it's important. Using the item level/gear score directly means that there's fewer choices to make, or possible to even offer the ability for players to make, on the developer end.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

Steam Thread: PYF E.Y.E. Achevements

Mzbundifund posted:

I played EYE and I didn’t understand most of it so instead I made it my objective to get the stat requirements needed to equip the biggest revolver in the shop. I succeeded and it was absolutely worth it. It destroyed a helicopter in 3 shots and one of those shots might have missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pleads posted:

hair with inverted normals,
What does this mean?