Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Driving myself into raving madness trying to find a copy of Nemesis the Warlock Book 2, Sláine: Grail War and the last four Corto Maltese books I don’t have. I started getting into comics fairly recently and have been mostly reading 2000ad stuff (though I did get the three Aliens Early Years and the Predator Early Years collections which are incredibly good, also have the AvP one on the way which was stupid expensive) and it’s astonishing how loving hard it is to find any of the stuff I really like. I’ve been reduced to ordering 80s printings on ebay because most stuff by Pat Mills and my other faves (Pratt, Oesterheld) are inexplicably completely out of print

This is kind of a frustrating hobby, I love these books so much but they’re absurdly difficult to find and prohibitively expensive

Any other Sláine fans here? I’ve gotten the first twelve books except the 8th one, Grail War, and it’s astonishingly good, way better than any comparable Conan comics. Between that, Third World War, Charley’s War, and Nemesis it feels like Pat Mills is more influential than most people really acknowledge - Warhammer 40k just straight copied almost all of its fundamentals regarding the imperium from Termight in Nemesis

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I do lots of reading online via free sites with a nice thorough adblock going but for real faves there’s something distinctively nice about having a physical copy I know won’t suddenly vanish one day. It’s probably also partially a function of largely enjoying relatively niche stuff, Eurocomics and the like, which are sometimes even hard to find in a digital format

I’m generally baffled by the industry and how poor the stewardship of these companies is re: keeping things alive and accessible. One of my top favorites are the Warhammer Monthly comics from the 90s and they’re not just OOP, but not available digitally at all, with no plans to reprint or collect them because Games Workshop hates its customers. Similarly Corto Maltese is impossible to find, 2000ad never seems to reprint things, and Heavy Metal as a company seems to be like three guys running entirely on fumes at this point, a depressing contrast to the huge numbers of print books I see they had on offer according to their ads from the 80s/90s

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Is IDW/Eurocomics not printing Corto Maltese anymore?

Nope, I got really lucky and found four at my local shop, snagged the last copies of another few on Amazon at cover price or very close to it, then picked up The Ethiopian and The Celts for semi-reasonable prices on ebay, but the remaining ones are all absurdly expensive in any format, it seems, like 3-4x the cover price which is just too much for my blood

Similarly my most lusted after item, the second Nemesis the Warlock collection, only has one copy online for a whopping $180 when it’s $20 on the 2000ad store (when available). I got the three books it collects in 80s Titan prints TPBs for $25-$40 each and they’re on the way now, but I’m pretty sure they’re missing a few of the extra progs the collection has

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The vague talk of a Corto Maltese show has me hopeful they’ll be reprinted soon. I also really hope Ernie Pike gets the same treatment, because like most Pratt / Oesterheld, it’s only available in German or Spanish despite being described by pretty much everyone as a seminal antiwar comic and generally foundational in the world of 20th century adventure stories that aren’t shockingly racist

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vincent posted:

If you want to have a physical copy (but in spanish, then you can read the comic online...some other way), try Ebay for "Biblioteca clarín del comic). They're small trades published by argentinian newspaper Clarin, and among the comics collected, ther's Eternauta (1 AND 2, which is hella hard to find), Ernie Pike, Corto Maltese, etc. You could also search for "Cofre Corto Maltese", a colection from a few years ago of cheap, small re-prints of all the Pratt Corto comics. Both of these shouldn't cost and arm and a leg.

Thanks! I really appreciate the tip - unfortunately (unlike Corto) I am a parochial untraveled monoglot so it's only really worth getting them in English for me. I suppose I can technically read Spanish after over a decade of middle/high/undergraduate lessons, but Pratt's dialogue is so good I always feel like it deserves to be read in as legible a form as possible. I might ultimately end up getting some of those though, it's absurdly hard to find them in English and downright impossible to find Ernie Pike. But yeah, I read almost everything via the...other way before I buy it, but CM is the only one I love so much I want to read it all in physical format first since I feel like it allows me to really come to grips with the material. I just got a copy of The Celts shipped all the way from Australia and a copy of In Ethiopia (with it's 80s title, In Africa) from Canada, which were both more expensive than they should be, and I'm waiting on a copy of The Windy Isles, which leaves only the Secret of the Rose and the Golden House of Samarkand for me to eventually collect.

Unrelated, I've been really, really enjoying the old Dark Horse Aliens/Predator stuff, enough that I bought all three Aliens Original Years omnibuses, the Predator Omnibus, and the recent collection of the first two AvP storylines for far, far too much money. I'm just wondering if anyone in here knows how I can discern whether they'll ever do an AvP: The Original Years - the fandom wiki says they will but I can't find anything to back that up. It's pretty astonishing how quickly the quality dropped after the Marvel purchase, I tried to read the more recent Aliens comics and they were just insipid garbage in contrast with the relatively high-concept and at least thoughtful stuff from DH in the late 80s-early 90s.

Also I mentioned this earlier, but I've been getting really into Slaine by Pat Mills and haven't been able to find a couple books. After a big fiasco with 2000ad where they repeatedly told me a book was on the way only to be informed a month later it was actually never in stock at all, the customer support guy there told me they'd be reprinting Slaine - all of it, apparently - sometime this year for the 40th anniversary. Slaine up to the Horned God might be my second favorite comic after Corto Maltese, and the stuff after it is still great, so idk if anyone else is interested but there's probably gonna be an expensive/beautiful omnibus this year. If only they'd do the same for Nemesis...

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It's been a nightmare getting my books from Rebellion - I recently ordered Ro-Busters, some Dredd, and both Strontium Dog books and it took over a month for them to get here, I even had to request replacements because they appeared to be lost and then the originals randomly arrived. Is that just me or is Rebellion/2000ad having a really hard time? The very first order I placed with them I ordered a Slaine book and they told me it was dispatched then two weeks later when I inquired it turned out it had never been printed, wasn't in stock, and wasn't going to be reprinted

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I am going to drive myself to complete madness trying to locate a copy of Corto Maltese: The Secret Rose. I just spent a completely absurd $200 buying The Golden House of Samarkand and Tango which leaves me with only one missing. I feel like they might be the best adventure/"real world" comics ever written and it is just so frustrating how difficult they are to find. While I'm at it, it is completely bonkers that Lone Wolf and Cub has a 28 volume reprint from 2016 and the only ones actually available anymore are 1-10. I don't understand why so many important classic historical comics are so utterly neglected

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ACTUALLY Corto Maltese is (and I can't believe I'm using this phrase) magical realism.
:goonsay:

that is a fair point and the correct term

Mr Hootington posted:

They are not talking about digital

agreed. I am looking for physical copies. if I want a digital copy I will just read it online via one of the many websites where that does not cost money, I don't do digital editions

How Wonderful! posted:

Corto Maltese is such a masterpiece. It's also frustrating to learn that the back half of Lone Wolf and Club is difficult to find these days-- it becomes something so interesting and thorny by the end, I think if the first couple volumes are all that's available to an English audience they're really getting cheated out of something special.

Yeah, I'm glad to hear at least I was mixed up and it is only the last two that are hard to find and not the last eighteen. I've been having a whale of a time reading through them (on number 6 now) and was very upset to think I wouldn't be able to see it through to the end, which I am certain will be a spectacular piece of work

Action Jacktion posted:

The Lone Wolf & Cub reprint was twelve volumes; it was Dark Horse's original version that ran twenty-eight volumes.

I'm waiting for them to do an unflipped version; I'd buy it all over again.

Oh that's great, I was wondering if that was the case - I did manage to find 11 and 12, which are seemingly OOP and not available, from the 2016 printing, but they cost $40 each and have a shipping time of 2 months so I'm suspicious the seller doesn't actually have them and just thinks they'll be able to find a copy in time. I have the first ten already, at least so if that doesn't work out they'll just be my two books I am eternally looking for now that I miraculously found a copy of the second Nemesis The Warlock omnibus

How Wonderful! posted:

It sounded like Mr. Frog wanted physical editions, apologies if I misconstrued their post. Although to be fair I was also quite foolish to just go "oh yeah sounds rough" without verifying the availability of the books so yeah, fair call, I was dumb.

You are absolutely right and it really is completely impossible to find a copy of The Secret Rose printed on "dead trees" or whatever derisive term for a physical copy you can retain and enjoy forever in a particular way people are using now

Mr Hootington posted:

Good luck on finding the difficult to obtain books Frig Act. I hope you happen across one!

Thanks friend! I've only been into comics/collecting for about a year and while it is frustrating that things are so elusive unless you want superhero stuff, it is quite thrilling to obtain something rare and coveted after a lot of effort and money

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Opopanax posted:

There was a Lone Wolf and Cub humble bundle last year that I think was complete, but of course that would be digital as well

Yeah I mean I don't have any abstract problem with digital, I just really, really, really like having a durable set of physical books I know I won't lose with a hard drive or when readcomiconline finally goes down forever. It's so nice to have a shelf full of things I know I'll be able to pass down to my progeny one day, that (at least a portion of them) will grow in value over time, etc. If I didn't have the money or space I'd read digital versions since ofc the most important thing is just being able to engage with the story

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

A couple years ago I didn’t buy a full set of lone wolf and cub, and I’m kicking myself for it.

I also didn’t buy a whole stack of corto maltese, but the older English print versions were very bad so I’m not too fussed about that.

I love my physical comics. I also read on digital, but just looking at the actual books brings me a lot of joy.

A few of them aren't so bad, instead of IDW I bought an eighties version of The Ethiopian printed when it was still called In Africa and a 1996 Harvill edition of The Celts and they're both pretty much as good as the newer ones. But yeah a ton of the various English editions and other random European collections look like they are of extremely poor quality or insufficient size or both. This panel is from the 1996 one and the only real problem is there's a bit of bleedthrough but I don't really notice in practice

and yeah dang I'd also be feeling ticked about passing that over. I'm actually astonished it isn't more popular, it's a masterpiece and, equally importantly, it is characterized by a degree of historicity basically nobody else (I've read) but Pratt manages to achieve. Like obviously it isn't 100% accurate or a primary source but all of the stuff about Edo governance seems to be fairly accurate based on my google searches and it is quite cool to see historical fiction like that focusing on a context I am not really familiar with

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I've seen some of you acquisitions and they have been very cool. Have you tried Mercari?

oh snap no I've never even heard of them but that looks like a potentially very fruitful avenue. My other bête noire now that I finally found the second Nemesis book is Slaine: Grail War, the 8th book in the recent reprinting, so another place to look for that + possibly LWAC as it seems to emphasize Japanese stuff might be just the ticket

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rental Sting posted:

I'm curious: is the Lone Wolf and Cub manga as full of stylized hyperviolence as the films, or is it a different vibe?

The first couple movies are the closest adaptation of a manga/comic I’ve ever seen, it’s bonkers how close they are. Verbatim dialogue, frame-by-frame shots, etc. I will say that the black and white and restrained naturalistic art style makes it much quieter, for lack of a better word, than in the movies with their bright red blood and fast cuts

3D Megadoodoo posted:

For Corto Maltese, my favourite "editions" will always be from Non Stop magazine (because that's where I first saw the series). The colours I've not seen surpassed in any album edition - the only weird thing is the sometimes lack of speech bubbles which doesn't bother me personally.

e: I'm assuming it looked the same in whatever Continental magazine it was from. Of course the paper quality does effect the colours a lot so who knows (not me).

Dang those are gorgeous, I know some people are ambivalent about the color ones since they were originally in black and white but that works really well. If they ever reprint some kind of omnibus in color I’d want that too probably

thetoughestbean posted:

Classic manga unfortunately doesn’t sell anywhere near enough to justify better availability, although in Lone Wolf and Cub’s case it’s because Dark Horse is really garbage at re-printing manga that aren’t Berserk or (to a much lesser extent) Blade of the Immortal.

The vast majority of the manga-buying audience wants whatever’s got a hit anime recently or what they read in middle school.

Yeah, I suppose that’s just the grim reality for all sequential art media. Western comics are mostly unbearably awful superheroes and most manga is is named something like MAGICAL HERO GHOUL HUNTER TITAN ACADEMIA GIRLS and the actual good stuff is either long dead and ignored or super niche, at least in my experience and to my tastes

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 31, 2023

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I've been trying to fill in the holes in my Lone Wolf & Cub collection of First Publishing editions, which is a bit of an uphill climb. A friend of mine got a stack of them from a flea market for like a quarter a pop when we were in high school, and ended up passing them on to me, a real formative read.

Edit: and your posts made me realize that I'm actually missing a couple Corto Maltese collections, drat it all

That’s a really cool format to read LWAC in, do they have any additional material like reader letters or anything?

Also I have been wondering and feel like this is a good place to ask: copies of Requiem: Vampire Knight are totally inaccessible at $300-$1000 despite Ledroit’s art being a series of masterpieces on par with Druillet and being written by one of the greatest comics writers of all time, Pat Mills. What do people think the likelihood that it will ever get the proper hardback large size reprinting it deserves is?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Frog Act, bad news. I just found a copy of The Golden House of Samakand on a shelf for cover. I actually check the thread to know which book you were missing so I could offer it for cover plus shipping, but they only have that, The Ethiopian and In Siberia.

Aw shucks friend that is extremely kind of you to even consider. I actually just started that last night and it is a wonderfully interesting book even by the standards of Corto Maltese, so I sincerely appreciate your generosity of spirit.

I actually meant to post about it in here, CM is the only comic where I like consistently learn something new. I have a BA/MA in history and took both grad and undergrad courses on Ottoman history with a Turkish Ottomanist professor and I’m still encountering entirely new bits of history re: Mediterranean and Turkish politics from 1918-22 reading through this series. It’s really unprecedented and when I consider the amount of research Pratt must have undertaken to accumulate this tremendous knowledge of both geopolitics and mythology, it makes the roguish, always unexpected narrative turns (and just narratives in general) that much more impressive.

I also finally got my copy of Ro-Busters Volume 2, and it is extremely good. The whole series is in print right now for the first time in ages and I strongly recommend it to any 2000ad fans, it’s a really neat kind of science fiction that eschews guns, mercenaries, bounty hunters, Judge Dredds, etc and focuses on Pat Mills’s incentive ideas about disaster rescues in the near-ish future. Like with anything Mills he uses it as a vehicle for hilarious and still-relevant sociopolitical allegory but what I think is so fun is the way it manages to combine that with the sort of unqualified delight a child would take in bulldozers and fire trucks. It’s a refreshing change of pace in a lot of ways

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

haha gently caress you resellers. gently caress you!!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This took so much loving effort to find, I'm so pumped I finally got it:

I've also got a copy of Howard Chaykin's American Flagg I am very excited about en route. It's been a good week for me bookwise

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Uthor posted:

I got this digitally and just couldn't read it. His artwork just does not work for me and I can't read anything drawn by him. :smith:

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard that about Chaykin - in my experience he's been universally praised as a pointed satire of the Reagan era and kind of a classic of politically incisive but still intelligent and amusing comic art, but I haven't actually read anything by him. I started it on readcomiconline and enjoyed it enough I wanted to read it IRL though and I can see where you're coming from taking a look at it again. Hopefully I won't have the same reaction, though I recently picked up the Tank Girl collection and felt the same way you did about Chaykin, I just have a really hard time parsing the extremely busy panels.

Gripweed posted:

Nemesis the Warlock owns so much

It might be my favorite, either that or Marshal Law, but Nemesis stands out for more or less singlehandedly defining everything that'd later make 40k what it is. I guess really my favorite is just Pat Mills

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Uthor posted:

I unironically love the Tank Girl movie, but those comics also didn't hold my attention. The art worked fine for me, but there just wasn't a plot between the issues (or in the issues), so it felt like I was just reading funny sketches.

Yeah same I thought, as a big fan of the film and the animated segments, the comics would also be the same kind of wacky-but-coherent post apocalyptica where there was a neat world to imagine some creative but not-too-zany characters occupying and that did not turn out to be the case. Instead the very first issue begins with her weird hybrid dog man boyfriend-cum-manservant doing a long monologue about how they like to gently caress and then engaging in some very disappointing action. I’m gonna try to push through to see if it improves but I’m not hopeful

Mr Hootington posted:

Chaykin's 80s art was ok, but anything after the mid 90s is the ugliest God damned art put to page.

Interesting, I think American Flagg was entirely in the 80s and while the art does look a little funky I think it still ends up being distinctive rather than muddled. Curious to see how it looks in print which just has a fundamentally different five for me than readcomiconline

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've actually been waiting to finish it until I got that second book but Nemesis's singleminded selfishness and lack of regard for both humanity and the aliens he claims to represent feels like it has been thematically present to some degree or another all along, very excited to actually see how the latter half of the story goes

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm trying to remember the name of a fairly mainstream comic that was about like, the first tier of the afterlife, something about cops and helping people through the land of death or something. It has an acronym title like BPRD, I think. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Medullah posted:

RIPD, made into a movie with Ryan Reynolds. :D

Edit - Not sure if that matches the plot since I never saw it or read it.

Yeah I think that's it, I remember looking at it in a store and thinking it looked like poo poo but I wanted to see if I was right via readcomiconline, thanks friend

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dredd is great fun, I've got the first seven case files books but I've always gotten the impression it has gone way downhill since around (ironically) 2000, but that doesn't sound so bad

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

digital comics seem like such a fuckin nightmare. I've got enough storefronts to deal with on top of steam, gently caress all that. for me if I can't get it physically, I'm reading it on readcomiconline, and I can't see that changing though it'd be nice if companies would try. at least Rebellion just gives out DRM free PDFs when you buy digital copies.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just go to the comic book store and buy the albums I want. It's pretty handy.

Every day I feel better about my thing for physical comics. Just got the last 11 Dorohedoro books and a bunch of Strontium Dogs for 50% off

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got the complete Diceman signed by Pat Mills, I’ve never actually played a choose your own adventure but it seems like it might be a good time? It’s certainly very interesting especially the Reagan CYOA at the end which constitutes a rare glimpse into Mills’s politics and capacity for satire not occluded by the necessity of allegory in his scifi/fantasy writing. I’ve also got the Flintstones hardback collection coming today which I am pretty stoked about and finally got my hands on the last two LWAC books.

Unfortunately I also recently got laid off from my job very suddenly and cruelly so I won’t be buying any more books for the foreseeable future

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Sorry for the loss of you job! I hope you can find one soon!

Thank you friend, I appreciate it

Ive been reading Accident Man and it’s a drat shame Toxic! magazine didn’t last longer, I can’t imagine how much cool stuff would’ve come from a 90s alternative to 2000ad, also founded by Pat Mills but this time with an emphasis on ensuring creators retain as much ownership as possible. The more I think about it the more I hate 2000ad and Heavy Metal for spending the last twenty years ratfucking their respective legacies for a quick buck

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Are there any good Godzilla / kaiju comics? I spotted one at Barnes and Noble and realized my interest was piqued but it had the most hideous art I’ve ever seen. I am sure, however, there are some excellent manga or something associated with such a venerable franchise, so if anyone has a recommendation I’d appreciate it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dope thanks I will look into those. I love the old movies and Shin Godzilla but hadn’t even occurred to me there were probably some quality comics more in the spirit of those than, say, the 1997 American movie

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I think people really liked Godzilla in Hell

There’s also Kaijumax is you want Oz, the show, mixed with kaiju

Hell yeah thanks I happen to be a tremendous fan of Oz and giant monsters so I’m gonna seek that one out expeditiously

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I appreciate all the suggestions, I got a job interview this week after my sudden layoff last month which has hosed me over and prevented me from buying any comics but if this works out I’m gonna grab most of the Godzilla comics mentioned and then drop $200 on a hardback omnibus of Kamandi, the Last Boy in the World, which looks super dope

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I almost grabbed Bone the other day cus I am tangentially aware of its status as a classic, and it’s long and pretty cheap. What’s the tone like?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That sounds perfect my life has been kind of a disastrous unrelenting nightmare lately and I need some good escapism of exactly that character, and it seems like the big thick complete book can be had fairly cheaply too

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think there's a color version available, but it was originally done in B&W so you won't be missing out getting that. I think the single volume version has super thin paper. Fine for a moderately careful reading, but won't handle 12 seconds within 5 feet of a determined dog or child.

That’s fine with me, before I lost my job I accumulated a good number of extremely fragile old comic books that luckily neither dogs nor children have access to and I am happy with black and white, I actually think I often prefer to read things in their original format even if they were colorized later. Like Corto Maltese feels abstractly diminished by having been colorized in the second to most recent collections, whereas the more recent IDW ones retain that beautiful contrast Pratt built into them initially

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks for the recommends I found out I got the job I really wanted today and took a celebratory trip to the comic store which had Half Century War, so I grabbed that, two Corto Maltese I already have cus they were cover price and they’re worth at least 5-10x that, and a copy of Enki Bilal’s monster which just looked neat even though Titan’s big hardback printings leave something to be desired. Gonna preorder the poo poo out of the new Nemesis reprint when I get paid too, excited for those to finally be available again maybe they’ll even reprint ABC warriors

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Godzilla: Half Century War was super good. The basic conceit of being a schmuck in a tank who was there for some of the notable events of the early movies combined with Stockoe’s gorgeous art and interpretation of the franchise made it a real pleasure all the way through. My only complaint is I wish they had given him more pages, he was obviously constrained by space and could have told a much longer story filling in some of all the gaps while retaining the time jump structure. That being said what was there was excellent and Stockoe’s tremendous economy of language and space enables him to plausibly cram fifty years into a fairly small space.

Anyway if nothing else it’s a nice little catalogue of old school Toho kaiju and fun to see where he employs different interpretations of kaiju: he depicts Mechagodzilla as a terrestrial superweapon (I think the original was an evil robot from space) which I’d only seen in the weird anime otherwise, but the protagonist witnesses the original oxygen destroyer scene from the first movie .

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Joe Fisto posted:

I enjoyed the new Conan. It’s essentially the same as the Marvel series but with more blood and boobies.

What’s it called? I love the older Conan comics but it’s hard to find collections that aren’t just aggregates of the enormous volume of mid stuff from marvel and that sounds like maybe a good starting point for newer stuff at least

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I need to solicit some input from comics knowers, just out of a general desire to gauge the stupidity of a purchase I intend to make. 2000ad released a really nice hardcover artbook for Kevin O’Neill, who is tied for my favorite artist of all time with Simon Bisley, and it looks loving sick. However, it is extremely expensive and because Rebellion sucks and orders from their website have a minimum shipping of like $35-$50 when you’re ordering proper hardbacks. Anyway there’s a slipcase version with a little bit of extra content for $203 versus $126 for the non-slipcase version. I’ve only really been reading comics for about a year and thus feel like I’m not really informed with regards to projecting value and determining whether something is liable to accumulate it (though I never plan to sell any of this stuff) and I’m especially not really familiar with art books like this. What do posters ITT think? Have any of y’all bought the book I’m talking about and dig it? It’s just so expensive

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I mean yeah I don’t intend to sell it, I’m just always interested in the patterns of costs associated with buying things I want later like how I had to pay a hundred dollars for a Corto Maltese (and nemesis, and ABC warriors) book and want to avoid doing that in the future if I can. I guess I was mostly trying to gauge whether that’s the kind of thing people thing I’d be able to find on the cheap in a few years since art books are generally unfamiliar to me

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The original Alan Moore Swamp Thing collection is on sale, I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about that over the years but never read any Swamp Thing stories. I usually don’t like superheroes and have been ambivalent about some of Moore’s work but enjoyed his contributions to American Flagg and enjoyed V for Vendetta well enough fifteen years ago when I was a teenager. What do people itt think of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks everyone! I was a bit charitable about my feelings re: superhero comics, which I pretty much categorically hate with a few odd exceptions here and there. Swamp Thing being characterized by psychedelia/being a gigantic influential work that is important to the medium/some decent social satire sounds like exactly the kinda thing that makes a few marvel/DC characters or whatever showing up something I can overlook without issue.