Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Once & Future is Boom, but yes, it and DIE are aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Madkal posted:

My wife is reading Sandman for the first time and just finished A Game of You and we were talking about. We're both curious about how the story is received in the Trans community and if it was ever seen as groundbreaking at the time or dated now.

Kinda both. At the time, it was almost unheard of to even have a trans character in anything, let alone as a sympathetic character who was treated by the author as really their chosen gender (gently caress you, moon). And these days there are folks, mostly younger readers who aren't living under the oppressive weight of the AIDS crisis (and thank goodness for that), who appreciate its importance, but also see it as yet another example of "kill your queers".

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The browser version is so janky I downloaded an Android emulator onto my Surface rather than deal with it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

That must have been quite a tonal shift.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The Amazing Charles Christopher resumed updates recently, and Kerschl estimates it has around 50 strips left to go.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The notion of Busiek localizing FFIV instead of Ted Woolsey boggles the mind.

Although like he says, better off we got Marvels.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I don't know who buys them, but they're usually a precursor to releasing the same stuff in paperback and on Marvel Unlimited.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I love Bone but I’d also recommend Jeff Smith’s RASL. Same great cartoony art but a darker sci fi story.

Not for kids, though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

AvesPKS posted:

If there's a better place to ask this question, I apologize in advance. For something like say, Saga of the Swamp Thing 20/21, what's the significance of the difference between direct and newsstand editions? Basically just scarcity, or anything else?

I can't seem to find any references to a direct edition vs newsstand for Miracleman (1985). Was that comic available in both versions, or with some other distribution, or am I thinking about it all wrong?

The newsstand edition would have a UPC code in the little box in the lower left, and the direct market edition would have something else (Marvel liked to put a little picture of Spider-Man). That's about it.

I'm pretty sure Miracleman wasn't sold on newsstands.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

mutantIke posted:

100% done with Invincible. Might be the most shonen thing to come out of American comic bookery. Is anything else from the Invincibleverse worth checking out? I picked up a copy of Brit a while back but it doesn't really seem my speed haha

Guarding the Globe/Invincible Universe was tight.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

X-O posted:

Fabian wrote the first Deadpool mini series. Mark Waid wrote the second one. The second one was a lot more influential on Kelly's ongoing with Deadpool. Introducing the relationship with Siryn and all that. I believe Waid was also the first one to make Deadpool scarred under the mask. Might be misremembering that.

I'm pretty sure the scarring was revealed at the end of the first mini, but Waid was the one who first went into detail about the experiments and stuff.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Sergio Aragones has a rep as pretty swell dude. I walked by his table at a con once and stopped to take a look, and he was very nice.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Yep, the Metrobooks are collecting the whole shebang in order. I think Vol. 5 comes out soon?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think Thomas started in the 1960s but I have no loving clue what he wrote back then.

The big feather in Roy's cap is Avengers. He just knew how to make that book sing.

His Spidey (just a couple issues before Conway took over) and FF... do not sing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The Last Call posted:

There needs to be a lot more beating up nazi's in comics, on TV or in movies.

Especially nowadays.

Some people need a reminder.

JMS's Captain America recently revealed that one of teenage Steve Rogers's pastimes was going to German-American Bund meetings and heckling the speakers. (It's not gratuitous, this actually figures into the plot, but I'd love it no matter the context.)