Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Big meetings offsite this week, so we had a talk the week before going over what we will need to bring, and what to expect.
This time last week, first meeting was local presentation only. Day later, ok we might need someone to be on webex, but probably not. Next day, they will be on webex, but only need audio. Today, we need video of them talking over slides, in fact they need to control the slides. 20m before call, actually, we just need audio, the local exec admin can control slides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Your lab works with rabbits? Neat!

We're setting up a trial with zebrafish! They're a 70-something percent match for human DNA, so they'll be great for early stage trials.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Customer is complaining of slow upload speeds.

Customer is paying for 20mb up.

Customer is provisioned for 20mb up.

Customer reports he's getting 20mb up.

*Takes deep breath*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHHHVHHHHFDGJJHGFFGHJJGFVVGGHHBBBHHHHHHHHHH

From the other side: I ordered 500/50 to my then new house last year. My order went through, confirmation came back, and my line then measured a spot on perfect 100/10. I had to call my ISP (Telenor) five or six times over two weeks before I got someone who finally understood that they had configured the wrong product on my port. The first four people I spoke with all escalated the issue to technical checks, who just closed the case because my line was of course perfectly fine. One of them suggested that because I had 5 devices in my house, each of them would get 100/10, and fought me when I objected that that's not how it works. The last one I spoke to said "Oh, I see you have the wrong product on your port, I'll fix it". My modem rebooted and I was back online with my desired speed in two minutes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Even if that was the case here, I'm still yelling into the void, because anything provisioning related is extremely not my job and should have been caught by the first half dozen people who laid eyes on the ticket before it reached engineering.

I don't even have access to the billing system so if I wanted to check what the customer was paying vs. what they're provisioned for, I couldn't.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
To be clear I'm not at the customer, because customers are by stupid by design and can not be trusted.

I'm mad that this got escalated so high for absolutely no reason and all well established processes got completely dumped on.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Arquinsiel posted:

"Yak shaving" sticks better, especially when you link them to Hal changing a lightbulb.

Bryan Cranston is a great educator, after all.

I usually have this at home during chores, not at work.

Before I plop on the couch, I need to put a load in the washing machine.

But it's already full, I need to empty it first and put it out to dry

But the dryer is already full, I need to take that out first.

But the washing bin is already full, I need to fold that first.

etc

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sywert of Thieves posted:

ut the washing bin is already full, I need to fold that first.

I don't get this far because I just pile all my clothes on a nearby flat surface and that is my new dresser

jaadee
May 3, 2013

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I usually have this at home during chores, not at work.

Before I plop on the couch, I need to put a load in the washing machine.

But it's already full, I need to empty it first and put it out to dry

But the dryer is already full, I need to take that out first.

But the washing bin is already full, I need to fold that first.

etc

This waterfall of consequences is why I don't consider a load of laundry to be "done" until it's washed, dried, and out of the dryer and into something that's not a laundry basket. My partner has enough clothes that she will sometimes have a load in the washer just slowly mildewing along with treating the dryer as the final resting place for an additional load. Laundry basket is of course full of a clean load as well. It's sad the amount of tension this can create due to her not seeing anything wrong with it and me worrying that she's having anxiety or stress issues because who wants to deal with that mess all piled up.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'm in this post and I don't like it :cry:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

jaadee posted:

This waterfall of consequences is why I don't consider a load of laundry to be "done" until it's washed, dried, and out of the dryer and into something that's not a laundry basket. My partner has enough clothes that she will sometimes have a load in the washer just slowly mildewing along with treating the dryer as the final resting place for an additional load. Laundry basket is of course full of a clean load as well. It's sad the amount of tension this can create due to her not seeing anything wrong with it and me worrying that she's having anxiety or stress issues because who wants to deal with that mess all piled up.

:sever:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I hesitate to ask this, but what was the problem with .pst files? I ask because I was probably one of the bad users in the mid-2000s who used them a lot.
As a user, my problem was
1. incredibly small exchange server provision
2. Requirement that I save lots of emails, and have a structure to do so (this was government procurement stuff and contractor management, so stuff went to congress sometimes, even years later)
3. have the ability to search these emails with lots of options (i.e. by sender, recipient, subject, time period, etc.)

other than having a .pst, there was (and with those stipulations above, there still isn't) a good solution for this. IIRC, they recommended that we save emails individually into a file in a folder, but lol at that. Also that doesn't help with problem #3.

Now this issue is not a problem, as we no longer have problem #1, but still, it seems odd that we can't have a structured way to deal with locally-saved emails.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The problem was that the PST file existed because people had small mailboxes, so hoarders would fill them up with mail, they'd get huge and corrupt because they were being accessed from a network share and Windows/Outlook was terrible at caching them. Everybody above a certain age has worked with the cranky Exchange admin who would set 200MB quotas on everyone's inbox and give zero options for archiving.

Also once mail is off the server it's impossible/very difficult to do any sort of discovery on the contents, so you create silos of information, or worse you retain data longer than you need to and it becomes a liability. If you're in a law firm for example and use email to talk about cases then whatever CRM package you use should be able to ingest the messages from Outlook and let you tag them to clients/cases so everybody you need to work with can see them, and then the original message in your inbox is subject to whatever retention policy your company decides it wants to adhere to internally.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

jaadee posted:

This belongs in E/N :negative:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

This belongs in E/N :negative:

FW: [TICKET 149473845] user reports laundry process hangs up

[TICKET 149473845] closed - laundry is supposed to hang

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks Ants posted:

Everybody above a certain age has worked with the cranky Exchange admin who would set 200MB quotas on everyone's inbox and give zero options for archiving.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Absolutely not. I have not ever and will not ever delete emails. I have more important things to do than janitor my inbox.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Email is not file storage. I loved when management put their foot down on that. Block psts and make the inbox small.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Although with O365 who gives a poo poo now.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

The problem was that the PST file existed because people had small mailboxes, so hoarders would fill them up with mail, they'd get huge and corrupt because they were being accessed from a network share and Windows/Outlook was terrible at caching them. Everybody above a certain age has worked with the cranky Exchange admin who would set 200MB quotas on everyone's inbox and give zero options for archiving.

Also once mail is off the server it's impossible/very difficult to do any sort of discovery on the contents, so you create silos of information, or worse you retain data longer than you need to and it becomes a liability. If you're in a law firm for example and use email to talk about cases then whatever CRM package you use should be able to ingest the messages from Outlook and let you tag them to clients/cases so everybody you need to work with can see them, and then the original message in your inbox is subject to whatever retention policy your company decides it wants to adhere to internally.

Yeah, we didn't have a CRM system, so we just had to invent a solution. Also I've never really understood the difference between email and files when it came to retention, users could save a ton of files forever locally with no controls, but not email? That's also difficult to do 'discovery' on.

I've also always felt that these retention policies were too short and defined by lawyers with a liability lens, and a lot of stuff that companies need to keep just gets flushed after 2 or 3 years with no consideration, cause who's really going to click on every email that maybe/should be retained extra long (if you even have the option). Also, there was a ton of stuff that was CYA for me, but not CYA for my company that I wanted to retain, so there will always be secret retention.

I'm reminded of the stories I heard about Contracting Officers in the government where they were legally required to keep certain documents 'within arms reach' but they didn't want them to be visible to auditors looking over their shoulder, so they would hide the binders/files in the ceiling tiles, as they were 'still within arms reach'.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had 8 years of emails in my mailbox at $oldjob when I quit :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Emails dont take up any space. It's those hundreds of emails with massive powerpoint attachments that's a problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

My group has a shared inbox that's sitting at about 50 gigs right now.

tl;dr I spent today wrestling with Outlook because either I enabled cached exchange mode, which made outlook try to download 50 gigs of bullshit and grind itself to a halt, or I disabled cache exchange, which made outlook grind to a halt because of the 50 gigs of bullshit.

So what I'm saying is, I agree with you.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Absolutely not. I have not ever and will not ever delete emails. I have more important things to do than janitor my inbox.

Yeah but then I'm the one that has to deal with your 400 GB mailbox backup when you leave the company

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Multiple things can be true.

Internet Explorer posted:

GreenNight posted:

Email is not file storage.

GreenNight posted:

Although with O365 who gives a poo poo now.

To be clear, I mean email still shouldn't be used as file storage, but I also don't give half the poo poo I used to when I was running Exchange.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't care if people keep every email or whatever, but in the ideal world that we definitely don't live in you'd specify a default retention policy so all the stuff that is correspondence on a support ticket that is stored in the helpdesk anyway, random "your order has shipped" notifications or whatever are trashed after a couple of years, and then every message related to a client/project/sale was tagged appropriately and stored with the rest of the customer data so everybody can find them. There's no point archiving 100GB of email going back 7 years if nobody knows that it's there.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

johnny park posted:

Yeah but then I'm the one that has to deal with your 400 GB mailbox backup when you leave the company

"Aw shucks, that mailbox got corrupted and couldn't be fixed. Anything in it is lost now."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Emails dont take up any space. It's those hundreds of emails with massive powerpoint attachments that's a problem.

It's this. We had a 200MB size cap on mailboxes at the call centre, and the only times we hit it was when HR or something were sending these 25MB PDFs of something that could've been so much smaller.

Meanwhile, Outlook (Hotmail) still has my invite to Gmail from back when that was a thing, and I'm pretty sure the percentage of emails I've deleted in my personal accounts is less than 0,1%

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bone Crimes posted:

I'm reminded of the stories I heard about Contracting Officers in the government where they were legally required to keep certain documents 'within arms reach' but they didn't want them to be visible to auditors looking over their shoulder, so they would hide the binders/files in the ceiling tiles, as they were 'still within arms reach'.
I am aware of a county council office that handles building planning in Ireland that has a radiator which cannot be turned on "because of the leak".

The leak is caused by the pressure that decades worth of "difficult" case files cause when you shove them down the back of a radiator and claim you never got them

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I am aware of a county council office that handles building planning in Ireland that has a radiator which cannot be turned on "because of the leak".

The leak is caused by the pressure that decades worth of "difficult" case files cause when you shove them down the back of a radiator and claim you never got them

Don’t forget to feed the leopard!

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Just put what I hope is the cap on one of the dumbest series of requests I've ever had to deal with.

A little background information: there currently exists in our system an email distribution list that I'll call D1, whose only members are this guy in our real estate department and his two assistants.

Last week he asked me to create a new email distribution list and a new shared mailbox. This new distribution list I'll call D2. He asked me to:

1. Give him and his two assistants access to the shared mailbox
2. Remove him and assistants from D1
3. Add the shared mailbox as the sole member of D1 and D2

So, emails to D1 or D2 both just go to the same shared mailbox. Seems kind of redundant, but whatever. Distribution lists are free.

Then a few days later, he asked me to add him and his assistants to D2 as well. So now an email sent to D2 would go to the three of them, and then also go to D1, which then sends the same email to the shared mailbox that they have access to. This is apparently for 'tracking purposes'.

Then, yesterday, he wanted the three of them added BACK to D1. So now an email sent to D2 would go to their inboxes twice and to the shared mailbox once. Again, for 'tracking'.

And now today, he wanted the shared mailbox itself to act as a distribution list, with the three of them as members, while maintaining its function as a shared mailbox. The only way to do this is to set an auto-forwarding rule on the shared mailbox to forward to a new, separate distribution list (D3) with the three of them as members. So an email sent to D2 would go to their inboxes THREE TIMES. I explained this to him and he agreed it was stupid, and had me remove him and his assistants from D1 and D2. So now, an email sent to D1 or D2 goes to the shared mailbox, which then gets auto-forwarded to D3, which then gets sent to this guy and his team.

:psyduck:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

johnny park posted:

Just put what I hope is the cap on one of the dumbest series of requests I've ever had to deal with.

A little background information: there currently exists in our system an email distribution list that I'll call D1, whose only members are this guy in our real estate department and his two assistants.

Last week he asked me to create a new email distribution list and a new shared mailbox. This new distribution list I'll call D2. He asked me to:

1. Give him and his two assistants access to the shared mailbox
2. Remove him and assistants from D1
3. Add the shared mailbox as the sole member of D1 and D2

So, emails to D1 or D2 both just go to the same shared mailbox. Seems kind of redundant, but whatever. Distribution lists are free.

Then a few days later, he asked me to add him and his assistants to D2 as well. So now an email sent to D2 would go to the three of them, and then also go to D1, which then sends the same email to the shared mailbox that they have access to. This is apparently for 'tracking purposes'.

Then, yesterday, he wanted the three of them added BACK to D1. So now an email sent to D2 would go to their inboxes twice and to the shared mailbox once. Again, for 'tracking'.

And now today, he wanted the shared mailbox itself to act as a distribution list, with the three of them as members, while maintaining its function as a shared mailbox. The only way to do this is to set an auto-forwarding rule on the shared mailbox to forward to a new, separate distribution list (D3) with the three of them as members. So an email sent to D2 would go to their inboxes THREE TIMES. I explained this to him and he agreed it was stupid, and had me remove him and his assistants from D1 and D2. So now, an email sent to D1 or D2 goes to the shared mailbox, which then gets auto-forwarded to D3, which then gets sent to this guy and his team.

:psyduck:

The 'Why' would be fascinating

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah that's very much a "why do you want this" and "what do you hope to accomplish" sort of request.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Yeah that screams X-Y problem to me. It's entirely understandable non-tech people are unaware of the ins and outs of exchange or email in general, so "what are you ACTUALLY trying to do" is all I can think to myself.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I generally don't have much to do, so I didn't mind entertaining these requests since they each took less than five minutes. If I had other tasks, this would've been super low priority. Though today, on advice from a friend, I did tell him that he needs to come to me with a more complete picture of what he's trying to do with any future changes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heck I'd revisit that one with a request for a more complete picture to prevent the creation of D4 next week.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Don't listen to these reasonable people.

Encourage the use of D5. Let's see what kind of monster we can get this manager to create. Embrace the chaos.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Until this set of email rules can only be described in 4D space you haven't helped enough.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

A ticket came in:

quote:

Subject Desktop / Laptop (NABU only)

Description the last 3 cycles where my machine was updated, I had to reboot 3+ times! after each reboot, in a minute or two I am prompted to reboot again... and Again. Because of the timeouts set in the reboot now (8 minute timer) I have lost 1 hour of production each time I have to update my machine with patches.

Yes?
He’s bitching about our patching. It asks to restart when an update requires it, but gives you until 6 PM to do so, and can be exited a day 2 times. Unless he’s delayed the restart already, he doesn’t *have* to restart. Also, if he hits the restart now, he didn’t have to wait for the timer to restart - he can just, you know, restart.
I agree that multiple restarts are annoying, but some updates have to be installed after other updates. That’s just a thing that happens.

It’s probably likely he ignored some updates for a while, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Unless Dn manages to create a throttling-resistant reply-all storm, I'm not interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Renegret posted:

Don't listen to these reasonable people.

Encourage the use of D5. Let's see what kind of monster we can get this manager to create. Embrace the chaos.

Yes, the chaos is the true path forward, it guides us to the light (of the monitor)