Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Nancy posted:

I think what people like about the Arkham combat is that it's sort of a rhythm builder. I just liked the "flow" of it I guess? But I'm not amazing at video games so there was a good amount of challenge at keeping the punches and dodges flowing. Witcher 3 is similar to me but the implementation is a little looser and adds in direction playing a role in how and when your strikes connect; this may be what you ran into when it felt random to you.

Can totally see how someone could find the combat style tedious though, especially if you didn't find it particularly challenging or compelling to keep tempo.

New Spiderman has the same comabt system but there's something different about it I can't place my finger on cause I gently caress it up a lot more than I did Arkham or Witcher.

I like describing it as having a "flow" to the combat, when I play those games my goal in combat is to keep the flow going and rack up that combo counter, or at least not get hit, and it visually looks good while you do it; I think spiderman did a good job mimicking it while giving it's own style, in Arkham most of the time can just stay still and as long as you press counter at the right time youll be fine, in spiderman you wont, you need to keep mobile and swing around (like spiderman would)

It's one of the things I miss in modern Assassins Creed, combat in Black Flag had a good flow to it, and it could be way too easy, but fighting a big groups of guy without getting hit, grabbing body shields when they shoot at you, could be hard and it was fun when you did everything right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Deakul posted:

Sail Forth looks really promising too, seems to have a bit of everything that one could possibly want out of a new Sid Meier's Pirates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QebjUzOHg

Anyone have impressions of it already?

There was a post about it in the Fresh Releases thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3901275&pagenumber=122&perpage=40#post528627762

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Time for some February games. You got one month off from the craziness, but it's about to pop off ALREADY this year.

Like A Dragon: Ishin - Feb 21 - All the world's a stage, and on this stage, the Yakuza characters play the roles of people in 1860s Kyo, at the end of the samurai era.

Appreciate the list. I started playing Yakuza 0 slowly a couple weeks ago and it's good, now I want to play them all, particularly this samurai one.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Anno posted:

One last round of Humble key cleaning. Please post if you take a key or try and it's already redeemed!

M9I7L-73298-RG9PK - SUPERHOT : MIND CONTROL DELETE
[

Thank you for Superhot MCD!!! :blessed:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Anno posted:

One last round of Humble key cleaning. Please post if you take a key or try and it's already redeemed!
SUPERHOT : MIND CONTROL DELETE

Want to say thanks again! It is fun when I pull off something good when surrounded and dodging bullets and whatnot; a great game for playing a bit here and there or longer if time allows, easy to lose track.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

games this month:

Imagine my surprise after all of the red flags I had felt from past demo festivals when, this past month, in drops a brand new System Shock demo, and it's everything people wanted a remake to be. It's authentic but modernized, with a look that is shiny but true to the original, and a much less obtrusive UI. Has Nightdive threaded the needle? I'm a little concerned that a specific date hasn't been listed yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if this got delayed, but for now it's here on the list.

e: some games that were slated for this month but got moved-- Supplice, and Melon Journey, got moved to April 6th. I believe Crimson Diamond was at one point targeting March but is now just "to be announced" for the release date.

Thanks for the list! I need to try that demo that’s still up.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

anyone have any idea why my add to cart and add to wishlist etc are now just text links?

there was like some steam updater little window when i started it this morning and restarting steam/computer has changed nothing, weird stuff like like annoys me :argh:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

HopperUK posted:

Does it happen in the client or the store page on a browser or both?

only the client

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

HopperUK posted:

Does it happen in the client or the store page on a browser or both?

ok going into Steam client's settings and Web Broswer then Delete Web Browser Data fixed it. Weird. :shrug:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mescal posted:

what's the thing that makes combat easy in yakuza0? am i supposed to be doing stuff in the city during the intro chapters? and leveling or something? i'm used to being spoonfed, so imagine my surprise when i was in my third battle without any potions or skills but two. i know i'm missing something basic cause i'm getting killed on easy while kiryu fights kuzes mooks

Hit and run on bosses, get a few hits and dodge away.

For bosses like Mr Shakedown, I found it much much easier to NOT lock onto the boss and try and dodge away, just run free and after they swing (or for mr shakedown, charge) let them, and then punch them in the back and run away again

patience is key but it works.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mescal posted:

it's just the early one with kuze where i'm swamped and crowded. it feels like superarmor turns on way late for power moves, and also to be honest i might just have some contoller lag or something going on. regardless i was getting stunned. i beat elden ring, i swear!

Keep at it I believe in you!

(There is opportunity in the game before that fight to buy healing items, it would suck if you have to start over but it’s not that far into the game, but you can skip cutscenes and fast forward text boxes.)

I owned Yakuza 0 for years on an impulse buy but it sure sucked me in, incredible game, but yeah the early fights are a wall I had trouble too.

Edit : also the fight in the office run around and use the furniture weapons you can pick up

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 8, 2023

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I had some weird issue with the pc Steam client a while ago and while I have no idea if it will help those here, the solution was ambiguous enough that maybe it will work for some of these other issues people are having:

PlushCow posted:

ok going into Steam client's settings and Web Broswer then Delete Web Browser Data fixed it. Weird. :shrug:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Time to talk about a lot of demos and stuff:

Knights of the Road: Too rough around the edges. I like the idea of Captain America-style having a shield be all of your combat/movement tech, but you bizarrely cannot throw your shield while jumping. Middle of the road music and level design.

77p: Eggwife: Trying Way Too Hard: the Game. wants to be just soooo zany random and edgy but without much in the way of actual jokes and just really bad (I'm sure it's "intentional" but w/e) level design and the guns feel terrible. It's like a 12 year old tried to create a Tom Green video game. The opening cutscene has a copy of E1M1 magazine featuring Postal2, because of course it does.

Burrowburrow: Now, this one's bizarre too, but it's much more competent. It's one of those break-a-bunch-of-tiles, craft-a-bunch-of-things games, but the animations are really fun and the art style's funky in a good way. Playing this on controller was awkward though, there were almost no button prompts and I had to just press stuff at random to figure out how to even bring up my backpack, let alone craft. Definitely needs more onboarding instructions.

Corsair's Madness
This platformer's a lot closer to decent than Knights of the Road. It's clearly inspired by Shovel Knight and easily pales in comparison to that game, but aiming that high at least means they put a priority into having decent music and level design. The double jump off the blue lanterns isn't perfect and may need a bit more forgiveness to the timing window. I like having the three green stars per level like Mario 3D World, which you can trade in to increase your hearts or special weapon points. Not a game I'd spend $20 on, but if I saw it for $5 I'd definitely go for it.

Decline's Drops
Definitely some promise to this one, a platformer with stylish combat and some pep in its step in general, and plenty of secret walls. The UI needs a lot of work, particularly on the world map, and the level design is scaled a little too large I think. But this one could turn out interesting.

Ekorella
Color me impressed with this RPG Maker offering. A unique world with interesting characters, completely original tile art, and fun battle animations. The spooky stuff doesn't work as well for me because I'm getting tired of the creepypasta aesthetic, and the illustrations feel oddly amateur compared to the rest of the game's art, but otherwise this one is pretty cool.

Fallen City Brawl
Color me UNimpressed with this brawler. Bad pixel scaling, basic move set, enemies stay on the ground for too long, lacking in interesting setpieces, the UI looks awful and is difficult to read. Really bad boss in the first level too.

Cloud Gardens
Now we're talking. This isn't a demo, I actually just grabbed it off of one of the old itchio megabundles I bought. But it was exactly the kind of relaxing building I was looking for after playing Tinytopia. The game has a campaign too, it's not just sandbox like I assumed it was. The goal is to help nature reclaim desolate dioramas by planting seeds, then placing down trash that impacts the plant growth. You have to reach 100% to complete the level, and so you have to balance the amount of disposable garbage you're placing with well placed seeds to grow over top of them. I've gone through 2 chapters so far and I really like it.

Cosmic Express
It's just this and Sokobond on my list of Draknek games to play, and this one was in that same megabundle. It's a draw-a-line puzzler where you have to pick up passengers and get them to their homes before you can leave the stage, and you have to do it all in one linear railway. What's interesting is some levels have multiple exits, which lead to different level unlocks. I'm a big fan of Draknek puzzlers, and this one is solid, though not my favorite of theirs (A Monster's Expedition, in my opinion, is masterclass design and a top 25 puzzle game).

Hokko Life
Still on the lookout for relaxing games, I gave Hokko Life a try since I got it in some Fanatical bundle at some point I think. This one is basically Animal Crossing in fast forward, as each quest unlocks almost immediately after the other, and you can pass time by sleeping. Which is fine by me because I can enjoy the AC gameplay but the world itself in Hokko is really generic, and the animal designs are just kind of off-putting/creepy. I'll just unwind with this game for a couple of days before moving on to something else probably. HowLongToBeat says this game is only 5 and a half hours long so they really just kind of took the bag and ran, huh.

I appreciate the demo impressions, this kind of stuff in the thread feels like the only way I can keep up with new stuff.

Burrowburrow looks interesting, going to wishlist it to keep track

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Alright, so May's just about here, here's what's due this month:

WH40K: Boltgun - May 23 - Hell yea, now we're talking my language. Boltgun takes the world of WH40K that for some reason has repeatedly been presented in games as being something I should take seriously, and says no, do not take this seriously actually, this is a very silly looking boomer shooter. Did they obviously pixelize 3D assets? Sure. But it still looks neat. And it'll be a finished game, not 'the first episode' and you have to wait 3 years. Which I always encourage.

Boomer shooters aren't my thing but Boltgun does look fun and I hope it turns out well, one I'll keep an eye on.

The 7th Guest posted:

LOTR: Gollum - May 25 - ...I truly have no idea who this is for. I don't think even LOTR fans care about this.

I don't understand this one either and I wish a new or remastered Battle for Middle Earth will get made.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Thanks! :blessed:

Ulio posted:

I wish EA would do it, recently they been doing well with Dead Space, Mass Effect, Burnout and Command & Conquer remaster/remakes. Their LOTR games were amazing and those Battle for Middle Earth RTS games were so much fun. Of course they would have to pay for the license again so thats an issue.

Also on the Arkane talk, I really wish I liked Deathloop it definitely is one of those games I want to finish just to see how it ends but the AI is so goddam horrible in that game. Legit feels like fighting tutorial dummies.

Yeah I'd hope it has a chance, I don't think it would be too hard for EA to get a license out of Warner Bros in their current state.

Though it's not the same kind of game, the Total War Warhammer games are the only thing that have given me a good feel of battles similar to the BFME games. Units with weight, and Orcs, goblins, dragons, big monsters, and some crazy magic (though not as crazy as BFME sadly)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

DarkDobe posted:

The answer to this and 'why was this dumb thing this way' is almost always going to be 'the owner wanted it this way'.

The original idea for the game was a civil war shooter, which we were making for a rich guy with a civil war fetish. He already owned a company that makes slot machine games (and rakes it in that way).

At the time, there wasn't an engine capable of representing proper civil war battles with hundreds of men lining up and shooting each, so our two lunatic software engineers made one (they went on to make Marmoset). Then we had the bright idea of including other time periods, and the whole time traveling shooter concept blossomed out of that.

There's a ton we could have done differently, better, or not at all. A lot of the odd seeming choices were compromises between what the owner wanted (usually horrible) and what we talked them into accepting (usually okay). This dude had never played an FPS in his life.

We played around a lot with the idea of modifying period weapons with future-tech - like turning a single shot musket into a self loading gun with fancy upgrades. Ultimately that was declined because it was a huge amount of asset work for our overworked modeling team - and it was deemed simpler to make like 4 'future guns' rather than multiple stages of 'futurized' variants of all the regular weapons. Instead, the player gets to upgrade their overall performance (reload speed, etc) that affects all guns.

That's how we end up with the level where you end up in Antietam with an assault rifle, making some 'numerical adjustments' to the confederate lines. I think the parts of the game where you get really anachronistic guns and go apeshit are the best parts, and there's usually one of those every mission or two.

It was a neat game, thanks for sharing

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Guerilla Collective 2023 Recap

Like the past couple of years, MiX arranged the games in themed segments, although the themes this year were... well, very loose, lol.

Segment 1: Intro

Terra Memoria (TBA) is an HD-2D RPG

Sengoku Dynasty (TBD) is an open world game set in feudal Japan where you build and manage villages. Will launch in Early Access

This very silly looking character is from Forgotlings (2024), a sequel to cinematic platformer Forgotton Anne, which looks to carry on the same style of 2.5D gameplay and hand-drawn animation.

Evolutis: Duality (TBD) is a narrative action-adventure about a professional MMA fighter in Fenghai, with lots of rotoscoped animations and some fighting gameplay.

Europa (2023) is a gorgeous looking exploration 3D platformer in a large world with Ghibli/NiNoKuni-esque visuals.

Light Odyssey (2023) is a stylized boss rush hack-and-slash where you do battle against The Colossus in its many forms.

Abyssus (TBD) is a roguelite 'brinepunk' FPS set in the (quite inhabited) ruins of a former underwater civilization.

A Tiny Sticker Tale (TBD) is a cozy adventure that reminds me a bit of Carto, where you take and place stickers on the world to progress.

Dwarf Delve (TBA) is a Minecraft-looking roguelite where you dig deep for treasures and some really slow swinging animations.

Remnant 2 (Summer 2023) is obviously the biggest boy shown in this majority-indie showcase, a sequel to the Soulsy third-person co-op shooter.

Segment 2: "Neo Retro"

Iron Meat (October)'s inspiration should be obvious. I thought the demo was just ok at the time when I played it in a Next Fest two years ago, but it definitely looks like it's gotten significantly more polished since then.

Hammerwatch 2 (TBD) expands beyond the dungeons of the original to a larger open world.

If Asteroids was more about 'vibes' and beats, you'd have Super Space Club (August 4).

Toxic Crusaders (2024) is a beat-em-up in the style of TMNT Shredder's Revenge but for the Toxic Crusaders cartoon of the early 90s. Voice acting by Team FourStar, and will have a FMV intro by Lloyd Kaufman from Troma. It honestly looks pretty cool.

30XX (out now in Early Access) is the sequel to Megaman-ish roguelite 20XX. They gave a date (Q3 2023) but it wasn't clear if this was for the 1.0 release or just a Switch port.

Leximan (2024) is a narrative RPG with a unique gimmick, where you cast spells by grabbing phonemes/syllables out of the air to form words. The game promises hundreds of ways to play the game so we might have a Scribblenauty experience on our hands?

Antonblast (TBD) is the OTHER Wario Land tribute that has been in development for a long time. It'll be called a Pizza Tower knockoff, but the truth is that both were in development at the same time and one just happened to come out earlier than the other. A demo has gone up today.

Segment 3: Horror, FPS

Serum (TBD) is a survival game where you are addicted to a strange green liquid that can alter your body, and you must use it to stay alive.

Do You See Sparky?/Sparky Marky Online (TBA) is another one of those horror games with a cutesy character that is actually SPOOKY!!! These things exist to cater to streamers and "Lore Youtube" and I'm sure it'll do fine with that group of people. I couldn't care less!

World of Horror (out now in early access) is a well-loved Junji Ito inspired roguelite investigation game with monochrome pixel art. With a Switch release on the horizon, it's time for an actual, real-rear end, for real, 1.0 date. October 19th.

Pneumata (TBA) is yet another horror survival FPS with a Lovecraftian tag on Steam. Wake me if it's actually any good but please. Horror game studios. Stop with the Lovecraft. Find other inspiration. PLEASE.

Battle Shapers (Summer 2023) is a vibrant robot-smashing roguelite FPS that could probably get a license from NERF if they wanted, just based on how colorful it is.

Deadlink (July 27th) is a heavily movement-focused roguelite FPS in a cyberpunk setting. The dev announced the 1.0 date.

Blood West (out in early access), a Wild West-themed immsim with a boomer shooter aesthetic, announced their 1.0 date as well: December 2023

Segment 4: RPGs
(their definition is a little bit loose, mind you)

Demonschool (2023) is an indie RPG inspired by the Persona series, with tactical combat that I'd call more boardgamey than a full-on SRPG. It's obviously got style for days.

Quest Master (TBA) is a Zelda-style "Maker" game that somehow isn't Super Dungeon Maker. seriously I thought it was going to be that and then suddenly it was a different game name lol.

SacriFire (TBD) is an indie RPG stylized like HD-2D games such as Octopath Traveler, by the developer of Regalia and Warsaw.

A Bonnie Odyssey (TBA) is a first person "retrofuturist puzzle mystery". The trailer didn't really show much other than the environments.

Dark Deity 2 (TBA), the closest knockoff to Fire Emblem you can find in indie gaming, is back and Mostly Positiver than ever.

WrestleQuest (Summer 2023) is one of two wrestle-themed indie RPGs to be shown at this event, and what WrestleQuest brings to the table is celebrity endorsements, as Macho Man Randy Savage, Jake the Snake Roberts, and Andre the Giant (and other real-world wrestlers) are licensed and in the game.

(no picture yet)
Grifford Academy (TBA) is an isekai RPG with simpified towns/world map and an interesting aesthetic.

Toads of the Bayou (TBA) is a tactics game with deckbuilding starring toads, and Baron Samedi.

Arc Seed (TBA) is another tactics game with deckbuilding, where you get in the robot Shinji and fight (Arch)Angels as you save the earth and receive congratulations.

Segment 5: "cerebral games" (look its their words, not mine)

Crashlands 2 (2024) is the sequel to the highly popular crafty/survival game which I think was a bigger hit on mobile than PC.

Deck of Souls (TBA) is a deckbuilding game... these all look the same to me IDK. Is this what it's like when a Metroidvania hater sees games with running and jumping in them?

Yomi 2 (2023) is by Sirlin Games, who seems to think that they own the word "yomi" and so they go after anything else with Yomi in the title, much like that trademark troll that went after games with "EDGE" in the game back in the early 2010s. Which went SUPER GREAT for that guy.

Growth (TBA) is a map expansion game on a hexagonal grid which will probably draw a comparison to Dorfromantik, although it's more based on utilizing animal skills that you discover in the world.

Nova Lands (June 22) is a mix of action-exploration and factory/automation game by the dev of Mana Spark.

Jumplight Odyssey (TBD) is a spaceship/colony sim inspired by Macross and Fallout Shelter. Manage your crew, send people on away missions, and deal with drama.

Don Duality (TBD) is a deckbuilding game but set in a mafioso tycoon setting. Do dirty deeds and then use the ill-gotten funds to run your restaurant.

CorpoNation (TBD) is one of those narrative dystopian job games where you perform tedious tasks and eventually get recruited by a rebel group. It has neat-looking old MacOS kinda visuals. Has a prologue available today.

Revealed earlier this year, Kingdom Eighties (June 26) takes the Kingdom series to a very unexpected and modern setting inspired by Stranger Things and The Goonies. What is your kingdom in this context? A summer camp, naturally.

Segment 6: Cozy/artistic games

Sticky Business (2023) is a tiny lil' game about running your own sticker shop.

Super Adventure Hand (2023) shows us that we don't really need Glover when we can just have a plain, gloveless disembodied hand doing the platforming! Demo available.

A Corgi's Cozy Hike (Q3 2023)'s inspiration is obvious, but no it's not the developer of A Short Hike. It looks a little jankier by comparison.

Lake announced some holiday DLC called Season's Greetings, releasing, when else, but this holiday season. (original game pictured)

Pizza Possum (TBD) is a stealth arcade game about eating all the food as a hungry lil possum while avoiding guard dogs. It will have a demo in the upcoming Steam Next Fest.

Noun Town Language Learning (TBD) is what looks like a cozy way to learn vocab of different languages through minigames.

Olliefrog Toad Skater (Q4 2023) seems like a simple skateboarding game that I'd sooner expect to see in the Wholesome Direct, although it claims it is more than just a meme game with a career/story mode and full character customization (well, to an extent). The skating looks a lot more refined than Skatebird, I'll give it that much. Demo available.

Segment 7: Story-driven games

Lil Guardsman (Summer 2023) asks "what if Papers Please was actually a Cartoon Network show set in a fantasy realm?" Demo now available.

Bye Sweet Carole (TBA) is a fairy-tale inspired story game trying to go for Disney-style animation, but you can't fool me game. You said "by the creator of Remothered" at the beginning. That game, is some real smelly garbage.

A Void Hope (TBA) is a narrative platformer by the developer of Alwa's Legacy/Awakening, and as always the pixel art is on point. A demo is coming at the upcoming Next Fest.

Death Trick: Double Blind (TBD) is inspired by Ace Attorney and is an investigation game at the circus (bold choice, seeing as Ace Attorney fans would NOT like that setting). You play as two different characters, and the game is turn/round-based with actions costing AP.

Three Minutes to Eight (Q4 2023) is a point and click adventure by the developer of Encodya about robots and consciousness. The Steam page is a mess of intentionally broken text and censor blocks.

Nivalis (TBD) is a restuarant management and life-sim hybrid game set in the world of Cloudpunk. The dev showed off their mocap work.

Segment 8: Action games

Heart Abyss (TBD) is a planned episodic series of action-platformers with an emphasis on fast movement and brawling.

Promenade (2023) is a charming looking 2D platformer where you have a bird friend in your backpack (but not THAT bird friend)

Nocturnal (out today) is an atmospheric action platformer themed around fighting against the darkness with a fire sword that can light torches.

(no picture available)
Corrupt (TBA) is a fighting game with kind of drab and dark visuals. Good luck but, this market's kind of already got a lot of top heat.

Crypt Custodian (2024) is a top-down Metroidvania dungeon crawler where you play an afterlife janitor who looks a little like Mao Mao. By the dev of Islets and Sheepo. The dude loves to make Metroidvanias!

Gori: Cuddly Carnage (2023) is one of those games that looks better in motion than stills because boy howdy is it hard to find an appealing still image. But it does look pretty slick in motion (well, it's still really garish with its crunchy colors/contrast). You're a skateboarding cat beating the poo poo out of 'cute' enemies, character-action style.

GRIME: Tinge of Terror (out today) is a new DLC expansion to Grime (sorry for the old screenshot as new screens weren't available yet) for NG+ players which adds new attack patterns to enemies and new progression elements.

Dawn of the Monsters (available) is a kaiju brawling game published by WayForward which also announced a NG+ DLC today, along with a new character and additional stuff.

---

Another decent showing of indie games of all kinds, though there was nothing truly standout, like, say, Plucky Squire. There is also a Publisher Spotlight happening but I will post it separately since this post was enormous as is.

too many games! but always a few i add to the wishlist to keep an eye on, thanks.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Summer Game Fest 2023 Recap

The 7th Guest posted:

Devolver Showcase 2023

The 7th Guest posted:

Day of the Devs 2023

Thanks, makes it a lot easier to follow.

More Yakuza is good and Space Marine 2 looks great, but not much else grabbing my interest. There's a such a glut of games out in just the last 6 months I'd like to play someday and I know I never will.

Also I've been a huge fan of the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games and it would be great if one of these many similar games can get close to that quality, I can't keep playing Stardew forever.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Okay, this is gonna be a long post, so I'm going to try to condense it as best I can for the three Saturday events. There's also a fourth event I'm not covering. I decided it'd be easier to look through the games ahead of time and write this up before the events, like I did with the Tribeca recap. Too much to cover! I tried to organize this in a way that sort of made sense, with a lot of like games paired together, but that wasn't always possible.

FUTURE OF PLAY

:nice:

En Garde! looks neat I think ill try the demo this week, and maybe for The Bookwalker too.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

SGF demos

Surmount is pretty silly fun, and I'll have to play Jusant to see how it compares, as Surmount's climbing gameplay is more arcadey and reminds me of Heave Ho, where you are planting your hands on the wall (one for each trigger button) and then flinging yourself around. You can also find spots to tether yourself to so you won't fall and lose major progress (ie Getting Over It). The style is also cute, with sort of Mii-adjacent character creation and easily readable use of color so you always know what is grab-able and what isn't. However, when I finished the tutorial area and went to start the actual roguelite part, the game softlocked on the loading. Woops! I'm not a roguelite-head but this is interesting enough to draw my attention. Grade: B+

Go Go Town is not quite what I was expecting. I figured Go Go Town was Animal Crossing with far more town management, but the reality is that this game is purely town management that you just so happen to be able to run around in. Yes, you chop trees and mine rocks, but there is no life sim progression here, the tools are just there for you to pick up, use, and put back down when you're done. And the furnaces/machines are already there (although this might just be a demo consideration). So what is the actual gameplay? Largely, opening up shops and functions around the town, which involves paying for and marking an area of land, then gathering the resources to build the building. Lastly assigning a role to the building, a worker to the building, and deciding on what it will sell. These items also require resources so you'll be doing more gathering and then dropping them off at the stores so they can, well, operate, and put some money back into your town's budget. There is also automation where you hire workers to gather resources for you, which I imagine will be pretty important the larger your town gets. I dunno if this is 100% the game for me, it's an odd feel so far. I don't know if being a character running around is all that useful for a game like this, vs just being a point and click god-style interface like your average builder. Grade: C

Welp, I played the Steamworld Build demo for over an hour so that must mean it's at least pretty good. It checks a lot of boxes for me, by mixing the city building and resource gathering of a traditional builder with the additional mining component that is inherited from the Dig series. Yeah you're clicking to dig on cubey tiles rather than jumping around and digging yourself, but it's still similar enough that it works well with the building gameplay. This is a story-based builder so you're gonna be hunting down 6 pieces of a rocket ship in the full game, and I presume that means multiple floors of the mine, as well as expanding your town beyond what was just available to you in the demo. Only question is just how long is the game going to be? I got the first piece of rocket after an hour, so... surely a city builder's not gonna have a 6-7 hour campaign? But then again, Steamworld games are not known for being super long either, usually in that 10-12 hour range. So I guess the price point will be pretty important on this one. Grade: A

Go Go Town looks super cute but shame about the gameplay

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I played some demos but most needed some more time to bake, but these two were pretty neat:

En Garde!

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256952039/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1686416495
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1654660/En_Garde/

Already been mentioned, but this swashbuckler is very neat, the gameplay of fighting, moving around, parrying, etc, works well, and more importantly it's fun, I am definitely keeping this on the wishlist for later.

Gaucho and the Grassland

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256945012/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1683139134
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1670830/Gaucho_and_the_Grassland/

Super super cute life sim, a gathering and crafting game, you lasso bulls and herd cows, and build yourself a cattle ranch, and you have a dog buddy that digs stuff up for you. I think this one has great potential.
There's been lots of life sims lately that are too close to the farming Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons/Stardew Valley mold without differentiating themselves enough imo, but this game shares that kinda cozy feel and charm and I hope it turns out well.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 21, 2023

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Artelier posted:

Is Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town the recommended farm game nowadays outside of Stardew or is it the other one? I see it just popped up on Game Pass and wondering if that's the one people play now and not Harvest Moon, or maybe it's the other way around

Story of Seasons is the current brand name for the original line of Harvest Moon games, and Friends of Mineral Town is a remake of a gameboy advanced game of the same name. I played the GBA game and it was a solid harvest moon title, and though I havent played this remake from what I hear it's simpler than more recent entries into the series. It wont be Stardew good but I hear it's decent.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 29, 2023

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Gravity Circuit releases July 13th

This looked cute so I tried the demo and omg a bionic commando grabber arm i am sold this is going on the wishlist

since the sale starts today i will be doing a wishlist purge but this one already rated a keeper

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I did something that's unusual for me, I bought a Steam game AND i started playing it right away and have kept at it, Weird West https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097350/Weird_West_Definitive_Edition/

Some game description words: top down twin stick shooter immersive sim. So you can climb in windows and down chimneys and loot cabinets for junk to sell. Be sneaky or be loud, guns a-blazin'. I liked the demo and it gives a pretty good impression imo, and the game is down to a low price going by isthereanydeal at $10. It's been fun and there's a quicksave/load that I have been abusing too much, not because I'm bad, but because I want to keep trying different things in situations like how many baddies can I cover in oil and set on fire or hit with the toxic sludge, etc.

I wish it was as cheap for console right now because my old computer is on its way out and I want to keep playing :clint:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Anno posted:

For some reason I thought they wanted to do something other than Stronghold. But I’m at least mildly interested in this.

https://twitter.com/fireflyworlds/status/1679490632786784257?s=20

This makes me happy because the 2D strongholds were the best, the 3d ones made weird choices and were often buggy as heck

Mordja posted:

I've never really played a Stronghold game, but isn't Crusader the one everybody likes?

Crusader is probably better for the more stuff they put into it, but the first one was perfectly good and playable. It has been a long time but I remember a lot of the Crusader maps had some annoyances like small build areas

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I beat Weird West yesterday and it was good! Mostly. I'd really like to see a sequel, there's a lot they could build on, I think they could easily go from good to great. Lots of fun gameplay systems are in place but there's things I think they need to fix, like being able to give your companions commands (there's a mod I guess you could download to do this but it's odd it's not baked it), and also make the loot more interesting/varied.

In the game over the course of the story you get switched between 5 main characters, and you start fresh in terms of your inventory with each new character but you can go buy a horse, or open a bank box that will keep what you had for previous characters, and also you can recruit the previous characters as NPC companions and access their old inventory that way, also the upgrade tokens they had when you were switched over — except for the last character! They don't allow this and I was super annoyed because the previous character I had a bunch of legendary weapons, including the first character's gun that is the only gun that can be upgraded all the way.

But that was the only major annoyance, the game was lots of fun, worth checking out.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
They mean you can now be hit from a sniper from undersea or space

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mordja posted:

Loved RDR2, but would playing the first game now feel like too much of a step back?

It would not feel like much of a step back at all. The controls as a cover shooter are basically the same. It has little to none of the cowboy sim- systems, but the basic cover shooter gameplay is nearly identical between the two games. Cougars can kill you just as fast.

If you enjoyed RDR2 you will probably enjoy RDR1, the big difference is in the tone of the game. Not to say it's not overall somber like RDR2, but it has a lot more, I'm not sure of the right words to use, maybe silliness, sometimes juvenile, also meanness, that makes it closer in tone to the GTA games than RDR2.

edit: i cant remember what cowboy-sim systems there are. I think you can feed and take care of your horse and catch new ones, but I dont think you do things like clean your gun or have the crafting options of RDR2.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 7, 2023

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Harminoff posted:

Wow skull and bones is still being developed and going to have a beta weekend? Call me intrigued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAlTVPohslk

Shouldve made Black Flag 2

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Just Crow Things (TBA): The dev of Rain On Your Parade is not done ruining things, as you now play a bird that poops on people.

incredible... wishlisted!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Sorry for being late on this. Here's what looks interesting to me in October. People are already discussing Diablo IV, THPS 1 & 2 and Disgaea 7, so no need to include those. Why the big gap between now and the 12th? Well, there's a Steam Next Fest next week. So some indies are probably keeping their releases out of that initial 48 hour window.

Gargoyles Remastered (Oct 19) - I legit do not know who asked for this but here's a remake of the SNES game Gargoyles??

I might have an idea, I think the Gargoyles thing is just to drum up interest in the IP; Disney was known to have flirted with the idea of a live action movie long long ago, but a few years ago there were lots of rumors that Jordan Peele asked them if he could do a Gargoyles movie and they said no, that it's something they think is a good enough of an idea to do someday to keep it close — but imo with Star Wars and Marvel bloat I think they are flirting with it again (and other movie properties in general that arent superhero/star wars like Tron) and I can think of no other reason why that game would get a remaster other than general Disney interest in the property.

I remember it being kinda neat on the Genesis but it wouldnt have been the first old game that comes to mind to revive. Looks nice though

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

FutureCop posted:

A small batch of Next Fest impressions before beddy-bye time:
DEMOS

DEMOS

DEMOS

I appreciate these demo impressions. Only one I've played so far was for Stronghold: Definitive Edition , it is the original Stronghold with new graphics, audio, some new missions, multiplayer support, and also Steam Workshop.

It seemed exactly like the original Stronghold, which is great, and there is a MODERN right click to move (yay!). If it's not too expensive I will pick it up, The game is still solid, and I love all the little animations of your people baking bread or making bows etc.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

hope it's decent! :pray:

If the remastered game is cheap enough I might pick it up.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Phlegmish posted:

Just booted up Marvel's Spider Man Remastered and I'm getting my rear end kicked. Maybe I shouldn't have picked the second-highest difficulty level when I'm not very good at that Arkham Asylum endless combo type combat

e: alright, I guess spamming left click + CTRL constantly works reasonably well

e2: Tara Platt is in so many things

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Arkham combat is extremely reactive where you wait for the enemy to attack and then parry to create openings, Spider-Man combat is kinda the opposite cause you will get your rear end kicked hard if you try to wait for the enemy to do something. Instead, move around, stay airborne as much as possible, and use your webshooters and gadgets to create your own openings. Wrapping up enemies and slamming them into walls/the floor will insta-KO them, abuse this mechanic as much as possible

Yeah this, I tried to play Spiderman initially like youre Batman but NO youre Spiderman, "Does whatever a spider can", keep mobile and use the aerial web pull to bring guys up in the air with you to beat on.

I love the Arkham style combat and im glad spiderman does it own twist on it, i cant wait to play the second one, somday

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

explosivo posted:

A friend sent me an invite for the skull and bones beta and I figured what the hell let's try it. I had zero expectations but even still they hosed up with this one. They managed to make a pirate game where sailing the boat and shooting cannons at other boats and sinking boats feels like dogshit garbage. You can turn on a dime and the cannons are like rocket launchers on a cooldown. At some point someone must have pounded a fist on a table and said "esports this game up about 75% goddamnit" and this iteration of this game congealed into existence. AC4 boats this ain't, unfortunately.

lol the whole game was made because of the positive response to AC4 ship combat, great job ubi loving up the basics

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Fruits of the sea posted:

MMO but you are a boat.

That's so dumb it wraps back around to being amazing, I love it. Is there any way to paint the boats or give them hats?

this game already exists, it's called Naval Action

https://i.imgur.com/2ELGJM8.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/an9lWkw.mp4

but everything about it is a mess except for the ship combat, which was pretty fun; i was a super casual player which was the way to go, because everything else seemed hostile to having any fun

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

StrixNebulosa posted:

My thought is that if you want more sea battles, read the Aubrey-Maturin book series.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Perestroika posted:

I had such high hopes for and fun with the simple "World of Sailships" deathmatch kinda deal they had going on in the beta. And then the game hit 1.0 and turned into one of those MMOs where it was just super tedious to get to the actually fun parts. :arghfist::smith:

edit: Also yeah have another link for the Skull and Bones beta, should be good for two invites: https://register.ubisoft.com/skulla...dKopKtUp9BWt6gA

those early beta battles were a good time :rip:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Orv posted:

The greatest crime of Andromeda is that all of that mediocrity is wrapped around a wonderfully tight set of combat design. ME3 is similar but has lots of other solid bits to back it up.

It has been a while so I cant remember 100% but I remember being annoyed at andromeda's combat because you only had like 3 hotkeys and you couldnt do the in combat pause menu to select another ability, which means combo-ing biotic powers sucked compared to ME3.

That being said I didn't hate Andromeda, it was okay but never hit the highs the original series did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I bought and played the 2005 Neversoft developed game GUN (https://store.steampowered.com/app/2610/GUN/)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR-_jnT1cGE

and it is amusing to me how much more this game feels like the first in the Red Dead series than Red Dead Revolver. A (small) open world, narrative game, third person shooter with bullet time, and basic sidequests like wanted posters, cattle herding, big game hunting, poker. You will be randomly attacked by bandits. It also has a button for holstering your weapon.

And I think it holds up! Gameplay wise yes, story mostly (with a big asterisk, stuff like a scalping mechanic that does nothing and can be ignored but yikes even for 2005).

It has a great voice cast too: Thomas Jane as the main character, with Kris Kristofferson, Lance Henriksen, Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, Tom Skerritt.

This was the third time I can remember playing it, first on the Gamecube and then also on the PSP (which had a multiplayer mode I think I got to play once, with maybe two other people, back when every game had to have a multiplayer mode). There's a widescreen fix out there that worked okay, but it made the cursor off-center from where you were really clicking but it didnt matter except for menus. A fun ~8 hour game.