Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Stux posted:

there is no fight in any souls game where you are expected to use summons
Except for the the co-op areas of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've been using Hitman 3 as my "something to do while watching a video" game. I've beaten the entire trilogy several times over and now I'm going through and completing all the Escalation missions and getting all my location masteries up to max to unlock everything. Consolidating everything is a smart move.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's absolutely a better weapon than the mace: TWO maces power-stanced

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If you put a gun to my head and asked me which part of Sekiro is more important, the cutscenes or the gameplay, I might think it's a trick question and say the wrong thing. Leave the gun at home if you want a well designed game, in my opinion.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
All games should have the credits accessible from the main menu so that when you decide you can't or won't go any further you can just run the credits and count the game as complete. Speedrunners have been doing it for decades

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Why did they make baseball when they could have made tee-ball? Poor design decision IMO.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I started playing Morrowind again with OpenMW and I actually love having to follow vague directions to get to my destination. There are definitely some QoL things that could be better (like being able to have the relevant journal entry pinned on the screen or something -- I've started just screenshotting it and having it open on my second monitor) but it's so much more engrossing than just walking towards a dot. Plus it makes roads mean something because I can follow them and read the signs instead of just walking straight over a mountain or something.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I do enjoy Oblivion's overworld, but the game kind of falls apart if you try to remove quest markers. Even within individual dungeons, without the marker directing you to the exact book you're supposed to be picking up or whatever, you can end up completely stuck.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I do hate it when games don't respect my time but usually that just means stuff like having like a four second animations to open the menu when I have to do that multiple times per minute. Making you do stuff in-game that actually takes time and effort instead of short-circuiting everything into a bland sequence of "and then this happened, and then this happened, ..." isn't disrespecting your time.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is there some trick to making Tunic not feel just demoralizingly punishing without just turning on god mode or whatever? I got to a part where you have to get past some alligator things (along with some flying laser enemies that come out of the wall, for reference) which are easy enough to face by themselves, but there's one spot where multiple ones aggro simultaneously and it feels like it's not even possible to avoid death once that happens. I've probably made like 40 attempts over the course of a couple of weeks and not come close to doing it. I've beaten Sekiro without dying, but these motherfuckers are on another level. They run and attack too fast to run away (and seemingly chase you forever anyway, even if you could get away), they attack out of phase which each other so there's no opening for attacking, even blocking with the shield doesn't seem viable because I run out of stamina so quickly and half the time the angle isn't quite right so the block fails anyway. And I can only take like two or three hits from them before dying.

The game seems up my alley in theory but this is a brick wall and the level of punishing difficulty just seems totally at odds with the frankly undercooked combat system and ostensibly exploration oriented game design.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sininu posted:

I know that place, it's where I ended up turning on the god mode :(

Ciaphas posted:

the crocs are such complete dicks.

Serephina posted:

As others have said, those crcos are *assholes*.
Well at least it's not just me. If this is truly the worst place in the game then I can try to power through, it's been pretty fun otherwise. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Tunic update: I'm up to 11 attempts against Garden Knight. So far none of the attempts has lasted past 2 seconds

edit: the last one ended so fast the boss health bar was still appearing on the screen after I respawned

edit2: game designers please do not make your camera freely rotate around the arena with an isometric projection, it looks like loving poo poo and is completely unreadable

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 8, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Okay I think I'm finally done with Tunic once and for all. This Garden Knight boss is a complete slog. Most attacks take away 99% of my health and even though I have 5 estus flask charges, that still only just barely refills my health bar one time because each charge barely does anything, not that I often even have a chance to chug one. I do about 1/100th of its health per swing so the most I've ever held out was about one quarter of its health. Occasionally the same attack will hit me twice a quarter of a second, killing me instantly. Plus the isometric camera swinging around is completely mindfucking me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

kazil posted:

God mode?
Maaaybe. I don't think game has much to offer me without any stakes at all, as exploration off the beaten path unlocking some new upgrade or technique is part of the draw of a game like this, plus the danger of being between checkpoints in an unfamiliar area. With god mode, most of the upgrades will be decorative at best and there's no danger. This is one place where actual difficulty levels would be nice to have. Accessibility menu does not make up for proper game balance, be it on a single difficulty or with multiple difficulty levels, and this just doesn't seem like a well-balanced game to me.

fake edit: lol this guide video on how to beat him even has a spot where the guy almost dies to a bullshit attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCmPHDWqeg&t=280s

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Aphex- posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I much preferred Death's Door to Tunic. The manual gimmick was cool but the gameplay felt like much more of a slog.
Yeah, I loved Death's Door, although I rolled my eyes when I beat it and then found out there's a post-game where I have to revisit the entire game and do a bunch of extra poo poo to see the "true ending" and just called it quits there.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

goferchan posted:

Idk man. I believe you when you say you beat Sekiro with no deaths, clearly you don't suck at video games, but while Tunic is pretty tough at times I didn't find that particular boss to be that bad. It's been a long time since I've played and I don't remember the exact progression, but I'm pretty sure you've reached the point where you can level up your stats, it's just a question of figuring out how and where to do it. You aren't like, still using the wooden sword or something are you?

One thing you might be happy to hear is that after this point there are very few "walls" until you hit endgame. Post-Garden Knight you can basically do anything in any of the main zones in the 4 compass directions in any order, and while some of the bosses at the ends of them are quite hard you don't have to beat them when you find them, so there's a ton of opportunity to power up and progress before you tackle them. Hope you push through because the structure of the game after that point is very very cool.
Well it turns out I'm too stubborn to let games beat me that easily, so I went back and managed to beat the Garden Knight. It was still a really bad boss battle IMO and I won using the exact same tactics I've been using all along (it's not like he has complicated patterns to read or anything), so I don't particularly feel like I "got good". My main enemy was the wildly shifting camera which made dodging his three-part sword strike inconsistent at best, even with good timing, and getting hit with that was nearly fatal (and if I happened to be out of stamina, was fatal). My successful attempt felt basically the same as all my other attempts. Contrast that with Sekiro where I could feel myself improving, getting closer and closer, and then when I finally did it, feeling like I could do it five more times.

I did read through the manual a bit more and it recommends having an ATT and DEF of 3 for this fight, and mine are only 2. I don't really have much of a concept of how important 1 point of those things is, so maybe I totally handicapped myself. I didn't feel much like backtracking to find more upgrades though so I just powered on through.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

personally if i ran into a boss that was oneshotting me and taking 1% damage from each hit in a game built around exploring for upgrades and poo poo, i would say "oh i should go exploring for more upgrades" and then go exploring for more upgrades
As far as I know I explored everywhere already. There was nowhere left to go other than the boss. I obviously missed something but I'm not going to scour every corner of every place I've already visited in hopes of finding an upgrade. If the game is designed around me having found every obscurely hidden secret before I can fight the boss, then that's still a balance issue. (Also, given how much damage even regular enemies dish out and take, being one-shotted by a boss and doing very little damage to it does not seem particularly out of whack)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

kazil posted:

Harry Potter fans have never read another book.
At this point I'm pretty sure most Harry Potter fans have never even read the Harry Potter books.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

Now that you mention it, has there ever been a good game that was marketed as "from the makers of X"?
Return to Monkey Island

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Electric_Mud posted:

It's all just a little bit of history repeating

Only 19 out of 833 playing it is more integrity than I would have assumed honestly.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

i’m thinking that’s more because bethesda releases a new port of it every 2 years, if someone who picked it up literally 10 years ago was still playing it to this day i’d be worried about them. like that autistic guy who was obsessed with bubsy 3d
There aren't too many open world games that you can just fire up and do whatever in without it telling you where to go next. The last three Elder Scrolls games are still in my regular rotation for when I'm looking for that kind of game. It's a shame that almost every single open world game gets most of its inspiration from the Ubisoft style and almost nobody goes for the Bethesda style, because it's the one thing they haven't been matched on in my opinion.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

i'm saying this as a person who has taken nearly seven years to get through all of the witcher 3, how the gently caress have you not run out of things to do in skyrim if you've been playing it for 10 years
It's not all one long playthrough :wtc:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've only finished the main quest once, maybe twice

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You think that's bad, I've probably done at least 50 playthroughs of Dark Souls. I've done at least 10 in the past six months.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I started Morrowind again recently without any gameplay mods (on OpenMW though) and thought Cliff Racers would be annoying to deal with but I'm doing a full mage playthrough and the Cliff Racers are just helping me get my destruction skill up. Thanks guys

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ymgve posted:

Are there any Morrowind mods that grey out the dialog options you have already picked, like the later games?
OpenMW has that feature built in, sort of. It highlights important/unique dialogue options that you haven't seen yet if you turn on the appropriate setting.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

PantsBandit posted:

I remember seeing write-ups for Far Cry 3 and thinking "holy poo poo these guys are doing something completely new and incredible!"

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like there was a time when Ubisoft actually made cool poo poo.
I actually like the Far Cry games and think that other than Far Cry 4 (which was essentially a do-over of Far Cry 3) they all have pretty unique takes on the formula. Far Cry 6 is pretty fun to just walk around and do whatever poo poo you run across.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tiny Timbs posted:

Supposedly the Lost Ark devs are issuing Steam bans for old accounts with low playtime:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/10bh3oa/lost_ark_appears_to_be_incorrectly_banning_steam

So if you get a ban notice pop up in Steam that might be why!

lmao I played an hour on release and now I might have a big Steam ban warning show up on my profile
I played on Feb 12, 2022 for 30 minutes and no ban for me (yet?) and it seems like a bunch of other people who only played briefly around then are fine too, so maybe you had to have played during some more recent window for it to happen? Pretty insane that arbitrary publishers can put a black mark on your profile though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Veotax posted:

It's probably best to, it's also the simplest so it might be a bit hard to go back to after getting used to the more complex games. You can't even walk in MGS1, only run or crawl, so you can't walk slowly on loud floors.

The MGS games are pretty short anyhow, so it's not a long commitment to start on an earlier one.

Having said all of that, MGS2 was my first and I was able to go back to MGS1 just fine. But I do recommend release order if you're planning on playing the whole series.
I think they meant this Metal Gear:

In which case, no you don't need to play that first.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Steam achievements never really meant much to me because it's pretty easy to unlock them through illegitimate means. Not that Playstation trophies really mean much to me either but I at least enjoy them as secondary goals followed by a little Sony-signed certificate of completion for certain games I like. To this day I've never 100%ed a game on Steam. I've come close with Dragon's Dogma though, I've already done all the hardest achievements and basically just need to play it a second time to get the rest. Maybe I'll do that some day.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tiny Timbs posted:

People bring up the SNES example a lot but that was before games sold millions of copies and earned hundreds of millions in profit along with all the microtransation and service-oriented stuff so I don't think it's really relevant imo
Games sold millions of copies all the way back to the 80s...Super Mario Bros 1 sold 40 million. More than a quarter of American households had an NES by the 90s. They cost far less to produce and still made tons of money (microtransactions notwithstanding).

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Weedle posted:

it's hard to directly compare the costs of cartridge games with disc games, since with carts larger file sizes translate directly to increased manufacturing costs for the rom chip. the $40 games in that flier are on 2-4 megabit carts while the $70 games are on 24-32 mbit carts. but with a ps1 game or whatever it costs just as much to press discs with 100mb of data as it does to press them with 650mb
The cost of storage is definitely a factor but IIRC there were also hefty per-unit licensing fees that went straight to Nintendo as well for the proprietary cartridges, so like on a $40 game literally a quarter of that was probably going to Nintendo just to allow the cart to work in the SNES.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Pirate Captain posted:

I liked Obra Dinn but didn’t love it, mostly because unless you’re some kind of super genius you eventually have to start guessing. I got the majority of the people figured out, and did briefly did feel like a super genius when I figured out the hammock numbering thing. But towards the end there were so many that I had to just guess, and in one case the game kinda lies to you? There’s a diary or something that talks about one crew member getting torn apart by the monster, and there’s only one person shown getting torn apart, but nope, it’s not that guy, it’s one of the guys the monster is holding. I’m pretty sure there’s no way to logically figure out some of the people and you have to use inference/best guess like the fact that people hanging out together in the picture are probably part of the same group but in that kind of game I want 100% logic, and those ones really turned me off.
You never have to guess anything.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

FutonForensic posted:

Dragon's Dogma is pretty short. It even has a built-in speedrun mode, and I think I finished that casually within a couple hours.
Speedrun mode lets you keep all your gear and portcrystals from a previous save file so you can just warp directly to the quest objectives, use your pre-stocked 100 blast arrows and endgame gear to instantly kill everything, and get out. There's no way you could beat the entire game starting from a fresh save file in a couple of hours without some major speedrunning routing and optimization. The Any% WR is still over an hour and that's highly optimizaed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

explosivo posted:

https://twitter.com/graysonmorley/status/1617523118612045826

Sounds like Forspoken embargo may be lifted and.. yeah.. THAT happened
Am I misreading this review or is this guy literally complaining that the game doesn't sufficiently justify why they made the protagonist black

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Pwnstar posted:

I think the concept is that games are having non-white dude protagonists now but always conveniently in situations where they never have to examine the concept of race/racism. So in this example the main character is a black lady(?) which is cool but then she gets sent to a magical realm where those traits don't matter compared to being from Earth.
The complaint might make an iota of sense if it was a generic protagonist whose Skin Tone slider was set to Dark to earn progressiveness points, but it's literally a starring voice/likeness role for a real black actress. It's hard to make that argument without also implicitly arguing that they shouldn't be casting black people in these kinds of roles.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Veotax posted:

To be somewhat fair, minimum specs are probably going to go up in general as devs stop releasing on the PS4 and Xbone and finally focus on the PS5 and Series S & X. We haven't had many games so far that skipped the last generation due to shortages, but they're starting to happen.

Forspoken, Returnal and the Dead Space remake are all skipping the last gen of consoles and have fairly high minimum specs (all say they require 16GB of ram and a 10 series card for Nivida)
720p at 30fps might have been a reasonable minimum target for a PC game in like 2008.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Agent355 posted:

It's a double edged sword, because a character shouldn't have to justify being gay/black/woman/whatever, and it should be a totally unremarkable thing.

On the other hand does it really count as 'representation' if it is a completely meaningless decision that doesn't play into anything?

pentyne posted:

No one in management gives 2 shits about writing a black character with a black voice, they are perfectly fine just pressing a button for a palette swap and patting themselves on the back for solving the issue.
Once again I remind you that they cast an actual black actress in the role. It's not a palette swap. Try to imagine arguing that a character in a film shouldn't have been black and not coming off like an alt-right dipshit.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Portal 2's dialogue works way better because Wheatley is supposed to come off as annoying and incompetent, and the PC does not talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
How many people do you think are buying new computers that its bundleware would constitute the majority of a high profile AAA game's sales? Also I've bought two AMD computers in the past 9 months and didn't get a copy of it.