Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gripweed posted:

I’ve resolved to play more video games, so I’m probably gonna have less time for comic books.

I really wanna upgrade my PC and play a ton of games I have missed, but my comic book reading club eats up all my time!

Gonna read so many DC events this year...

I'm also a nerd and read an X-Men Annual this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Had to pause for a bit to hammer through a couple novels by the end of the year,

I read one novel last year at about this time. Maybe I'll read another novel this year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Frog Act posted:

This is kind of a frustrating hobby, I love these books so much but they’re absurdly difficult to find and prohibitively expensive

poo poo, I tried getting some Adventure Time comics as Xmas gifts and those are out of print. It sucks how quickly most of this stuff disappears.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, my full bookshelves are why I'm mostly digital now. :roflolmao:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Roth posted:

Any highlight runs from DC/Marvel from the past year?

I'm super happy I was told to read Defenders and Defenders Beyond.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I love Matt Fraction's work, but I don't know how much Casanova or ODY-C would move or if you would be able to sell Sex Criminals.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So for digital comics what are the options other than Amazon? Because it turns out Marvel Unlimited isn't available to me, Ms.Egg tried to buy it for me as a anniversary present and it explicitly said no Canucks.

Maybe your local library? I haven't really looked at mine, but people have said they "check out" digital comics on theirs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Imagine if The Boys was actually good and excised about 50% of the gross out stuff. That's the show.

I definitely like it better than the books, but I started getting bored of the last season. Hope they don't wear out their welcome like the books did.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

jet sanchEz posted:

Good memories

I don't really go out of my way to meet "big" artists, though I get everything I buy from artist alley signed.

I did get an issue of Batgirl signed by Babs Tarr. I keep like 4 comics in each bag and board (just to make looking through my collection easier, not for protection) and she asked if I wanted her to sign all four books. "No, thank you. Just wanted to say hi, don't want to take up your time."

I did get Ben Templesmith to sign/quick sketch in a couple of TPBs. My buddy came over and accidentally knocked over Ben's drink right before he signed my third book, so we quickly helped him clean up and got the gently caress out of there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remember hearing about Gaiman saying he'd sign an unlimited number of copies of whatever new book he was promoting, but would only sign, like, 1 copy of Sandman. But it seemed to be to keep the lines moving because he'd have hundreds of people lining up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I flew home from Reykjavík last night and let me tell you, I was not expecting to see a huge Silver Sable mural in the airport

Reminds me of the local art museum. I walked in for the first time last year and fell in love with the first painting I saw.

Like 24 hours later I realized what was doing it for me.

Warlock!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Splint Chesthair posted:

Sorry! If I still had it I’d gladly send it along but it didn’t survive the last purge of my collection.

So it could be in a quarter bin somewhere once more...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

It sucks because the coloring technology at the time the classics were done was legitimately dogshit. I think my Watchmen release just has some backgrounds touched up to not be all yellow, but still match the pallet of the rest of the comic, and that's not too distracting.
But at the same time, the artist (generally) chose the colors they chose, and that should be respected.

Yeah, they recolored the first dozen or so issues of Sandman for the Absolutes (and probably use that for everything, now) and it was just taking the original work and cleaning it up.

Casanova is interesting to me. It was originally done in black and white and one color and they "colored" the issues for the collections. They kinda kept the same feel and tone, but added highlights.

The one that annoys me is Flex Mentallo. Sucked all of the color out of it, but I guess that's what Frank Quitely wanted. :shrug:

Edit: also, I've been buying my nieces the colored Bone, but I only read my B&W versions. :colbert:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 14, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Flex Mentallo is a big issue because even though it looks good (I barely saw the original colors), they turned some black characters white, and that's an issue.

I didn't know that! :mad:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

secretly best girl posted:

I was debating pulling a few webcomics out as an example too.

I've definitely been thinking about how I'm reading less webcomics than I did back in the 2000s and while a) I feel like there probably are just less by volume now, b) I kind of wonder if the issue isn't the bar feeling too high for a lot of first-timers or teens or young folk to want to stick their neck out there in an era of stronger competition and vicious online abuse.

For me, comics I've been reading end and I don't have a new comic to pick up. And, in the 00's, you find a new comic, you can catch up quickly. Now, you find a comic that's been around a decade or so and have hundreds, if not thousands, of pages to read, haha.

But, stuff jumping to social media makes it harder for me to follow, too. None of those sites let you have RSS feeds, so you gotta log in and see what's there. And problems with, like, Twitter is that all of that is randomized, so it's easy to miss something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Im pretty sure I'm speaking for about 100% of people currently alive when I ask: what the gently caress is/was google reader?

Which leads me to conclude: no, it didn't.

I feel like Google Reader going away ruined so many things.

It was the most used RSS feed reader. Others came up, but that was when most sites and people stopped keeping their RSS feeds working.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

The vast majority of the manga-buying audience wants whatever’s got a hit anime recently or what they read in middle school.

To be fair, I just want more Age of Apocalypse and Maxx...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Frog Act posted:

I've also got a copy of Howard Chaykin's American Flagg I am very excited about en route. It's been a good week for me bookwise

I got this digitally and just couldn't read it. His artwork just does not work for me and I can't read anything drawn by him. :smith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Frog Act posted:

I recently picked up the Tank Girl collection and felt the same way you did about Chaykin, I just have a really hard time parsing the extremely busy panels.

I unironically love the Tank Girl movie, but those comics also didn't hold my attention. The art worked fine for me, but there just wasn't a plot between the issues (or in the issues), so it felt like I was just reading funny sketches.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

There’s a new publisher on the horizon.

My initial reaction was old man yells at cloud, I HATE names like that. Taking out vowels isn’t clever. Stop it.

https://twitter.com/georgegustines/status/1646529792362127360?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Yeah, it's, um, not getting a good reaction in the digital comics thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611527&pagenumber=157&perpage=40&userid=0#post531153909

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's Spring.

It snowed this morning. :smithcloud:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bye, Marvel Comics App.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-app-purchases-moving-to-marvel-unlimited

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was okay with comixology, especially Image comics that included downloads of PDFs. You'd very often get sales of issues for $0.50-1.00 and it was great getting tons of stuff without filling up my already packed bookcases. Then Amazon bought them and the sales went away then comixology went away

I still grab some things if they are creator owned and give you copies that don't require a proprietary app.

Been using Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe Infinite for a book club. It is kinda nice reading dozens of random issues, but I don't see myself using them for regular reading. I just forget about new issues as they come out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Yep. It rules. Love our decaying, rent seeking culture.

I recently went through the pictures folder on my computer and I stopped saving things from the internet like 15 years ago (lots of SA Photoshop Friday things!). I should start, again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you liked Vattu, 3rd Voice recently started.

http://www.rice-boy.com/3rdvoice/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Goddamnit it’s going to be one of those stupid 100 dollar hardcovers. Why do they keep making those? Who keeps buying them?

I got $100 hardcovers of all the things I enjoyed as a teenager and almost completely stopped caring about hardcovers since then.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Aaaand, I just bought a $75 Hellblazer hardcover. But it's for a bday gift.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, thanks for the rec. :cheers: And I put most of the others in my wishlist for future gifts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Steve Dillon could draw anything you can imagine except a different face.

The book showed up today and HOLY gently caress it's huge. I really hope my cousin likes it so it doesn't eat up his bookshelf.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The press release on his site talks about how they almost didn't put these strips to print. It's worth the quick read.

https://www.boneville.com/2023/07/18/jeff-smith-returns-to-his-roots-with-a-new-collection-of-his-thorn-college-strips/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I do, but I stuff 4-6 issues per bag. It's solely to make flipping through a box easier, but turned out to be useful when I randomly got water in my apartment (some random pipe leak) and soaked through my long box!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 19, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Medullah posted:

I'll use boxes if they're like 50% or less full, otherwise if they're getting closer I bought a bunch of cheap towels on Amazon and mold them to fit in the box.

When moving, I split my books into multiple boxes half filled with blankets and towels. Half the weight!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I built this during covid lock downs. One of my first woodworking builds. I'd like to get back into the hobby and make a nicer one!

It's not even at my house at the moment. :( Left it at my mom's when I moved.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Danknificent posted:

This is a devastating day. I made the mistake of trying to read the Harley Quinn Show tie-in comics *and* found out that All Eight Eyes is apparently a limited series? And only 4 issues? Dark times.

:negative:

I picked up a Spidey comic for the first time in years (What If...? Dark Spider-Gwen) and the cover is by Greg Land.

:negative:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I never buy books based on "projected value". If I spend the money I feel comfortable spending for myself.

I've bought big hardcovers in the past, at this point only stuff I know and like. I've gotten a few things that I ended up not liking and they just sit on a shelf never to be read again. (really need to purge).

Sorry, I can't help you with an art book. Most of mine are a thing I flip through once, I personally don't get much value out of them. They can range from lots of details and information to just some pictures, based on whoever put it together.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

I would say it's unlikely to ever be cheaper, but I could be wrong. I got the X-Statix omnibus for 30 bucks because apparently no one wanted to buy it at the $110 msrp.

Gotta sell my omnibus some time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AvesPKS posted:

Also I know Warren Ellis is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it?

Heh, I'm rereading Planetary right now (Elijah sure is a jerk to people "below" him, huh). Authority and Wildcats by Joe Casey seem to be talked about as a "trilogy" of series coming out around the same time. I've never read Wildcats, but it's on my list now that I have the DC app.

Quick look at my shelf, Casanova jumped out as something that hits me the same way, though I can't say why. Crazy science stuff going on?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not the OP, but for me, I read a bit of Black Science and kinda dropped off. I think it's because I got it in a Humble Bundle with a ton of other Remender books and just was tired of reading his works by the time I got to it (Low sure was depressing!)

Manhattan Projects is great! But just peters out and doesn't seem like it will be continued.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AvesPKS posted:

Does Copra rounds 1-6 constitute the full run of Copra, or is there anything else I should be looking for?

Seems like there's a Round 7 out and a random fan-pedia says there's new issues coming out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, oof. Hopefully Jeff does a full recovery, but the prospects at his age (63) aren't particularly great. Hope I eat crow and he proves me to be utterly wrong by living to 90+, though!

My dad went through a lot of heart issues for decades and lived to 83. Hoping Jeff does better!