Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stop giving so much of yourself to a company that couldn't give a gently caress less, work to rule from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For real. That place sounds lovely as hell. Stop exhausting yourself over it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I'm trying to tell myself this as well, but your job right now is finding a new job. NOT doing any more than the bare loving minimum for the company that technically employs you right now. You just have to work on not caring about being perceived as doing a bad job by the clients for your current company, because unless they would be people you're working with at the next company, it doesn't matter. I'm finding that mentally accepting being perceived as doing a bad job (which as we're in a service industry, all of us are theoretically doing our best to get the exact opposite reaction), is REALLY difficult, but at some point it is better for you and your mental health to be OK with that for the time being if it gets you to a new place.

You got this, you will find a new place, and it will be better.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well said, couldn't agree more. And good luck with your own search!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, this isn't normal or healthy, and the business is likely to start experiencing significant financial hardships unless several people who are not you manage to resolve their cranial/anal intersection.

I'll say it again with bold letters: This is not how a healthy organization operates. Evacuate immediately.

Minimum effort obviously won't get punished immediately, so they get lip service while all your real effort goes to finding your next role.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I genuinely love that every iteration of this thread since the dawn of time has included ImJackBrentwood

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I genuinely love that every iteration of this thread since the dawn of time has included ImJackBrentwood

It's legit one of my favorite IT stories ever.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KozmoNaut posted:

"Urgent" is even better, it sends people a reminder every 20 minutes.

It's better than that.
Every 2 minutes for 20 minutes. At least, that's what my notification options says.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, this isn't normal or healthy, and the business is likely to start experiencing significant financial hardships unless several people who are not you manage to resolve their cranial/anal intersection.

I'll say it again with bold letters: This is not how a healthy organization operates. Evacuate immediately.

Minimum effort obviously won't get punished immediately, so they get lip service while all your real effort goes to finding your next role.

And if you want to do one last thing to attempt to help the company, and I totally get why you would, put all of that you just unloaded into your resignation. Tell them exactly WHY you are resigning. It's possible, even likely, nothing will change, but it definitely won't change if you don't tell them.
If you've already told them, well, then tell them "gently caress you, you didn't listen."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
4 job interviews came in after a year of nothing.

2023 looking good already :allears:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hell yeah

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

hell yeah

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

2023 is the year of the job

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kensei posted:

It's legit one of my favorite IT stories ever.

500 mile email

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:yotj:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

A Frosty Witch posted:

Got my fingers crossed for you

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A Ticket came in:

quote:

WHERE

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
User: "Thank you so much, I never would have figured this out myself!"
Myself, who googled how to turn off paragraph markers in Outlook and clicked the top result: :smuggo:

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

500 mile email

just in case someone needs to re-/read: https://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Renegret posted:

A Ticket came in:

Users asking the hard hitting questions

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

A Ticket came in:

Send the reply as WHY

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zil posted:

Send the reply as WHY

WHEN

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This is my favorite tech support story.

And I got to use the speed of light to solve a ticket myself once! The 500-mile email was my inspiration.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's a very good story

And shows a competency I can only dream of reaching someday

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

It's a very good story

And shows a competency I can only dream of reaching someday

There were some true giants in the industry in those early days

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I think I've finally hit the point in my career and age that my jaded outlook on everything has resulted in a personality that exudes confidence, but is mostly just me not being able to give a poo poo anymore.

I have an interview in an hour and normally I'd be pacing and tearing my hair out and rehearsing questions but today I'm finding it really hard to care.

I'm going to roll in there, put on my customer service voice, act like I want to be there, answer some questions, and then take the mask off and go back to my spreadsheets mildly annoyed that I was taken away from them in the first place.

Did I do it? Am I finally IT?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

A Frosty Witch posted:

:yotj:

Renegret posted:

A Ticket came in:

WHAT

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Frosty Witch posted:

I think I've finally hit the point in my career and age that my jaded outlook on everything has resulted in a personality that exudes confidence, but is mostly just me not being able to give a poo poo anymore.

I have an interview in an hour and normally I'd be pacing and tearing my hair out and rehearsing questions but today I'm finding it really hard to care.

I'm going to roll in there, put on my customer service voice, act like I want to be there, answer some questions, and then take the mask off and go back to my spreadsheets mildly annoyed that I was taken away from them in the first place.

Congrats. Not appearing desperate for the job is probably a positive.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Congrats. Not appearing desperate for the job is probably a positive.

I'll make sure to tell them that when the interview starts.

HELLO I'M NOT DESPERATE OR NERVOUS AT ALL OK A Y

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's good to feel an amount of balance between confidence and nervousness going into an interview. Kind of like dating, I guess.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

A Frosty Witch posted:

I mean a large chunk of professional confidence is not really giving a poo poo if other people think you're wrong because you're comfortable in your knowledge. "You want to do it a different way to how I propose boss? OK, here's the consequences of doing it that way instead of my way, just put that you want it doing the bad way in writing and I'll crack on with it." is something I'd absolutely say now but earlier in my career I'd be nervous of saying something like that in case I was wrong. These days the best bit of an interview for me is when I can talk about somewhere I hosed up, how I fixed it and what I learned from it, and twenty year ago me would be like a deer in the headlights with that sort of thing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

A Frosty Witch posted:

No, to be proper IT you should still be bothered and develop a drinking problem.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Aaaaaaand they ghosted me :allears:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

guppy posted:

No, to be proper IT you should still be bothered and develop a drinking problem.
It doesn't have to be a drinking problem, the modern IT world is accepting of a wide variety of vices.

A Frosty Witch posted:

Goddammit, that sucks. You deserve better.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 11, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

There were some true giants in the industry in those early days
I feel like there still are giants like that, somewhere out there, but it's hard to see them under the sheer volume of mundane cruft we all have to deal with constantly.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A Frosty Witch posted:

That's such BS, sorry.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
To my mind, ghosting is just not replying to applications, or between interview rounds -- I wouldn't think of it as ghosting if they scheduled an interview and you were supposed to have it. Maybe their interviewer just forgot, which is pretty unprofessional but, you know, mistakes happen. Worth reaching out to let them know what happened, I would think?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Probably not the literal interpretation of the phrase, but the sentiment is the same. He cancelled the first interview attempt half an hour before and rescheduled for today. I've asked him a few times to confirm the appointment but didn't get a response. The meeting was supposed to be today, and after 5 minutes of waiting I sent him a message reminding him. After half an hour I sent him another message letting him know I was closing the bridge and thanked him for the opportunity.

I dunno. Feels like ghosting to me.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Just consider it a dodged bullet.

In like a week they'll try to reschedule again and you just say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Break a leg.

Theirs if you have to.