Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Gripweed posted:

I read the first volume of Witch Hat Atelier. I know "It's like Harry Potter but good!" is a total hack thing but drat it really is like Harry Potter but good. The worldbuilding is super strong, the magic system makes sense, the way the world is magical is whimsical but also really practical, and the separation between witches and regular people is super clearly something the story is going to deal with a lot in the future. Our lead character is a little generic but she has skills of her own from her backstory and she actually maintains her underdog status instead of immediately being given a safe full of gold.

I wanted to read at least the first volume before I jumped into the cooking spinoff but now I think I'm actually gonna read the whole thing.

Unless you're looking for new recipes, Kitchen isn't all that necessary. It really is just recipes buffered by Qifrey and Olruggio making food and the girls enjoying said food.

But yeah, Atelier is excellent. Can't recommend it enough. The best book about artistic growth I've ever read, and it's beautifully drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Minister of Sound posted:

Unless you're looking for new recipes, Kitchen isn't all that necessary. It really is just recipes buffered by Qifrey and Olruggio making food and the girls enjoying said food.

But yeah, Atelier is excellent. Can't recommend it enough. The best book about artistic growth I've ever read, and it's beautifully drawn.

Oh to be clear, Kitchen sounds exactly like what I want. I love comics like that. What Did You Eat Yesterday? is the best gay comic I've ever read. I have been very vocal on my position that Today's Menu for the Emiya Family is the mainline entry in the Fate/Stay: Night franchise and everything else is side stories.

Witch Hat Atelier is merely a happy discovery on my way to reading Witch Hat Atelier Kitchen

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Oh to be clear, Kitchen sounds exactly like what I want. I love comics like that. What Did You Eat Yesterday? is the best gay comic I've ever read. I have been very vocal on my position that Today's Menu for the Emiya Family is the mainline entry in the Fate/Stay: Night franchise and everything else is side stories.

Witch Hat Atelier is merely a happy discovery on my way to reading Witch Hat Atelier Kitchen

Gotcha. Cool! I hope you enjoy it.

Have you tried out Drifting Dragons?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gotcha. Cool! I hope you enjoy it.

Have you tried out Drifting Dragons?

Yes! I'm like 8 volumes in. It's still good, but they've added all this plot stuff like the guy's backstory and the whale exterminators, and I feel like that's drawn a lot of focus from cooking and eating dragon meat.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yes! I'm like 8 volumes in. It's still good, but they've added all this plot stuff like the guy's backstory and the whale exterminators, and I feel like that's drawn a lot of focus from cooking and eating dragon meat.

I'm on volume 15, and I'm afraid those trends continue. More backstories, more worldbuilding, etc. I think it's the best book on the shelves, but I can see why one would be frustrated by the shifting focus.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I'm on volume 15, and I'm afraid those trends continue. More backstories, more worldbuilding, etc. I think it's the best book on the shelves, but I can see why one would be frustrated by the shifting focus.

I need to read the most recent volume but the fight in volume 14 was the closest I’ve ever seen a comic get to an honest to god JRPG boss battle. It ruled

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just did an inventory of all my trades and GNs and after a little bit of weeding got the number down to 540.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm going to have to "weed". I hate the thought of dealing with ebay or whatever to get rid of my stuff, so I think I'm going to put some of the books in the little libraries around town. It'd be worth trying to sell some of the bigger omnis and the like, though.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I reread All-Star Superman (masterpiece, really) but I could have sworn it ended with time looping back around, like Earth becoming a new Krypton or something and sending off their own version of Superman. Am I insane or am I thinking of another comic?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I reread All-Star Superman (masterpiece, really) but I could have sworn it ended with time looping back around, like Earth becoming a new Krypton or something and sending off their own version of Superman. Am I insane or am I thinking of another comic?

Sounds like Red Son.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sounds like Red Son.

That'd be it, thank you!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sounds like Red Son.

Morrison allegedly gave Millar the ending of Red Son, so it’s understandable how someone could be confused.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And I think Morrison got that idea because it was initially one of the ideas for Superman's origin before Siegel and Shuster settled on Krypton.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Happy new year, BSS.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They’re doing a Kickstarter for a new edition of Shi. You guys are old enough to remember Shi, right?

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Man the end of Red Son is cool. I was hooting and hollering reading that the first time.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I think someone in this thread recommended Do A Powerbomb! It rules hard and made me cry so thanks.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I don't know if it was me, but it was probably my favorite series of '23. I also really liked Love, Everlasting but I'm a few months behind on that one.

The Crimson Cage is another wrestling based book from last year I liked. It's a retelling of MacBeth based in the early 80s New Orleans wrestling scene.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lucifunk posted:

I don't know if it was me, but it was probably my favorite series of '23. I also really liked Love, Everlasting but I'm a few months behind on that one.

The Crimson Cage is another wrestling based book from last year I liked. It's a retelling of MacBeth based in the early 80s New Orleans wrestling scene.

I am powering my way through the second Love Everlasting trade and it's a bit of a tearjerker. I'm enjoying the title quite a bit though and will probably get the trades as they come out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My local con just added Gina Carano with about a month to go, over a month since they otherwise finalized the list. Scummy af

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Orlando MegaCon? Yup. I am NOT a fan of FanExpo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Vancouver FanExpo, I remember them pulling the same poo poo with Sorbo in Toronto a couple years ago.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Opopanax posted:

My local con just added Gina Carano with about a month to go, over a month since they otherwise finalized the list. Scummy af

I just saw this. It was gonna be my first con in a while. I generally avoid the celebrity stuff anyway but still not impressed

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Vancouver FanExpo, I remember them pulling the same poo poo with Sorbo in Toronto a couple years ago.

Ever since FanExpo took over Orlando MegaCon, they bring out the same comic guests every year with minimal deviation, but all the budget and marketing goes to big celebrities. Carano was one of the most recent additions:
https://fanexpohq.com/megaconorlando/celebrities/

Even though I usually go to MegaCon anyway, I can't attend this year because my wife is having surgery a few days before it. I would have liked to meet Arthur Adams (again) and Peter Snejbjerg, but I need to be available to her.

But I am hoping to go to this event in a few weeks, the weekend before MegaCon:
https://www.oa-expo.com/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 10, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Carano even a big draw, she hasn't been in Star wars stuff for years and she wasn't in it that much before she got poo poo canned and no one has likely watched the lovely movies she's been doing for Daily Wire's studio.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

Is Carano even a big draw, she hasn't been in Star wars stuff for years and she wasn't in it that much before she got poo poo canned and no one has likely watched the lovely movies she's been doing for Daily Wire's studio.

Legitimately the only people who want to see her nowadays are chuds

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Air Skwirl posted:

Judging from comments on Facebook (I know I know) a lot of people who don't even live near to Vancouver are excited that she will be there. So basically online trolls who weren't going to the event anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Watching Echo and I think to myself "It's cool that a newer Daredevil character has her own series! I remember her first appearance!"

I look it up....the "new" character is almost 25 years old.

I am an old gently caress.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was looking through the miscellaneous M section hoping for a misfiled issue of Marneus Calgar (no luck) but I did find this. What is this, it looks awesome

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Medullah posted:

Watching Echo and I think to myself "It's cool that a newer Daredevil character has her own series! I remember her first appearance!"

I look it up....the "new" character is almost 25 years old.

I am an old gently caress.

Sorry gramps, characters are only "new" if they're from the 2000s. This will continue to be true next year, when they are also 25 years old. :cheers:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I was looking through the miscellaneous M section hoping for a misfiled issue of Marneus Calgar (no luck) but I did find this. What is this, it looks awesome

It's First Publishing's Meta 4, OP

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Jesus, Orlando MegaCon is now hyping the cast of Entourage. It has strayed so far from its roots. Even with Arthur Adams coming, I don't feel bad about missing it this year.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

https://toiletcomix.gumroad.com/l/willie?layout=profile

I got this collection of comix featuring Steamboat Willie the other day. It's magnificent. Sorry this photos kinda dark. If you guys wanna see more of the art I can take some pictures later tonight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

When the gently caress is the next volume of Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu coming out?! Volume 10 came out 2 years ago! Japan is like six volumes ahead! Goddamnit! I’m so loving mad about this!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Gripweed posted:

When the gently caress is the next volume of Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu coming out?! Volume 10 came out 2 years ago! Japan is like six volumes ahead! Goddamnit! I’m so loving mad about this!

Honestly, looking at Udon's site I wonder if they didn't drop it. It's got only nine hits showing up out of ten volumes, with three sold out and volume 9 MIA entirely.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

claw game handjob posted:

Honestly, looking at Udon's site I wonder if they didn't drop it. It's got only nine hits showing up out of ten volumes, with three sold out and volume 9 MIA entirely.

To go that far with the series just to drop it is morally despicable.

Surely Udon is making enough money from Street Fighter Sakura swimsuit cover variants to float a couple cult classic series!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Opopanax posted:

I'm pretty sure someone in booking and social media at fan expo is/are giant chuds. I used to go to Denver Comic Con from before it was bought out and it was a good time and even after I left the state, it was my one "travel to" show. Then they were bought out by fan expo and the show turned to poo poo. I can't remember if it was this past one or the one before that they started adding Carano but my wife asked some questions about it on their social media and got absolutely dressed down and shat on by their social media in response. At that point we both decided to find another show to go to.

We don't seem to have missed much. Every thing I've heard basically indicates they've made the whole show a terrible experience.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm iffy on cons anyways because I don't think there's anyone I'd pay $100 to get a picture with, but we like to wander through the crafts and stuff. We skipped this for the last few years with covid and if I didn't already have travel and stuff booked this would have been enough to get me asking for a refund

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

UwUnabomber posted:

https://toiletcomix.gumroad.com/l/willie?layout=profile

I got this collection of comix featuring Steamboat Willie the other day. It's magnificent. Sorry this photos kinda dark. If you guys wanna see more of the art I can take some pictures later tonight.

From a Ninja Turtles parody from the same publisher. A kids imagination as he plays with the 80s action figures his uncle gave him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jason Aaron is going to be the new Ninja Turtles writer.