Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Soonmot posted:

Can anyone give me the rundown on Radiant Black/ Pink? A friend shared some fan art and I really dig the look of the Pink character. What are these books about?

They are very much a smattering of ideas Ryan Higgins (and co.) developed during his tenure on Power Rangers without the burden of a corporate IP that’s turned into one of those weird microverses that Image likes to play with. Like how Invincible, Tech Jacket, Brit, Capes, and Astounding Wolf-Man are all technically in the same universe as Savage Dragon or Spawn, but, in actuality, if the book doesn’t have Kirkman’s name on it, you don’t have to worry about it.

Radiant Black has control over gravity, which lets him fly and lift things and punch real good. It was originally one guy, then his idiot friend, and now it’s... both? That’s part of the current storyline and might have been fully explained by now but I’m a few issues behind.

Radiant Red can absorb material and bulk up into a mech-like form. She robbed a bank. She got coerced into more crime. It’s a whole deal. Her mini is fun but it’s drawn by David LaFuente so the storytelling and action are great, however, the main character, who’s supposed to be in her early-to-mid-20’s, looks like she might only be twelve or thirteen years old.

Radiant Yellow can... see through time? Determine probabilities? He’s got that power that the writers on Heroes made sure at least one person had every season so all the folks involved are aware that there’s something bigger and badder on the horizon. Like Doctor Strange’s psychobilly freakout in Infinity War. His solo issue (Radiant Black #17... I think?) is really, really good.

Radiant Pink is a streamer. She can teleport. There’s probably a lot more to her but I haven’t read any of her mini yet and her appearances in Radiant Black have been fairly sparse.

There’s also the crossover, Supermassive, that introduces (the previous) Rogue Sun and Inferno Girl Red. The Dead Lucky dips into PTSD and combat trauma. There’s also an upcoming series called No One that I know absolutely nothing about.

Overall, less than 50 issues worth of material (plus an animated short) that feel more cohesive than most fully-fledged superhero universes going right now. Nothing that will blow your socks off and make you convert religions, but solid comics nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I did a stupid thing and read Big Game and, despite the Millar-ness of it all, am kind of excited to see where it’s going, with the full understanding that only disappointment lies around the corner. Never read Prodigy, Night Club, or a few others on the list, but I’m curious to see how deep from his own bibliography he’s willing to pull. Are we gonna see Huck? The folks from MPH? How many references to Trouble will there be? Will he and Grant Morrison stop loving around and finally bring us more Aztek: The Ultimate Man that isn’t just a subplot in a 25-year-old JLA story?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Etrigan is one of Kirby's most throwaway ideas, but, like the TMNT, all of the pieces are there to do whatever you want with him, which has generally lead to every appearance being, at bare minimum, something to enjoy.

You want a big dumb demon to punch stuff? You got it.
You want a big dumb demon reading Shakespeare? No problem.
You want a big dumb demon doing freestyle rap? Homey? He plays that.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
My LCBS sent something to Rob Liefeld within the last few weeks, and I realized that all the documentaries I've seen either show creators with a storage unit full of poo poo with their name on it or dying in abject poverty.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

mutantIke posted:

100% done with Invincible. Might be the most shonen thing to come out of American comic bookery. Is anything else from the Invincibleverse worth checking out? I picked up a copy of Brit a while back but it doesn't really seem my speed haha

Astonishing Wolf-Man is fun but it wraps up at breakneck speed because nobody was reading it but me.

If you're into the shonen aspect... maybe Tech Jacket?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Are you getting a cut?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There was but I was the only one posting in it. How 'bout that Mutant City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Book Four?