Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Batman, Nightwing, Worlds Finest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

As the former Power Rangers writer you’d think he’d know to market the hell out of a Radiant Green.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’ve seen artists charge like three bucks for signatures to at least make some money off the people who want multiple things signed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My list of top creators I still want to meet and get signatures from:
Brian Bendis (met him over 20 years ago, but my favorite works of his had not come out yet)
Mark Waid
Ed Brubaker (a West Coast guy who has never made a Florida appearance)
James Robinson (same)
Mike Allred (same)
Brian K. Vaughan (same)
John Layman (same)
Chip Zdarsky (same, but Canadian)
John Ostrander

Mark Waid was fun. Had him sign JLA: Heavens Ladder because he probably doesn’t get to sign that big rear end book very often, and i feel it’s an underrated story.

Chip was at his first C2E2 with Marvel, and he drew me a Spider-Man head. Said She Hulk would be Howard the Duck’s running mate if he ran for President in 2016.

Didn’t get a signature from Ostrander, but he was fun to talk to right after the New 52 launch.

Dave Gibbons is the best guy to meet. Had a chair on the other side of his table so you could sit down. Never thought I’d get a signature on the dog eared copy of Watchmen I’ve had since I was in high school.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Chip Zdarksy is coming to my lovely little town as part of his tour in the spring, what’s the etiquette on signing here? Never done this kind of thing outside of a con. Should I buy stuff directly or bring something of my own in with me?

Bring something and buy something. If you own a hardcover of his stuff, he might give you a free doodle. Buying something is a good gesture towards the store for bringing him, and he would probably like the store to feel like they’re getting their monies worth.

Or just do whatever. The store knows only a certain percentage will actually buy something, and that just getting people in the door is probably enough.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Don’t look forward to #11. Issue 10 is releasing the week before Final Fantasy 16.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I like the Year One recolor.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh gently caress they're fighting woke?

Pronouns weren't invented yet. They were fighting giant ants.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

So, does Marvel Unlimited not let youj read recent (three month old) books on browsers anymore? Haven't used in a while, and wanted to catch up on Zdarsky's Daredevil, but now I can't read on my surface. Doesn't even show me what books I've previously read.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I was looking for a TMNT thread but there isn’t one so I’m gonna leave this here.

https://twitter.com/henereyg/status/1646724524849893382?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Get in the Turtle Van, Mikey.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

One week you’re battling the Foot Clan, the next you’re battling depression.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

MJ & Black Cat: Beyond got nominated for best single issue, that's quite nice.

Tom King got an Eisner with Ace the Bat Hound, you got this.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ultimates was some good satire at the time. The scary thing was the people who didn’t realize it was satire.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

D-Pad posted:

So I sold a Spawn collectors edition hardcover on eBay today and I'm printing out the shipping label and notice it's going to LA and the name is Robert Kirkman so I Google search the address and it's going to Skybound Entertainment offices. Made my day.

Also makes me wonder if this is for his personal collection or if he's going to be working on a Spawn project.

Send a little note with it if you want. Friend of my moms sold some comics to Leonardo Dicaprio, and he sent them an autograph.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

D-Pad posted:

So I sent Kirkman my copy of Void Rivals #1 1:100 with a polite note asking for a signature and with a gemini mailer and return label. I did send him a message on ebay first but I only had a day to ship or ebay would ding my account and I never heard back but I said gently caress it and sent it anyway. It's been almost two weeks and the tracking on the return label hadn't updated so I was beginning to think I gambled $200 comic and lost, but I just checked and it is on it's way back to me and will be here on Monday. It's possible he didn't sign it and just dropped the package back in the mail, but at least I didn't lose it and if it's signed I am going to be incredibly pumped.

That's a really rad cover. Wishing you the best! This Energon Universe stuff seems like it's going to be pretty interesting so far.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

I know nothing about these books, but apparently Vampirella had some very talented writers in the early days. Kurt Busiek, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, James Robinson.
Comics are a tough business to get started in, and I'm sure smut comics pay well and offer creative freedom as long as you are also extremely horney.
I wouldn't go looking for continuity or a grand artistic vision tho

Vampirella is the queen of horny comics, and is respected as such. Doing a Vampi story is cool in the same way that doing a story for Heavy Metal is.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Horny older dudes. And in Vampirella's case she's been ingrained enough in comic book culture that she doesn't have the same stigma as the other cheesecake books. Somebody previously pointed out all the big name comic book creators that worked on Vampi books either early in their career, or just for fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And I think Morrison got that idea because it was initially one of the ideas for Superman's origin before Siegel and Shuster settled on Krypton.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jason Aaron is going to be the new Ninja Turtles writer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The way he talks about the Mirage comics and what his approach will be, we might be getting more Wolverine Jason Aaron.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I read The Last Ronin. Pretty good! The only TMNT comics I'd read before are the ones where everybody becomes a mutant and instead of doing ninja stuff the Turtles just go to DIY punk shows and teach self defense classes, so I didn't get all the references. But it was still a good little miniseries. It was kinda funny, at one point they establish that the new girl is specifically 17, and I was like, "that's weird I wonder why they felt the need to specifically establish her age and nobody else- ohhhhhhhh yeah. That's the first word. She's the new teenage mutant ninja turtle"

I feel like I'm starting to circle around getting into TMNT. I'm holding off so far but I feel like I'm being pulled in.

Check out TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo WhereWhen by Stan Sakai.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Jack Kirby is an amazing story teller. I read Fantastic Four from the beginning until like four or five issues after Kirby left and it sucked. the art isn't worse, it's JRSR, and Stan Lee is still writing all of the dialogue and exposition, but it's just not much.

Stan seemed pretty hands off with FF and Thor as time went on. Thor got real weird near the end, and it was a lot better than when they tried to make him do standard super hero fare. Donald Blake doesn’t even really factor into the book while Thor is spending all his time either on Asgard or in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think a lot of people only buy those kinds of books for the covers.