Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Honesty very jealous of anyone playing Dark Souls 2 as their first Souls game in 2023. I love the game but it's tough giving up some of the mechanical/QOL improvements from the games that came afterwards. You have a very cool and weird and massive game ahead of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I frankly said to myself, "if you buy Elden Ring will you play it / actually beat any of the bosses in it? be sure. play 2 first, it'll go on discount again in the future" and I'm having a good time, so this has worked out. I'll build up a skillset for ER, too.

I still need to pick up Dark Souls 3 at some point, but no rush on that - I'm doing my best this sale to not buy things I won't play.

Dark Souls 3 is great and definitely the most refined entry of the trilogy but it loses a tiny bit of magic in that refinement. Dark Souls 2 feels like them coming off the high of Dark Souls being a surprise hit and saying "okay, if we got away with THAT, then let's try THIS" -- they hadn't quite figured out the formula of what makes the games stick at that point, so there are a lot of novel ideas in it. Some work, some don't, but that's the nature of new ideas.

edit: ^^^^ I think a lot of this applies to your post above. It's definitely a messy game but that also means there's a lot of cool and weird poo poo in it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Chubby Henparty posted:

I really liked Curse of the Golden Idol. I made myself a little sad by imagining that later scenarios might provide new context for the 'fluff details' in the earlier ones, and you'd have to go back and re-solve them with that new information

Loved the game, and I was right there with you and thought this would be the "gameplay twist" but yeah, turns out the game is exactly what it sells itself as -- you go through scenarios one by one solving the mysteries until you reach the end. That said, there is a bunch of stuff in earlier scenes that gets recontexualized as you've progressed through the game, and it's fun going back to them and seeing story elements in a new light.

I sort of got the feeling based on little bits and pieces that they originally planned for some grand puzzle that would involve going back to old cases but maybe they decided keeping the puzzles in each scene self-contained was the best move. If that's the case, I appreciate their restraint -- there wasn't really one scene or puzzle that I hated in the whole game, it all feels very consistently tight. Strong recommend for puzzle and detective story lovers and fans of Obra Dinn specifically.

edit: also was really impressed with the art, they pull off some very creepy and menacing stuff with the oldschool Sierra game graphics style

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Xander77 posted:

As a very basic example of a game actively disrespecting your time:

Atom RPG models "realistic" secret bases, forests and settlements that your characters take several minutes to cross at a dead run. Each area has dozens if not hundreds of containers. 90% of them are empty or full of useless junk. 30% are locked. If your character doesn't have the lockpicking skills, you can't open locked containers. If he does, you get to roll over and over until you finally succeed. Only to discover there's nothing hiding inside this locked chest... but there might be something in the next 10 or so.

Are they random or preset? I guess that makes a difference to me, if they're preset it sounds actively hostile, if they're random at least you get the thrill of the chase. Makes me think of Path of Exile where in endgame any sane person is using a loot filter to hide 95% of what drops from enemies, and even within that 5% you see it is extremely likely that a given random item is totally worthless, but also there's always a chance, just a tiny chance, that it's a perfectly rolled item that could make you fabulously wealthy beyond your wildest dreams. It never is, of course, but knowing that jackpot technically exists is a powerful motivator.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Volte posted:

Maaaybe. I don't think game has much to offer me without any stakes at all, as exploration off the beaten path unlocking some new upgrade or technique is part of the draw of a game like this, plus the danger of being between checkpoints in an unfamiliar area. With god mode, most of the upgrades will be decorative at best and there's no danger. This is one place where actual difficulty levels would be nice to have. Accessibility menu does not make up for proper game balance, be it on a single difficulty or with multiple difficulty levels, and this just doesn't seem like a well-balanced game to me.

Idk man. I believe you when you say you beat Sekiro with no deaths, clearly you don't suck at video games, but while Tunic is pretty tough at times I didn't find that particular boss to be that bad. It's been a long time since I've played and I don't remember the exact progression, but I'm pretty sure you've reached the point where you can level up your stats, it's just a question of figuring out how and where to do it. You aren't like, still using the wooden sword or something are you?

One thing you might be happy to hear is that after this point there are very few "walls" until you hit endgame. Post-Garden Knight you can basically do anything in any of the main zones in the 4 compass directions in any order, and while some of the bosses at the ends of them are quite hard you don't have to beat them when you find them, so there's a ton of opportunity to power up and progress before you tackle them. Hope you push through because the structure of the game after that point is very very cool.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The people who love Rain World love it so much that it's definitely convinced me to give it another shot soon, as it didn't stick with me the first time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

victrix posted:

it's a great game, but it's not a great for everyone game

I know they're not exactly equivalent genres but I like difficult/obtuse stuff like La Mulana etc so I'm pretty sure I'm in the Rain World target audience, it just hasn't clicked yet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

victrix posted:

I still have yet to find an explanation why this is the case

which sucks rear end because the ds haptics are incredible

PS5 has some kind of non-standard bluetooth protocol that they use for those features. I'm sure there's a software solution out there, don't get me wrong, but I doubt they spent more money on a custom bluetooth receiver system for the PS5 just to inconvenience PC users and make them play in wired mode

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm giving Rain World another shot, ty thread. They really did pull of some cool poo poo with the animations/emergent behavior -- I was cornered by a lizard, completely hosed with no escape route, but then ANOTHER lizard crawled out of a pipe, saw the first one, and immediately tackled it and they started fighting. I was able to climb up on some pipes and managed a few tricky jumps to get past their dogpile and on to the next room. Very tense, very cool!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Anno posted:

New Mimimi game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545560/Shadow_Gambit_The_Cursed_Crew

Seems to be sticking to the Shadow Tactics/Desperados genre, but now fantasy pirate stuff.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BykuAlQlSIw

Oh hell yeah. That's a great setting for them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

zoux posted:

Satisfactory has an arachnophobia mode that turns a type of enemy that is spiderish into a cat. Any other games have no spider modes? Thinking about it, spiders are probably the most common video game enemy? Top five for sure.

Shadows Over Loathing has one, but it also has this, which turns a bunch of non-spider enemy encounters into spiders:

Selecting that option also allows you to select "Arachnophonia" which replaces all enemy combat sounds with chittering spider noises.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

lmfao that'd do it

I just started playing for the first time and I think that got me too, lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Holy poo poo Pizza Tower is really good. Thought it would just be some goofy fun but it's got a really fluid and compelling movement system and you could really go crazy with the speed run/score attack aspect if you wanted, but it's also just fun to explore and work your way through the levels. Love the escape sequences too

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

if you like Celeste you gotta play this game. it might looks like they're completely different genres but the fluidity of the movement tech is extremely reminiscient

Yeah absolutely. It's Celeste meets Wario Land meets Earthworm Jim

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wow, they're releasing a free "offline" version allowing for players to host their own games after it shuts down. That's pretty wild for one of these live service games, but very cool.

edit: I messed around with it back in beta and it was honestly very fun. Just another one of those games in a tough spot where it's hard to sell as a full priced multiplayer centric title but it's also not going to ever take off enough to support the full live service f2p ecosystem

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 3, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fortnite with the recent graphics engine upgrade is one of the prettiest games out there IMO. It's a lot of fun just wandering around looking at stuff.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://twitter.com/wolongofficial/status/1622082587396014080?s=46&t=WhGy7IL0ynFAT8MCPEaypA

Sweet. First demo was console exclusive so I'm excited to check this out. Be advised this will launch on Gamepass so if you plan on playing there, might wanna do the Windows Store version

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Parry systems are an interesting topic. Game devs love them because they force players to engage with enemy mechanics for zero effort on the dev side. But they can often feel like following a routine set of instructions before you get to play the game again and in the worst cases slow combat down.

To me the most memorable parry system is dark souls but it's entirely optional, super difficult, and turbo broken. Sekiro's parry system is good but it is the entire game, it's not very copyable. What are some of the other "model" parry systwms devs are thinking about when they add it to their games?

I'm a few pages late but DMC3's Royal Guard style is extremely cool. It's totally feasible to ignore it completely, but it's a character spec option built entirely for parry freaks; any attack or stage hazard etc can be partied and used to charge up very powerful attacks. Some of them require ungodly timing windows but it exists for the people who are into that

edit: Like you can fall in a pit of lava and then parry the pit of lava if you know what you're doing

goferchan fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 7, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

It is the Nineties and there is always time for D E M O S. Since people have already touched on Full Void, Grim Guardians and Benedict Fox, I focused on other demos tonight.

Schism

I think the theme for today's demo selection is "odd". Schism is an odd Binding of Isaac style game with lots of bullets and a strange aesthetic, odd music, no controller support for some reason (at least it didn't detect my xbox controller), an Ikaruga-style color mechanic, and rooms that are just sort of bare. I dont think it's bad, but it's got a kind of weird feel for something that's coming out later this month.

Always love these posts but I'm going to have to counter on this one! Schism was off my radar until I saw a screenshot and checked it out, and now I must have played the demo to completion like 4 times. It's odd but it does a lot of cool stuff.

The way the leveling system works is really interesting; it's completely tied to which of the 8 different gods you choose to worship in the little altar room at the beginning of the dungeon. Much like Dungeon Crawl or something they all have their own weird quirks and upsides and downsides. One of them likes poison and disease and likes it when you poison enemies but also when you acquire diseases yourself, which are negative effects and debuffs. Another one likes it when your summoned minions die, and gives you a pet zombie that respawns in every room as a passive bonus, but worshipping him encourages you to seek out more ways to summon stuff so you can build XP faster. They all offer different bonuses and have a few different unique items they can give you if you make them happy. I've also seen the option pop up once to do something that betrayed my current god but I was too scared to mess with it.

I also like how many weapon and item effects scale in different ways across different stats -- for example, something that creates orbiting shields around your character might scale the size of the shields with your defense stat, but the speed at which they rotate with your fire rate. Nothing mindblowing here but it's neat how base stats can do stuff beyond their normal effects, and encourages you to not just seek out attack and fire rate upgrades at the expense of everything else. Also I just appreciate how quick and snappy it is -- when you're out of combat, negative effects like movement speed reduction or a disease that causes you to take damage when standing still for too long or whatever all get disabled. Honestly my biggest gripe right now is that the portion in the demo is just a little too easy when you get a hang of all the mechanics, I think my last 3 successful runs were all achieved in a row, but the demo is only the first couple floors and I imagine it'll get harder from there.

edit: Oh and when you enter a combat area time is frozen and you can move around to whatever position you want before starting the fight. Very nice way to avoid the Isaac bullshit of taking a hit as soon as you walk into a room.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sab669 posted:

It's another perfect example of "genre name that doesn't tell you anything about the game itself"

I wish we could go back to the good old descriptive genre names like "adventure game" and "role-playing game" and "arcade game"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Returnal is sickkkk; I never looked into it that much but "AAA Housemarquee roguelite" is basically something that I'm enjoying exactly as much as I knew I would

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CTRL+ALT+EGO is very, very, very good. Occasionally you can sense the game running up against the constraints of its budget but that doesn't keep it from accomplishing everything it sets out to do-- it's pretty clearly an immersive sim made by people obsessed with immersive sims who know the genre inside and out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

What's the deal with Returnal? Why is everyone raving about it?

From what I've seen it just looks like any other shooter in the roguelite pile except with the AA coat of paint, and somehow I doubt it's best in the genre when it comes to gameplay.

The developer has a very, very good pedigree when it comes to action/arcade games. Resogun and Nex Machina are IMO actually literally best in the genre when it comes to gameplay.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I consider myself pretty good at these kind of games but beating the first boss in Returnal was quite the push! I just barely squeaked by on my winning attempt. I was surprised to see that now I can skip him and don't have to beat him again to get to the second zone -- but are there more unlocks I can get from the data cube machine thing in his boss room? I've seen at least 2 different ones on that floor.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Play posted:

God drat returnal owns so hard. It's incredibly addictive, and the fact that the super dark story and the action are both so good is rare. Definitely gonna beat this one

Yeah it's reaaaally fun despite a couple gripes I have with certain mechanics. I just checked out the Tower mode for the first time last night and was blown away, it's an extremely fleshed out endless survival mode with a bunch of unique mechanics. Very cool that it was free post-release content!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Its not so much bonkers as it's like the same plot twist I've seen in at least two other games independently, and probably a few movies

It's not the first time it's ever been done in a time loop story or anything, but I still thought the delivery of the mid-game twist was very punchy -- you finally manage to send out a distress signal and escape the alien planet, you return to earth, a montage plays of the protagonist living out the rest of her life and dying of old age, and then, bam, she wakes up back at the crash site just like what happens when you die in-game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Walked posted:

I have both and HIGHLY prefer the PC controls. I had to do a bunch of rebinds for my preferences but it’s so much better than console.

I'm sticking with controller just because the haptics are so cool (seriously the best I've ever felt in a game) but I did have to rebind some stuff; having dodge on L1 and grapple on R3 feels much much better than leaving them on the face buttons.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

zoux posted:

Dodge belongs on the eastern face button, sorry.

Thumbs don't leave the sticks :colbert:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How would I even check that

On the Steam library view with the tiles you can sort by lots of different things, including install size on disk

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

What are some fun stylish slowmo action games (newer than Max Payne)? I played through My Friend Pedro I had from some old bundle and had a blast. I liked that I could just do stuff that looks cool while being terrible at the game.

It's a little different but maybe Heat Signature? You can pull off all kinds of crazy poo poo by slowing down or pausing the game.

https://twitter.com/Underscore_lord/status/912205677644333056?s=20

This is the player entering through a forcefield window onto an enemy ship. An armored guard spots him and shoots, but while the bullet is mid-flight the player uses a device called a Swapper to switch places with the guard. The bullet bounces off his armor with that comical "ping" sound, but the impact is enough to send him backwards through the forcefield into the vacuum of space.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mordja posted:

Interesting, it looks like they're making bigger changes to Remnant 2 than I expected. For one, your class matters a lot more.
https://fromtheashes.remnantgame.com/en/news-article/11537003

That's cool, I was a little nervous until they mentioned that you can eventually switch your character between classes and even combine two into a dual-class, sounds really sweet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So far in Returnal, I feel like I am losing less progress in dark souls, than I do in Returnal.

The game spams weapons at you that are exceptionally marginal in difference, meaning it doesn't matter so much what weapon you use besides it being a shotgun or pistol or whatever, it has some bonuses with negatives, with the risk of damaging your inventory or making it otherwise harder to progress, with some not hard choices to make, except some rare combinations are more obviously bad. If you die, you have to deal with a somewhat lengthy by comparison reload, and there's no checkpoints so you start the whole level over, with nothing but some permanent items. If you're really far into the map, this is nothing but frustrating. At least in dark souls you can get your items back on the way to running back to the boss and skipping the level.

The weapon mods eventually become very impactful, to the point where some can make it feel like a completely different gun. Your progress towards unlocking them persists across runs, and sometimes you need to get the lame mods out of the way to get the cool ones to start showing up, so if you pick up a gun with a locked mod then I'd encourage you to use it -- it's one of the few bits of real persistent power level progression that you're talking about.

Also, if it helps, there are two "extra lives" you can get in the first zone. One starts showing up after the first time you go in the old house (which I think involves finding a key somewhere in the area?) and is purchasable from the shop there on future runs. The other is a device that costs ether to activate but lets you respawn, it should be behind one of the "side path" blue triangle doors on your map.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Did anyone pick up Sons of the Forest? From what I've heard it's quite close to a finished game as far as early access launches go (with the entire story and ending in) but performance is rough even on some really beefy machines.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I tried Sons Of The Forest, I was worried after I saw people mention it only pulls a little over 60fps on 4000-series cards but it basically runs exactly the same on my 3070 so basically it seems like you just have to be happy playing at 60fps. It's pretty cool, I love the diagetic inventory layout -- a little clunky but super immersive

Edit: which is how I feel about all the building and crafting in general. Right now it's extremely sick that crafting an item has a special animation where you actually, like, craft it out of its parts, but it will probably get old.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The 3-legged lady is nice! I approached her (maybe also putting away my weapon was important?) and she gave me some herbs and poo poo and then ran away

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FYI if anyone is checking out the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty demo that launched today and finds it running like poo poo, the Steam version seems to be an older build than the one available on the Microsoft store. The former is capped at 60fps and could barely even maintain that on my 3070 while the latter has a 120fps cap and runs fine. Very weird, but quite the relief because the performance on the Steam demo was shockingly bad.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

- Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania is adding Richter Belmont as a playable character with his SOTN moveset, if you manage to find a secret level in the DLC

I saw an interview with the Dead Cells devs the other day and it sounds like Konami was really cool about letting them work with the license. It started as "hey, how about we add a couple Castlevania cameo items to the game?" but everyone was super enthusiastic about it and then it turned into this massive expansion. Neat stuff; I'm kind of done with Dead Cells and don't know if I would have normally come back for another DLC but I love Castlevania and will definitely check it out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh poo poo it launched on Steam? I knew it was coming out but I thought it was going to be a Switch exclusive for a year or something, that's pretty cool.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ShadowMar posted:

when someone says the loot system in nioh sucks, it always means "i bought a loot game despite hating loot games and then willingly refused to engage with the mechanics of the loot system."

oh and, inevitably someone chimes in with "i don't want 10000 items that all have 0.001% better stats" and proves the fact that they don't know how Nioh's loot system works and are just parroting poo poo they saw online

Nioh 1 was kind of bad about it until you got to endgame, but Nioh 2 introduced set stats on every type of item which made it actually possible to get a real build rolling early-on. By the time I was on like the third mission I had a cobbled-together item set that gave me like +60% damage VS poisoned enemies combined with a bunch of skills that could poison stuff-- it's a loot game, but it's a well-designed loot game where items frequently have interesting effects that encourage you to build your character a certain way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Revita is a pretty great roguelite. I have my complaints (too many unlocks, not enough bosses) but it's very fun and feels good to play and there's enough random fun going on with the power up system that you just want to keep playing even after you lose. Why is it so unpopular? It feels like it does most things right.

It had its day in the SA Roguelike thread. I'm a huge fan, and also was surprised it never really took off, especially when it launched on Switch. There's a very big update currently in the works and I'd love to see it get a second wind of popularity.

Also I agree with you on the bosses but FYI, there are unlockable alt-floors with completely different boss fights, not sure if you've seen them yet. There are also "cursed" versions of each one that shake up their movesets a bit.