Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Volte posted:

Is there some trick to making Tunic not feel just demoralizingly punishing without just turning on god mode or whatever? I got to a part where you have to get past some alligator things (along with some flying laser enemies that come out of the wall, for reference) which are easy enough to face by themselves, but there's one spot where multiple ones aggro simultaneously and it feels like it's not even possible to avoid death once that happens. I've probably made like 40 attempts over the course of a couple of weeks and not come close to doing it. I've beaten Sekiro without dying, but these motherfuckers are on another level. They run and attack too fast to run away (and seemingly chase you forever anyway, even if you could get away), they attack out of phase which each other so there's no opening for attacking, even blocking with the shield doesn't seem viable because I run out of stamina so quickly and half the time the angle isn't quite right so the block fails anyway. And I can only take like two or three hits from them before dying.

The game seems up my alley in theory but this is a brick wall and the level of punishing difficulty just seems totally at odds with the frankly undercooked combat system and ostensibly exploration oriented game design.

As others have said, those crcos are *assholes*. I think that's possibly the hardest 'not a boss' encounter in the entire game, I totally know the spot too. There are other hard fights, but you're generally prepped for them.

I think they'd be no shame in using a godmode for that one room, and turn it back off afterwards. The first 'git gud' boss fight happens shortly afterwards, with a secret about using the stat upgrades that the manual tells you about, which becomes a fair litmus for the combat proficiency in the rest of the game.

edit: Or just spam consumables at them and/or run past. Fudge those crocs, it took me forever to learn how to properly dodge them even if their gimmick is obvious (they have good speed and range, but their bite misses if you're moving laterally to them).

Serephina fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Volte posted:

Tunic update: I'm up to 11 attempts against Garden Knight. So far none of the attempts has lasted past 2 seconds

edit: the last one ended so fast the boss health bar was still appearing on the screen after I respawned

hahaha, It's like that moment in Hades where if you have the basic mook land the killing blow on you, the sleepy guy back at base who gives commentary on your runs rather awkwardly suggests "Have you tried... dodging?"

There's a paper-manual clue about a new mechanic that can give you +stats before the boss, but that won't help much if he just keeps whalloping you. That boss is an actual 'git gud' moment where you need to learn his patterns.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Comparing the two, while Death's Door jumps straight into the fighting much faster, I felt that Tunic's levels where a lot tighter in hindsight. DD also never did anything with its cool intro/raven/noir aesthetic, and while they both had a post-game puzzling, Tunic leaned into it much, much more.

I'm very biased, but I do feel that Tunic is the much more complete & memorable product with a focused theme, but I guess a lot of your enjoyment of it depends on how much tolerance you have for a game being unapologetically... obtuse.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

big cummers ONLY posted:

Couple of Dusk questions:

- Do secret walls always have some kind of tell, or is this a "check every surface in every level" situation?
- Any tricks for checking for secrets faster, like holding E while running instead of tapping it, etc?

Might wanna come visit us in the early FPS thread for more detailed chat.

IIRC half the secrets are about noticing something is off, and the other half is about breaking level boundaries. I don't remember much wall humping, but I do remember a bit of "I KNOW IT'S HERE WHERE IS IT".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Out of curiosity, what type of space game are you wanting? It's just a setting, and there's not much to recommend it unless you're doing space-only stuff, which is typically ships going pew-pew.

There's spacey role playing games, spacey 4X's, spacey RTS's, spacey FPS's (which you don't like), spacey ship tactics games (ditto), spacey roguelikes, so on so forth. I think only the RPGs didn't have lasers going pew.

For controlling a single massive ship, there was Dreadnaught, and honestly F2P aside, I don't think it'd be a cool game anyways as controlling a single hero unit gets boring quickly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Maybe cuz all the 4X's in the past.. I dunno, ten years or so? Have been subpar and/or been majorly flawed.

It's a rough genre to like, but probably not as rough as RTS'.

edit: well maybe not. we got RA3 at least, I dunno what the poor 4X guys got.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Agent355 posted:

Any cool roguelikes come out in the indie world recently? Like the traditional sort a la Dredmor or Dungeonmans.

How out of date are you?

-Caves of Qud is nearing the end of it's Early Access and is absolutely excellent, the only missing content is the final chapter of the quest. It has an overworld/village/item selling system so there's no real time clock, but the setting is outstanding and carries it.
-Cogmind is a very traditional RL with a strict clock, which embraces the gimmick of all gear being breakable/disposable. Top notch production values.
-Rift Wizard is loved by the community even if it leans closer to a puzzle game. The sprites are primitive, but the game is addictive, difficult-in-a-good-way, and very wide.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That sounds like a terrible game all around. I know you guys are reminiscing about it, but seriously.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jack Trades posted:

[Rise of Tomb raider chat]
That gamemode was very good.

I own that game but never finished it, had a terminal case of cbf about 3/4ths the way through. What's this survival mode and why is it so good?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, that and they really loved missions where you don’t get a base.

Ended up spending most of my time in skirmish mode in the remaster. Don’t really enjoy rts without some macro elements

You'll be delighted to know that that same mistake is still being made in the modern day. The most recent DK2 clones (War for the Overworld & Dungeons 3) both have a no-base mission where you guide around a large blob of dudes and hero units. Dungeon Keeper clones, with no dungeons. Sigh.

I think even halfway decent RTS's don't do that poo poo anymore, such as Deserts of Kharak or Grey Goo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Dungeons has dungeon building in all of its levels, the issue with Dungeons 3 is that there's literally only one trap needed and theres zero variance in the "dungeon invasion" gameplay. They come in through designated points. DK2 those fuckers would just chisel through the wall and gently caress your heart

According to steam cheevos, I completed "Ups and downs" and never finished “The Titan of Alphaas”. The mission that made me throw the whole game in the dustbin certainly *started* with no dungeon for the first few minutes, regardless of if you got deigned to be given one later on. The overworld combat was nowhere near good enough to play a Blizzard-style hero-unit version of it. But as you said, D3 also had a huge other pile of issues that removed all of the teeth of DK's gameplay. I much, much preferred WftO's missions as they had fun bite, even if it was a rougher product in other areas.

Neither of them are good heirs to DK2, which is all that really matters.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you're at the 2 hours mark and you don't like it, or anything else for that matter, just refund the thing.

I personally felt it was amazing and worthy of being a thread favorite, but if it doesn't click it doesn't click, don't suffer through games you don't enjoy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sh! Don't click those spoilers! Shame, SHAME.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

skeletronics posted:

I really enjoyed Endless Legend, but couldn't get too into Endless Space 2 when I tried it. I'm interested in Humankind, but the mixed reviews give me pause. Anybody have impressions on it? What's it do well, how does it fail, etc?

We just had a chat in the Endless/etc thread, myself and others where unimpressed. And we're the target audience of people who love Amplitude games and like civ! Conversation starts here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So Shadow of War is in the GOG sale, and there are apparently some significant downsides to playing the game without the Steamworks integration; nevermind the lack of friends list integration features, apparently there's just straight up no function to reassign your champions to move them between regions. Is that as big of a deal as it sounds like? It sounds like kind of a big deal.

Then again apparently Shadow of Mordor just retired the Nemesis Forge, Vendetta missions, and leaderboards so who knows how long SoW's Steamworks functions will be around either.

The online features of SoW where the part of the product you tried to interact with the least, they added nothing but grind for most players trying to enjoy the "game proper". There's probably one guy who enjoyed crafting misery captains to annoy other players in multi, and yes for him this is a great loss. Otherwise meh.

edit: I think I transferred one captain who was a plot character to a place that had significance to him before he got lobotomized, but there was no special dialogue/cheevo, so it was all wasted effort *shakes fist*

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Play posted:

Titanfall 2 is 3 bucks on steam atm. Seems like a p good deal

Much like all the free games EA is giving away, the true cost is in getting people to sign up to their storefront.

There is always a derail about 'people who won't use other storefronts / why the loyalty to Valve' and I'll all I've gotta say is that I'm on Linux and that none of Humble or itcho.io games need me to run their loving storefront through WINE, nevermind the games themselves.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Please do not buy bad games just because they have a slider that you like.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ymgve posted:

Is Forspoken a reverse isekai?

I hate you for making me look that up. "Fiction where someone falls through a portal and meets a new world" for anyone watching at home.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've never heard of that game before today. How does one run this scam, was the game crowd-sourced or something? I'd be amazed if it was so simple to rip off a big production company and skip town.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Anno posted:

This was announced at Microsoft/Bethesda’s event today, and then promptly launched for $30. Seems pretty rad.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1817230/HiFi_RUSH/

https://twitter.com/xboxgamepasspc/status/1618360594989711360?s=46&t=LLXjGv0gei3GVceyecoEdg

That's... the exact same style of commentary (in the Steam Page's Trailer) that everyone is dunking on Forsaken for. Is it a style of US children's show or something?

The animation style & detail looks top notch, tho.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't think DoomGuy16 is miming anything from the Marvel Movies, even metaphorically. You've got a weird idea in your head there Volte but I don't think it's coming out right.

Setting that aside, I still get a kick out of the lead dev refusing to elaborate on the Doom16 plot's development, stating "It was put in at the very last minute, no I don't want to talk about it, it's kind of shameful really". And yes, they knocked it out of the park.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Syndicate fps will be remembered mostly for how it thoroughly abused Bloom, as one of the worst offenders when that fad briefly blew through.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

LLSix posted:

What's the best way to play System Shock 2 these days?

I remember people being unhappy with the Steam release when it came out, but I don't remember why or if the GOG version is any better.

I last played it 'for real' long before the Steam release, but from what I can tell even in the Steam version you need to manually mod up a lot of stuff. Mostly HD textures, there's a thread in the Steam forum linking to the right stuff. GOG apparently needs the exact same treatment too.

It's probably safe to buy it on either platform, fire it up to make sure it works, then immediately go grab all the texture mod stuff. Note that this is recommended even for your first playthrough: SS2 was an ugly game even in its day, the devs having chosen low hardware reqs over decent textures/polycounts.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Kins posted:

Also, Big Picture Mode has been replaced with the Steam Deck interface.

Not that I ever used Big Picture mode, but outa curiosity I fired it up now and had a jolly laugh that Steam Deck mode runs at 2 fps on Linux.

Irony

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Commander Keene posted:

Hell, the original Baldur's Gate forced you to roll for stats and didn't let you pick which stat you put which roll in, so it could take some time to get a set of rolls suitable for the class you're aiming for. Game, while it's not bad for my mage to have 16 Strength and 15 Constitution, but I would like higher than a 12 for his Intelligence!

What would be the ideal way of handling this, outside of point-buy? (Which encourages excessive min-maxing and analysis paralysis during char creation, see: Fallout) Maybe something where you played a tutorial level stat-free and at the end of it revealed your stats, which are tied to your seed when you started (so you can't scum) and then auto-corrected into the class you chose? That'd probably make a lot of nerds angry, lol

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

i dont really want to do the research for this but is The Citadel that FPS where the artist used guro art for the corpses? i want to avoid poo poo like that and i know it was either talked about here or in the early fps thread.

i'm thinking The Council, Aquarist, and Minute of Islands for myself. i've heard Spirit of the Island is kind of disappointing and not really finished

Yup that's Citadel. I assume if you don't 'pick' a given title, its dev gets no money from the purchase?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Whelp, someone took bloodstained. Shame, thanks for the offers!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Anno posted:

KEH5E-A0AZ8-FM7FK - Fort Triumph

Took this one, thank you!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kids don't give a gently caress about that magical fascist.

Didn't realize we where in the 'magical opposite reality' thread. I've seen tons of kids in the 9+ range who absolutely devour the books. Much like Disney, just because there are maladjusted adults making a fandom about it doesn't mean that kids don't love it either.

The game being potentially lovely has nothing to do with any of that, big budget productions make lovely videogame adaptations of all sorts of IPs. Hell, sometimes they make lovely videogame adapatations of actually good video games!

edit:

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t even understand what this dumbass tweet is trying to say.
I think it's them saying that the equipment screen seems like a lovely low-hanging fruit, common-denominator way of making a game. I recall Bioshock:Infinite had one too (in a game that had no reason to have one), typically a classic sign of design-by-the-numbers.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 4, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Anno posted:

TQHWC-38B2D-0EN48 - Deathloop

Took the Deathloop, thank you again!

(How on earth are you getting so many expensive game keys just lying around?)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"'dozens" of different currencies?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jack Trades posted:

There's at least a dozen currencies.

Ingame currency:
-Obol
Metaprog Currencies:
-Darkness
-Gems
-Keys
-Diamonds
-Titan Blood
Dialogue Currencies:
-Nectar
-Ambrosia

That's eight. I feel the two of us have had this same conversation several times in this very thread, there's no need to fabricate grievances if you didn't like the game.

edit: fwiw there *are* far too many unlock currencies, but there's no need to exaggerate

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 6, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I said come in! posted:

Last night I finished Homeworld 1 for the first time ever. I loved it so much, the story, music (ESPECIALLY THE MUSIC), and now its time to play Homeworld 2.

HW2 (only play the remastered btw) had a few questionable decisions in their choice of mechanics, but most of that gets brushed aside because the maps/missions are generally quite decent. The storytelling however is pants, you're advised not to listen to a word of their gibberish.

I've played a few RTS games in the past year or so, and all sorts of sins or virtues get forgotten just by the simple metric of "Is this mission fun?" during single player. So it's a real mixed bag!

Oh and btw after HW2 (and catacylsm, if you can get it working), Deserts of Kharak is a lore-faithful, mood-faithful homage to the OG while doing its own interesting mechanical things. It's wasn't the 'Game of the Year', but it's absolutely worth playing if you enjoyed HW1. I'll also throw out House of the Dying Sun as a obscure indie gem, which mixes Tie Fighter with Homeworld for some very good bite-sized scenario results.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

FutureCop posted:

Despite being based off of a...questionable series...the demo for Grim Guardians Demon Purge is up for Next Fest and provided some classic and solid character-swapping Castlevania 3/Bloodstained Curse of the Moon fun. But if you thought games like Forspoken were a bit too talkative and quippy, then perhaps stay away: the characters are absolute chatterboxes, repeating the same barks for every single action they do and I was getting sick of it fast, haha (and no quip-reducing option in sight unfortunately)

It's also excruciatingly anime / sexualized prepubescent girls, incase anyone else downloads that demo without knowing. Hard pass.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Nancy posted:

sentai pose

I really want to emphasize this, when typing this out addressing non-Japanophile audience, nobody knows what that means. And no, don't tell me either, I don't want to know.

The same thing happened when I was discussing Hades during early access, I made a comment about how I was surprised that a character that was dismissive to the protag all of a sudden changed tack and wanted to bang. Some helpful poster replied with "Well of course, that's a well known anime trope called ____, it was obvious all along!" and... I don't know how to respond to that politely.

------------

edit:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey folks, the game I spent the last three and a half years working on is done! It's called Waves of Steel, and it's a ridiculous build-your-own-warship arcade naval combat game.

It's on sale for $15 for the rest of this week!

That game is not my jam unfortunately, but that is one heck of a sales pitch on the Steam Page; Kickflips? nice.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 7, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You think joe blo down the street is asking about serial numbers? They ain't stealing the Mona Lisa mate, that poo poo moves fast.

vvv edit: Oh drat. I'm just gonna go grab my cane then and yell at some clouds. (also, do they not have an offline mode? probably not. drat clouds.)
edit2: then I suppose it'd be about selling it to the greater sucker, someone like me maybe?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 8, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ugh, not sure why the heck some people think I want to read unskippable pages of their OC video game story (do not steal!). Every second of the demo that you stall me from being able to play the game is a second closer to me alt-f4'ing and just moving on to the next demo.

Some real fuckin' mixed bags in the demo-fest, are these new devs too young to have played demos themselves as kids?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You could also just not play the game, and go spend your money on stuff you like instead. There's like, no shortage of new shooters nowadays.

I loved Doom'16, but I also still love Doom2 and wasn't a fan of the QTE stuff in '16, so I passed on Eternal. I bought DUSK and WRATH instead, no regrets.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't own VR, but since everyone's talking about spaceship games in order to enjoy it I'll mention again House of the Dying Sun, which was great fun and apparently explicitly coded with VR in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This acid cube was meant as a joke. It now has more kills than a majority of my traps, because people keep doing this:

Never underestimate the compulsion to destroy an already-spent trap.

I can see you're really enjoying a new game and all, but even after reading all your posts about it I still have no bloody idea what that game is and what's going on in the screenshots. Which is ok.