Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ruddiger posted:

I hope all my favorite indie artists make a stupid amount of money this year.

The project I’m looking forward to the most is Dandy Don Simpson’s unofficial 30 year follow up to the Image Comics 1963 series, titled WHENELSE? and which he’s currently sharing for free on his Facebook page. Watching the project come together from a single pin-up to a 70 page giant that still feels as relevant and topical as ever was something magical.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2506361662830094&type=3&flite=scwspnss

This is awesome! I loved 1963

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RevKrule posted:

Doesn't Heroes Reborn have some incredibly infamously bad art? Like Captain America and his weird bulgey chest bad art? I seem to remember another artist who's name starts with L being more well known for Heroes Reborn than Lee.

I don't know what you're talking about this is 100% medically accurate

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Madkal posted:

From my understanding it was also a big deal because Marvel farmed out those title's artwork to some Image guys (Liefeld, Lee) and it was supposed to be a big deal.

Yeah it was a huge deal at the time for us comic nerds. The great image migration was super exciting, and the big guns coming to an agreement years later to come back to marvel was awesome too. Gave me (unwarranted) hope that McFarlane would go back to Spider-Man and Jim Lee back to X-Men full time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Madkal posted:

Liefeld then took his unfinished Captain America stuff back to Image/whatever his studio was and did a "totally not a Captain America " Captain America ripoff

I mean he started with "Not X-Force", Jim Lee and Mark Silvestri had their "Not X-Men", as good as the book became, Larsen had "Not Hulk" (so did Dale Keown). Even Spawn's chains were suspiciously web looking early on.

Image started as not marvel, it's just that most of the creators expanded while Liefeld was not the writing force he thought he was.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Dale Keon absolutely had a “not hulk”, but savage dragon wasn’t hulk.

Joe Fisto posted:

The only real commonality between Dragon and Hulk is skin color, and sadly of all people with the same skin color seem the same….

I guess I was stretching on that one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

NLJP posted:

Hey I hope this isn't a question everybody is tired of answering but I've been thinking of getting an e-reader again, I really need to get back into reading. Now that's one thing but of course all reasonable ones are black and white and I'd still like to read comics too. I could just stick to manga but wondered if one of you had a good suggestion for a reasonable book and comic reading experience both?

Honestly the Kindle reading experience is so great I use an Oasis for books and then read comics on my Windows tablet. The screen on the tablet just doesn't feel great when reading black and white books, the e-ink is 100% better

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

I was just throwing down on this notion in the Funny Panels thread (with that Hulk page), but what is in the Marvel Kool Aid to think Dragon is a "Not Hulk". He's an amnesiac everyman who becomes a cop for a while, a Bruce Willis-esque hard boiled chill funny guy, who is kind of short, is also green. Larsen was drawing him since he was a kid, and had a bunch of self-published Dragon stories in the 80s, long before Hulk had his phase of being handsome and eloquent. They are both green? It's such an odd comparison, and so silly to try and write-off Savage Dragon as being similar to Hulk.

Yeah I apologized a few posts after that. I haven't read Savage Dragon since the 90s so big strong green guy was all I really thought of

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

The man is a moron of colossal proportions.

He's that kid we all knew growing up who's uncle worked at Nintendo, his other uncle was a backup goalie for the Detroit Red Wings, and he was going to space camp next summer and was actually getting to go to space. He just never grew out of it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

People like them signed on the cover because they generally get them graded after signature. Unfortunately signed comics actually hurt the value of a book more often than not because you have to have proof that the creator signed it (COA at a modern convention, I've heard CGC will accept pictures of you with the artist for older stuff).

Otherwise it's a book with writing damage on it. So good for nostalgia

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've been going to conventions and having creators sign my comics since I was a pre-teen in the early '90s. I don't have any certificates of authenticity for any of them, but I have a lot of photos of myself with them, at least from the past 20 years. I've sold plenty of the signed books over time, and I've never been accused of forging the signatures, but they haven't exactly added much to the value either (except for a few fellow fans of the creators who took me at my word).

Still, I love meeting the creators and getting to chat a bit with them, and I have a list of people I still hope to meet at future cons. It is one of my favorite things to do as a collector, especially now that I'm buying fewer new comics but have more opportunities to take short trips to meet lifelong favorite creators.

Yeah don't get me wrong, it's 100% worth it to get books signed by creators for yourself, and if you're looking to sell it you still can get some value if you try. I'm referring more to actual graded books - if I got my Wolverine #50 signed by Silvestri graded officially it would be marked down based on the signature. But that's not the whole world of selling books

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That makes sense. I've never gotten a comic graded or slabbed by CGC or anything like that.

I did one round of them with my most valuable books, got a 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man 361 that I'm hoping will fund my retirement.

After that if there's a book I have that I was considering getting graded I just flat out bought a graded copy on ebay since it's such a stupid expensive process.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Old man Medullah just misses the days when comic conventions weren't the craziness they are these days and it was easy to walk up to an artist and get signatures and just hang out with them. I remember when Jim Lee came to a Detroit Comic Con in the 90s and was charging something nominal like $20 for an autograph and it was abhorrent heh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I guess I'm thinking more of the non comic guests. You used to be able to walk up to movie and TV celebrities tables and shoot the poo poo with them, but it was generally genre stars and cons weren't too crowded back in the day.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sad news for Stargirl fans: Lee Moder, the artist who co-created Stars and STRIPE with Geoff Johns, passed away at 53 years old, way too young:
https://comicbook.com/comics/news/stargirl-co-creator-lee-moder-obituary

drat the last couple years have been brutal for comic fans

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I had a nightmare where I was looking at my bookshelf (I did a lot of book re-arranging last night so that was only natural) and I kept finding more and more volumes of Cerebus. Like, dozens and dozens.

e: Darkhawk was one of the 90s capeless batmen, right?

How dare you, they're nowhere near the same!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I guess Daredevil isn't Batman with a spiked belt then, either?

Of course not, Daredevil is blind as a.......crap

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kestral posted:

Are there any good modern choices for reading comics on PC? Not so much managing collections as for just having a pleasant reading experience. I've been using ComicRack for... God, at least a decade, and it's always been kind of janky and is now apparently abandoned. It feels like there must be something new out there, but all the ones I've been able to find have been focused on the "managing a giant collection" aspect of things.

Cdisplay is my no frills easy reader, but I primarily use Cover as it acts like Plex for conics and can retrieve books from OneDrive while tracking progress and such.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Frog Act posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a fairly mainstream comic that was about like, the first tier of the afterlife, something about cops and helping people through the land of death or something. It has an acronym title like BPRD, I think. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

RIPD, made into a movie with Ryan Reynolds. :D

Edit - Not sure if that matches the plot since I never saw it or read it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Collecting question, what do you guys recommended for protecting books out on display? I'm setting up the wall in my office to display my graded books along with some other key ones, I figure the standard bags they're in don't have UV protection and are fairly flimsy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fangz posted:

I think Superman shouldn't look too muscular because he has to be able to put on a pair of glasses and come off as a dweeb.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Anyone read DP7? I’m going through my comics and putting together stuff for an auction, and I had this on the block. But I noticed it’s a complete series by Gruenwald, so looking for thoughts. I’m going to read at least the first few issues, but always interested in opinions from BSS people.

It's funny, I got some random issue of that from a rack when I was really young and loved it. When I got old enough to go hunting I couldn't find any issues of it whatsoever. It was a real bummer because young me read that single issue like 50 times.

So I don't have an answer for you but it made me remember

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'll use boxes if they're like 50% or less full, otherwise if they're getting closer I bought a bunch of cheap towels on Amazon and mold them to fit in the box.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Looking at this I realized maybe it’s weird I have my dividers with labels before the comic series they represent instead of after

That's how I had them before I redid then with better dividers. Behind just made more sense to me, I've seen both in the wild

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah there's a lot of fancy cabinets people have made and I've been tempted to hire a woodworker to build one for me but ultimately I have other expenses that take priority

Example.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’d love to get some fancy rear end cabinets for my comics down the line. I did end up finding these, however, which is exactly what I was picturing in my mind when I was looking for something

Oh poo poo that's really cool.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

AvesPKS posted:

So in The Boys/Highland Laddie, Hughie's lived all his life on an island with fulmars, but didn't know what one was until an American showed up to tell him? Seems pretty unlikely.

We're taking the same Hughie who dated Annie for a while without realizing she was Starfire

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I always liked the Jim Lee designed Storm outfit. I find that the X-Men generally have pretty bad costumes (see Gambit), but that version of Storm looks really sharp.

Hey Gambit could always be worse...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I absolutely believe Ennis could write a good Etrigan, he wrote the best Constantine who Alan Moore created in the same run of Swamp Thing (and I think Moore's version of Jason Blood was like a prototype for Constantine but he realized he couldn't do with a Jack Kirby character what he wanted so he made a new one).

Where did Ennis write Etrigan? I thought I'd read most of his big two comics (Hitman being an embarrassing gap I plan to fix).

site posted:

I'm pretty sure etrigan showed up for a couple issues of hitman

Yeah he was in a few Hitman arcs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Matt Ryan's Constantine show was actually pretty decent and had some stories straight from the comics. He also played him on Legends of Tomorrow and in my opinion played him pretty well for "how would John actually handle being in a sitation like this". Pretty sure it's streaming on Max.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Legends of Tomorrow is on Netflix, Constantine (the tv series with Matt Ryan) isn't streaming for free anywhere but you can buy it digitally from Apple or Google or Amazon.

Wasn't sure if it was one of the shows removed from Max, my subscription lapsed and I'm in no rush to renew

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't know why they would have removed it. It's not like the residuals would have cost them much, no one is watching it.

The actor is great but honestly that was a pretty boring show.

Max just went crazy removing a ton of comic shows, mostly animated. They have been huge assholes lately.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gripweed posted:

From what I understand it’s strangely depressing and everyone dies.

I actually liked it BUT the Clerks timeline has been real close to my own life so seeing the chapter end was more effective to me than it might be to others.

Not everyone dies but they do a nasty trick where they telegraph Randall dying after his heart attack but they do a swap and kill of Dante at the end, which is extra fuckin sad because he never accomplished anything in life

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Michel Fiffe's put together a lit of comic stores who still have dollar bin back issues, I never realized what a shrinking pool that is, I used to love dollar bin diving, but I guess with the univerality of the internet it's getting harder and harder to find those diamonds in the rough now that the comic market's fallen into speculation hell once again.

http://michelfiffe.com/?page_id=9802

My LCS moved about 10-15 years ago, and when I went to their new location I was shocked to see that they just plain stopped selling back issues. Owner told me it was partially because the area they were in had specific zoning laws that prevented "flea markets", which would include them if they sold used comics. But ultimately he told me it was just a plain smart decision, most of his money was coming from Pokemon and Funko crap these days anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Guys seems like a solid deal, should I go for it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Watching Echo and I think to myself "It's cool that a newer Daredevil character has her own series! I remember her first appearance!"

I look it up....the "new" character is almost 25 years old.

I am an old gently caress.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

The joke is most people who like Deadpool like him for stories Liefeld had nothing to do with.

Didn't X-Force get to the point where Liefeld just wasn't even involved in the scripts and just drew pages that had dialogue added later? I vaguely remember a panel where Shatterstar is screaming with his sword drawn but the dialogue was something like "I see, that's a good point"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Soonmot posted:

A discord I'm in was talking about Fable a few weeks ago, warning a new reader about Willingham's agenda in the later books. I was curious to see how they held up since I haven't read them in years and within the first couple pages, Snow White is already saying that social programs are government coddling, so I guess the signs were always there the whole time .

Ugh is he a chud? I haven't thought of him since Fables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RevKrule posted:

And how! He's an extreme zionist and incorporates that pretty heavily into Fables too. It starts very small and subtle and as the series grew in popularity he become much more obvious about it.

I read through the entire series but that was when I was innocent and didn't pay attention to politics. :(

I actually have the revival of it in my pulls but haven't read it yet...guess I'll cancel that