Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

John Murdoch posted:

Supraland Crash is such a bummer. I knew going in it wasn't going to be as good as the base game, but it's worse in an almost scientifically precise way where every aspect is exactly 65% worse across the board.

On a positive note, Six Inches Under is just as good and possibly even slightly better than the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Bad Seafood posted:

How does the Steam port of Dwarf Fortress run? I vaguely recall the OG version giving some people a lot of trouble, even though it's all displayed in ACSI graphics, due to how much stuff it had to process in the background.

I assume about the same, since the new graphics is just 2D stuff and not very demanding.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
With DS2 they made bonfire warping much more powerful, which is good from a gameplay perspective (apart from the gotta warp to level up part), but that meant they didn’t need to make the overall game world a tight knot, which meant less major shortcuts and a more «flat» world feel.

DS3 and Bloodborne were a bit better but the worlds were still more spread out than DS1.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

JollyBoyJohn posted:

whats the best platformer? (on pc) I really liked the Rayman games but I haven't played anything new from the past decade or so

Supraland (and its DLC/standalone expansion if you want more)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

RandomBlue posted:

I do not actually think you're a psycho and I understand what you wrote just fine, the weirdly hostile part was a joke. I don't like when games don't respect my time and IMO it's not fun to walk/run/drive the same path 50 times instead of being able to fast travel once I've travelled there already. Though for an RPG I kinda like a chance at random encounters when fast travelling.

I think you misunderstand - in Oblivion, you can fast travel to any city on the map as soon as you're done with the tutorial. John Murdoch played the game instead as if they could only fast travel to those places after first going there by foot, like any other non-city map marker in Oblivion. They didn't drop fast travel completely.

(That reminds me, do the wagons outside cities in Skyrim allow you to travel to any city from the start, or only cities you have visited?)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Phigs posted:

I feel like playtesters should have access to a video lets play they can load up if they get stuck because that's the actual real world conditions. The real test should be whether the player likes the game enough to hit up the walkthrough or if they're just done the moment they get stuck, and how they feel after having seen how to do it in the walkthrough.

pretty sure playtesters get told exactly what to do if they repeatedly get stuck, it is their job to test the full game after all

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Maybe the tester thought there had to be something down the left path, because if not why was it there? So they had to triple check if they missed anything

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Are there any Morrowind mods that grey out the dialog options you have already picked, like the later games?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Sloppy posted:

This sounds incredible, especially playing as some nobody caught up in something bigger. Huge, mazelike...I love it.

Closest thing to a fully modeled station is System Shock 1, 2 and 3 (Prey)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Outer Wilds small spoiler, should be safe to read: There's a dude in a hammock. Talk to him each time you encounter him to learn something useful.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 13, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Another Outer Wilds protip: Your ship computer can track objects and put a HUD marker on your screen pointing to them.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Just remember to put on your space suit before exiting the ship!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Also you don't need to do any of that. Morrowind is basically a perfect experience already and it's a deeply easy game to boot unless you run into a guy with a skinkblade.

What about the cliff racers?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Am I the only one that hates haptic triggers? Don’t mess with the force I need to push a button, keep it consistent!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Played a bit of a metroidvania called Vision Soft Reset, and despite the good reviews, I'm getting exhausted by it. The main character is way too weak, and the one boss I've encountered so far took like 30 tries. And now I got an upgrade wall running that seems to not work 50% of the time. Interesting concept for the game, though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Ragequit posted:

Neat, I enjoy massive fan projects like Nehrim, Enderal, etc.

https://youtu.be/Od2szAvNVxc

I hope I remember to check it out in 2025

The graphics style somehow seems worse than vanilla Skyrim, though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I "cheated" midway through Obra Dinn by randomly picking triples of people as deckhands who drowned, which because of the Big Event, turned out to have a 50% chance of matching

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is it ok to use key resellers for games with shithead devs? I want that upcoming Factorio expansion but also don’t want to support them

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

just pirate it

Would be an acceptable solution if pirates didn’t stop releasing updates after the first couple patches

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Oh my God, Grayson Morley, you can't just ask people why they're black

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is Forspoken a reverse isekai? Because abandoned baby found in the middle of the street sounds a lot like she originally came from magic world as a baby

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

ultrafilter posted:

Do you know of any games that have this?

50 Cent: Blood On The Sand

(50 Cent was tangentially involved in the production, so it counts!)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
skipping cutscenes is like ordering a rotisserie chicken and just eating the skin

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It would be funny to go "giant buildings, whatever, not interested" in a linear shooter or something, but in an open world game it's a bit daft.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Volte posted:

In this case I really meant meme, because it's clear to me that they were referencing the popular meme format (which itself references the movie cliche), and not just earnestly using the movie trope directly.

Don't play it for whatever reason you want, such as not giving a poo poo about the game, or thinking it looks bad, but if you're writing off a game that you would otherwise be interested in because of this, well that's weird!

meme: using that line in real life, as if you were in a movie or video game

not meme: using that line in a movie or video game

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

EricFate posted:

I'm so relieved that they didn't screw up the Dead Space remake.

There's still time to screw up the PC version, which isn't released yet (I think)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

kazil posted:

Doubt there's too much they can do in an hour

I mean, it's possible it's got bad performance or is crash happy and PC reviewers have been pinky promised it will be patched at launch. Just remember: No preorders!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Every time someone mentions Syndicate 2012 I have to rock out a bit to this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B82l5Mk4bg

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What are the most graphically demanding games with stylized/unique art direction?

The standards (Cyberpunk 2077, Control, Metro Exodus) don't really do anything for me-- and I think it's because they're all going for cinematic realism with different color palettes. I'm curious if there's a video game equivalent of Into the Spider-Verse - that pushes current tech in a way that isn't just about repeating what's come before.

Teardown is pretty as gently caress if you like voxels

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I hate parry systems because I suck at timing

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
How do you even see how much GenMat you have in Meet Your Maker? The intervals at which I'm asked to upgrade the horrible biomutant seems odd and arbitrary. Also the game is no fun at the start when you have no counter to the "half a dozen grunts next to each other" levels.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I notice that you have a queen and jack of Metroidvanias, but no king or ace?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

What's the deal with Returnal? Why is everyone raving about it?

From what I've seen it just looks like any other shooter in the roguelite pile except with the AA coat of paint, and somehow I doubt it's best in the genre when it comes to gameplay.

It's really pretty and plays great (though I never managed to get past biome 3 on PS5). It's almost like a roguelite Metroid Prime.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
For some reviewers, the atmosphere and setting is enough to overcome the bad voice acting and the bugs. For others, it is not enough. It's that simple.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
post the most surprising game install sizes in your library

Not For Broadcast is a pretty niche indie game, but it's 50GB because it's all branching FMV stuff

Valheim is slightly above one single gigabyte

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Are there any good treepunchers/survival games that don't have that dumb "periodic attacks on your base" mechanic? I seem to recall you can turn it off in Grounded at least.

edit: also Satisfactory, since the monsters can't harm your factory at all

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

StarkRavingMad posted:

Planet Crafter has no enemies at all.

Two great suggestions that I forgot to mention (already played them, Below Zero too).

Planet Crafter is getting an update next week so I'll play through it again then!

Also, Raft technically has constant base attacks, but they are so often you get used to them, and after a certain upgrade they become a complete non-issue.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Played a bit of Ctrl Alt Ego during the weekend. I saw some people claim it was the best immersive sim in years, which I guess just means that immersive sims are a starved genre. It's...fine. The controls are floaty and the physics janky, and the "approach any way you want" gameplay seems to only give one or two options most of the time. Hacking and taking over enemy robots requires you to spend your most precious resource, which means that straight up combat is the most economic way to get through things, especially if you get the upgrade that turns scrap into ammo. Stealth is bad, mostly because of the aforementioned bad physics. I can't count the number of times I've teleported into a camera or something, and then got an alert an enemy attacked my main robot, because the robot continued sliding across the floor after I teleported out of it.

It's still an OK experience, but I'd suggest getting it on sale.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
System Shock Remake was supposed to start its closed beta today - and instead of giving each individual a single key, they somehow managed to upload a list of every single beta key to everyone. They quickly revoked all the keys, so now everyone is keyless again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Vermilion Skies!