Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangfort
Nov 8, 2023
League of Comic Geeks doesn't let you record the date you read something like letterboxd does for films you watch, but you can mark something as read and leave a rating/review and make custom lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's finally coming out
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/alan-moores-moon-and-serpent-bumper-book-of-magic-for-october/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Aw, there's yer man Paul Neary gone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I found out they stopped publishing Heavy Metal last year. :( I can't help but feel like it's my fault because I didn't buy it. But I really liked knowing it still existed!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Gripweed posted:

I found out they stopped publishing Heavy Metal last year. :( I can't help but feel like it's my fault because I didn't buy it. But I really liked knowing it still existed!

didn't Grant Morrison take over as editor in chief or something for a bit? how was their tenure?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like this can be the sad news thread too often.

Ramona Fradon passed away today. I don't know if there's any golden age artists left with her passing...

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like this can be the sad news thread too often.

Ramona Fradon passed away today. I don't know if there's any golden age artists left with her passing...

There are a few:

Jack Katz is still going; his first published work appeared in 1943.

The first work by Larry Lieber appeared in the early 1950s, though I think he was working in the business in the '40s.

Bob Bolling and Angelo Torres both got started in the early '50s.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there ever going to be a second volume of Ultramega?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do we have a thread for Groo / Sergio Aragones?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I feel like there was but like a decade ago or something. long in the past

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:justpost: but idk if Groo will support a whole thread

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'll dig through the archives then, thanks. I don't have much to say, just looking to do some reading.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

B33rChiller posted:

I'll dig through the archives then, thanks. I don't have much to say, just looking to do some reading.

There's the indie comic thread or just here if you don't want to make your own thread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember an issue of Groo where foreign-language speech was just the same word repeated in different languages. Probably wouldn't've noticed except they had some person saying "djup syvä" - or probably "djup syva". I wonder if the technique was used more than once? (I only own three issues of Groo.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saw someone asking if anyone had the full six-volume set of The Boys paperbacks for sale, in a Facebook group. Since I have them all, have read them all, and they're utter dogshit, I clicked on the guy's profile (to see if he was likely to be a con man) and... he had a "I SUPPORT DOMESTIC PEAT PRODUCTION" 'banner' (or whatever they're called) on his profile pic. This is kinda a red flag so I took a look at the other pics. Guy's a member and candidate of the literal Nazi party. I wonder who he'd think the good guys in the books are :thunk:

(Didn't sell, of course.)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid to ask, but what does domestic peat production mean? Because that would not have alerted me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I'm afraid to ask, but what does domestic peat production mean? Because that would not have alerted me.

Yeah but you're foreign.

Anyway it just means destroying the environment for short-term gains for capitalists, because people who aren't Nazis don't want to do that. It's basically (in a very straightforward manner) having a "WE <3 OIL" sticker, but we don't have oil.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm at Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle. Noah Van Sciever has a booth here, and I'm not going g to do it, but there's a real temptation to ask him what the hell is wrong with his brother.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

I'm at Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle. Noah Van Sciever has a booth here, and I'm not going g to do it, but there's a real temptation to ask him what the hell is wrong with his brother.

Hope it's a good con. I used to go every year until....2017. Then the last time I went in 2019 it just didn't seem to have the same joy but that might just have been me getting older.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember an issue of Groo where foreign-language speech was just the same word repeated in different languages. Probably wouldn't've noticed except they had some person saying "djup syvä" - or probably "djup syva". I wonder if the technique was used more than once? (I only own three issues of Groo.)
It's a series I remember borrowing issues of from friends in the 4th grade, and having a good laugh. Then decades later, I stumble my way back into reading comics, and learn that it's still going. I saw some yt vids on Sergio Aragones, and learned that Groo is supposedly the longest running creator owned comic book. And that Aragones provided delightful drawings for drat near the entire print run of Mad Magazine.
He seems like a delightful guy, judging from little interview snippets. I get the vibe of the kind of person who brightens people's mood whenever he's around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

It's a series I remember borrowing issues of from friends in the 4th grade, and having a good laugh. Then decades later, I stumble my way back into reading comics, and learn that it's still going. I saw some yt vids on Sergio Aragones, and learned that Groo is supposedly the longest running creator owned comic book. And that Aragones provided delightful drawings for drat near the entire print run of Mad Magazine.
He seems like a delightful guy, judging from little interview snippets. I get the vibe of the kind of person who brightens people's mood whenever he's around.

Well you can't judge an artist by his works but he certainly did good for dang decades without malice.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Wanderer posted:

From everything I remember, Noah's pretty cool and good and doesn't have any loving clue what's going on with his brother either.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well you can't judge an artist by his works but he certainly did good for dang decades without malice.

Counterpoint: Sergio Aragones killed Marty Feldman. And he admits it, too.

https://thehefner.dreamwidth.org/321888.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably deserved it tbh

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Endless Mike posted:

Probably deserved it tbh

Marty's fault for giving him side eye

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

B33rChiller posted:

Do we have a thread for Groo / Sergio Aragones?

Groo and Aragones are both absolute delights. I have pretty much the whole run in my basement, I'm 50/50 on whether reading it now would be better than I remember or worse.

I met Aragones at a con once and told him Groo made me the person I am today. He looked slightly worried, I shouldn't have said that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Madkal posted:

Hope it's a good con. I used to go every year until....2017. Then the last time I went in 2019 it just didn't seem to have the same joy but that might just have been me getting older.

This year's better than the last couple I've been to, because they considerately consigned all the star-fucker celebrity stuff to the old Arch building so the rest of us don't have to deal with it. All the stuff you actually go to a comic book convention for is in the new Summit center.

Even so, Popverse cons are always so scattershot that it's hard to feel like it's got any real sense of identity. It's comic books, and anime, and manga, and some video games, and a lot of tabletop, and foam weapon fighting, and the local Star Wars nerds, and--

I did get to meet Zdarsky, though.

RevKrule posted:

From everything I remember, Noah's pretty cool and good and doesn't have any loving clue what's going on with his brother either.

Yeah, I've never heard a negative word about Noah Van Sciver at all. Apparently he's helping with some kind of local indie-comics event tonight in Seattle, a Fantagraphics gallery show or something.

I was really airing the temptation to get it out of my head. I've found it makes it easier to ignore.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Sergio Aragones has a rep as pretty swell dude. I walked by his table at a con once and stopped to take a look, and he was very nice.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Did I ever tell you about the time Aragones took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can't find one. Finally Aragones takes me to a vacant lot and says, 'Here we are.' We sat there for a year and a half and sure enough someone constructs a bar around us. The day they opened we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burned the place to the ground. Aragones yelled over the roar of the flames, 'Always leave things the way you found em!'

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Covid gave us an at home comic con, with a panel by the folks behind Groo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbwJ_MT9cnw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm reading Gail Simone's run of Wonder Woman on DC Unlimited and it was obviously digitized there was stuff like DC Unlimited because there's an ad for the trade paperbacks of her run at the end of every issue.

It features a pull quote from Ethan Van Scriver.
"The most fascinating Wonder Woman Stories to come along in decades."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Seems like Neil Gaiman is selling some stuff.

https://comics.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=7364&ic=breadcrumb-comics-121913-interior

The most active piece in the auction:
https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-...humbnail-112917

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's one of the most iconic pages in comic book history, so it's not a surprise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They keep doing these kickstarters for new volumes of Lady Death. They’re like 25 volumes in now, it feels way too late to get in on the series.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 17, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Comic books are 5 bucks now? What the gently caress?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
6 with some Marvel titles; Predator v Logan and now the new Alien mini.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
G. O. D. S. #1 was :10bux:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uthor posted:

G. O. D. S. #1 was :10bux:

That was also three times the size of a normal issue. So on a per page basis it was actually a bit discounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
was only worth maybe 4 tho