Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
This year I vow to borrow more trades/ogns from the library. Also finally read Taylor's Nightwing run because it should (eventually) be available in softcover. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Department of Truth
Blood Stain Teeth
Killadelphia
If you are doing back issues then:
Paper Girls
Walking Dead
Wytches
Bitch Planet
Sex Criminals

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

Random long shot:

There's a Spider-Man comic from the '90s, possibly the early '90s, where he sees an ambulance that's caught in a traffic jam, and frees it up to move by picking up another nearby car. The driver of that car promptly cusses Spider-Man out, because he put the car right back down where it was, so the guy's still caught in traffic.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

I've seen the panels around and the guy looked like a pastiche of Trump. Not sure where it is from though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

It's his "wife's" face that Fury takes off to reveal she's an LMD.

You would have thought Cap would know something is wrong by the fact that his wife has two right hands.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
From my understanding it was also a big deal because Marvel farmed out those title's artwork to some Image guys (Liefeld, Lee) and it was supposed to be a big deal.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

Linfield got bumped at issue 4. Lee lasted until 6

Liefeld then took his unfinished Captain America stuff back to Image/whatever his studio was and did a "totally not a Captain America " Captain America ripoff

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I have two signed books that I hope would be worth something but don't really care enough to check to see.
Spawn #9 signed by Gaiman with a nice little Copyright symbol put on by Gaiman.
Saga #3 with BKV and Staples' sig (I have number 1 with their sigs too but I have an Alana sketch drawn by Staples on number 3 too).

This has been my humble brag post.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
The only time I have had an artist charge is when they go the first five are free but if you want me to sign 100 comics I'm gonna charge you after the first five.

Claremont charged like five dollars for an autograph a few years back but the money went to some charity. I've never had an artist charge for one or two autographs

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
The worst signing I was at was Mike Alred but that is because he would sign everything and the guy in front of me brought over a hundred items for Alred to sign (I had just one item) waited nearly an hour for him to sign everything for one guy.
Claremont's line went fairly quickly (the five dollar per item thing seems to work)
Mitch Gerard signed five items for free and like five dollars per item after that.
When I saw Gaiman he was doing promo for Anansi Boys and they said there was a four book limit so I got a Sandman trade, 1602 #1 and Spawn #9 signed. I think I have a Terry Pratchett signed book or two as well (humble brag again)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I remember Adams used to charge but if you buy something from his stand (which was massive) he would sign it for free.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
What's going on is more goons need to listen to Grinderman

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
The Thing looks like a recoloured Red Skull head with an added cigar.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
My wife is reading Sandman for the first time and just finished A Game of You and we were talking about. We're both curious about how the story is received in the Trans community and if it was ever seen as groundbreaking at the time or dated now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Opopanax posted:

Chip Zdarksy is coming to my lovely little town as part of his tour in the spring, what’s the etiquette on signing here? Never done this kind of thing outside of a con. Should I buy stuff directly or bring something of my own in with me?

I usually bring something and say thank you for doing a signing

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

It's a cold day in hell.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Other Morrison Vertigo stuff is We3, Seaguy, Joe the Barbarian, Kid Eternity.
Berger was definitely a driving force for Vertigo though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I just lent my ten year old niece the complete single volume of bone. Hope she enjoys it (and it takes her all summer to read)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Bone is excellent. Think classic Disney cartoons mixed with Lord of the Rings. At it's heart it's a kids story but there is a lot adults will like. There isn't really any cynicism but just great storytelling and a lot of heart. Think The Hobbit but with cute cartoon characters

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

Gotta sell my omnibus some time.

Looking it up and it is listed at 200 on Amazon Canada. Do people actually spend that much?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

AvesPKS posted:

I'm reading Transformers vs. GI Joe and it's so good, although I'm having trouble following the story and understanding character motivations at times, which really isn't that big of a deal.

Is there anything else out there that is similar to this type of artwork/style? I do have GI Joe and the Transformers queued up to read after this as well.

Also I know Grant Morrison is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it? For reference I also really enjoyed Black Summer, No Hero, and Supergod. I've seen some scans of pages featuring an actual evil Reed Richards that seem like it could be close, but I'm not even sure where that story would be collected.

Think you mean Warren Ellis who wrote planetary.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Throwing Copra into the recommendations of you like the old school style of Superhero team dealing with situations with a very retro old school style.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Leather jackets will never go out of style.
also hoodies. More heroes need to wear hoodies.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Lucifunk posted:

I truly am the only fan of Gambit's costume. I'm from Louisiana and my wife is Cajun and I liked Prince's 90's period where he wore the head sock. He wears a trenchcoat in New Orleans. That's the hardest thing to wear there. It's 100° and the humidity is 90%. He's crazy.

I love it too. It makes absolutely no sense and is style over practicality but it goes so hard into style that it goes from crazy to awesome. It is really one of my fave costumes of the 90s.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
It has one story of Swamp Thing landing a planet made up of machines or something and it is filled with text and I have never been able to finish that issue.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
My introduction was the 90s X-Men cartoon. For me that will always be the purest version of the X-Men

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Oh man that loving sucks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Opopanax posted:

There's also Unknown Soldier, which Ennis had a run on and is centered around Nam. It's sort of supernatural but not a Cape comic or anything

Going with Unknown Soldier Joshua Dyskart did an excellent (and bleak) update in the 2000s that take place in Uganda. It is both excellent and horrific.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

barnes and Noble had the first volume of Undiscovered Country in the clearance section section for three dollars so I bought it and it turns out it's pretty bad.

The premise is that America has been physically cut off from the rest of the world for 30 years with no contact with the outside. Now a small team is going in, the first outsiders to see what has become of America.

Reading the description on the back I thought that was a strong premise, but one that really relies on the writers having interesting or unique or fun things to say about America. Like, that's the premise you use when you really want to say something about America now, but can express it better or in a more entertaining fashion through a sci-fi fictional story.

So I was pretty surprised to discover that they really don't have much to say about America at all. It's just another generic Image sci-fi/action series but occasionally one of the bad guys will say a famous phrase from American history. It is established that America has been further divided into walled off zones, so I'm guessing that if I kept reading I'd discover that the thing they want to say about America is some absolutely asinine meaningless pablum about media echo chambers and everybody just needing to listen to each other. But I'm not gonna find out.

Outside of America it's established that in this America-free world the remaining nations have divided into the European/African alliance and the Asian Prosperity sphere, which seems somewhat politically incoherent. But don't worry, it's shown that the Asians are the most evil ones, because they're building warships with farms on them so they never need to be resupplied so they can go to war with Europe at some point in the future for some reason. But none of that matters because the world will end in 6 months from a sci-fi virus because the world can't handle a pandemic without America apparently. This series started in 2020.

And then at the end of the book, there's an authors post script where they had wanted to work together on something for years but weren't sure what until they got invited to tour the CIA headquarters and were told about all the dangers the world faced without America and all the times the CIA saved the nation but they can't talk about it because it's classified. And then they decided to write a comic about America. And they they spent a few more years just forwarding Scientific American articles to each other about weird fish or something and being like, "we should put this in the comic!" And that's how they came to write a boring comic that sucks about America that has absolutely nothing to say about America.

I gotta be honest, after I read the book I thought it wasn't bad, but after typing out all my opinions it actually really loving sucked.

I stuck with Undiscovered Country for maybe two story arcs and while the whole book seemed extremely apolitical I kind of liked the idea that America was split up into lands that were "ideas" ie innovation, storytelling etc. That being said Snyder's worst habits were on display here and like I said the story was way too apolitical. It went for a more magical fantasy idea of what would happen if America isolated itself and did not even pretend to ground itself in any reality.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Started re-reading Maus. It's been IDK what, 30 years? Already dreading it at page 45.

Bought my nephew a copy earlier this year and thought I should give it a go too.

A good companion peace is MetaMaus which is pretty much a making of including original transcripts and interviews with his dad as well as a whole bunch of background info

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Out of curiosity which Vampirella runs are worth checking out?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Just did an inventory of all my trades and GNs and after a little bit of weeding got the number down to 540.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Lucifunk posted:

I don't know if it was me, but it was probably my favorite series of '23. I also really liked Love, Everlasting but I'm a few months behind on that one.

The Crimson Cage is another wrestling based book from last year I liked. It's a retelling of MacBeth based in the early 80s New Orleans wrestling scene.

I am powering my way through the second Love Everlasting trade and it's a bit of a tearjerker. I'm enjoying the title quite a bit though and will probably get the trades as they come out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Opopanax posted:

My local con just added Gina Carano with about a month to go, over a month since they otherwise finalized the list. Scummy af

I just saw this. It was gonna be my first con in a while. I generally avoid the celebrity stuff anyway but still not impressed

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Air Skwirl posted:

Is Carano even a big draw, she hasn't been in Star wars stuff for years and she wasn't in it that much before she got poo poo canned and no one has likely watched the lovely movies she's been doing for Daily Wire's studio.

Judging from comments on Facebook (I know I know) a lot of people who don't even live near to Vancouver are excited that she will be there. So basically online trolls who weren't going to the event anyway.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I love it when artists do quick doodles along with signatures. Jeff Lemire is quite well known for doing a 10 second doodle every now and again when doing signings.

As for the Allreds I kind of wish they weren't so friendly when doing signings. I remember standing in a line for them for about 45 minutes because the guy two people ahead of me brought pretty much everything they had ever done to get signed and it just went on and on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

I'm at Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle. Noah Van Sciever has a booth here, and I'm not going g to do it, but there's a real temptation to ask him what the hell is wrong with his brother.

Hope it's a good con. I used to go every year until....2017. Then the last time I went in 2019 it just didn't seem to have the same joy but that might just have been me getting older.