Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mllaneza posted:

For most of its life, Office for Mac has been a really good product. The places where it falls down in comparison are places where Office for Windows has an important feature that depends on a Windows API that the Mac devs simply cannot access.

I don't know, those early pre-intel days were really rough just on basic functionality.

These days it is much better for sure, and short of more serious suit and tie users like my dad it does just fine. But he still runs parallels just to have a Windows install so he can use Real Office (despite retiring years ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was always wild because Word and Excel for Mac were every bit as old as the Windows (and DOS) versions, going back to the earliest days. It's not like the OS X versions were completely new products that were playing catch-up on feature parity.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Both microsoft and apple had big "lalala only our formats and products exist" attitudes back then (which I feel they're a little better about now) so maybe that had something to do with it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Putting the teams ringtone into Forza Horizon as an optional car horn was one of the best trolls I've ever seen.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Both microsoft and apple had big "lalala only our formats and products exist" attitudes back then (which I feel they're a little better about now) so maybe that had something to do with it.

For a while the best way to convert files from stuff like clarisworks to ms word ( or reverse )was to use ms works as an intermediary

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

door.jar posted:

Combine this with adding a NEW badge to the icon, just to extra rub it in that no one sensible has ever been involved in rebranding decisions

My new laptop that i got last week had outlook, the office suite product that prompts me to pay for it whenever I click on it accidentally, and Outlook (new) which is the actual free mail client. it also still has the old free mail client.

Whoever came up with this branding change should be shot.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
New Outlook is trash and Microsoft should be ashamed for alpha testing it with the public when it's not yet even feature complete by a mile.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

Putting the teams ringtone into Forza Horizon as an optional car horn was one of the best trolls I've ever seen.

Oh my god that’s diabolical lol

Can you get the iPhone notification, too?

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

The existence of Teams (work or school) reminds me of the time they had a genuine go at trying to position Teams as something that families would use to manage their schedules with and keep in touch with each other. Imagine the Teams ringtone playing out and it's your partner wanting to discuss buying plants, the shame of it all.

This would be the next step up from that:

https://twitter.com/sadarlo1/status/1780253598644941208

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jaded Burnout posted:

When I was in college there was some ad put up in the toilets of the student union building that was basically to "Dave uses Windows. John uses Mac. Now that John's Mac runs Office how often will Dave ask to borrow it?" and it felt like the most desperate and clueless thing.

tactlessbastard posted:

Oh my god that’s diabolical lol

Can you get the iPhone notification, too?
Last time I was in an open plan office I realised that some default notification sound on a brand of phone four or five people had sounded really familiar. So I brought my old Nintendo DS Lite into the office and every now and then I'd just tap a random menu item on it and make everyone check their phones.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

First of May posted:

add hock networking

I'm sorry this is too good to go without comment. Well done.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

lol, this kind of ambiguity was the issue I had with Lync for Business, actually I was misremembering it was Skype for Business, which was essentially Lync.
Wiki:

quote:

The software was previously named Lync before rebranding to Skype for Business in 2015, co-branding it with the Microsoft-owned consumer messaging platform Skype (which had begun to integrate with Lync in 2013). Despite the same branding, Skype for Business and Skype have almost nothing in common and function as separate platforms.[1]

I had to use it at work, and despite the name, Skype and Skype for Business didn't interoperate(!), and we couldn't have Skype on our machines (not sure if it was a Microsoft issue or a local admin issue). We had lots of international calls, and the Outlook invite would include the word 'Skype', so normal people would try to use 'Skype' (which most people had) and not 'Skype for Business'. It caused no end of wasted time and screwups.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

First of May posted:

add hock networking

I showed this to some people and they all rolled their eyes and breathed out hard through the nose. I appreciate you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's a very good dad joke

I like it

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

klosterdev posted:

New Outlook is trash and Microsoft should be ashamed for alpha testing it with the public when it's not yet even feature complete by a mile.

Until a couple weeks ago, directly opening a .eml file just produced a popup saying the feature wasn't available yet

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Since it's just a wrapper for OWA it seems to do this thing where opening an email attachment shoves the file into OneDrive and then opens it, which is bad and I do not like it.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Last I checked it doesn't even support Exchange accounts. Like cmon lol

v :catstare:

johnny park fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 19, 2024

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

johnny park posted:

Last I checked it doesn't even support Exchange accounts. Like cmon lol
No, no, you see there's the new Outlook (the one in Windows 11) and then there's the new Outlook (the one that's part of Office 365 that's a toggle in regular desktop Outlook). It's definitely not confusing at all.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Outlook_new2(use this one)v3

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The one good thing about new outlook is the lack of PST support

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Boogalo posted:

The one good thing about new outlook is the lack of PST support

But all my stuff is there!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ponzicar posted:

Outlook_new2(use this one)v3

Outlook Final FINAL v2

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's amazing how bad the M365 suite of products can be while still being miles ahead of what Google have to offer

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Fil5000 posted:

But all my stuff is there!

Ugh, goddammit!

Our org switched from on-prem to cloud storage for email like 5 years ago, and there are still PST files out there in the wild causing dumbfuck problems because nobody knows how to import them back to their mailbox. Hell, most people don't even know the difference.

See, the on-prem mailboxes only had 100MB of storage, so PSTs were pretty much mandatory. The cloud mailboxes have 100GB.

The switch to the cloud also coincided with the introduction of OneDrive, so now all of these PST files got uploaded to OneDrive while still being connected to their Outlook profile.

I'm so loving sick of "OneDrive sync issue with PST file" tickets.

e: also my pedantic brain gets annoyed at seeing "synch" instead of "sync", but that's probably just a me problem.

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Those sorts of migrations aren’t complete without disabling PST file usage in Outlook and preventing OneDrive from syncing them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Those sorts of migrations aren’t complete without disabling PST file usage in Outlook and preventing OneDrive from syncing them.

That's right.

I currently use a PST because my org is dysfunctional and we have tiny mailboxes with no archive solution.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
When we did our onprem to cloud migration, we imported each pst into exchange and then cloud lifted. It doubled the time but it removed any pst trouble in the future. If you forgot to notify during the migration, you were poo poo out of luck since we added pst into the forbidden file type list into Sharepoint (so no circumventing by using document libraries in sites).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

Is this thread a safe space to yell into the void

Customer is complaining of slow upload speeds.

Customer is paying for 20mb up.

Customer is provisioned for 20mb up.

Customer reports he's getting 20mb up.

*Takes deep breath*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHHHVHHHHFDGJJHGFFGHJJGFVVGGHHBBBHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My favourite complaints are when you deliver someone exactly what they signed for and exactly what you discussed, but they weren’t paying attention.

Ages ago when business fibre was expensive we had someone paying £400 a month for 10Mb because your options were a leased line or ADSL, and they were unhappy because they could get better broadband at home for less. Correct, you can.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
To be fair there was a valid IP geolocation complaint mixed in with it which is what gave the ticket traction in the first place (don't get me started on that poo poo). But that led to a very high level engineer combing through everything they could look at before I Kramered into the discussion and asked, hey, what exactly is the complaint here?

I swear communication is a dying art form.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Renegret posted:

To be fair there was a valid IP geolocation complaint mixed in with it which is what gave the ticket traction in the first place (don't get me started on that poo poo). But that led to a very high level engineer combing through everything they could look at before I Kramered into the discussion and asked, hey, what exactly is the complaint here?

i hate IP geolocation so much lmao i have an open one because somehow wiggling about 15 miles to and fro is making MLB TV throw blackouts at him

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

buddy did it ever occur to you that sports broadcasting is the problem here

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Renegret posted:

Actually talking to people is the superpower we forget we have. Or are trying desperately not to have to use.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

mllaneza posted:

Actually talking to people is the superpower we forget we have. Or are trying desperately not to have to use.

My powers come at a terrible cost. It hurts so much to use them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The secret is to whip out some form of "wait so what is it you're asking?"

Short, to the point, curt enough that people are on guard going forward, and most importantly, absolves you of all short term responsibility.

The long term responsibility is tomorrow me's problem.

Past me is an rear end in a top hat though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"What are you trying to achieve?" is my go-to. I've actually trained my parents to tell me what they are trying to do when things stop working for them. It's honestly like cheating how much easier it makes things.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Time for my semiannual linking of https://xyproblem.info

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

"What are you trying to achieve?" is my go-to. I've actually trained my parents to tell me what they are trying to do when things stop working for them. It's honestly like cheating how much easier it makes things.

I've been pushing awareness of the XY Problem at work. Raising awareness of those are a goal for the year. Coincidentally, the non-lab support side of the team is getting trained up on Consultancy, so we should be able to solve a lot more real problems and do a lot less chasing rabbits.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

mllaneza posted:

I've been pushing awareness of the XY Problem at work. Raising awareness of those are a goal for the year. Coincidentally, the non-lab support side of the team is getting trained up on Consultancy, so we should be able to solve a lot more real problems and do a lot less chasing rabbits.

Your lab works with rabbits? Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Yak shaving" sticks better, especially when you link them to Hal changing a lightbulb.

Bryan Cranston is a great educator, after all.