Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Is IDW/Eurocomics not printing Corto Maltese anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

drat, that sucks. I'm glad I filled out my collection when I did.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

No idea, I haven't checked in with the imprint since I finished my Corto collection a couple years ago.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Charging for signatures as a writer is something I generally don't do, but it usually comes down to context. If I'm doing a signing at a store, then I'm not going to charge anything as that's not really the point- I don't do store signings to make money, I do them to build relationships with retailers, hopefully get some fans hyped and shoot the poo poo about comics for a bit. That said, when I'm in PEI, I'll stop by an online retailer (Mutant Beaver) and sign their stock for a fee- they're in the variant biz, so they can afford it.

I generally feel the same about cons- I don't have much expectation of making money at cons, as I'm not selling prints, commissions or original pages. I can sell copies of my own books, which I sometimes do, but the margins are pretty thin compared to what a pain in the rear end it is to drag them around. Realistically speaking, if I wanted to make money, I'd stay home and write.

Instead, the reason I go to cons is for a free trip to network, hang out with friends I only see at cons, and get the word out there. I usually have a good time meeting fans and signing their books (I still have a fond memory of a tiny kid bringing his beat to poo poo Moon Knights to get signed in Toronto), and if I wasn't signing books I'd be sitting at a table twiddling my thumbs. That said, I may have to institute a limit on books signed or something, because I've severely underestimated how many books people will bring to get signed (and personalized, which takes even more time) and how many times they'll come back with even more stuff, etc. If I was a more popular writer/bigger draw this would probably be something I'd have had in place earlier, but shows are generally pretty chill for me at the moment (I was sat next to Alyssa Wong at NYCC and they had people non stop, they're a machine).

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 6, 2023

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I've been trying to fill in the holes in my Lone Wolf & Cub collection of First Publishing editions, which is a bit of an uphill climb. A friend of mine got a stack of them from a flea market for like a quarter a pop when we were in high school, and ended up passing them on to me, a real formative read.

Edit: and your posts made me realize that I'm actually missing a couple Corto Maltese collections, drat it all

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 31, 2023

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Having gotten a little worn out by shonen manga, Madison Ikkoku is a delight.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

MJ & Black Cat: Beyond got nominated for best single issue, that's quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I'm doing a signing at Harrison's Comics in Salem tomorrow from 2:00-3:00 if there are any goons in the area who would like to drop by.