Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Bumhead posted:

Yeah. I should probably have qualified what I meant rather than just drop in a Facebook-rear end vague status about it.

I love the Souls games generally and have finished Dark Souls, Demons Souls and Bloodborne. They're pretty much 3 of my favourite games of all time. I think Sekiro is brilliant too despite the fact I never finished it, and that it's essentially designed around all the aspects of Souls combat I'm not good at. I still regard Sekiro a top tier game.

I keep losing momentum with Elden Ring for reasons I can't quite establish. Contrary to any issues around difficulty, I'm finding most encounters in the open world a bit trivial, and feel like I'm not getting as much out of the sense of exploration as I should be. The issue I faced back at launch was that I really enjoyed my time in Limgrave, really enjoyed Stormveil Castle, and then started to tire of the open world once I hit the Lakes. Following the same pattern again. I'm finding a temptation to just bolt up onto Torrent and make a rapid beeline through the Lakes, rather than carefully navigate my way through, which is always the point where any open world starts to lose me.

Maybe I just need to take a break, but there's an equal possibility Elden Ring just isn't my jam.
I can see that, and it's definitely a game that demands a lot of your time. Liurnia of the Lakes is a weird zone and belting through it on your horse isn't going to hurt you in the long run - I've played through the game 4 or so times and never really explored it either. Just keep heading north and looking at anything that you find interesting and you'll progress regardless of your pace, I honestly think that area is intended to be played that way.

edit; I mean there is stuff to do there, but outside of the main quest it's 90% sniper lobsters and 10% weird sidequests and caves, you're fine moving on and coming back to get sniped later.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

GrandpaPants posted:

I really liked the exploration but the way the game is constructed meant that I couldn't take my time actually exploring and absorbing details and looking through nooks and crannies. Then having to do it all again to "finish" the exploration is real unfun for me.

I'm generally real bad with real time pressure though (as opposed to like, X Com complete in x turns time pressure), so this could just be a me thing.
It's only really the crumbling planet that sucks like that (and it's probably one of the first places you'll go, frustratingly enough) until you find shortcuts, everywhere else you can just rush back to where you were and skip everything. I'm no good with time pressure either and the only place that really got to me was the ending sequence, but if you don't like it you don't like it, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

I've heard good things about the DLC and just can't do it because of exactly what you've said, though. It's a huge self-contained area to explore and I really can't be bothered.
edit;

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I never really felt pressed for time once I had a clear set of goals.

The DLC is another matter entirely, though.
Ha, I missed this before I posted and 100% agree.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 16, 2023

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Morter posted:

Lost Judgment (2021)

Tony Lazuto says hello.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

SirSamVimes posted:

Human-controlled Juliannas introducing an element of chaos to your pre-planned routes is part of what made Deathloop own, imo.
It was fun, but it was also possible to get invaded in every area consecutively at one point which was absolute dicks and very unfun.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

No Wave posted:

Because remakes sell better than new titles and are much easier to make. Its 2023 everyone is always looking for things to remake.
I like to think it's because they realized the series was killed by terrible business decisions and not just gamers getting sick of it, but yes it's just that well-made remakes and reboots are selling like hotcakes these days.

Hopefully this converts to "we'll make more Dead Space games" but unfortunately EA has a billion franchises to make remakes of before anything like that ever happens.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 27, 2023

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Strong Sauce posted:

does anyone have that harry potter clip where the enemy just glitches/slides in front of your character and hits them? sorry it was a while back and i forgot who posted it
This isn't the exact clip but it's the same fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJM-fsGJVDw

It's the dodge tutorial though and the movement is intentional, probably to stop people outranging it and never needing to dodge.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

explosivo posted:

The port is fine, definitely some performance issues/hitches but seems like it's a lot of complaints about the keyboard and mouse controls being unusable which, well.. :shrug:
It's wonky even on controller but it at least doesn't affect gameplay too much. I think it's simulating moving the mouse and clicking on menus which is some weird poo poo and for me keeps making the cursor appear even if I move it offscreen. I tried Kb+M and people are right to complain about that for sure, it's really, really bad. The original Dark Souls port felt better.

As for the game it's hard to explain but it feels... old? Somehow moreso than Nioh 1. It's definitely not for me.

Reviews calling Wo Long an approachable soulslike are talking absolute horseshit as well; if I recommended this game to someone who wanted something approachable they'd never listen to me again. I've played through the 2 Nioh games and combat in this is a lot harder to read than either of them, but at least early on nothing punishes you if you just hold block along with whatever you're trying to do.

edit; im playing on gamepass so its possible the controller jank ive seen doesnt happen on steam, ymmv

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 3, 2023

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I enjoyed the start of Wo Long but the game would be approximately a million times better if deflect was bound to the block key instead of the dodge key.
It's weird but you can block while trying to deflect and take no damage if you mess up (apart from it dinging your spirit gauge) with it the way it is.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
D3 was good because killing hordes of enemies was fun and it was very easy to find a fun-rear end build for killing those hordes of enemies. When you get to deep endgame the balance flips and you're stuck with fewer (or one) option, but the trick is that you're allowed to stop playing whenever you want, including when the game sucks or isn't as fun as it used to be.

I think most people hit a skill/effort or time wall before long they'd really butt up against any of the real build issues.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think its funny that when I first played VS it was just filled to the brim with sprites stolen straight from Castlevania but luckily Konami never seemed to notice.
Turned out the sprites were just from an asset pack he used, though he did end up paying an artist to redo a few that people felt were too similar to Castlevania. None of them were actually taken directly from any specific source game.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I finished DREDGE including all of the side missions I'm aware of, and I have to say its intro hours are a lot more interesting than the later ones unfortunately. The first and second areas build up a lot of mystery and the transition to Gale Cliffs felt like leaving the intro area of a game and entering the wider world, but it never really opens up and the game just becomes a string of "the first person you talk to in the area gives you a problem, and you solve that one problem and move on to the next area" puzzles that aren't that engaging unless catching a few fish and taking them back to the quest giver is your thing (maybe it is, it's a fishing game after all!).

The mystery drops off as you enter Gale Cliffs as well, where it transitions from the ominous intro area where you know something weird is happening that nobody is really acknowledging to just 4 more areas where everything is entirely weird and everyone is just openly saying yo this is pretty fuckin' weird huh?

Probably the most disappointing part was how few characters there were as the game progressed - the first area has close to 10 that all work to build the initial mystery, the second has 3 that don't engage with it at all (plus a recurring trader), and from there every subsequent area has just one - the person that hands out the local quest.

I really wanted to love the full game because I loved the demo, but it's just not there for me.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I am running a bit out of steam in the last area as well. I did quite enjoy the other areas (especially the tropical one), but at this point the repeating conceit of "catch these specific fish while dodging increasingly annoying environmental hazards" is wearing a bit thin.
I definitely can't argue with you on the game's visual design, it's solid and was a big part of what kept me at it. My review above was in retrospect and I had almost the same experience as you; I spent time exploring the areas up until the last one, which I just rushed through because of the escalating hazard sapping the fun out of it.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on Sifu ? How hard of a game is it ?
Sifu is tough but it's fair. They added difficulty settings post-launch that (if you want) make it less of a ballache when you're stuck by punishing you with just +1 year instead of multiple and buffs your health, but I think it keeps your damage, enemy strength, and HP the same so it just lets you take a few more hits and doesn't completely trivialize it.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

FutureCop posted:

Couple of thoughts while playing these games:

STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order: Having fun, but there's something kind of...off about this game that's bugging me. It's just got a much more jankier and unpolished feel and design to it than I expected considering how polished it looks like it should feel. When everything works, it's nice, but as much as it looks like it should be some smooth and slick combination of Uncharted with Sekiro combat, it's like playing Elex or something similarly low-budget, but with triple A visual/audio polish overlaid on top, like a copper pot with gold veneer, I dunno. Wonder if other people got this feel and if there is something I should do to help: I'll stick with it a bit more to see if it grabs me, and I'm starting to get used to its kind of awkward unspoken rules for combat. Exploration is also a bit weird in how, despite how grandiose the worlds look and it all being outdoors, I feel cramped and claustrophobic, stuck on very thin paths and tunnels and corridors.
Yeah it really does have a rough feel to it. I tried playing and when I really got into it it was fine, but if I put the game down for even a few days and pick it back up I have to push past that feeling all over again. I wouldn't go as far as to say the movement is poo poo, but I don't think I would have given it the chance I did if it weren't a Star Wars(tm) game with high review scores.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I've been playing the 1.0 release of Everspace 2 for 10 hours and I think the grind is severely overstated, people just see the Perks menu and think they have to have them all now when they seem like something you gradually unlock over the course of the game. I've just been flying around in the second star system doing quests and jobs and I get better equipment and lots more money naturally.
I think it needs a bit of tuning in the early game, especially going from Ceto to Union. The first main boss (and one of the worst mandatory fights in the game) is a headache if you're not the exact level they want you to be when you stumble into it, and you'll hit Union at level 7 unless you do practically all of the side missions in Ceto which is too low to progress without a massive difficulty spike. I ended up going back to Ceto and grinding just to level up, which is a worse time than having to grind out upgrade materials in my opinion.

If I have to do the same for another area I won't keep playing, especially considering I was already going out of my way to do all of the distress calls etc. The main mission itself should be enough to match the main mission's level recommendation.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I dunno if it's just that I'm playing on Normal and you're on a harder difficulty, but I flew around Ceto doing some side missions and jobs but not all of them, and then I went in and killed the first big boss in one attempt. If he was supposed to be a hard or frustrating boss I didn't feel it, aside from his special shield gimmick. Levels definitely went up in the Union area but that just meant I avoided the areas that had the purple "much harder area" symbol on them. Sure sometimes I get blown up super fast by random raiders in Union, especially now that they have access to bigger gunships, but sometimes the answer was just equipping a different gun or device in my inventory

Considering there are side quests in Union that take you back to Ceto it seems intentional by the developers to have you go back and forth a bit, if only to trade goods between the systems.

I don't really consider having to do some side quests to meet the power curve grinding though, that just seems... expected? :shrug: It'd be weirder to me if I could just blast through the main story and never touch a single side quest and be perfectly on curve the whole time
I'm also on normal, but that first boss sets a checkpoint that you can't escape from if you're low on hull or armor, so I had to attempt it 6 or 7 times to complete it. My weapons shredded him whenever his shield was down but having to toss drone parts at him from close range was taking me from 100% shield, 20% hull and 100% armor down to 0% in one pass. I got to Union at either the very tail end of level 6 or start of level 7 and even the main mission was purple, and I definitely didn't rush through the main mission in Ceto either - the only things I skipped were the side-missions from that one guy (rescue miners, etc) and any off-the-path unidentified areas, but I did absolutely every distress signal or unknown signal that popped up. I put another 2 hours into Ceto to get to level 9 just to equalize after that.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Speaking of Grime, it's "free" this month if you have Amazon Prime via Prime Gaming. You do need to use the amazon games launcher to install it, but most of the games on there have no DRM and you can just copy the files wherever and delete the launcher if you want.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

GrandpaPants posted:

Anyone check out Ghostlore yet? I dig the Southeast Asia-inspired setting: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1783280/Ghostlore/
Ghostlore rules. They set out to make an ARPG where you're just pounding on enemies and nailed it, there's zero friction.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I bought and refunded CONVERGENCE: A League of Legends Story within 2 hours, I'm not sure what kind of game it's trying to be. The games it takes influence from are in-your-face obvious, but it all feels like a chinese whispers interpretation of it.

You've got combat somewhat similar to Dead Cells but much, much slower, you've got rooms that lock you in like old beat 'em ups but without the pseudo-3D floor to move on (and it feels like this is every second room), "undodgeable" attack indicators (??) instead of unblockable ones, and probably the biggest issue for me was that it leans heavily into metroidvania tropes like mobility unlocks & areas gated behind those abilities, but drops a map marker down telling you to go back to places you couldn't reach instead of leaving it open to explore.

It also introduces a core mechanic of being able to rewind time very early on, and takes every opportunity to put in unreadable platforming and blind jumps instead of using it in any fun way.

Has anyone played further into it and can say whether that improves, or if it's just more of the same?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

The 7th Guest posted:

:crossarms:

i know that's the australian name for telephone game but australia is wrong
British too!

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I played a bit of STASIS: BONE TOTEM over the weekend and its weird how many art styles it cycles through. The main game is a grungy fallout-like 3D isometric point & click, but it cuts to some really high production value cinematic cutscenes, and then back to low-quality text and audio log screens, and then the puzzles have a shittiness to them that reminds me of early iPhone puzzle games.

All things said it works and the game is fun, but it's a weird experience.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I'm lukewarm on Dave the Diver.

It'd be completely my poo poo if it didn't have the restaurant management part, but as it is it's a weird intermission I don't care at all about between dives, but that I'm forced to do because its the only way to make money and do more of the fun part.

Artelier posted:

You can also Skip Time if you're just like "Y'know what, I wanna just get back to the diving/restaurant nowwww" so I've found it great. Some single dives can be 20 minutes or more depending on how you play, but you can also just do like 5 minute dives forever if you want.
I could do this I guess, but progression would be really slow.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 3, 2023

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I'm probably 50 pages late but goddamn is Remnant II a fantastic game. I bought it on a whim not knowing much about it other than that it's a third-person shooter with a dodge roll (and as we know third person + dodge = souls-like) with procedural generation, and have been having a blast playing co-op with a friend. It's slick, the environments and bosses are really cool, and apart from some of the unlocks being cryptic there's zero friction between you and whatever your next objective is.

Just keep in mind that weapon upgrades are similar to fromsoft games - they look like they give minor increases but there's a massive difference between a +1 and +8 weapon. It's easier to upgrade than in Dark Souls as well, since crafting materials are (mostly) drops from enemies and not world items.

If it at all interests you don't sleep on it, it's great.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

ZearothK posted:

That's 8 times the Witcher 3 and more than twice GTA V and Skyrim, BTW

Mind, it is a PC exclusive (for now) and PC gaming as a whole increased during the pandemic, but still, crazy numbers. I imagine PS5 sales are going to be good next month too, plus the eventual XBOX release later in the year.
Some of it is because they had existing players who bought in early access so it's not a 1:1 comparison for other AAA releases where everyone had to buy at launch, but it's still pretty drat impressive.

It was also smart of them to keep a lot of content out of the EA version, it got almost everyone who bought over the last ~3 years to jump on at once when it launched.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 8, 2023

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
The Witness' later puzzles really needed you to be loving them for peak enjoyment, so the difficulty for me was that I preferred the puzzles at about the mid-point of the game and was more interested in the (light) story and exploration by the late game.

I enjoyed it up until around where I quit but I'm too old to play a game that's getting tedious and repetitive just for the payoff of knowing I finished it. The puzzle I quit on was pretty late in the game, not long after you've done enough lasers and get back to the mountain.

The Looker really scratched an itch. It nails the Witness so completely that I'm not surprised JBlow hates it. I don't think The Looker was doing it purposefully but it skewers a lot of his opinions on The Witness being this untouchable, unreproducible masterpiece.

I'd be all over a similar puzzle game that doesn't spike in difficulty at the end, I think just casually doing some challenging puzzles and exploring a mysterious island is a cool concept and people should do it more.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 11, 2023

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

disposablewords posted:

Seems like it will be. From their announcement on Steam:
There's some legalese in there with them saying multiplayer will be available as-is. It's peer-to-peer at least, but as-is signals that if it stops working you're OK with it, and I don't know if there's any non-P2P matchmaking/lobby service they could switch off in the future.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Yeah Phantom Liberty is fine and very good with your old character, no reason to start over.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I had the SN30 and upgrade to the Pro 2 and I love it, the biggest upgrade honestly is the ability to switch input types easily. For some reason my SN30 would always take like 20 minutes of fiddling to switch between PC/Switch/PS4 but the Pro 2 just has the little switch. And it comes in Atomic Purple, the objectively best color scheme of anything ever made.
I don't know why anything that can connect to multiple devices like that doesn't use a physical switch to do it, nobody can do it as good any other way. I've got an expensive keyboard that sucks to switch because it's a fn key but I guess that's becoming the norm with there being more software people getting into making hardware or whatever. I just end up using a cheap worse keyboard instead because of the convenience.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Kazzah posted:

IMO Asscreed Origins is better than Odyssey. Od is just overstuffed; giant temples everywhere, town after town and fort after fort, halfbaked mechanics that you’re best off ignoring, an endless stream of trash loot. Origins benefits from all the negative space, all the details. There are only a couple cities, and each feels like a big deal and has a sense of identity. The farmers sing while they work; the world feels like a place where people live, and not a theme park. The world is just more cohesive, while in Odyssey you get a clear sense that each island was handed off to a different team, with varying levels of quality and effort. I 100%ed Origins; I can’t imagine doing that for Odyssey.
Origins was very good, but when you said Odyssey I thought you were talking about Origins anyway and I still agreed with what you were saying. I'd personally place them about equal, but Origin's story and theme engaged me more so maybe that was hiding some of the in-between problems it had.

edit; I mean if I think about any of the individual mechanics I feel like Odyssey's were better. But overall I didn't think either game was better or worse than the other, I liked both.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 24, 2023

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Runa posted:

I found Sekiro's parry system easier to work with than Wo Long's, or at least more forgiving, since you can legitimately feather the parry/block button in Sekiro and not be punished too badly for it.
Wo Long's is very forgiving, the block button and parry button are different and you can hold block when you're trying to parry so if you fail you'll still block. The only downside is that it'll hit your spirit gauge if you mistime the parry, but it's up to you if that's better than eating the damage outright.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

FuzzySlippers posted:

Strangers is nowhere near as hard as those other games and is a bit messier mechanically with lots of RPG elements. More like Dragon's Dogma in certain ways of its RPG/combat though otherwise it is nothing like it (Strangers is very level based and has no reactive quest stuff). It has a ton of classes and RPG bits. Strangers is generally a much more chill game. It's kinda like the Jedi Souls style game except with a weird crazy story.
I had more trouble with bosses in Stranger of Paradise than I did in Wo Long and the DS series honestly, I think because of how technical and how loving long some of the fights are - in DS you can generally just outmaneuver bosses and get hits in occasionally to make progress, in Stranger of Paradise there are fights where you're juggling all of your abilities, soul shield, block, and dodge for 10+ minutes straight against fast and aggressive bosses, and those bosses are main-mission ones you can't avoid like Tiamat who also happens to be the first major boss of the game.

It might not consistently have that difficulty but for me it was enough to put it above Elden Ring and the DS series at least.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
That Prince of Persia metroidvania game really feels like a Ubisoft version of GRIME. I'm not saying that as a slight on the game at all because GRIME rules and I'd like more games like it, but it's absurd how much of the demo feels like the level design is lifted directly from it, like there's no way Ubisoft made it this close by accident.

I enjoyed the demo but it feels like I was clapping at plagiarism honestly.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Hwurmp posted:

they're no SquisherZ that's for sure
SquisherZ are really cool

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
The new Prince of Persia game rocks. It's a weird patchwork of mechanics from other metroidvanias but every one of them is done well, I don't know how Ubisoft pulled it off. I'd put it up there with the best modern metroidvanias, I'm enjoying it as much as I did Hollow Knight.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
The default graphics settings in Enshrouded are cursed. Anyone playing should set the resolution scale back to 100%, having scale enabled with DLSS also active means you're upscaling twice and depending on what your native resolution is you'll get something that looks somewhere between slightly blurry and looking through a dirty window. I'm on a 4K TV and it looked wretched.

If you were getting close to 60fps with default settings you'll need to adjust other settings to maintain that, but going from 68% render scale w/ graphics on quality mode to 100% w/ graphics on balanced or performance is an upgrade anyway.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Jack Trades posted:

That's loving hilarious.

For the record, 68% render scare with Quality DLSS on a 1080p is giving you 480p is your real resolution.
I don't think it's quite that bad, DLSS would render at 1080p, upscale to the target scaled resolution and then the resolution would again be upscaled to native (not sure if that's with FSR or something custom), it wouldn't reduce its own internal render resolution. If your native is 1440p the default scaled resolution would be 960p so I don't know if/how DLSS even applies there, but at 4K the result was awful because it was DLSS rendering at 1080p -> DLSS upscale to 1440p -> game upscale to 4K. At least that's how I think it's applying?

The original number might have been 67% as that's closer to a step down in resolution from 4K to 1440p, 1440p to 960p, etc.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I've had the opposite experience to everyone else with Ultros I guess. The game looks great visually I can't deny that, but the writing is very bad and I hated it very much. With the psychedelic theme I expected more subtlety or weirdness but I can't describe the actual writing without feeling like I'm being mean to someone at their first job.

I was also not impressed by the combat and unless it materially changes further on I couldn't do an entire game of it, and had a bug on the boss that made me think I had to backtrack (door did not open).

I'm glad other people are enjoying it though!

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

repiv posted:

be grateful it's even on sale, there was like an 18 month window where bamco forgot to put any of the souls games on sale ever
Even on sale it's still more expensive to buy on Steam than it is to buy a physical copy at retail price. DS3 in particular has been absurdly priced for years.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Kibayasu posted:

A tongue crab followed me and a friend into the can and it jumped at him just as he closed the door to poo poo and got in the stall. It attacked him for the entire duration but unfortunately? you are invincible while pooping.
this made me forget what forum I was reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Leal posted:

I swore I read somewhere that the playstation controllers being a nightmare to use on PC was intentional because strangely enough Microsoft wants you to use an Xbox controller.
That's the conspiracy, whether it's true or not is up to you. It was very lovely that Microsoft's OS team made DirectInput and XInput the way it did either way, instead of making it universal. Edit; the usual argument here is that Sony should be the ones to make it work, but it really only hurt players.

I think even now the support for DualSense on Windows is only there because (the larger) game engines now have native support for it, not because Windows changed anything. It's unlikely you'll see games supporting it if they're rolling their own engine, they'll still rely on a DS to XInput wrapper like whatever Steam or ds4windows does.