Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I saw a lot of talk about it when it was released, but I've gotta gush about Tunic for a bit. I hadn't enjoyed a game that much in a long time. So much mystery that is okay to remain mystery, so many "a-ha" moments, and puzzles that make you feel like a genius when you figure them out. So much nostalgia. A comment I've seen about Obra Dinn a lot is "I wish I could play it for the first time again" and that applies to this very much. It's a small, short game, and I'm mostly done with it. There are just 5 secret treasures I haven't found, and am not likely to find, but I keep starting new games and looking for shortcuts and alternative paths one could take on subsequent playthroughs once they know the game well. I'd really like to play more games that engage certain parts of my brain like this, rather than just having me plow through it like a movie where I occasionally press buttons.

Anyway, if you've been on the fence about Tunic, here's another endorsement from some guy online.

I should probably get Obra Dinn some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I impulse bought There is No Light and only had time to put about an hour into it, but I'll offer some impressions.

Seems like they put together an interesting grimdark/weird setting. The art style is okay. You can look at screenshots to tell if it bugs you or not. So far combat seems to be built around interrupting enemies' attacks by attacking them first, and getting in little pokes or 2 hit combos to build up a rage meter that lets you use your weapon's special ability. The starting special ability is just a bigger swing of the sword, but it lets you interrupt attacks you can't with normal attacks. The attacks are telegraphed with a little icon over the enemies' heads, color coded for how interruptible they are. Sometimes, when approaching an enemy from below, that icon won't even be on screen, so I found myself finding positions I otherwise wouldn't due to the camera. It's a little hard to tell where the hitboxes are on some attacks as well.

The writing's alright. The attempts at humor have so far fallen flat for me, but I do care about the protagonist and want him to win. I don't know if it'll hold my attention long enough to beat it, but fewer games do that these days. I am looking forward to getting home from work so I can give it another go, though, so that's something.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I really enjoyed Endless Legend, but couldn't get too into Endless Space 2 when I tried it. I'm interested in Humankind, but the mixed reviews give me pause. Anybody have impressions on it? What's it do well, how does it fail, etc?

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Serephina posted:

We just had a chat in the Endless/etc thread, myself and others where unimpressed. And we're the target audience of people who love Amplitude games and like civ! Conversation starts here.

Ah, doesn't look very promising. I'll look in to Old World instead.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I don't usually skip cutscenes, but I'll abandon games if they're too long or frequent. I'll refund a game if the opening cutscene goes over 10 minutes.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Not a video game, but I recently enjoyed a novel called Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. If you're in to hyper evolved spider civilizations, give it a go.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Every once in a while I think "I liked Transformers as a kid. I like Platinum games. I should give Transformers Devastation another shot."

It's always cool for a little while, then I get to a page of loot I picked up, think "Oh yeah..." and uninstall.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Forgot to cancel my humble monthly, so here are a couple of keys

Pathfinder WotR is a good game, but I already have it: GN6IR-4XAER-AYEM2

I usually redeem bundle keys for games I don't already have even if I don't intend to play them ever because monkey brain, but here's one I don't even want showing up in my library, possibly messing with the recommendation algorithm,

Five Dates: DQM8J-QZ6PF-J54PK

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 3, 2023

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Here are a few keys.

And hey, I'll use spoiler tags to give you that one extra step toward finding out the one you want has been sniped, why not?

XCOM 2: 45DEP-Q76FK-DGKK0
PAYDAY 2: 3MFRL-RH6QV-WHQVK
Euro Truck Simulator 2: 8M2WB-QRAX9-WBDXI
System Shock 2: 6LWQY-NPPM2-GKEZ4
Monaco: 3J0ZM-PZCL6-C4VJ2
Hack 'n' Slash: 4QZJJ-XMDNF-KHB0I

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Dreamscaper is an action roguelite, no... a run-based action game with world-building and character development going on in between runs. I don't want to just say "Hades-like", but I mean...it is. Not voice acted or as well written, but it was serviceable. I kind of gave a poo poo about some of the people I met.

The actual runs occur in the main character's dreams, and the whole game has a nice, chill, dreamy vibe to it, which I liked. Steam says I put 14 hours into it, and I don't remember ever making it past the 3rd biome, but I do remember enjoying what I played.

Anyway, here's a key for it if that sounds up your alley and you're not gonna get the bundle.

72CT4-W4KQM-89KZA

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Convince me to play this game I bought? I got instantly hooked when I tried Shadow of Mordor and played straight through the campaign without getting distracted and moving on to something else, which is very rare for me. (Steam achievement showcase says 18% completion rate, for what that's worth.) I then played the DLC a little bit, didn't finish it, but moved on feeling very satisfied with that game. So I got Shadow of War expecting Shadow of Moredor and it basically seems to be exactly that, but for some reason it just didn't work for me. About 9 hours in, I abandoned it. That was years ago. Now I'm trying to go through a backlog and after consistently seeing all the praise that game gets, I decided to give it another shot.

It's been too long since I played and jumping in to my save is not going to work. I'm going to start a new game, but from messing around in it, I'm remembering a few things. Skill trees in games these days tend to just give me choice paralysis until I play something else, or I look up a build guide, which feels a little like looking up the solution to a puzzle game, like what's the point? I don't know if this game is about builds so much as unlocking the more useful skills earlier, but either way, reading the descriptions, my vision doubles and I have no idea what kind of character I want to play. I also realized that combat feels kind of tedious with more than a handful of opponents, and I'd like to more easily disengage and avoid encounters. Beyond that, though, I don't know what to look for on that tree. Any key skills to grab early? Just to get me going.

I know, it sure sounds like I just don't like the game and should remove this 100 gig monstrosity from my steam deck, but I really liked the first one, and I want to see this improved nemesis system everybody's all so jazzed about. So, one more shot, new game, what sort of things are there to look out for to keep me engaged? Stuff that's particularly cool? Anything?

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I refunded Like a Dragon after about 90 minutes because the (time spent watching cutscenese) : (time spent controlling a character) ratio was way too big for me. Like greater than 2. I've also got Yak 0 in my library and I'm assuming I bounced off it for the same reason, but have vague memories of enjoying the little I played of that? I don't remember the cutscenes being as egregious, but it was a long time ago. So I'm guessing these games just aren't for me, and I'll ignore any others that show up in my recommendations. Are the other games just as cut scene heavy? I remember kinda liking Zero and wanting to give it another shot some day. It wasn't the turn based combat that turned me off in LaD, since in 90 minutes I only got into like 3 encounters.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Honestly, I prefer no cutscenes, but I'll watch them if they're done well and the game's fun. LaD was feeling like I was just watching a movie and getting interrupted every now and then to fight or buy a snack or something. I know a lot of games are heavily frontloaded with exposition, so the first few hours will be particularly bad, so I don't know how the rest of the game is.

I picked up Death Stranding on EGS when it was free that day. It could have been because I'd gotten really high when I tried it, but I remember the cutscenes were pretty frequent, but long enough that when they end and I was given control of my character again, it was a bit of a shock because I'd kind of forgotten I was playing a game. I'll give that one another shot, though, I really liked what I saw.

I was even enjoying the cutscenes in LaD. They had actual good writing, humor, and acting (once I turned the Japanese audio on, anyway. Don't know why that wasn't the default), I'd just have preferred to play the game for longer periods in between, I guess.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Okay, my second attempt to play Shadow of War is going better than the first. I wanted to beeline the story until I can recruit captains, but already am getting distracted by vendetta missions and just screwing around. Focusing on unlocking the main skills as advised, and I'm having a much easier time with combat this go around. It also helps that this time I'm paying attention to what all my little gauges and bars mean. I am supposed to be grading a bunch of math tests this weekend, but I stayed up until 4 AM playing instead, slept for about 3 hours, then woke up and immediately booted up the game again. It's good, I might actually finish it this time.

Also, here's a key for Chorus. 3PPGJ-VLJ4L-ZQIPX

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 26, 2023

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Wiltsghost posted:

Can't wait to listen to all that Jizz.

Hell yeah

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Just how anime is Code Vein? I have a mild allergy. I like the visual aesthetic, but usually tropiness or over the top voice acting turns me off of most anime games or movies I try to enjoy. I've enjoyed some in the past, but it's like one in ten. Also, the only souls-like I really played for more than a couple hours was Elden Ring, but I liked that game a LOT.

So I'm thinking about grabbing this while it's cheap, but don't want it to just languish unplayed in my library like a bunch of other anime games I thought I'd enjoy and then immediately didn't.

I'm sure I could tell if I like it or not within the refund window, but don't like using the refund system as a free sample table. IDK, it just feels bad to me for some reason.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

zoux posted:

As someone who looked into it to determine that before I got it: Unbelievably Anime. Perhaps the most anime game ever made. Did not buy.

Ah, I'll just skip it. My backlog is ridiculous, anyway.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Well I sorted my library by recent activity to look for anime games I've enjoyed lately, and yeah it's been a while. The last one I tried to play was Rune Factory 4 back in 2021. Having fond memories of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, I tried to enjoy that, but there was just way too much dialogue I didn't find engaging, interesting, or informative. Even just mashing a button to skip it required more patience than I had at the time.

The last one I actually liked was Nier Automata, but Steam says I only put about five and a half hours into that. I didn't quit because of the anime in that case, I quit because I kept just wandering around without a clear idea of what I was doing or why. That is one I'd like to reinstall and give another go, paying more attention this time. Plus I've been using the joke of a username "Beastcurse" on various platforms for over a decade now and somebody told me there's a weapon in that game with that name.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I'd played a bit of Remnant after getting it for free on EGS a while ago. I bought it on steam today. I basically paid 24 dollars to not have to open the epic launcher. To my surprise, the steam version automatically recognized and used the save from the epic version. That was an unexpected bonus. I wasn't very far into the game and it's been so long I might want to start over anyway, but still pretty cool.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I liked 2016 a lot, but have never gotten myself to play past the first few missions in Eternal. The first time I quit, it was the cutscenes. I steeled myself and tried again and got further, but it never really clicked with me. I think I remember jumping around a snowy or icy level, if that sounds familiar. I don't know if it was too many buttons to push, or what, but that game just didn't draw me in like 2016 did.

I also have an incredibly low attention span for games and it's rare for me to finish even ones I like before getting distracted by something new, so that's not necessarily the game's fault.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Just want to reiterate that Children of Time is a good book worth reading if you haven't yet. I went to Barnes and Nobel looking for the next book in the series. They didn't have it, so I picked up a different book by the same dude, Cage of Souls. It was about a prison in a post-apocalyptic hell world on the edge of mankind's extinction. Dark stuff, I loved it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Fatty posted:

Isn't it implied that its Earth, as the Russian guy had a time machine, not a spaceship.

Oh yeah, I definitely thought Cage of Souls was on Earth...I never had any inclination to believe otherwise. Figured it was a different fictional universe than the Children of... books, but now that I think about it, there's no reason, at least in Children of Time, that the Cage of Souls events couldn't have happened on that Earth.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Thread, I'm a little embarrassed about this, but I only just this week realized that I don't know what a Battle Pass is. I'd like to think that is because I don't play poo poo, predatory games, but I know that's not true.

When people have talked about them before, I just thought it was the new name for a Season Pass, like a thing where you pre-order DLC, which I get why people wouldn't like, but from reading some posts, I am getting the feeling it's not that. So what is a Battle Pass? Seem like it's a set of Dailies, basically? For temporarily available (cosmetic) gains? Like the companies are capitalizing on FOMO, maybe?

And you....Pay for these dailies...somehow? The model I have in my head now, and I'm not going to google this, is there's some things to earn each month or season, or whatever, and you have to play for 7 hours a day to get them, or just pay real money? Or do you pay real money to unlock tiers so you can do even more dailies for even more exclusive content?

How far off am I here? Were these ever popular with players, or is this a purely anti-consumer trend, like lootboxes, etc.?

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Wow, Thanks. Sounds like I had a pretty good idea about it, after all. That's lame. The feeling like I was losing something by not logging in every single day (on every single character) was why I finally quit WoW for the fourth time. Any game trying to put that feeling into me again is going to be an instant quit for me, with a refund if it's available.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Hwurmp posted:

The biggest standout for me is its movement. Between your run speed, dashes, double jump, weapon jumps, wall run on special runnywalls, grappling hook, air control, the aforementioned CHAINSAW LEG, and all the unlockable upgrades for those, TO has the best movement out of all the recent shootboomers. Combat is excellent as well.

Most of the best FPSes of the last few years, I would call almost as good as Dusk and Amid Evil. Turbo Overkill is the first one I'd say is just as good as those two.

God dammit, I'm sold.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Is anyone seeing weird stuff happening with steam reporting play time? A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a LOT of games I hadn't touched in years were saying I had ~20-60 minutes played in the last two weeks. I was worried my account was compromised or something like that, but the 'last played' date on those games looked right, and convinced me it was just some kind of display bug.

I bought Like a Dragon the other day, installed it, but haven't launched it yet, and it's saying I have 93 minutes of play time. Last played says March 19. I didn't own the game until two days ago.

I did set up family sharing for my friend's son, but I'd expect his playtime to show up on his account, not mine.

This does seem more like a bug to me than someone's been playing games on my account. In the 18 years I've had a steam account, I've never once changed the password, so I probably oughta do that, although I'm afraid that when I do, I'll immediately forget the new one like I do with all my other accounts.

So yeah, anybody else seeing stuff like this? Should I be worried?

Edit: I think with LaD, I did buy it and refund it in March but had forgotten. I booted it up after posting this and there was a save file there. The other games claiming I've been playing them when I know darn well I haven't is still super weird, though.

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 21, 2023

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Okay, cool. That's encouraging. Seems like just some Steam bug.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Buff Hardback posted:

Do you have Steam Deck? I’ve found it’ll adjust play times for games in sleep mode after you wake it up to remove the time in sleep

Interesting. I do have a Steam Deck, but can't remember putting it to sleep while in-game. That's actually pretty cool; I didn't realize you could do that.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
N-thing Pentiment.

I'm only on the second chapter, but I already love it so much I think it'll be the first game I actually play to completion this year.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I think a lot of achievements these days are there for the developer to get some player statistics. Thinking of the ones that are like "Play the game at all" that have like maybe 70% of players having earned it.

I do like the special feeling when I get some super low % achievement, but not enough to deliberately go for them.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I tried to skip humble choice last month, but apparently missed a checkbox or something somewhere, because I got charged anyway. This month is lookin' like trash, too. Metal Hellsinger is good, but I already have it.

Guess it's time to cancel altogether.

I spent way too much money on games this year (bought a steam deck, an OLED switch, and last week, a whole new desktop). My goal for 2024 is going to be to spend zero dollars on games, and get through some backloggin'

My prediction is I won't make it past February.

e: Lords and Villeins does look at least interesting enough to go on my "I intend to play that someday" list, but eh, the last several months have been pretty lackluster to me.

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 3, 2023

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I have something like 900 hours in Grim Dawn, and I still don't really know what the 'end game' is. I spent all that time leveling new characters since there are so many build options. Definitely had the experience of making characters that sucked and felt bad to play very quickly, like in 10-20 levels.

But something about that game kept me coming back. I don't know what it is. It's the only game I've ever hidden from my library to stop myself from habitually booting up every time my brain got bored for 5 seconds. I don't think even WoW had that kind of addictive pull on me.

Now I see it in my library (I unhid it,) and have mostly no desire to play it. Mostly it makes me feel a little shame.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
In most shmups, at any moment, you have the choice to be shooting or not shooting. Usually, the only reason to not be shooting is to briefly get rid of some visual clutter on the screen, and the result is I pretty much always want to be shooting, so I just hold the shoot button the entire time. There have been times when I thought this really seems like a non-choice, and the game should just have me automatically shooting always without the need for a button press, but that just doesn't feel as good. Games like Vampire Survivors came along and made it feel okay, but otherwise it just feels better to me to be pushing buttons. I'd like to play a shmup game where it's inverted so you only press the button to stop shooting. I wonder how that would feel.

Sometimes games offer the player a 'choice' that isn't really a choice, but more just a satisfying interaction. The interaction of picking up garbage loot and turning it into crafting mats gets significantly less satisfying and more tedious as an ARPG gets toward the end game. Like it's something I enjoy in the beginning of the game, but by the end I'd really like it to be automated or even just obviated by some other system so it can be ignored completely.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Idle clickers have always been the logical endpoint for ARPG evolution.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
A thing I like about roguelikes vs. traditional arpgs is the impermanence of it all means there's a lot more freedom for developers to put in things that have the potential to completely break the game. As long as those sorts of things only come up occasionally, the runs where you do get something going can feel amazing, without needing to rebalance the whole game around the thing or nerf every actual interesting build into the same mediocrity as all the others. There can be a lot more interesting and game-changing effects without those effects becoming 'the meta'

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
The only Monster Hunter game I ever played was for the 3DS. I tried to get into it, but it never really clicked, even though it really seems like my kind of thing. I look at the newer games once in a while, when they go on sale. I would like to give it another shot. Is it something that can be enjoyed solo? My friends don't really play games any more so I tend to avoid games made for Co op. Gaming with randos scares me.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
To the wishlist it goes, then

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

bbcisdabomb posted:

I hope whatever gets made next it's on a portable system. MH has always been a game for me to play at a friend's house and while I really enjoyed World it was missing me sitting in a room with three of my friends.

You and your friends should get steam decks, sounds like.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

moot the hopple posted:

To give you just one famous example of the kind of Machiavellian shenanigans you can get up to in this game, you could spend a big chunk of your starting point buy into taking Power Behind the Throne, which allows you to secretly designate another player and if they end up winning the game, you actually win instead.

Nice. Reminds me of the 1970's Avalon Hill Dune board game. In the beginning of each game, whichever player was playing the Bene Gesserit would predict who would win, and on what turn, and if the prediction was correct, they won instead.

I played that game multiple times a week for a period of almost two years, and only ever saw that happen twice, but just knowing it existed always made us super suspicious whenever the BG player wanted to help somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Oh yeah. I bought it even though I have no one around who wants to play it. I knew I'd probably never even open it, but I wanted it anyway just for nostalgia. I don't regret it.