Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Yeah it's bad. We also don't get Comixology Unlimited but I'm not sure that even exists anymore

It does, surprisingly! Pays for itself in discounts for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Black Cloak has one issue out but I think it may be a big one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RevKrule posted:

I think Heroes Reborn was also going on when Marvel published the Captain America cover of his with the floating face and disembodied forearm.

tbf this is actually what happens in the comic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

I gots to know...what is the deal with Steve having a lady's face on his leg?

It's his "wife's" face that Fury takes off to reveal she's an LMD.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RevKrule posted:

It lasted a year and had Lee and Liefeld working on it? That's what, 3 issues for each book in that time?

They actually all made it 13 issues! I believe this also involved firing Lee and/or Liefeld and getting other creators on the books.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

I mean he started with "Not X-Force", Jim Lee and Mark Silvestri had their "Not X-Men", as good as the book became, Larsen had "Not Hulk" (so did Dale Keown). Even Spawn's chains were suspiciously web looking early on.

Image started as not marvel, it's just that most of the creators expanded while Liefeld was not the writing force he thought he was.

Yeah, but Liefeld's Fighting American was literally just changing the costume on pages he'd already drawn for Captain America

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's what I do.

It sucks having to have multiple devices to read on, but so it goes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lmao of all things

https://twitter.com/laurapdavison/status/1621610380496699392

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I flew home from Reykjavík last night and let me tell you, I was not expecting to see a huge Silver Sable mural in the airport

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've been guilty of bringing a bunch of books to get signed, but only when there wasn't any line behind me. Keith Giffen signed dozens of books for me less than a decade ago for free, but when I met J.M. DeMatteis in 2019, he was charging around $5 per signature (or was it $10?), so I had to make some choices. When I met Matt Fraction, he was happy to signed about a dozen books, but he asked for donations to the Hero Initiative (and I left $20).

Chris Claremont would only sign one book for free and you had to pay for the rest. Some people brought entire longboxes on dollies, and I brought a few books, but decided at the last minute to just ask him to sign one comic: Marvel Team-Up #74, where Spider-Man met the original Saturday Night Live cast. That one really blew his mind, and he had a great time reminiscing to his handlers and the people in line around us about it. Years later, I got the artist, Bob Hall, to sign that issue too.

But when I met Fabian Nicieza, he was charging to sign copies of New Mutants #98 (the first appearance of Deadpool), but he was overjoyed when I brought him the four issues of his Adventures of Captain America miniseries, which I had already gotten signed by Kevin Maguire as a teenager in the '90s. He said nobody had brought him those to sign in many years -- it was almost all Deadpool fanboys. It seemed like that made his day, especially because I gushed about that miniseries.

Most recently, I met Geoff Johns at an in-store appearance in October, where he and the store were hyping his new Image miniseries, Junkyard Joe. You had to buy a "ticket" in advance, for either $50 for four signatures or $40 for two signatures, but it included Junkyard Joe #1 for free (and he would sign that too), and you could return to the store with the ticket to get Junkyard Joe #2-5 for free as they came out over the next few months (and they would stamp the card for every issue). I wanted him to sign six books, so I paid $90 for both kinds of cards, but I'm ending up with two complete series of Junkyard Joe (with two signed #1s), for what it's worth. I haven't read any of it yet, since #5 comes out next month.

I actually missed a Frank Miller signing at the same store yesterday, because they were asking for $130 for a single signature, and even I can't justify that. I would have loved to get six signatures from him, but even if I could swing the price, I could not have chosen just one.

My list of top creators I still want to meet and get signatures from:
Brian Bendis (met him over 20 years ago, but my favorite works of his had not come out yet)
Mark Waid
Ed Brubaker (a West Coast guy who has never made a Florida appearance)
James Robinson (same)
Mike Allred (same)
Brian K. Vaughan (same)
John Layman (same)
Chip Zdarsky (same, but Canadian)
John Ostrander

As for non-comic guests, my best friend is a lifelong Trekkie as well as a comic fan, and I paid for both of us to get a photo op with William Shatner back in 2016, which meant the world to him. We're going to MegaCon in early April, and we're going to get another photo op with Anson Mount (my favorite Star Trek captain ever). But those are so much more expensive than meeting 99% of comic creators.
I got a signature from Bendis like 20 years ago on the recently-released Powers Vol. 2. I imagine he's a bit more in-demand these days. Zdarsky did an appearance at a local Barnes & Noble so I got my copy of he first Sex Criminal omni signed, and also got a copy of "Just the Tips" for him to sign, too. I might have a Waid signature somewhere? I also may have continually missed him last time he was at a con I went to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bought a copy of Just The Tips when he did an appearance at a B&N near me and he wrote a free sex tip in it for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ugh I just saw that there's starting to be preorders going up for a late 2023 reprint of Vol2 of the Absolute Transmetropolitan collection, so I went off to see if that might finally be reprinting the rare-as-hens-teeth Vol3; absolutely nothing that I can find :mad:

If they're reprinting Vol. 2, it probably means they'll do Vol. 3, but if Vol. 2 is still late 2023, don't expect to hear anything until later in the year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FINALLY!!!!!

https://twitter.com/JoeMadx/status/1630671118364180480?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Invisibles was originally published through Vertigo, there's also Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

Animal Man and Morrison's run on Doom Patrol were both published as DC comics and retroactively moved to Vertigo after they were off the book. Invisibles was always Vertigo though. I think Invisibles is the only one Berger was involved in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wonder if the death of Google Reader had an effect on webcomics. I don't want to go to each webcomic I'd want to read every day to check to see if there's an update (or try to remember update schedules), but having a single feed I could check once a day was nice. If there wasn't an OOTS thread here, I don't think I'd follow it at all.

I'll never forgive Google for killing Reader.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It also had some minor social/commenting features on top of the RSS, which was nice. It was a good site, but being RSS it largely stripped ads, so of course Google killed it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got access to Bing Chat (powered by ChatGPT), and it rejects Batman can always win.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

hasn't bing chat heard of prep time

It literally mentions it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure I'd call something that's readily available digitally "difficult to find," myself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

They are not talking about digital
Doesn't matter. Not being in print in dead tree format does not make something difficult to find or unavailable to English audiences via completely legal means, nevermind less than methods.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're fine. Amazon sucks in a lot of ways (both as a company and a storefront), but almost everything is on there and available.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tosk posted:

I attempted Homestuck a few times way back in the day. I remember reaching a particularly long animation that marked an important point in the story (it was literally so long ago that this is my recollection of whatever it was).

I've been reading more webcomics lately after not doing so for many, many years outside KSBD. Is it worth it to go through Homestuck from start to finish at this point?

How hard has Order of the Stick fallen off? I remember reading that up to date multiple times over a span of years at least a decade ago.

edit: otherwise, I recently read Vattu and Prince of Sartar and really enjoyed both, any recommendations in that vein would be much appreciated

Order of the Stick is still really good but still very meandering and probably has awhile to go.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is this digital comics but make it gatcha?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a read order anywhere for the Radiant Black stuff? The Reddit sub doesn't really have a good one, shockingly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I buy them for things I really love.

I don't think I'd buy a ROM hardcover.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat that *is* a great list of creators! I might have to go this year

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jeff Smith announced a collection of the pre-comic book Bone comic strips.

https://twitter.com/jeffsmithsbone/status/1681305288421539844

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I proooooobably wouldn't expect an art book to appreciate much, but also if you're buying something because you want its value to appreciate, you're buying for the wrong reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat, Clerks 3 must not have done well at all!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

4 million box office off a 7 million budget, so no, not really
I legitimately didn't realize it had a theatrical release at all

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been a few times and it can get busy, but not too bad.

I forgot it was this weekend and given my wife has covid, I think I'm going to be stuck at home all weekend.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goddammit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can confirm I also have not had sex with J Edgar Hoover

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Jeff Smith has a kickstarter up to reprint the Thorn college strips that were basically the prototype of Bone:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cartoonbooks/thorn-the-complete-proto-bone-college-strips-1982-1986

I'm trying to decide if I want the hard cover when I know the quality is going to be rough...

Hell yeah, definitely getting the HC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rebel Moon is Snyder's rejected Star Wars pitch being made into a Netflix movie. This is a prequel comic to said movie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The two shops in my city are so physically small there's no room for back issue boxes. They largely deal in new releases and TBPs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope they don't have to mess with Zombie Tramp's deep lore to fit them together

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Medullah posted:

Guys seems like a solid deal, should I go for it?

Copies sold for $1600 on Ebay, so this is a $100 discount. I think you should go for it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Zenescope is doing a Kickstarter for a new Van Helsing series. It’s an interesting take on the character, instead of the classic Peter Cushing type, in this series Van Helsing is a sexy woman who wears a corset.

Yeah you said it was a Zenescope comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I was looking through the miscellaneous M section hoping for a misfiled issue of Marneus Calgar (no luck) but I did find this. What is this, it looks awesome

It's First Publishing's Meta 4, OP