Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for talking about MW5 in the last thread, I bought it all and have been loving the career mode with the one DLC. Also did some co-op with a friend on gamepass and the cross play stuff works flawlessly. I assume I won't be able to invite non dlc havers to a career campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

I believe only the host needs the DLC, even career mode.

RBA Starblade posted:

Nope, you can, they only need base game

Oh this rules, thanks for the info.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deakul posted:

Boy I sure have been seeing this error for a while now.

Anyone else been having trouble signing in and general friends network connectivity problems consistently for a while?(I swear it's all been acting up for me for almost 3 weeks now)

I posted about the same thing a while ago and I think you might have replied then too, this just comes and goes sometimes for me and I have no idea why it happens or why it stops happening when it does. It's particularly frustrating when you want to buy a game and it keeps saying you're logged out but refuses to log you in despite being definitely logged into steam. It definitely hasn't dragged on for 3 consecutive weeks though, it's usually more like a couple days for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Perestroika posted:

Huh, the economic side of the MW5 career mode feels surprisingly tricky. My dumbass lancemates just love getting themselves cored at the first opportunity even against easy enemies. And as it turns out the engine is far and away the most expensive part of a mech, so that's a sweet million credits just to get the drat thing running again each time. :suicide:

A few things to note; first of all you can always restart a mission if it looks like it's going tits up, and the game autosaves when you warp into a new system so you can always revert save if you bite off more than you can chew, but more importantly directing your squadmates around using the F1-F5 keys seems to be really important because they love to leroy jenkins straight into battle and get annihilated. On top of that there seems to be a bit of a design philosophy when putting together mechs for your AI pilots because they are dumb as gently caress and will close into their range for weapons regardless of whether it's safe to or not. There's a couple steam guides about designing mechs for squad mates and it seems to be mostly about keeping a low amount of weapon groups that all have around the same med-long range and plenty of cooling. I've been using lots of Medium lasers, stripping jump jets on them because they don't use them very well either (same with machine guns, S Lasers, anything that would make them want to get up close to fight) which leaves more room for more cooling and armor.

Also make sure you're picking missions you can meet the tonnage for, anything less usually means you'll be outmatched by bigger and better mechs. Recently I've been bringing in a Firestarter for myself to run around in and generally be a nuisance while I have my AI bots in heavier armored mechs running mostly M/L Lasers.

Edit: Added link to the guide I got most of this info from. Hopefully it's still relevant!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 3, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When's that roguelike mode coming out? Is that coinciding with the consolidation on the 26th?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, Freelancer is out at the end of the month

Cool, thanks. I love Hitman 3/2/1 but have played them to death so I wouldn't mind an excuse to come back to it and that just might be it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cowcaster posted:

so i'm confused, in 2057 when i finally get around to playing mechwarrior 5, should i just completely ignore the campaign button entirely because the career mode has all the campaign stuff in it, or should i at least run through the campaign once because it'll give me a representation to the game flow as opposed to career mode's sandbox

I picked up the game and went straight into Career mode :shrug:

I figured if I wanted a more story based campaign mode I can always go back but so far have been digging the open ended nature of the Career mode and the gradual ramp up into a squad of badasses.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Some of these mission types in MW5 feel absurdly difficult compared to others. The one that has you going around the map to clear/capture a base while destroying artillery and defending like 3 waves of mechs just came up on a relatively low ranked mission series and absolutely hosed my poo poo in. Meanwhile, for less money, in the same system is a simple defense mission that takes like 10 minutes to finish. It's just hard knowing going into a mission if I'm going to get absolutely obliterated even if I'm meeting the tonnage requirements.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 5, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I mean, unless they patched it since last august, there's a rating to how difficult the mission will be. But also, since most of them are procgenned and not designed at all, you shouldn't take missions on that will gently caress your poo poo in. This principle also applies to Battletech 2018. If the enemy goes first and kills half your lance with their half a dozen SRM trucks it's time to leave.

You are right it just feels sometimes like two missions on the same rating will be wildly different in terms of difficulty but I really think it's just the one mission type that I have the most trouble with. Either way, I took this to look into some mods and picked up the AI Mod to make my mechs behave less stupid and that has really helped a lot. I also grabbed the coyote mission types mod which adds a bunch of new missions. I think it also remixes standard missions to make them harder lol so I guess we'll see how it goes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

Coyotes missions can definitely do that on vanilla missions due to random events like a VTOL swarm or House assassins or pirate mechs (those will at least hopefully shoot at everyone). Some of the events are helpful at least, like a friendly VTOL swarm. I think it at least in part depends on your standing with the House which controls the space you’re in.

Any mission with artillery is a difficulty multiplier though, especially since to kill it you’ll probably have to stomp through a bunch of other poo poo. There’s a few story chain missions with some really hard to deal with artillery.

These new [Mechwarrior 5] missions are awesome. Full scale battles with other AI lances, attack/defend missions with two bases and repair bays, mechs airdropped in mid-mission as backup from allies.. kinda makes the official ones look like poo poo in comparison. The improved AI mod has significantly improved my experience too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Diephoon posted:

I never tried Coyotes missions, sounds awesome.

They really are, I played a bunch last night and it makes the battles feel like real battles and not just you stomping through a map completing objectives. The one I did was a defense on a huge open ice field, there was another friendly AI lance already down and two more backup mechs got airlifted in from my allies, and about 20? Light to Medium enemy mechs running around going nuts. It was a lot of fun sitting back and sniping and telling my lance to go get some kills. The base even had a repair bay you could go use to repair light damage mid mission. It was great.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Surgeon Sim 2 was like if they came to the conclusion that what people wanted out of Surgeon Sim 1 was for it to be 200% more like Portal with wacky puzzles that needed to be solved before you do the surgery. Oh and hamfisted co-op.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cowcaster posted:

me and my friends had a blast with a co-op and they needed the wacky puzzles because once you figure out "fill the patient with mustard and go to town" the surgery bits become extremely samey

We were hoping for more fleshing out of the surgery part instead of introducing new multiplayer minigames and poo poo to impede the surgery process which felt dumbed down and like you said very samey. Doesn't have to be like a realistic surgeon simulator or anything but it just wasn't what I wanted out of a sequel to Surgeon Simulator.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

It will, I’ve used it with most of the YAML mods as well as the Clan Invasion mod for a while now. All those mechs can and will show up in the custom missions both as friendly and enemy and at the end as salvage. They can definitely gently caress with things since the missions themselves are balanced around vanilla. For example the “End Game” battleground missions is about reaching 2 friendly mechs before they’re destroyed to get some data and then taking that data to a friendly base before its destroyed. When there’s a couple super heavies (or even just mechs with RACs) near the base or one of the important mechs fighting with a few crazy clan variants the mission might be lost before it even really starts but most of the time you can squeak out a win.

Are those mods worth picking up you think? I wasn't too sure what YAML did exactly but saw it mentioned a whole bunch in the conversation of "must have mods" for MW5

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

The biggest thing Yet Another Mech Lab does is expand the customizing you can do with mechs and removes a lot of the restrictions of the vanilla system. You can throw together some good stuff with it. It also adds some mech variants, equipment like engines and armor, and the ability to salvage “pieces” of a mech type after a mission. If a mech isn’t available to take as a whole then it’ll will appear as some number of salvage pieces. Once you have enough pieces (5 tons per piece, so 100 tons needs 20 pieces, you can turn them into a mech.

The other Yet Another mods can be considered add ons to YAML. That’s not actually necessarily true for all of them but close enough.

Ah okay I did notice that some of the more tinkery MW:O stuff is missing from here like the engine swaps and whatnot. I might rock with vanilla for now with the added mission types since that was really my main complaint about the career mode. Thanks for the info!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It worked for Into the Breach :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

secretly best girl posted:

Wait is that not what Into the Breach is either? I haven't played that but I thought that was also sets of crafted levels chained together based on people around me discussing strategy and play

No, ITB is random levels, enemies, and objectives each run. It really does seem like this Metal Slug Tactics is trying to crib quite a bit from it because it looks pretty identical in a lot of ways.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mega Comrade posted:

I need to go back and retry Outer Wilds. I did 2 runs, the 2nd one spent a load of time waiting to die as I had hosed up a landing so had to just wait to run out of oxygen and I just dropped the game. Does it have a quick reset option at any point?

It does but you have to unlock it by going to a particular planet and meeting a particular person.

Specific spoilers:
Gabbro on Giant's Deep gives it to you

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Steam thread, I finished P5R and was thinking about keeping this train rolling and checking out Yakuza Like a Dragon but I've never played a Yakuza game before. I really liked the social stuff and numbers-going-up aspect of P5R but also was surprised with how much I loved the turn based combat. Is Like a Dragon going to scratch a similar itch and also is it going to be okay jumping into this series at Yakuza 7?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hwurmp posted:

Like a Dragon is the first Yakuza with turn-based combat. The mechanics might be a little basic compared to P5R but Yakuza owns :thatsrad:

Yeah I know it's typically a brawler, my friend was telling me to play Kiwami first but I'm looking to play another turn based thing I think. I just wasn't sure how lost I'd be story-wise.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the input on LAD, sounds like I shouldn't expect combat anywhere near Persona which I'm fine with. It's gamepass so if I am not digging it then meh. I went into P5R saying the same thing though very much not expecting to finish it so who knows!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm really digging Like a Dragon so far. The background for Ichiban is interesting and I want to see where it goes, and the combat is fun and dynamic feeling because everybody's always shuffling around while you're deciding what to do. Looks fantastic maxed out in 4k too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

[Yakuza LAD Mahjongg]
The only part that sucks is Mahjongg, but you can cheese it if you want by getting a Mahjongg app and playing it on the highest difficulty possible. Then, when you enter a game, enter the LAD computer's turns in as your turns and do what the EXTREME difficultly does on yours in LAD.

Hey can I get more info about this? I've grabbed a couple mahjongg apps but none seem like they would let me cheese mahjongg in Yakuza. Maybe I'm just not understanding what this means.

Edit: if there's a way to cheat Mahjongg for maximum gains I would love to know :hmmyes:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 17, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the whole 'copy the ai' thing doesn't even make sense since mahjong is a poker type game all about drawing random cards/tiles and trying to make a winning hand???
like the tiles you draw in the mahjong app will obviously not be the same ones that kiryu's opponent draws in yakuza

Yeah i don't know much a goddamn thing about Mahjongg but I feel like I know enough to realize that won't work with any mahjongg app off the app store.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You can showcase the rare ones on your steam profile if you want. There's no reason to pursue them other than your own personal enjoyment of completing an achievement though so don't kill yourself trying to collect them if it does nothing for you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oxxidation posted:

forspoken’s protag also sounds like a standard quippy YA heroine most of the time but every so often her battle calls will have her spitting an f-bomb like bayonetta, it’s very weird

I didn't play it but from what I saw from the stream I watched I was less annoyed by the combat barks in High on Life than I were with this protagonist.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's also a $70 game so it can go on a -20% sale and still cost $55.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The hell is Nvidia NIS?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

repiv posted:

NIS is a spatial (read: bad) upscaler similar to FSR1

you should probably use DLSS if you can, FSR2 otherwise, and ignore NIS

Oh okay, thanks. I did see Image scaling but wasn't sure how that was different from DLSS/FSR2. Hard to keep track of these acronyms :sweatdrop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RTX is especially a trap in MW5, apparently it's like an old implementation or something. I just gave up trying because it was really bad. I think the game looks good enough with it off though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't get enough of Like a Dragon right now. It's kind of the opposite of P5R where i was mostly being driven by my desire to see the story through and work on social stats and just tolerated the combat for the most part. I find the combat in LAD really fun and I don't mind getting into fights in the street, it's neat how positioning comes into play and the concept itself of Ichiban just imagining fights in that style is really hilarious to me. I'm thoroughly confused by the business management stuff but have done some press conferences and I think I'm doing okay? Game's great. Can't wait to get some of the alternate jobs leveled up for the party and see what else they can do.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I kinda ran out of steam with MW5 after getting a couple Assault mechs, this updating coming out to coincide with the new DLC sounds great though. They're letting us upgrade the mechbay to hold up to 40 mechs now instead of being stuck with the default 12 (?) which is awesome. It was frustrating not being able to have a wider range of weight classes because doing the multi-missions requires backups so I wasn't able to have lighter mechs to take on smaller jobs as well as enough big heavy mechs to keep me going through a 3 length multi-mission job.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rinkles posted:

I'm getting real mad cause bad at NFS Heat. I suck at driving, so I knew what I was signing up for, but my lizard brain still can't help but get frustrated.

It's also weird to be drifting with nothing but the gas pedal (you initiate a drift by letting go, turning, and then hitting the gas pedal again when still turning).

It's been mentioned already but you definitely should change the drift style in the car settings, that helped me a lot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/graysonmorley/status/1617523118612045826

Sounds like Forspoken embargo may be lifted and.. yeah.. THAT happened

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 23, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anno posted:

This was announced at Microsoft/Bethesda’s event today, and then promptly launched for $30. Seems pretty rad.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1817230/HiFi_RUSH/

https://twitter.com/xboxgamepasspc/status/1618360594989711360?s=46&t=LLXjGv0gei3GVceyecoEdg

Sweet, this is now available for download on Gamepass as well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Games fun so far. The art style works really well and the way everything pulses with the beat means I'm pretty much tapping my toe the whole time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The writing in Hi Fi Rush seems perfectly fine and well suited towards the style it's going for and not really at all comparable to the "cringe" clips going around from Forspoken imo.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DZ is definitely balanced around Multiplayer and in my experience wasn't really worth doing other than if you want some PVP with the potential of maybe getting some loot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hi-Fi Rush is really a joy to play so far. There's a pretty clear difference between the humor in this game compared to the worst stuff getting shown from Forspoken. If it's not your thing that's fine but there's a lot of conclusions being drawn itt over like a 2 minute trailer. It is possible that it being a gamepass title has lowered the bar considerably but it feels like a very well polished saturday morning cartoon kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is Fallout 76 just an inherently stuttery game? I have installed that like 3 times over the last year to give it a try and it always feels poorly optimized no matter what settings I choose.