Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Steam is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Xander77 gifted me REDIRECTION, a challenging puzzle game where you place objects to move automated robots to their escape route, which is color coded to the robot. The two colored robots always move in the opposite direction than the other when it hits something in its path. They either all escape or you rewind to the beginning and move things around and change their spawn timers. You can manually control time by fast forward or restarting at any point. I like games that respect my time and there was a ton of rewinds and fast forward. The puzzles themselves had changing platforms, door locks, conveyor belts, etc., with deadly terrain. There are a couple dozen puzzles and some unlockables of 40 year old games. You can import or create your own puzzles if you want.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Metal Gear games and the US Metal Gear games are very rough. Instead of colored keys to colored doors, you have numbered keycards and plenty of inventory swapping all the time. You might enjoy if you like to play slow games and methodically advancing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
People got real mad they couldn't get yet another Kojima movie with gameplay and it included creepy, screamy things that no one would ever buy these days, until...

They made Survive much easier over time and you are wasting time fighting anything at the start since upgrades are progress gated. Still a lot of fun for a zombie game and the co-op stuff was great too if uneven in dealing out rewards.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 16, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Serephina posted:

That sounds like a terrible game all around. I know you guys are reminiscing about it, but seriously.
You can say the same for Earth Defense Force. In some of the games, you have to beat all missions to unlock the higher difficulties and its super weapons that nuke the battlefield and kill the team within seconds. EDF6 is 150 missions and you are spending about 30+ hours going through the game.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 16, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is 30 guns and bows, with a couple dozen other weapons. Several grenades too. Many other structures you can make to block off, walk on, distract, etc.
You also have ways of fighting enemies with button prompts and depending on which enemies you fight, letting you do cool things to them.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 17, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The 7th Guest posted:

i think the game Kill It With Fire exists primarily for people who hate spiders
Earth Defense Force takes it to the next level.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It requires some work, but is perfectly serviceable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

RandomBlue posted:

you sure you don't mean roguelike?
Looks like a First Person Sworder.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Interesting checklist this boss has.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Kins posted:

We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie resurrects the PS2 classic with an extra set of five or so stages where you play as the young King of Cosmos, and the ability to take selfies because it's the 2020s. It'll be out June 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-KGt6Yido0
Pre-ordering it immediately.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Soul Glo posted:

The guy who heals from all wounds doesn’t need armor :colbert:
His armor is literally his skeleton, or rather, his flesh is his skeleton's armor.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

sebmojo posted:

Was god a dot
Waiting for Godot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jossar posted:

Spring (Sale) Cleaning - March 2nd

DEMO - Empires of the Undergrowth, aka Ants: The RTS. People are complaining about how the devs are slow to release updates, but I can't parse how much of that is fair versus the usual Steam comment section whining. Seemed a little slow/clunky when I played it, although I think they admit that's been changed in the full game. If you like the subject matter and aren't worried about the perils of a very long early access it seems worth investigating.
Empires of the Undergrowth seems to be the successor to Sim Ant. It has the expected war between your species of ant versus other/s, along with many kinds of hostile hazards/predators both above and underground, with sizes as small as ants to monsters dwarfing the laser spider. There are many kinds of species of ant with their own tech trees and way of living. Species of leaf cutters that grow fungus, slavers, aphid ranchers, not all eat-what-they-kill types. You mold your colony by designating where you want the nurseries, food storage, queen's chamber, etc. Those also can be upgraded to be more efficient. Your food supplies and barrack space limits the size of your colony and replacement units. Each ant takes a certain amount of food to grow and replace.

It has an RPG element of upgrading various aspects of your colony, giving ants extra powers to their attacks or increasing their stats. Queens can get boosts that include growing massive ants that serve as royal guards or sudden nursery growth. Kind of how Starcraft 2 does its upgrades, but not based on unit kills. Multiple difficulty options.
There are many modes to play in besides 1v1 including: Survival against endless hordes, free play with features you see in other RTS games, scenarios like was introduced in the SNES Sim Ant, your personal colony that grows over time and faces challenges introduced by a jerk narrator.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

KNR posted:

People who use SAM (outside something like tf2 or killing floor tying grindable unlocks to achievements) or do poo poo like play ironman achievements with one hand on alt-f4 genuinely baffle me. It's a completely meaningless internet gold star sticker for doing a thing. The only person who'll ever care is yourself, and you'll know you didn't actually do the thing.
SAM tells steam you are playing a game without downloading the game and idling for cards.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nemesenpai

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Yoshi's Safari gave him a bazooka.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Definitely go with 4.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ShadowMar posted:

do you like fighting enemies with hyper inflated HP values and nearly endless hyper armor because thats what xenoverse 2 and kakarot are like

wait for bt4
Xenoverse 1 has the terrible hyper armor and lovely level system grindathon, while Xenoverse 2 is much better in every way and still gets updates instead of a sequel.

Omi no Kami posted:

I dusted off Budokai Tenkaichi 3 recently, and it reminded me that while I'm not a fighting game guy, I love running around with dumb dragonball characters hurling lasers at each other. Are either Xenoverse 2 or Kakarot remotely like the PS2 arena brawlers, or should I just wait for BT4?
Xenoverse 2 is more open ended than the more pure fighting games like FighterZ/BT, but not as open and simplified as Kakarot. You have a massive hub world with multiple ecosystems and have tons of campaigns/side missions depending on which create-a-character you are using. You can mix and match pretty much everyone's attacks, clothes, and pose/transformations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mierenneuker posted:

If you to shove all the ranged assassin orc captains with "No Chance" you've recruited in one stronghold to piss off people doing an online raids.

Yeah, for that one specific scenario it is mildly annoying.

Edit: I posted this on the toilet. It is rather obvious in hindsight.
I had all bards at one stronghold, so anyone loving with me will have to spend five minutes waiting to do stuff. I won't value your time at all.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Velocity Raptor posted:

Recommendation, if you're thinking on bumping it up to Gravewalker, just do Brutal difficulty instead. Gravewalker greatly increases the enemy health and damage, but leaves yours the same, making the game very tedious.

If you up it to Brutal, the enemies are buffed like in Gravewalker, but your damage is increased comparably, making fights difficult, but not tedious. I really enjoy playing at that difficulty as you really need to take advantage of your allies strengths, and exploit your enemies' weaknesses. It really feels like you're plotting against every oruk that you need to take down, since they'll have many strengths and very few weaknesses (with only one if any mortal weakness). You'll still die in two hits, so you'll experience the nemesis system in all it's glory, but you'll feel badass when you form a plan to take down a bastard that had been hounding you, and it just works.

E: as an aside, you don't have to restart the game (unless you want to) - you can change the difficulty at any time in the options menu.
I was making the game very difficult for myself because I somehow forgot one or two moves that would have really made the game easier and less of a slog. I turned down the difficulty to the easiest during that Nemesis fight since I died almost immediately. I made him too good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can change difficulty on the fly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet it is called Humongous because of Mad Max.

The sizes are probably related to its graphics. I forgot if it simply not loads extra features.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Deakul posted:

That's remarkably about how I remember feeling actually, Doom 2016 totally ruined nu-Wolf for me but I've recently played through The Old Blood and was surprised at how much I dug it up until the wicked dumb boss fight.

Well, we'll see how I feel about it these days now that it's been a minute since I've played 2016 and Wolfenstein's more fresh in my mind, can't wait for daddy issues and wheelchair shootout.

gently caress I wish Wolf '09 was still on Steam. :sigh:
Wolf 09 somehow corrupted every single save I made right near the end, so I couldn't fight the last boss.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Never heard of Nintendo being referred to as "big N" before. I stopped using their console after the SNES years.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FutureCop posted:

Earth Defense Force 5 - Super fun bug blasting fun, especially in coop, which was the case for me! It didn't have the greatest initial impression as it can start out painfully slow for certain classes (Air Raider) and the levels can get really repetitive at times both in that they recycle similar situations and it feels way too easy for way too long. However, the game gives you tons of fun tools to blow up bugs in crazy elaborate ways to keep you hooked, the story and characters are hilarious to witness, and the endgame levels really kick up the intensity in a way that we found ourselves really having to focus and even strategize. EDF! EDF! I find myself really wanting to play more so I'm looking at Iron Rain and World Brothers, but feel conflicted with the mixed reviews: any opinions?
Iron Rain missed the point of EDF and is more of a clone. Insect Armageddon is more like EDF than that. You buy weapon and armor tier upgrades with multiple resources you find in missions and can buy stuff with real money to get those resources immediately. Armor is capped at 10000 no matter what and classes influence several things beyond the weapons you can pick. You bring a bunch of items on some point system that cost resources and some of them penalizes your mission rewards. Enemies inflict status effects. You can leave the map and the game gets mad about it. Maps are also smallish compared to real EDF games.
Not sure if they fixed the connection problems as well. Avoid.

World Brothers is more EDF. I can't find a problem with that. They brought back enemies that were not around in EDF5.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

kazil posted:

Controversial opinion: Elden Ring and Vampire Survivors are both good games.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Not possible. There can only be one good game at a time.
They take turns.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Hedgehog is dead?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cantorsdust posted:

Elona (Plus (Custom (GX)))

Whew. Okay so Elona (Eternal Leagues of Nefia) was a Japanese roguelike built by one guy on this weird branch of BASIC called Hot Soup Processor (HSP). HSP is open source and simple to understand, so it became very easy to mod. The most popular mod for Elona became Elona+, a large expansion to the storyline. Elona+Custom translated (most) of Elona+ into English along with making various gameplay tweaks. And now Elona+CustomGX is now the most modern, most functioning, and most fun-tweaked version of Elona for English audiences. So just get ElonaPlusCustomGX if you're starting Elona.

I think of Elona as an "open world" roguelike. It has a large overworld with multiple dungeons to visit and a very loose (and hard to understand in English) main plot that you can pursue at your own pace.

In between dungeons, buy a house and fill it with furniture, run a store, harvest crops for farmers, run a ranch, raise a bewildering array of pets to fight with you, perform at the tavern, enchant your gear, offer prayer and sacrifice to gods to get their blessings, run a museum and display your old gear, or buy and manage your own dungeons.

Elona is a little bit more of a make your own fun sort of game. There's lots of room for gamebreaking stats and combinations, particularly with pets, but it takes a certain amount of system mastery and grinding to get there.
The superior custom stuff has not been updated for a few versions and I am still waiting on this new one. The last update was a couple versions back. If you don't use CGX, you get a tiny viewing screen with massive tiles, compared to using your monitor resolution and seeing entire maps on the screen without scrolling.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The 7th Guest posted:

are these for games that don't have demos or something? most of my indie game discovery is through playing demos first

this i sort of get though because (Name of job) Simulator games are notorious for being unfinished or buggy, especially everything by PlayWay S.A. some of them do have demos though and it's pretty easy for me to tell what kind of rush job a game is gonna be based on a demo build
The only exception is Thief Simulator. It is still getting updates and just came out with paid DLC of more buildings to rob. They also add an occasional freebie building to loot. You can also rob houses during Christmas and steal presents. One for Halloween as well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is a 0451 genre.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gamerofthegame posted:

actually basically, yes.

no shoot outs tho
Car chases?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FishMcCool posted:

It's all fun and games until one of them starts shooting a laser beam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEBAjqjfQQU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I heard you shouldn't toss out house spiders since they adapted to living in the house and won't survive being outside. I'd put them in the garage and have them duke it out with the other spiders since they are cannibals.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

explosivo posted:

This is crazy to me, I can't recall any game doing this before. Just screams of "we ran out of time"
Shining Force 2 had the witch in the opening say "oops, your save is gone", while the music that plays when Zeon is attacking plays at higher volume.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PowerBeard posted:

Missed oppertunity, was the Furred Reich already taken?
That's the sequel.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

HopperUK posted:

I get that totally. I kinda like it being slow but yeah - there's a snappier version that could exist.

I've been enjoying Warriors of the Nile 2 - do the Disgaea games play anything like that? Tactical turnbased thing? I haven't played much of that kind of game before and I already own some Disgaeas from bundles and such.
It looks like Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are more like it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can go for a remake of that 3D Realms Anthology Pack with those Muri changes. Just can't stand the tiny screen space of them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Far Cry 6 is pretty drat big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think the upcoming Starship Troopers game will be out tomorrow.