Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I pronounce the first syllable of Entra the same as Entry...

I don't feel so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Wait is it supposed to be awn-try?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNHZoHnp00c&t=81s
(Should be cued up to 1:21)

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I pronounce the first syllable of Entra the same as Entry

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:tipshat:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sfwarlock posted:

What is it about sitting at a computer that makes people's brains stop working? We have a third-party service that will integrate with AD for SSO Real Soon Now, but in the meantime people need to log in separately.

(Insert separate rant here about how I'm just a cruel arrogant sadist who loves to torture people by asking them politely not to "just reuse 'their' password" for logging onto a third-party service. )

Every 90 days, the service requires 2fa - that is, it sends a code to the email address that needs to be entered along with the password.

The words "A code was sent to user@company.com by email. Enter it here:" appeared on his screen in plain English. All they have to do is read the words that re in front of them and do what it says. Yet what do we get. "Logon to Paragon system broken."

"What's wrong?"

"It doesn't work."

"Please specify any error messages?"

cc: my boss, my boss's boss, user's boss "IT DOES NOT WORK FIX IT NOW two pages of explaining why it is vitally important for him to access this system"

I send the minion (whenever my blood pressure gets to the point I can feel it in my ears, I send the minion).

According to what he said before he left for a long lunch:

user: ITS BROKEN FIX IT

minion: "It sent a code to your email, check there?"

user: *blank stare* ITS BROKEN FIX IT

minion: "Can you open your email and enter the code?"

minion: *types their email address into the place where the website wants the code*

user: ITS BROKEN FIX IT

minion: *reaches past user, clicks on outlook, clicks on the latest (of ten) emails

minion: "See, it sent you a code, it just wanted that code."

user: *fifteen feet back with arms crossed* WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT. DO YOU ENJOY MAKING THIS HARDER. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THIS IS IMPORTANT

minion: "It's just once every 90 days. It's required for security."

user: FINE. WHATEVER. JUST DO THE THING SO I CAN WORK.

minion: *shows them how to enter the code and leaves*

I went and checked. There's a postit on the user's monitor now: PARAGON CODE 50302939

I always wonder if they are just as incompetent in their actual job at that point, and then contemplate how they are probably paid more than I am. Then I drink.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I pronounce the first syllable of Entra the same as Entry, but not long ago I was helping someone with MS Authenticator and they said their account was labeled awn-tra.

Our own people couldn’t seem to agree on how to pronounce Azure. Az-yoor, Uh-zhour, A-jhoor…

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I pronounce the first syllable of Entra the same as Entry, but not long ago I was helping someone with MS Authenticator and they said their account was labeled awn-tra.

Hughmoris posted:

I don't feel so good

:mad:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

johnny park posted:

Wait is it supposed to be awn-try?

https://itinerarium.github.io/phoneme-synthesis/?w=/%27en.tra/

The IPA trascription is " 'en.tra ".

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 16, 2024

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF3of5VRcNA

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I don't drink IPAs, too bitter

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Is this thread a safe space to yell into the void

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

it's all we do

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

IF YOU SEE A USER HAD A BRUTE FORCE ATTEMPT ON THEIR VPN

DON'T UNLOCK IT AND CHANGE THE PASSWORD TO "changeme"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHHHVHHHHFDGJJHGFFGHJJGFVVGGHHBBBHHHHHHHHHH

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Renegret posted:

Yeah but at least it will be changed at a fast pace for once!!! Just not by the user.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sfwarlock posted:

Actually, no,. Just one of the many things people have screamed at me over the last two+ decades thinking it's the magic password to turn me from "Lazy IT Fuckup" to "Understanding The Greater Context Of The Problem And Actually Putting Effort Into It".

I once heard "but I'm a tenured professor!"

His clinic was offline because some idiot with a backhoe did the usual thing. Sorry buddy, that takes as long as it takes.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Post your favorite (derogatory) Microsoft product names (current or old) :

Mine is 'Lync for Business'

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Bone Crimes posted:

Groupwise

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Bone Crimes posted:

Bob

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Renegret posted:

Groupwise

gently caress you for resurfacing my trauma.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Bone Crimes posted:

Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

:laugh:

Diqnol posted:

Internet Explorer

hey now be nice :cheeky:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Renegret posted:

Groupwise

lmao. Sigh

Classic

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mllaneza posted:

I once heard "but I'm a tenured professor!"

His clinic was offline because some idiot with a backhoe did the usual thing. Sorry buddy, that takes as long as it takes.

A few years ago, some manager at a major telecom went off on us because they had lost redundancy on a number of cell phone towers. Just redundancy, services were completely fine. He ripped our enterprise manager a new one and threatened to completely pull all of their contracts with us over the lousy service.

The reason for the disruptions? A hurricane ripping through the Gulf coast completely washing away a gently caress ton of fiber.

The good bit is that we had 800 gigs worth of bandwidth sold to us by that same company which was down for days but, you know, that's fine because it can't be helped. Even without the hurricane, those circuits went down monthly right up until we cancelled service and switched to someone else who was equally terrible.

Our enterprise manager is an alcoholic and honestly I don't blame him.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

Perfection :discourse:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

Is this your problem? :-D

https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/04/cisco-warns-of-large-scale-credential-compromise-attack-thats-likely-to-get-bigger/

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bone Crimes posted:

Groove. Imagine an Access Database. Now imagine that database has a peer to peer data sync engine stapled to it. Now duct tape access controls and user accounts to it.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

(not my photo)

My brain is not working today so the best I've got is something about aging IT infrastructure.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

That's what I was angling at. There are people who genuinely believe that there are magic codes that do everything. Just zero understanding of the world and a wild sense of entitlement.

They live in a different world. A world where if you just convince someone it's important - or put leverage on them via their chain of command - poo poo happens faster. "Rules" (policies) are bent or worked around. Because people can do it, but they don't have the authority. It's a totally different world.

Richard Feynman said it best: For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Bone Crimes posted:

Microsoft Works.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

door.jar posted:

(not my photo)

My brain is not working today so the best I've got is something about aging IT infrastructure.

add hock networking

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Maybe? I would guess so. For us it's been going on for significantly longer than March 18th. That user's specific username is in there but the IPs we're seeing the attacks come from are very different. I'll take a closer look when I get in today and not at rear end o'clock while I'm feeding a baby

Our response to it as an organization was embarrassingly bad and nothing got done until my boss threw his hands up on the air and told everyone, gently caress it we're gonna do it ourselves. So we're not security, don't have access to the ASA, but we have a hammer and god dammit we're not afraid to use it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sfwarlock posted:

Microsoft Works.

"what if we made Office, but worse in every possible respect?"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

"what if we made Office, but worse in every possible respect?"

Office for mac in the 2000s?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jaded Burnout posted:

Office for mac in the 2000s?

For most of its life, Office for Mac has been a really good product. The places where it falls down in comparison are places where Office for Windows has an important feature that depends on a Windows API that the Mac devs simply cannot access.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The reason Word for Windows skipped version number 3, 4, 5 and went straight from 2 to 6 was to catch up to all the Word for Mac releases they had made in the meantime. And that then caused the version numbers of the rest of the programs to get bumped when it was all rebranded as part of a single Office suite with the 7.0 "Office 95" release.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The problem with Office for Mac has never been that it's a bad product. The problem with Office for Mac is that it doesn't work the same way as Office for Windows and it never has. The UI is different, the keyboard shortcuts are different, features are different. I heard once that it is or was a completely different team, but I have no idea if that's true. Moving between them is an exercise in frustration.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Person in charge of product versioning for Microsoft" sounds like the kind of ironic job they would give you in hell.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bone Crimes posted:

How about

:wtc:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Data Graham posted:

"Person in charge of product versioning for Microsoft" sounds like the kind of ironic job they would give you in hell.

Based on how they named the Xbox series of consoles I assume they just give the job to whoever has been most recently concussed.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Combine this with adding a NEW badge to the icon, just to extra rub it in that no one sensible has ever been involved in rebranding decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The existence of Teams (work or school) reminds me of the time they had a genuine go at trying to position Teams as something that families would use to manage their schedules with and keep in touch with each other. Imagine the Teams ringtone playing out and it's your partner wanting to discuss buying plants, the shame of it all.