Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey jeez Resident Evil 2 you didn't have to tell it like it is...

I didn't even know there was going to be a test! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

what's everyone's first purchase for 2023? i got chained echoes

Finally picked up Half Life: Alyx, I hope that I can manage the VR for more than a few minutes! :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hate those things so much, they jump around too much and my reflexes aren't fast enough to stop them!

Edit: Oh wait, these are DIFFERENT annoying poison monsters! :stonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think they should institute fast travel in real life but in games you get to take your time looking at the scenery :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Played the Miles Morales Spider-Man game, it was good! Very stylish, they made good reuse of the assets from the first Spider-Man game and I mostly enjoyed the story, more for the themes than the straightforward plot which unfortunately got kind of annoying, particularly around Phin constantly berating Miles for being a bad person when she's a loving terrorist with a gang of literal murderers who are destroying the local community.

There was real opportunity there but I think they struggled to really thread that needle between the difference between stopping the bad guys for revenge and stopping the bad guys to save/help other people.

Also not a fan of some of the enemies just .... not being hit. The game tries to create situations where some enemy types are able to counter or absorb particular damage types but that extends to Miles being able to land clean blows at full Spidey-strength and... just nothing happens, he just kind of hits them and there's zero impact and he just stops dead still.

But in terms of being a smaller version of the 2018 game that is more focused on a younger, still learning, new version of Spider-Man who is living up to the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" concept... it's good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

victrix posted:

very Tom Clancy now that I think about it

I still every so often have to take a moment to remember just how batshit insane (and racist!) The Bear and The Dragon was, and then remember that I've been told his books got even MORE unhinged after that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Croccers posted:

And because it has to be done:

Goddammit :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

tithin posted:

whatever happened to Derek Smart

I never read the threads but weren't they heavily involved in threads pointing out what a scam Star Citizen is?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

If i know nothing of One Piece, is One Piece Odyssey a good game?

As others have said, probably not. You can unlock things that give recaps of the storylines that the game is pulling from, but that just informs you and doesn't have the full weight of having read the comics themselves. As a game simply in its own right, it has issues - combat is fairly shallow, areas you explore are probably a little too big but empty - but if you are a big fan of the series then it has absolutely nailed the "feel" of the comic and has all the same charm and excitement that produces. It will just probably fall a little flat for anybody without that familiarity.

For me? I'm like a pig in poo poo, I loving love the game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randallteal posted:

Re: One Piece, I love OP but I kind of hate the post-timeskip character designs. Usopp and Nami got it the worst but I don't feel like any of them are really an upgrade, and they always look really weird to me in 3D.

:sigh: these characters used to be so cute!

While I do actually really like the post timeskip designs for the most part (:rip: Pre-Timeskip Franky :smith:), the game does come with alternate costumes that put the Strawhats back in their pre-timeskip outfits, which I thought was a nice touch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't wait to get this achievement!

Man, I really gotta catch up on those Lego Superhero games!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Gripper posted:

Tony Lazuto says hello.

He's taken out 5 Tojo Clan Chairmen like this....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddammit, finally got to play Half Life: Alyx and it's really loving good. VR is a pain in the rear end to set up, dries out my eyes and I don't really have a suitable space to use it but loving hell if it wasn't amazing being back in City 17.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PowerBeard posted:

Back when I had my work laptop that could run it, I showed by brother and his wife and they never left the starting area. They just took it all in, messed with the markers etc.

Legit had to force myself to leave the balcony, drinking in the city and writing all over the window with the markers was pretty amazing.

I don't know if it is programmed to always happen regardless of where you stand but almost getting crushed to death by a Strider leg was also a hell of a moment. I've gotten as far as the brain-damaged Vortigaunt giving me a snack for the road and I've been absolutely blown away by the detail. It kind of reminds me of back before Half Life 2 came out and some pictures of the actual city that inspired City 17 were revealed, and at first people thought that is what the game's graphics looked like, which was silly of course.

Half Life Alyx the game's graphics actually look like that! :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Is HL Alyx worth playing if you've got an OG Vive? I haven't used the thing in years but I'm tempted to give it a go.

That's what I'm using to play it and it's fine, other than the fact everything is tethered so I have to be mindful of where all the cables are. I tried playing sitting down but it just feels more natural standing up and I can't help but move around a little (sometimes unknowingly a lot!) as I play.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that hotel in Half Life: Alyx was quite the thing. Not quite Ravenholm but beautiful spooky lighting in parts, disgusting alien-fungus filled corridors, horrible fast headcrabs etc... it was beautiful and I'm glad as gently caress I am out of there and free.

Right towards the end of that chapter I found a headcrab confusedly clambering about on a mannequin's head :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I finished Half Life: Alyx.

:stare:

I had finally found freedom, I had come to terms with the fact there would never be a Half Life 3. Now after playing this, especially how it ended (how I remain unspoiled on that I have no idea) my terrible, loathsome hope has infected me yet again. VR, first person shooter, I don't care what, make a(nother) new Half Life game, Valve! :shepspends:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

explosivo posted:

Check out the HL2 VR mod if you haven't yet, It's fantastic.

Oh poo poo, I'll look into that, thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

explosivo posted:

Check out the HL2 VR mod if you haven't yet, It's fantastic.

Ahh man, I downloaded this all excited after having a great time in Alyx. It looks great and the opening with G-Man and the brief bit of the train station I could stomach was incredible, but unfortunately they don't have the blink movement that Alyx does (which, to be fair, was actually DESIGNED to be played in VR) and the moment I moved in-game I felt sick. Never experienced motion sickness in games before but the effect was almost instant, and no matter what I did to the vignette size or movement speed, nothing alleviated it.

What a shame :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

hi i’m in mexico did anyone notice

Playing Red Dead Redemption on original console or via an emulator!?! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I dunno if anyone is particularly familiar with big picture mode or anything, but I've kinda run into a bit of a thing with it. After exiting big picture mode, it basically won't let me use 'regular' steam functions at all, outside of what's already open in the main browser window thing.

Like, if I'm in Library already I can click through my library just fine, or in Store I can click through banners and sales and stuff, but it won't let me click through from store to library or to community or wherever, up to and including stuff like right clicking the steam icon in the system tray, it'll bring up the menu with recently played games, exit steam, open big picture, etc, but won't do anything if I click on them. It stays this way until I straight up kill the program in task manager.

Tried restarting, doing a fresh steam install, nothing.

I'd been having this issue the last couple of months or so too, it was very frustrating and nothing short of exiting out of Steam (I was still able to right-click and exit at least) and logging back in would fix it. However after the new version of Big Picture mode got pushed out to everybody recently, it's only happened once or twice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man, Star Wars Squadrons was a disappointment. The VR feels kinda half-assed, I don't know if it was originally designed to have it or they put it in later, but the mixture of half "screen" cutscenes, weirdly stilted interactions between characters, and the (very basic) story being hobbled by attempts to let you play as both sides was a real drag. I only finished it since I figured I might as well since I'd started.

Is there anything out there as good as Half Life: Alyx? Or do I pack the VR kit away again.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 12, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Private Speech posted:

That depends on what you played and haven't. There's some good games out there, but to be fair nothing as polished as Alyx.

Maybe try the MW5 mod I mentioned earlier, but then if you're looking for polished it might not be the right option for you.

For a space sim Elite is excellent in VR.

The MW mod is Morrowind? I love that game but looking up a video it looks like the movement will give me the same reaction as I got trying the Half Life 2 VR mod, where I immediately felt nauseous. I might take a look at Elite if it goes on sale though. I just got the bug to try out more VR stuff but I suspect I may have "wrecked" it for myself by playing what was obviously the best game first.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks, I was confused by the 5 since I checked their previous post and saw them talking about a Morrowind mod :doh:

Yeah, it looks like that would give me the same problem. I think my stomach would protest at anything that wasn't sitting in a smoothly moving vehicle like a spaceship or maybe a car, or being able to "blink" move around the world like you can in Alyx.

Man, for years I've heard people complain about motion sickness and thought how lucky I was not to suffer from it, experiencing it was not a good time!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'll check them out!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just watched the trailer for Wanted: Dead for the first time, and I have to be honest I'm extremely impressed by the technology. I mean, it's not every day you discover that an entire dev team was kept cryogenically frozen since 1998 then thawed out and told to make a game without any knowledge that it was 2023.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sebmojo posted:

It's the only sensible thing to do.

That bg3 trailer really is terrible, I can't imagine anyone deciding to buy it on the strength of that but I suspect they will still do ok lol

Holy poo poo it really is an astonishingly bad trailer!

But... yeah! I've been keen to get it but was not going to do so until it got out of early access, and I've heard lots of good things about it that the trailer does not in any way appear to show!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

there's monsters

I assume you live in blissful harmony with them?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to raising my Gear Score in Rocksteady Studios's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League(tm) coming out May 26th, pre-order now.

:negative:

I just wanted another fun game with combat/movement like the Arkham Games. Why did they have to do this? :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

can't wait to play Captain Boomerang and use his signature weapon --- the sniper rifle.

I don't know, the sniper rifle doesn't seem that big a dea-
gets another sniper rifle with +0.048 damage
Oh poo poo, now we're talking! :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

That new sniper doesn't have +0.17% critical damage to electrified enemies. it's trash. sorry you had to find out this way.

Goddammit, and I'd built up such a big stockpile of PURPLE as a currency when I should have been concentrating on BLUE instead! :cripes:

Oh well, back to grinding trash mobs and running circuits of the city to open chests as they respawn!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

i'm still here i just realized during my week long binge vacation in mexico not posting i don't want to post anymore

didn't realize that was my last post lol that would've been poignant

That's a relief, and also hilarious! :3:

Mordja posted:

Babe, new Doom 4 trailer just dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoOf-dsm5qM

It looks very dark, but based on their last two Doom games I am excited!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't think of a game I went from being excited about to actively dreading as much as Suicide Squad. It's by the people who made the Arkham Games, they CAN'T have hosed it up this badly, surely!?! :byodame:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

victrix posted:

"just make Elden Ring"

At the very minor risk of setting myself up for disappointment, if Rocksteady's next game isn't Elden Ring but with Arkham style combat and the Shadow of Mordor Nemesis system then gaming as a whole has failed us all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Nemesis System but also with romance

Do not "pursue" Lu Bu.... but we just can't resist! :biglips:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

has anyone even made a worse nemesis system game?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey had the Cultists and Mercenaries who you were supposed to level your way up through fighting, and from memory the latter could also rank up over their rivals etc. It wasn't very robust but it added a little more variety to the game at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ragequit posted:

Never heard of Dredge before today but it sounds like a chill and stressful time all in one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Vb-a2OLHc

I hope this is a complicated tie-in with Lake Dredge Appraisal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTifcI4A0jM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

The launcher is fine? It opens and then the game opens.

Yeah, it's annoying - especially if you haven't played one of their games for a long time and you have to hunt up the login info you're suddenly being asked for after clicking play on Steam - but once you've taken care of that, it's just an (utterly redundant) extra step that you immediately forget about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had no idea Uplay was "gone"! Guess that shows how long since I last played one of their games (AC Odyssey I think), which I guess was down to them putting Valhalla into Epic so that people forgot it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really liked Deathloop, it was a lot of fun to play, and when I was finished I felt like it was time well spent... but also that I'd done everything there was to do and I was just fine moving on from there and I've never really felt any particular need to return to it like I might for Dishonored or Prey. The voice-acting was great, I really loved the design, it felt fun to play, good times!

Edit: Plus it had GREAT music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPPM7YNsiO8