Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Frog Act posted:

This is kind of a frustrating hobby, I love these books so much but they’re absurdly difficult to find and prohibitively expensive

poo poo, I tried getting some Adventure Time comics as Xmas gifts and those are out of print. It sucks how quickly most of this stuff disappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's a big part of why I'm more or less full digital now, good luck finding some obscure 90s licensed comic in print somewhere. I'll still buy physical stuff if it's something really good that I want as a collected thing, but if it's just to read digital is the way to go

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, my full bookshelves are why I'm mostly digital now. :roflolmao:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I do lots of reading online via free sites with a nice thorough adblock going but for real faves there’s something distinctively nice about having a physical copy I know won’t suddenly vanish one day. It’s probably also partially a function of largely enjoying relatively niche stuff, Eurocomics and the like, which are sometimes even hard to find in a digital format

I’m generally baffled by the industry and how poor the stewardship of these companies is re: keeping things alive and accessible. One of my top favorites are the Warhammer Monthly comics from the 90s and they’re not just OOP, but not available digitally at all, with no plans to reprint or collect them because Games Workshop hates its customers. Similarly Corto Maltese is impossible to find, 2000ad never seems to reprint things, and Heavy Metal as a company seems to be like three guys running entirely on fumes at this point, a depressing contrast to the huge numbers of print books I see they had on offer according to their ads from the 80s/90s

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Is IDW/Eurocomics not printing Corto Maltese anymore?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Nope, I got really lucky and found four at my local shop, snagged the last copies of another few on Amazon at cover price or very close to it, then picked up The Ethiopian and The Celts for semi-reasonable prices on ebay, but the remaining ones are all absurdly expensive in any format, it seems, like 3-4x the cover price which is just too much for my blood

Similarly my most lusted after item, the second Nemesis the Warlock collection, only has one copy online for a whopping $180 when it’s $20 on the 2000ad store (when available). I got the three books it collects in 80s Titan prints TPBs for $25-$40 each and they’re on the way now, but I’m pretty sure they’re missing a few of the extra progs the collection has

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

drat, that sucks. I'm glad I filled out my collection when I did.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The vague talk of a Corto Maltese show has me hopeful they’ll be reprinted soon. I also really hope Ernie Pike gets the same treatment, because like most Pratt / Oesterheld, it’s only available in German or Spanish despite being described by pretty much everyone as a seminal antiwar comic and generally foundational in the world of 20th century adventure stories that aren’t shockingly racist

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Any highlight runs from DC/Marvel from the past year?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Nope, I got really lucky and found four at my local shop, snagged the last copies of another few on Amazon at cover price or very close to it, then picked up The Ethiopian and The Celts for semi-reasonable prices on ebay, but the remaining ones are all absurdly expensive in any format, it seems, like 3-4x the cover price which is just too much for my blood

Similarly my most lusted after item, the second Nemesis the Warlock collection, only has one copy online for a whopping $180 when it’s $20 on the 2000ad store (when available). I got the three books it collects in 80s Titan prints TPBs for $25-$40 each and they’re on the way now, but I’m pretty sure they’re missing a few of the extra progs the collection has

The microscopic print runs for everything are not a serious problem. You're either plugged in and getting things when they come out or they're just gone forever. At least something like Nemesis will be reprinted someday; it's too significant not to get another reprint. It's just that day may be 10 years off... A lot of other things will just never be available again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Roth posted:

I'm super happy I was told to read Defenders and Defenders Beyond.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Roth posted:

Moon Knight and X-Men: Red were my favourite Marvel comics last year. The X-Men comics are really good in general at the moment.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Uthor posted:

I'm super happy I was told to read Defenders and Defenders Beyond.

I think I dipped when those were starting. The Al Ewing books? Always a good time with him writing.

JordanKai posted:

Moon Knight and X-Men: Red were my favourite Marvel comics last year. The X-Men comics are really good in general at the moment.

Of course and Jed McKay books need to be read to support a fellow goon. X-Men was in a prerty good state when I fell off. Might resub to Marvel Unlimited and read through the whole line.

Any good DC runs? My preference ultimately lies with them so disappointed if they've been largely mid.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

Flash, superman, and Batman main books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Batman, Nightwing, Worlds Finest.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roth posted:

Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo's Nightwing
Chip Zdarsky and Marco Checchetto's Daredevil and Devil's Reign miniseries
Tom King and Greg Smallwood's Human Target

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Got done reading Kate Beaton's new book, "Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands" and it is very good but it does deal with some pretty heavy subject matter.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I started reading Danger Street because I liked King’s work on other things but this series is a lot to take in. Anyone have better opinions about this series?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Started my Silver Surfer tattoo today

https://www.instagram.com/rickhrenchuk/

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
that's gonna be nice

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Frog Act posted:

The vague talk of a Corto Maltese show has me hopeful they’ll be reprinted soon. I also really hope Ernie Pike gets the same treatment, because like most Pratt / Oesterheld, it’s only available in German or Spanish despite being described by pretty much everyone as a seminal antiwar comic and generally foundational in the world of 20th century adventure stories that aren’t shockingly racist

If you want to have a physical copy (but in spanish, then you can read the comic online...some other way), try Ebay for "Biblioteca clarín del comic). They're small trades published by argentinian newspaper Clarin, and among the comics collected, ther's Eternauta (1 AND 2, which is hella hard to find), Ernie Pike, Corto Maltese, etc. You could also search for "Cofre Corto Maltese", a colection from a few years ago of cheap, small re-prints of all the Pratt Corto comics. Both of these shouldn't cost and arm and a leg.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Are they printing the new Corto comics by Juan Diaz Canales (Blacksad) and Rubén Pellejero?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

No idea, I haven't checked in with the imprint since I finished my Corto collection a couple years ago.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vincent posted:

If you want to have a physical copy (but in spanish, then you can read the comic online...some other way), try Ebay for "Biblioteca clarín del comic). They're small trades published by argentinian newspaper Clarin, and among the comics collected, ther's Eternauta (1 AND 2, which is hella hard to find), Ernie Pike, Corto Maltese, etc. You could also search for "Cofre Corto Maltese", a colection from a few years ago of cheap, small re-prints of all the Pratt Corto comics. Both of these shouldn't cost and arm and a leg.

Thanks! I really appreciate the tip - unfortunately (unlike Corto) I am a parochial untraveled monoglot so it's only really worth getting them in English for me. I suppose I can technically read Spanish after over a decade of middle/high/undergraduate lessons, but Pratt's dialogue is so good I always feel like it deserves to be read in as legible a form as possible. I might ultimately end up getting some of those though, it's absurdly hard to find them in English and downright impossible to find Ernie Pike. But yeah, I read almost everything via the...other way before I buy it, but CM is the only one I love so much I want to read it all in physical format first since I feel like it allows me to really come to grips with the material. I just got a copy of The Celts shipped all the way from Australia and a copy of In Ethiopia (with it's 80s title, In Africa) from Canada, which were both more expensive than they should be, and I'm waiting on a copy of The Windy Isles, which leaves only the Secret of the Rose and the Golden House of Samarkand for me to eventually collect.

Unrelated, I've been really, really enjoying the old Dark Horse Aliens/Predator stuff, enough that I bought all three Aliens Original Years omnibuses, the Predator Omnibus, and the recent collection of the first two AvP storylines for far, far too much money. I'm just wondering if anyone in here knows how I can discern whether they'll ever do an AvP: The Original Years - the fandom wiki says they will but I can't find anything to back that up. It's pretty astonishing how quickly the quality dropped after the Marvel purchase, I tried to read the more recent Aliens comics and they were just insipid garbage in contrast with the relatively high-concept and at least thoughtful stuff from DH in the late 80s-early 90s.

Also I mentioned this earlier, but I've been getting really into Slaine by Pat Mills and haven't been able to find a couple books. After a big fiasco with 2000ad where they repeatedly told me a book was on the way only to be informed a month later it was actually never in stock at all, the customer support guy there told me they'd be reprinting Slaine - all of it, apparently - sometime this year for the 40th anniversary. Slaine up to the Horned God might be my second favorite comic after Corto Maltese, and the stuff after it is still great, so idk if anyone else is interested but there's probably gonna be an expensive/beautiful omnibus this year. If only they'd do the same for Nemesis...

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Got done reading Kate Beaton's new book, "Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands" and it is very good but it does deal with some pretty heavy subject matter.

I just got done reading it too, and yeah. It’s great but I definitely needed a good cry and a hug afterward.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Against my better judgement I read Nemesis Reloaded and.... ugh, Millar got me with that last page. I know I'll disappointed, but I kind of want to see where this goes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hey folks! I’ve got a kind of a weird question. I can’t go into too much detail because it’s kind of confidential but the long and short of it is my store is going to try to move more Image comics soon.

The assistant manager asked me if I had any ideas on what we should make sure to have on the shelves, but, as I told her, I’m really more of a manga guy. I told her I’d ask around.

So… here I am! Asking you folks! What Image comics should we try to stock up on? Ideally these are comics that someone who’s browsing our comics section would want to get should we be doing any sort of sale.

Here’s the titles we already know we should have:
Invincible
The Walking Dead
Saga

Titles we think might sell:
Monstress
The Wicked and The Divine
Jupiter’s Legacy (I’m not super sure on this one but hey it had a Netflix show)

Are there any notable titles that I’m missing? Should I order Spawn? Do people still care about Spawn in the year of our lord 2023?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
DIE and Once & Future are both Image comics by Wicked + Divine writer Kieron Gillen that I personally enjoyed and were critically acclaimed. Once & Future at the very least was a big enough seller that it was originally a mini that turned into an ongoing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Once & Future is Boom, but yes, it and DIE are aces.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Eight Billion Genies is the book I look forward to the most. However it is 6 issue in on a 8 issue mini series. So at this point I’d tell anyone to get the collection when that comes out in a few months.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I love Matt Fraction's work, but I don't know how much Casanova or ODY-C would move or if you would be able to sell Sex Criminals.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Black Cloak has one issue out but I think it may be a big one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spawn had their big relaunch recently, how’s new Spawn going?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Adventureman by Fraction and the a
Dodsons is one of the prettiest and most fun comics out right now. The first nine issues are collected in two gorgeously designed slightly oversized hardcovers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Monstress

maybe if you sell The Black Monday Murders Hickman will finally get around to finishing it

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Department of Truth
Blood Stain Teeth
Killadelphia
If you are doing back issues then:
Paper Girls
Walking Dead
Wytches
Bitch Planet
Sex Criminals

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I am unfortunately unable to order Sex Criminals. It’s not available at the warehouse my store orders from.

We already have Paper Girls on the shelves, thanks to the Amazon series. Nothing gets a book reprinted like an adaptation

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 15, 2023

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Random long shot:

There's a Spider-Man comic from the '90s, possibly the early '90s, where he sees an ambulance that's caught in a traffic jam, and frees it up to move by picking up another nearby car. The driver of that car promptly cusses Spider-Man out, because he put the car right back down where it was, so the guy's still caught in traffic.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

Random long shot:

There's a Spider-Man comic from the '90s, possibly the early '90s, where he sees an ambulance that's caught in a traffic jam, and frees it up to move by picking up another nearby car. The driver of that car promptly cusses Spider-Man out, because he put the car right back down where it was, so the guy's still caught in traffic.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

I've seen the panels around and the guy looked like a pastiche of Trump. Not sure where it is from though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

She-Hulk just recently did the same thing with an ambulance stuck in traffic. I think Spider-Man's done it a few times. There's a really old one where he helps out an ambulance but it turns out it was stolen and they start shooting at him. Probably thought twice about it after that one.