Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
DIE and Once & Future are both Image comics by Wicked + Divine writer Kieron Gillen that I personally enjoyed and were critically acclaimed. Once & Future at the very least was a big enough seller that it was originally a mini that turned into an ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

drrockso20 posted:

Well apparently Jason Pearson died back in December with it only being announced about an hour ago on his Facebook page, it's a shame cause on the one hand he was incredibly skilled at drawing but on the other his lack of work ethic was legendary even by the incredibly low standards of the American comic book industry

Also kind of pissed cause this means I'm forever screwed out of the 60 bucks I gave him back in 2015 when he did a Kickstarter for a new volume of Body Bags comics and then proceeded to do jack poo poo for it

Not to get too gallows humor, but announcing his death a month late seems way too on the nose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Is there anything kind of like The Boys that wasn't made by perverts?

I don't think people who aren't perverts make things like The Boys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I think if you're a creator who's popular enough for large lines you should limit how much stuff you're signing for any specific individual.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I ordered a copy of the How to Draw Daredevil variant because it's one of my favourite gags, then I'll just grab a trade when I'm there

I love that cover too.

He might also just sign a bunch of trades for the store if there's something you want but isn't in your budget right now. I didn't get to make it to the signing but that's how I ended up with a couple trades from Mike Carey's Hellblazer run with his autograph. That store at least only charged cover price, they were just mixed in with their new trades and obviously there's no authentication, but it's pretty cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think I might actually be excited about a new Bendis book for the first time in a long time.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1632800247872389121?t=pegh44fzRnIeQrHeOKWFSA&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Invisibles was originally published through Vertigo, there's also Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Flex Mentallo, Killing Joke, Year One, and The Incal are the Mt. Rushmore of bad recolors.

at least they went back to the old colors for the Humanoids reissue of The Incal, which looks great. don't think the original colors are in print for any of the other three.

Simonson's Thor for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/1642652518504071173?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

digital comics seem like such a fuckin nightmare. I've got enough storefronts to deal with on top of steam, gently caress all that. for me if I can't get it physically, I'm reading it on readcomiconline, and I can't see that changing though it'd be nice if companies would try. at least Rebellion just gives out DRM free PDFs when you buy digital copies.

Yeah, the only digital comics I own* are from various humble bundles that I can download DRM free.

*That I paid for, I theoretically have a bunch on Amazon from when they gave away a bunch of Black Panther and later Scooby Doo books for free on comixology, no idea if I can still access them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1652395726423617536?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

MJ & Black Cat: Beyond got nominated for best single issue, that's quite nice.

Congrats, I just read that and it was really good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Aaaand, I just bought a $75 Hellblazer hardcover. But it's for a bday gift.

Ennis?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Yeah, thanks for the rec. :cheers: And I put most of the others in my wishlist for future gifts.

Steve Dillon could draw anything you can imagine except a different face.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1078180303825293312?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

James Stokoe did a Godzilla miniseries, so I assume that's good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Because I brought him up I have to show people how Stokoe holds his pen when he's drawing, because it's insane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They cast a guy for the next Superman film and I guess people are saying he's too skinny, which is dumb as poo poo to talk about, he's gonna have a dietician and personal trainer and pharmacist giving him everything he needs to be super jacked by the time they start filming (which is going to be a while since there's a writer's strike and I doubt James Gunn will hire a scab to write it), but it reminded me, I want to see a live action depiction of a Superman who doesn't actually look fit, either super skinny or with a bit of paunch, because the way you look jacked is in addition to diet and some pharmaceuticals, is pushing your body to the point of failure, and Superman would never actually do that very often. Like, before swim suit season does he think "oh I've put on a few pounds, I better go move Mars back and forth a few hours a day"?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Gunn wrote the script himself, and apparently he finished it before the writers' strike.

Also, Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane is one of the all-time best superhero movie casting choices, up there with Reeve, Downey, Evans, Stewart, McKellan, and Jackman. She will be absolutely perfect.

Rewrites will probably be needed and unless he's a scab James Gunn can't do them. I don't have issues with the casting I just want a schlubby Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

I never understood the whole Superman being hugely jackedman thing anyway, he's a loving alien so impossibly strong that he'd probably have to work out for hours using oil tankers or something. A slimmer, 'just' defined version always made more sense to me.

Hell, most of the Mr Universe style physiques are ridiculous. Batman's a ninja, Flash a sprinter, Aquaman a swimmer, none of them need absurd bulk bar the Hulk and maybe Cap and Thor.

I agree with most of these except Aquaman, have you seen photos of Olympic swimmers. Sure Mamoa is bigger than him, but not by a ton.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Swimmers are muscular but not beefy. Very different body type than the current Hollywood action hero

Have you seen Michael Phelps?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I like the Boring-era Superman whose torso looks like a barrel. Not barrel-chested, just a loving barrel altogether.

Too bad the stories are poo poo.

I mean, it's called the Boring-era

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just realized, this would probably be the first San Diego Comic Con that resembled what it was like before Iron Man, since actor's can't do panels without violating the strike, so they probably added a bunch of panels that were about actual comics and not movies based on comics. How many people would go to an Aquaman 2 panel where the only people involved in the movie are maybe the director (DGA are cowards for caving to the AMTPT) and then various producers that no one would recognize the name of?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

An entirely predictable upside to the writers and actors strikes.

https://twitter.com/TheCartelDel/status/1682952323436511233?t=aADxBiTdARMl2ONj7rrqzg&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

I picked up a Spidey comic for the first time in years (What If...? Dark Spider-Gwen) and the cover is by Greg Land.

:negative:

I mean, a Greg Land cover isn't too bad assuming he wasn't also doing the interior art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I need to solicit some input from comics knowers, just out of a general desire to gauge the stupidity of a purchase I intend to make. 2000ad released a really nice hardcover artbook for Kevin O’Neill, who is tied for my favorite artist of all time with Simon Bisley, and it looks loving sick. However, it is extremely expensive and because Rebellion sucks and orders from their website have a minimum shipping of like $35-$50 when you’re ordering proper hardbacks. Anyway there’s a slipcase version with a little bit of extra content for $203 versus $126 for the non-slipcase version. I’ve only really been reading comics for about a year and thus feel like I’m not really informed with regards to projecting value and determining whether something is liable to accumulate it (though I never plan to sell any of this stuff) and I’m especially not really familiar with art books like this. What do posters ITT think? Have any of y’all bought the book I’m talking about and dig it? It’s just so expensive

It's probably cheaper to buy it now than it will be after it's been out of print for a few years, but it's not really an investment vehicle, since an artbook of a specific artist is going to also be harder to find someone else to buy it and is willing to pay a mark-up. If the cost difference doesn't hurt you, might as well go for the one with the extras, but it's really just a matter of how much of a burden it will be on your financials.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I mean yeah I don’t intend to sell it, I’m just always interested in the patterns of costs associated with buying things I want later like how I had to pay a hundred dollars for a Corto Maltese (and nemesis, and ABC warriors) book and want to avoid doing that in the future if I can. I guess I was mostly trying to gauge whether that’s the kind of thing people thing I’d be able to find on the cheap in a few years since art books are generally unfamiliar to me

I would say it's unlikely to ever be cheaper, but I could be wrong. I got the X-Statix omnibus for 30 bucks because apparently no one wanted to buy it at the $110 msrp.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

I'm reading Transformers vs. GI Joe and it's so good, although I'm having trouble following the story and understanding character motivations at times, which really isn't that big of a deal.

Is there anything else out there that is similar to this type of artwork/style? I do have GI Joe and the Transformers queued up to read after this as well.

Also I know Grant Morrison is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it? For reference I also really enjoyed Black Summer, No Hero, and Supergod. I've seen some scans of pages featuring an actual evil Reed Richards that seem like it could be close, but I'm not even sure where that story would be collected.

You'd probably like Ellis' run on The Authority or his Freakangels webcomic, which seems to have had it's website taken down, but there are print versions and me googling it found a way to download it anyways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

On that note, what you say are the top ten character designs in comics? Superman, batman, Spiderman are all right there at the top, any of those could be number 1. What makes a good character design?

I'm just gonna say Spider-Man. Batman and Superman have had constant redesigns (they also did premiere 25ish year earlier than Spider-Man) where Spider-Man's costume has been pretty constant beyond losing the weird armpit webs in the first few years and the times he's worn black.

I'm super (no pun intended) happy DC finally realized the trunks are important to making the Superman costume work. The only Superman costume without the trunks that works is that bit at the start of New 52 where he's wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

For something slightly more modern, Jamie Delano's Captain Marvel costume for Carol Danvers was loving fire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

The original Alan Moore Swamp Thing collection is on sale, I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about that over the years but never read any Swamp Thing stories. I usually don’t like superheroes and have been ambivalent about some of Moore’s work but enjoyed his contributions to American Flagg and enjoyed V for Vendetta well enough fifteen years ago when I was a teenager. What do people itt think of it

Get it, it's a seminal work. It's not really a super hero book (although IIRC super heroes show up in it, especially at the start).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also it features plant sex and psychedelic yams.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I meant McKelvie, not Delano. That was a weird brain fart on my part.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I just finished the part where DC guys show up and it was the most elegant way he could have handled it, I hate those characters broadly but by depicting them as impotent “over people” Moore really undoes a lot of the stuff about their usual framing that annoys me

Let us know how you feel about the first appearance of John Constantine. Because I love your reactions to this stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Usually I get mad when the joker shows up but I actually liked the way the malign influence of the recorporated man was illustrated by the effect it had on the inmates of Arkham. It’s kinda funny going into it this way since I feel it was written like I should know who these people are but I don’t until they’re named explicitly, particularly the mainline superheroes in the space station and the ones they mention from the Titans, who I only know by osmosis.

Had no idea Etrigan was a character before this but I enjoyed that arc a lot. Arcane was obviously the bad guy in a previous arc but I’m not familiar with that story so it’s all a bit vague. I just got through the part where the Observer in space was throwing around power level numbers like 600-800, so I’m excited to see where that goes and who that is

Oh god, Jason Blood was so good in this I actively got annoyed there weren't a ton of comics where he was written like that. Etrigan and Jason Blood are in some other good comics, it's just different.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

And while rhyming became his defining trait, he didn't do the doggerel speech until Moore did it.

And then everyone else did it much, much worse. Unless Etrigan pops up in a Neil Gaiman comic I'm forgetting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

Yeah I was just thinking how much of a pain it must've been for other writers to have to write for him following after Moore.

I'm not a fan of the artist change starting on issue 28.

He's in Kevin Smith's Green Arrow, which is probably the best comic work Smith has done, but that part is loving embarrassing.

If Moore's Etrigan is a Shakespeare sonnet, Smith's is "there once was a man from Nantucket."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I thought it would be like Swamp Thing smashing oil pipelines and feeding poachers to alligators so I never would have anticipated a lengthy swamp thing goes to hell story followed by a bit of a tone shift into tiny aliens exploring earth in a turtle shaped ship

Moore is a huge fan of Pogo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

The best Etrigan stuff other than what's been mentioned is, believe it or not, Ennis. Also Demon Knights was pretty fun

I absolutely believe Ennis could write a good Etrigan, he wrote the best Constantine who Alan Moore created in the same run of Swamp Thing (and I think Moore's version of Jason Blood was like a prototype for Constantine but he realized he couldn't do with a Jack Kirby character what he wanted so he made a new one).

Where did Ennis write Etrigan? I thought I'd read most of his big two comics (Hitman being an embarrassing gap I plan to fix).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FMguru posted:

Never change, Byrne.

Byrne is gonna Byrne.

Is there a collection of his (basically fan fiction) X-Men comics he wrote and drew decades after he left the book that was what he would have done if he had been in charge instead of Claremont? Like I think they were just posted as single images on his blog or message board which is way too much effort for me to hate read, but if they were collected in a pdf or cbr file somewhere I'd be curious about what he would have done different from Claremont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

Matt Ryan's Constantine show was actually pretty decent and had some stories straight from the comics. He also played him on Legends of Tomorrow and in my opinion played him pretty well for "how would John actually handle being in a sitation like this". Pretty sure it's streaming on Max.

Legends of Tomorrow is on Netflix, Constantine (the tv series with Matt Ryan) isn't streaming for free anywhere but you can buy it digitally from Apple or Google or Amazon.