Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ciaphas posted:

Returnal's out now. Looking forward to hearing about the port quality, or possibly lack thereof

Particularly would like to know more about the DualSense support on PC.
Feels dumb to wait for a PC port of a shooter and then play it with a controller, but it sounds tempting for the excellent rumble feedback (if ported over 1:1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Watching CohhCarnage play Returnal on PC and even on a 3090 (and a 9900K, apparently, maxing out at about 120 fps), there are occasional, but very noticeable hitches and stutters, he even has put up a bot message because he doesn't want to have to explain it every other minute.

Ah well. Let's see if it gets patched.
Edit: Oh, it's UE4. Probably not then.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Grabbed the Guardians of the Galaxy freebie from EGS (available until 1/11) and I am postively surprised by it.

They nailed the characters, the crew banter and the aesthetics so far, even if they could not use the the MCU likenesses.

Some amazing set pieces and art direction. I just finished the Sacrosanct chapter last night and that was some cool design.

Combat can get hectic and a bit repetitive, there are QTEs and unskippable cutscenes that lead up to them, so if you fail because they are a bit obscure at first (or are old like me) you gotta sit through them multiple times.
(Seriously, sudden QTE out of nowhere where you need to figure out you have to align three circles with mouse AND keyboard at the same time and in the end confirm with MIDDLE mouse button or it's game over?)

Solid performance (100 fps) on a 2070S at 3440x1440 with DLSS set to balanced, looks very crisp overall.

But apart from that, good fun so far and the story seems to be compelling enough to push forward. Was not expecing to enjoy it as much as I do.

If you're not a Steam purist, hop on and get it.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If that bundle leak is fake, I hope Valhalla is the one they made up.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Installed this weeks free EGS game, Islets and about an hour in, it's appears to be a competent Hollow Knight clone, if you need something to scratch that itch.

Graphically, it doesn't have quite the same atmosphere (yet), but it has its own charm.

So far, movement and combat (as simple as it is currently) is pretty smooth and fluid. I kinda like it, I'm going to stick with it for a while.

Edit: Yeah, I think it's pretty neat. People might feel like skipping it "because it's not Hollow Knight", but after a couple of bosses, I would consider it rather well designed.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Turns out the HumbleBundle leak was completely fake.
Ah well.