Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well apparently Jason Pearson died back in December with it only being announced about an hour ago on his Facebook page, it's a shame cause on the one hand he was incredibly skilled at drawing but on the other his lack of work ethic was legendary even by the incredibly low standards of the American comic book industry

Also kind of pissed cause this means I'm forever screwed out of the 60 bucks I gave him back in 2015 when he did a Kickstarter for a new volume of Body Bags comics and then proceeded to do jack poo poo for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

To be fair those kind of boots are basically a super stylized version of real world riding boots

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most of the comics people I'd like to meet are dead.

e: Is Byrne still kicking? I wonder if he'd sign a Destroyer Duck panel with his spine slithering out of his body...

ee: Huh, seems like Aragones, Thomas, and loving Jaffee (at 101 years) are still alive. Byrne isn't even that old - I guess he started young.

The whole Cogburn thing might just be the most savage jab anyone has taken at someone else in the history of the industry that wasn't literally Hitler

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Someone's been posting a bunch of Spawn comics in chronological order over on /co/ and so for the first time I've been properly sitting down and reading them and yeah now I'm definitely starting to see why for a while it was one of the big books in the industry, the writing and dialogue are mostly average but the art is fantastic(particularly when compared to some of the other Image published comics of the time*) and so far these have been surprisingly enjoyable and even breezy comics to read in spite of all the 90's edge they're slathered with

*so far besides the first 10 issues of Spawn I've also read through an issue each of Dark Hawk and Young Blood as part of this and both are way worse than Spawn in basically every respect(though Bad Rock's whole shtick of "average teenager who also happens to be a super powered giant rock person" is a fun one)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Shadowhawk? Shadowhawk was an original Image book from Jim Valentino from 1992. Darkhawk came out around the same time from Marvel and was also super-generic.

Yeah meant Shadowhawk, also while Spawn hasn't done much direct hero stuff so far, him being protective of the homeless people of the alley he hangs around in does a great amount of humanizing for a literal hellspawn

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No I meant Daredevil.

I'm still kind of amazed Marvel hasn't used that version for anything considering he's A) public domain so they don't have to pay anyone and B) they own the trademark for the Daredevil name

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You aren't a real Grant Morrison fan until you've read the Marvel UK Zoids comic he worked on back in the 80's that for some reason he's deeply ashamed about and pretends it doesn't exist even though it's the best thing he's ever made for Marvel by a country mile

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On my laptop I use a program called MMCE and on my android tablet I use an app called ComicScreen

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tosk posted:

I attempted Homestuck a few times way back in the day. I remember reaching a particularly long animation that marked an important point in the story (it was literally so long ago that this is my recollection of whatever it was).

I've been reading more webcomics lately after not doing so for many, many years outside KSBD. Is it worth it to go through Homestuck from start to finish at this point?

How hard has Order of the Stick fallen off? I remember reading that up to date multiple times over a span of years at least a decade ago.

edit: otherwise, I recently read Vattu and Prince of Sartar and really enjoyed both, any recommendations in that vein would be much appreciated

Out of Placers is fantastic and one of my favorite active webcomics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Redman: The Kaiju Hunter is also pretty good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Reminds me that I really need to get around to revisiting the original Valiant universe

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

AvesPKS posted:

I'm reading Transformers vs. GI Joe and it's so good, although I'm having trouble following the story and understanding character motivations at times, which really isn't that big of a deal.

Is there anything else out there that is similar to this type of artwork/style? I do have GI Joe and the Transformers queued up to read after this as well.

Also I know Warren Ellis is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it? For reference I also really enjoyed Black Summer, No Hero, and Supergod. I've seen some scans of pages featuring an actual evil Reed Richards that seem like it could be close, but I'm not even sure where that story would be collected.

Tom Scioli's other comics like Go-Bots and American Barbarian are also worth giving a read and are just as insane

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That was Millar... and Millar. Go figure. I'm sure he has written some good things (I did like his innocuous Superman Adventures run), but now his name on a comic is enough to keep me away from it. Too much edge-lord cynicism and reliance on brutality and rape for "dark humor." Garth Ennis was always better at that stuff anyway, and I even feel like I outgrew his work.

In his Captain America run (I think in the very first issue), Ed Brubaker had Cap reminisce about World War II, about how the French people never gave up or stopped fighting the Nazis even when their government did. That had to be a clap-back against Millar's ugly, jingoistic Ultimate Cap.

A reminder that Mark Millar Licks Goats

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Since you're liking Swamp Thing, I think you'd like Batman: Gothic by Grant Morrison & Klaus Janson, a short and sweet five issue arc that highlights where modern Batman comics tend to shine the brightest, when they intersect between Occult Horror and Film Noir

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

King Baby posted:

I was reading the Q & A thread and noticed the discussion on Spider-Man’s jobs. I do remember his job as a high school teacher and given my experience, think that’s the perfect job him. I’m not a teacher, but I work as a paraprofessional and constantly notice that my teacher constantly is late and leaves early all the time. When he’s in class he’s constantly leaving the room to the point where the students question it. He takes 1 day off a week and blames it on family or whatever. His lesson plans seem very on the fly with little thought…like he’s distracted. He is in great shape too…oh my god he’s really spider man!

I seriously would complain to my boss about this stuff but with this teacher shortage, it’s him or nothing, and nothing means I have to teach the class full time…again.

Anyway school wants me to start a monthly comic club. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do?

What's the age range you'd be dealing with?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If you're going to use the term Comix than should include some examples of proper Underground Comix, though admittedly you would have to do some picking and choosing to find examples that aren't too crude for the kind of thing you're doing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nessus posted:

Fat Freddie's Cat is probably a good call as a short example that is not particularly heavy on nudity, racist stereotypes, or nude racist stereotypes.

e: Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers in general is mostly about how much weed they love to smoke which seems pretty mainstream now

Yeah those comics are a good time

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MetroBook 4 for Astro City arrived today and yup that's some good comics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the horror comics recs My Friend Dahmer is a classic, and Alan Moore is an often underrated master at it both in more pure forms like From Hell and Neonomicon/Providence, and when he slips in elements of horror into his works in other genres like V For Vendetta, Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or even the more conventional superhero stuff he did for Marvel and DC during the 80's

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

It's probably the best essay on Jack the Ripper ever written. From Hell is obviously great and unlikely to be beat as the best Ripper fiction every written (not to mention visually presented), but Dance stands even taller than it because the it carries more weight and meaning. From Hell can get bogged down in Moore's mysticism (sorry Alan, it's not impressive that five points can make a pentagram since that's true of any five points that are not on a line) even as it tries to integrate everything into a cohesive story, even the contradictoey parts. Dance is a lot more sober and realostoc and self-reflective.

You can't have Dance of the Gull Catchers without From Hell, but I think it stands apart.

I dunno I tend to find Gull's arcane ramblings to be the best parts of From Hell(while I tend to find the parts from the perspectives of the prostitutes to kind of drag and be overly dour and repetitive)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How did the colourised version of From Hell turn out?
And is the companion book any good?

Based off some of the pics I've seen it's competently done but it loses a lot of the magic the original art has

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vietnam Flashbacks to Jason Pearson not getting a single goddamn thing done for the Body Bags comics he did a Kickstarter for in the 7 years between the campaign in late 2015 and when he died last December, man had legendary talent but he also had the absolute worst work ethic of anyone in the history of the medium

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Ditko is probably rolling in his grave over a man (his brother) profiting from the labour of another man (his). He always seemed real clear that Marvel was a work for hire situation, and treated it as such.

That has more to do with Ditko being a very talented moron more than anything else really

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, this is possibly the only time where I feel like not siding with an estate because the dude was hardcore, all-in on that nonsense, for good or ill. I don't deny it's a dumb as gently caress way to live but he was devoted to it and never hypocritical about it like the rest of them so it feels kinda disrespectful to try and push a claim that would go against the guy's wishes.

Just in this particular case.

In this case I'd say the disrespect is earned and valid, Ditko was a loving moron whose wishes being ignored is the correct thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah volume 5 just came out