Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

JordanKai posted:

Happy 2023, everyone! :toot:

What are your new year's comic book reading resolutions? I've been meaning to get around to get into the IDW Transformers series for a while, and I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet this year. I want to see those big robots smash and crash into each other.

IDW's Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye series (and its sequel, Transformers: Lost Light), both written by James Roberts, are the best Transformers fiction ever, as far as I'm concerned. The art is excellent throughout, and the stories have a little bit of everything -- sci-fi adventure with moments of real drama, comic relief, horror, and even romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

This year I vow to borrow more trades/ogns from the library. Also finally read Taylor's Nightwing run because it should (eventually) be available in softcover. Maybe.

If your library offers free Hoopla subscriptions to download comics, e-books, audiobooks, movies, and music, you are in for such a thrill. A lot will depend on how many borrows they allow per month -- my local system allows four, but my parents' Hoopla account through the Miami-Dade Public Library System allows a whopping 20. But Hoopla should have a staggering selection of collected editions and some single issues from all the major publishers.

And yes -- Taylor's Nightwing is on there, and it is one of those comics that lives up to all the hype.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Garcia seems pretty cool. Gay, Latino, son of immigrants, very progressive policies, seems to genuinely care about people, and a comic book nerd.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roth posted:

Any highlight runs from DC/Marvel from the past year?

Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo's Nightwing
Chip Zdarsky and Marco Checchetto's Daredevil and Devil's Reign miniseries
Tom King and Greg Smallwood's Human Target

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Adventureman by Fraction and the a
Dodsons is one of the prettiest and most fun comics out right now. The first nine issues are collected in two gorgeously designed slightly oversized hardcovers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been going to conventions and having creators sign my comics since I was a pre-teen in the early '90s. I don't have any certificates of authenticity for any of them, but I have a lot of photos of myself with them, at least from the past 20 years. I've sold plenty of the signed books over time, and I've never been accused of forging the signatures, but they haven't exactly added much to the value either (except for a few fellow fans of the creators who took me at my word).

Still, I love meeting the creators and getting to chat a bit with them, and I have a list of people I still hope to meet at future cons. It is one of my favorite things to do as a collector, especially now that I'm buying fewer new comics but have more opportunities to take short trips to meet lifelong favorite creators.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That makes sense. I've never gotten a comic graded or slabbed by CGC or anything like that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've been guilty of bringing a bunch of books to get signed, but only when there wasn't any line behind me. Keith Giffen signed dozens of books for me less than a decade ago for free, but when I met J.M. DeMatteis in 2019, he was charging around $5 per signature (or was it $10?), so I had to make some choices. When I met Matt Fraction, he was happy to signed about a dozen books, but he asked for donations to the Hero Initiative (and I left $20).

Chris Claremont would only sign one book for free and you had to pay for the rest. Some people brought entire longboxes on dollies, and I brought a few books, but decided at the last minute to just ask him to sign one comic: Marvel Team-Up #74, where Spider-Man met the original Saturday Night Live cast. That one really blew his mind, and he had a great time reminiscing to his handlers and the people in line around us about it. Years later, I got the artist, Bob Hall, to sign that issue too.

But when I met Fabian Nicieza, he was charging to sign copies of New Mutants #98 (the first appearance of Deadpool), but he was overjoyed when I brought him the four issues of his Adventures of Captain America miniseries, which I had already gotten signed by Kevin Maguire as a teenager in the '90s. He said nobody had brought him those to sign in many years -- it was almost all Deadpool fanboys. It seemed like that made his day, especially because I gushed about that miniseries.

Most recently, I met Geoff Johns at an in-store appearance in October, where he and the store were hyping his new Image miniseries, Junkyard Joe. You had to buy a "ticket" in advance, for either $50 for four signatures or $40 for two signatures, but it included Junkyard Joe #1 for free (and he would sign that too), and you could return to the store with the ticket to get Junkyard Joe #2-5 for free as they came out over the next few months (and they would stamp the card for every issue). I wanted him to sign six books, so I paid $90 for both kinds of cards, but I'm ending up with two complete series of Junkyard Joe (with two signed #1s), for what it's worth. I haven't read any of it yet, since #5 comes out next month.

I actually missed a Frank Miller signing at the same store yesterday, because they were asking for $130 for a single signature, and even I can't justify that. I would have loved to get six signatures from him, but even if I could swing the price, I could not have chosen just one.

My list of top creators I still want to meet and get signatures from:
Brian Bendis (met him over 20 years ago, but my favorite works of his had not come out yet)
Mark Waid
Ed Brubaker (a West Coast guy who has never made a Florida appearance)
James Robinson (same)
Mike Allred (same)
Brian K. Vaughan (same)
John Layman (same)
Chip Zdarsky (same, but Canadian)
John Ostrander

As for non-comic guests, my best friend is a lifelong Trekkie as well as a comic fan, and I paid for both of us to get a photo op with William Shatner back in 2016, which meant the world to him. We're going to MegaCon in early April, and we're going to get another photo op with Anson Mount (my favorite Star Trek captain ever). But those are so much more expensive than meeting 99% of comic creators.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 5, 2023

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RevKrule posted:

I've seen people do the very polite thing of telling the fan they'll happily sign all those books but after everyone else is done so the line keeps moving. That feels like the best compromise for people who will sign anything and everything and people who show up with anything and everything.

I've literally gotten back in line multiple times for the same creator, bringing out just a few books every time. It's only polite, and I'm always super-gracious.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Jurgens signed my Booster Gold #1, along with the first five TPBs of the newer series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Sad news for Stargirl fans: Lee Moder, the artist who co-created Stars and STRIPE with Geoff Johns, passed away at 53 years old, way too young:
https://comicbook.com/comics/news/stargirl-co-creator-lee-moder-obituary

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Someone's been posting a bunch of Spawn comics in chronological order over on /co/ and so for the first time I've been properly sitting down and reading them and yeah now I'm definitely starting to see why for a while it was one of the big books in the industry, the writing and dialogue are mostly average but the art is fantastic(particularly when compared to some of the other Image published comics of the time*) and so far these have been surprisingly enjoyable and even breezy comics to read in spite of all the 90's edge they're slathered with

*so far besides the first 10 issues of Spawn I've also read through an issue each of Dark Hawk and Young Blood as part of this and both are way worse than Spawn in basically every respect(though Bad Rock's whole shtick of "average teenager who also happens to be a super powered giant rock person" is a fun one)

Shadowhawk? Shadowhawk was an original Image book from Jim Valentino from 1992. Darkhawk came out around the same time from Marvel and was also super-generic.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey folks, if anyone has particular back issues or trade paperbacks that are eluding them, I am surrounded by great comic shops and would be happy to check and pick things up for cost plus shipping (and Paypal fees, so I break even).

I don't buy a lot, but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, browsing the bins, giving business to these shops, and helping fellow collectors. I even have store credit at some of these shops with nothing to spend it on (for myself), so you'd be helping me out too.

I have been dealing in SA-Mart for many years, and I've gotten to know a lot of the BSS regulars over this time, so you know my intentions are good. I also have 100% positive eBay feedback as bigbadvoodoolou, going back all the way to 1999. So if something remains out of reach, I pride myself on finding things that can't be found.

Just a thought.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 26, 2023

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

They cast a guy for the next Superman film and I guess people are saying he's too skinny, which is dumb as poo poo to talk about, he's gonna have a dietician and personal trainer and pharmacist giving him everything he needs to be super jacked by the time they start filming (which is going to be a while since there's a writer's strike and I doubt James Gunn will hire a scab to write it), but it reminded me, I want to see a live action depiction of a Superman who doesn't actually look fit, either super skinny or with a bit of paunch, because the way you look jacked is in addition to diet and some pharmaceuticals, is pushing your body to the point of failure, and Superman would never actually do that very often. Like, before swim suit season does he think "oh I've put on a few pounds, I better go move Mars back and forth a few hours a day"?

Gunn wrote the script himself, and apparently he finished it before the writers' strike.

Also, Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane is one of the all-time best superhero movie casting choices, up there with Reeve, Downey, Evans, Stewart, McKellan, and Jackman. She will be absolutely perfect.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today I bought my ticket (and my flight) to Baltimore Comic Con. I'm just going for the Saturday -- arriving early in the morning and flying home that evening. It has one of the best guest lists of creators I've ever seen at any convention, anywhere, so I'll be wheeling a good-sized piece of luggage full of books to get signed.

https://baltimorecomiccon.com/guests/

Bendis and Waid are the two biggest draws for me, after citing their work so heavily in that Daredevil article I wrote back in 2018. I met them both at cons here in Florida in the early 2000s, back when I barely owned any of their work and before either of them ever wrote Daredevil, but they both have a habit of canceling con appearances at the last minute in more recent years. I'm hoping for the best this time around.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 8, 2023

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You can put a small box (or a larger box) behind the comics to take up space inside the longbox and cut down on the flopping. I have been saving G.I. Joe and Transformer action figure boxes, and they fit perfectly.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I watched a great new documentary on Amazon Prime Video called Dave Stevens: Drawn to Perfection. I had always been a fan of Stevens' gorgeous art, and I loved The Rocketeer movie, but never knew a lot about the man, except that he befriended Bettie Page in her later years and died way too young. It's a really interesting documentary that goes deeper into Stevens' life and creative process, and it has a lot of talking head interviews with some important figures in comics from the '70s and '80s.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I will pop up to declare my undying love for Joe Casey's Wildcats as well. The really good stuff is:

Wildcats (volume 2) #8-28
Wildcats 3.0 #1-24

There has never been another superhero comic quite like it. You also get some beautiful art by Sean Phillips and Dustin Nguyen, and even a Steve Dillon fill-in.

Wildcats (volume 2) #1-6 is kind of mediocre (written by Scott Lobdell), but there is some GORGEOUS art by Travis Charest to balance it out. And #7 is a fill-in issue that I recall being so bad and so poorly received at the time that it was left out of the trade paperbacks.

Before that, on WildC.A.T.s (volume 1), Alan Moore himself wrote #21-34 and a short story wrapping up some of his loose ends in #50. I highly recommend those too, possibly even before you get to Casey's material so you get to know the characters better. The run is hampered by its involvement in two Wildstorm crossover events, but soldier through it.

And Moore's WildC.A.T.s run provides important background for Ed Brubaker and Colin Wilson's Point Blank miniseries, which is itself a prequel to Brubaker and Sean Phillips' brilliant Sleeper, still my favorite of all of Brubaker and Phillips' collaborations.

Finally, make sure you read Coup D'Etat, which is a crossover between Sleeper, Stormwatch: Team Achilles (the writer was later disgraced for faking military service), Wildcats 3.0, and The Authority.

One thing I haven't read in close to 20 years is Hawksmoor: The Secret History of the Authority. Was it any good? I don't remember, but I LOVED Mike Costa's Cobra comics (best G.I. Joe fiction ever, and I always recommend them highly), and Fiona Staples went on to become a hugely talented and popular artist on Saga.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I liked Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch's Authority (volume 1, #1-12) well enough 20+ years ago, but now it might feel a bit dated, with its ultra-violence, exhaustingly high stakes, high body counts, and tough-guy one-liners.

While it was arguably even more popular, I was turned off by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely's Authority run that followed, with somehow even more ultra-violence and an ugly, mean-spirited reliance on shock value. Classic Millar, in other words.

I know I read the Ed Brubaker and Dustin Nguyen run (a separate 12-issue miniseries), but as much as I love both of those creators, it didn't work for me at all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lucifunk posted:

You can really tell with a lot of books of that era that Bush Jr was president and that America had gone crazy after 9/11. I feel like Marvel leaned into that anger and bloodlust vibe of the time more than most other comic companies. A doesn't stand for France is one of the stupidest, ignorant of history rear end lines of that era. Civil War ended with the government winning. It was a bad scene and I'm glad it's much less common outside of CG nonsense these days.

That was Millar... and Millar. Go figure. I'm sure he has written some good things (I did like his innocuous Superman Adventures run), but now his name on a comic is enough to keep me away from it. Too much edge-lord cynicism and reliance on brutality and rape for "dark humor." Garth Ennis was always better at that stuff anyway, and I even feel like I outgrew his work.

In his Captain America run (I think in the very first issue), Ed Brubaker had Cap reminisce about World War II, about how the French people never gave up or stopped fighting the Nazis even when their government did. That had to be a clap-back against Millar's ugly, jingoistic Ultimate Cap.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 10, 2023

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Ultimates was some good satire at the time. The scary thing was the people who didn’t realize it was satire.

See also: Fight Club.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

AvesPKS posted:

The story is fine in issue 1vol 1, but the character designs are just taking me back to the mid-late 90s where everything is exxxxxtrrrrreeeeemmmmeeeeeee and why does that guy have a random ponytail and why does that lady look like a Silverhawk and of course they have a big giant guy on the team. Issue 1 of 3.0 grabbed me a little bit more but I'd just feel remiss if I didn't read Moore's run first.

I always loved Spartan's costumes (the Jim Lee red, white, and blue look, the later Travis Charest version with the headsock instead of the mask, and Dustin Nguyen's shiny silver business suit) and Grifter's mask. Both had multiple "toyetic" looks that have outlasted most other Wildstorm character designs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I didn't like the Grifter figure that McFarlane released in the DC Multiverse line, but the head was great. I got a cheap one and put the head on an Alpha Commando Snake Eyes body.

Now it scales perfectly with all my 6" DC Direct and DC Universe Classics figures, as well as with my G.I. Joe Classified collection.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Soonmot posted:

On that note, what you say are the top ten character designs in comics? Superman, batman, Spiderman are all right there at the top, any of those could be number 1. What makes a good character design?

Some of my all-time favorite character designs:
Nightwing's black and blue costume (I prefer the late '90s version where the blue forms a "V" on his chest to the current one that forms a bird head)
Reuben Flagg and the Plexus Rangers (Howard Chaykin's American Flagg)
The Rocketeer
Grendel (Matt Wagner's design for Hunter Rose; another perfect mask, like Grifter)
Spartan from Wildcats (all his various looks, from Jim Lee to Travis Charest to Dustin Nguyen's shiny suit)
Golden Age Sandman (particularly the Mystery Theatre version, with the earth-toned suit, trench coat, and fedora and the World War I-era gas mask)
Blue Beetle (all three are actually pretty great, but Ted Kord's costume is a favorite)
Booster Gold (with and without the collar)
The Flash (especially the '90s Wally West version with a darker, shinier red, gold instead of yellow, and the lightning bolt belt forming a "V" in the front; it lets you know everything the character is about)
Captain America (especially the World War II version from the First Avenger movie and the armored-looking Marvel Now version, with the wings as designs on the side of his helmet, rather than sticking out of his head)
Moon Knight (the classic version and the black and white Declan Shalvey design)
Hawkeye (David Aja's 2012 update -- a perfect modernization)
Catwoman (Darwyn Cooke's 2001-ish update with the black bodysuit with the zipper, the cat mask with the big goggles, and the large but short boots)
Golden Age Vigilante (a singing cowboy stuntman from 1940s Hollywood, decked out in red, white, and blue)
Daredevil (Marco Checchetto's modern update with two shades of red and additional details, but not the baggy red and black ninja suit)
Deadshot (Marshall Rogers' design that lasted from the '70s through the New 52 launch in 2011; love the mask and the ridiculous wrist guns)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

For something slightly more modern, Jamie Delano's Captain Marvel costume for Carol Danvers was loving fire.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Which one is the Delano design? I didn't see one on a quick google.

Jamie McKelvie, not Jamie Delano (who is best known as the first Hellblazer writer in the late '80s).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just packed a rolling carry-on bag way too full of comics, TPBs, and hardcovers to get signed at Baltimore Comic Con on Saturday. I fly in that morning and fly home that evening.

My agenda of people to meet (even though I've met many of them before):
Brian Bendis
Mark Waid
Arthur Adams
Kevin Maguire
Ron Garney
Jim Cheung
David Mack
Wade Von Grawbadger
Tom King
J.G. Jones
Chris Claremont
Walt Simonson
Louise Simonson
Al Milgrom
Cully Hamner
Bob Wiacek
Koi Pham
Klaus Janson
DANHAUSEN

Has anyone been to Baltimore Comic Con before? The creator guest list is one of the best I've ever seen, like when I attended HeroesCon in 2019. I'm just hoping the Saturday isn't too chaotic and crowded.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mutantIke posted:

Oh yeah I should absolutely include some Kyle Baker stuff, his Plastic Man comic is legendary. Good thinking. Definitely gonna try to include at least mentions of underground names like Crumb and Clowes and whatnot. Will check out Freak Bros.

The original twelve issues of The Tick by Ben Edlund are hilarious and have aged exceptionally well.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber is great, and so is Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen by Matt Fraction and Steve Lieber. Lieber has surpassed the legendary Kevin Maguire as master of the expressive face for incredible comedic reactions, and both books are so good and funny.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I came here to share the same link. I am absolutely destroyed right now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Giffen is one of my favorite comic book writers OF ALL TIME, and one of the people most responsible for shaping my sense of humor and love of superhero comics from a very young age. I am heartbroken.

Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis wrote the hugely influential Justice League International (later Justice League America) series, which made me a lifelong fan of its two breakout characters, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. They were best friends and regular guys -- a brilliant nerd from the present and a self-absorbed jock from the future -- trying their best to be superheroes. They often screwed up, but could at least laugh about it. JLI/JLA was a superhero team presented as a dysfunctional workplace sitcom, and it was so far ahead of its time, you wouldn't believe it.

I met Giffen at Florida Supercon in Miami Beach several years ago. He patiently signed every comic I brought and listened to me mark out about what an important influence he was on my life, from my elementary school years to the present.

At HeroesCon in Charlotte, North Carolina, in 2019, I was lucky enough to attend a panel with Giffen AND DeMatteis reminiscing about their time co-writing the Justice League books and riffing off each other, like two old-timey vaudeville or Borscht Belt comedians.

Some people may not realize Giffen also co-created Rocket Raccoon in the '80s and relaunched the Guardians of the Galaxy as a comic in the late 2000s, putting together Star Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, Groot, and Mantis for the first time. Those movies exist because of his work. And he also co-created the newer, more popular Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes, who just got a movie.

RIP to one of the greats -- an unsung hero of the industry, and a hero of mine as well. May Keith Giffen's memory be a blessing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone ever read Maze Agency, the mystery series by Mike W. Barr? Comico first published it in 1988, and Innovation took over after Comico went bust. It is probably most notable for having some issues drawn by a young Adam Hughes, who went on to draw Justice League America and then became a superstar.

I am just starting to watch Moonlighting on Hulu, which combines two of my favorite genres: detective stories and "screwball" comedies with fast-paced, witty banter. Maze Agency sure sounds like it was influenced by Moonlighting (which first aired in 1985), but I was wondering if it was any good, beyond the early Hughes artwork.

I kind of like being on the hunt for out-of-print rarities, like how I pieced together complete runs of the '80s Vigilante series and the horror anthology Wasteland (which I still haven't had time to read). I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and having things just out of my grasp, but I don't want to waste my time, effort, and money if the comics aren't worth it.

I went to a comic shop today, about an hour from home, that has been selling back issues (either miniseries, story arcs, or relatively short completed series) as decently priced sets. They didn't have any Maze Agency, but I saw a bunch of '80s rarities that I remember from DC house ads from the same era: stuff like Silver Blade, Skreemer, Nathaniel Dusk P.I., and Crimson Avenger, as well as more mainstream miniseries like Millennium, Invasion, and Zero Hour. I think that is fantastic, especially for obscurities that were never collected into trade paperbacks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

UwUnabomber posted:

I finished the first volume of Local Man yesterday. I really liked the art, story was good enough I'm gonna read the next volume when it's out on Hoopla but I'm not like foaming at the mouth for it or anything.

I like retired/abdicating their position supers with kinda vague powers. The protagonist has Captain America like powers but dialed back a bit. At one point he argues with a cop about his super strength by saying something like "What do you mean super? I'm stronger than a normal man but..."

I enjoyed Local Man, but I read Youngblood and most of the other early Image books as they were (slowly) coming out in 1992-94. I've also read Alan Moore's runs on Supreme, WildC.A.T.s, and his surprisingly brilliant Youngblood courtroom drama Judgment Day. I dig deconstructions of that stuff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ed the Happy Clown

What is that comic actually about? I'll never forget seeing a cover as a younger kid that really depressed me, even though I barely remember the image itself.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Orlando MegaCon? Yup. I am NOT a fan of FanExpo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Vancouver FanExpo, I remember them pulling the same poo poo with Sorbo in Toronto a couple years ago.

Ever since FanExpo took over Orlando MegaCon, they bring out the same comic guests every year with minimal deviation, but all the budget and marketing goes to big celebrities. Carano was one of the most recent additions:
https://fanexpohq.com/megaconorlando/celebrities/

Even though I usually go to MegaCon anyway, I can't attend this year because my wife is having surgery a few days before it. I would have liked to meet Arthur Adams (again) and Peter Snejbjerg, but I need to be available to her.

But I am hoping to go to this event in a few weeks, the weekend before MegaCon:
https://www.oa-expo.com/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 10, 2024

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Jesus, Orlando MegaCon is now hyping the cast of Entourage. It has strayed so far from its roots. Even with Arthur Adams coming, I don't feel bad about missing it this year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Cross-posted in the Original Art thread:

Yesterday I went to the first-ever Original Art Expo in Orlando, Florida, which is a small convention completely devoted to comic book artists and art dealers. It was nice, because it wasn't crowded with cosplayers, Funko Pops, "nerd crafts," and C-list celebrities, but just a small crowd who loves the art of comics.

I got to meet my all-time favorite artist, Mike Allred, and his lovely wife and colorist Laura. I lugged a bunch of their comics that they patiently signed for free while chatting with me and a few other people in line, and they even let me take a photo with them. This was their first-ever convention appearance in Florida, and I've been waiting to meet them since discovering his work in the mid-'90s. They could not have been cooler or more charming. I just wish I could have afforded some original Allred art, but the cheapest, smallest pieces were "only" in the $400 - $500 range.

Then I got a Daredevil hardcover signed by father-and-son penciller/inker team Paolo and Joe Rivera, got Greg Land to sign my Birds of Prey #1 (from before his porn-tracing era), and visited two other artists I've met at previous cons for a few more signatures: Booster Gold creator Dan Jurgens and Matt Wagner, master of all things pulp and noir.

Wagner was kind enough to sketch some remarques in my Batman/Grendel trade paperback and my custom-bound Sandman Mystery Theatre hardcover books:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

I love it when artists do quick doodles along with signatures. Jeff Lemire is quite well known for doing a 10 second doodle every now and again when doing signings.

As for the Allreds I kind of wish they weren't so friendly when doing signings. I remember standing in a line for them for about 45 minutes because the guy two people ahead of me brought pretty much everything they had ever done to get signed and it just went on and on and on.

I'm afraid that was exactly me yesterday, but I was one of the first people in line to get in and the first person in line at their table for that very purpose. They were the whole reason I went. It seemed like the three or four people in line behind me were pretty patient, all things considered, and Mike and Laura chatted with all of us while they had an art rep helping facilitate sales at the same time. There was a lot of multitasking going on. It was the first thing in the morning, as soon as they arrived, and everyone was fresh and in good spirits and happy to be there.

I stood in line for Brian Bendis for two and a half hours at last year's Baltimore Comic Con. I got there an hour before the doors opened and went straight to his table, but then HE was two hours late. But the whole reason I flew out to that con was to meet him and Mark Waid and get them to sign Daredevil books for me, so I did what had to be done.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 28, 2024

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Pardon the cross-posting, but for anyone watching X-Men '97, a music mashup producer I know (who is secretly my brother) mashed up the X-Men animated series theme with Whitney Houston's "I'm Your Baby Tonight," and I think it slaps.

https://soundcloud.com/lwbuilder/youre-giving-me-x-tasy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Started reading the Fourth World Omnibus recently, and I'd forgotten how dogshit a writer Kirby was. I can appreciate the plot, but the script is like below Fletcher Hanks -level. The pacing is poo poo because of all the dialogue, and all the dialogue is pretty much as stupid as it could be.

But then there's Don Rickles so IDK.

(And I've read Captain Victory so I know it wasn't just the DC stories. Kirby simply didn't understand how to write comics.)

I have been seeing a lot of random Facebook posts from comic groups I do not belong to, mostly complaining about what a lovely writer Stan Lee was, and how he took so much credit he didn't deserve, and how the "Marvel Method" made Kirby and Ditko uncredited co-writers, and how Lee wouldn't be poo poo without them. The truth definitely lies somewhere in the middle. Stan's writing was a product of its time, but he never advanced or improved from his '60s heyday. He didn't care that much about continuity early on and desperately needed an editor, wrote horrible female characters, and kept falling back to clunky pieces of dialogue (like multiple characters always saying "You do that little thing!"). And despite all that, Kirby's dialogue and general writing was even clunkier, especially in the '70s when contemporary writers like O'Neil, Conway, and Starlin had already advanced the style.

I still think of a crowd of characters in one of Kirby's Fourth World books introducing themselves one by one in the corniest ways, like one kid saying "And *I* am the one they call Flippa Dippa!"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I found Thomas’ writing to be incredibly tedious. He was at his best when he was bringing back golden age characters, or adapting Conan. He was made for adapting Conan actually.

Thomas was a hell of a lot better than the guys who came next though. The first couple years after Stan exited were rough as guys like Englehart found their footing. For example, I think every writer tried second person narration at some point. Dogshit.

I love the Justice Society and other Golden Age characters, especially the "mystery men" types in suits, trench coats, and fedoras. And I'm a sucker for any superheroes beating up Nazis (or anyone beating up Nazis, period). But I find Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron practically unreadable. I've never read his post-Stan Lee Avengers, though.