Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

johnny park posted:

No, he just created a rule to try to forward all his emails to his cell number. Which of course didn't work. And then the first bounceback notification also got forwarded, which created a new bounceback message, etc

What a pioneer, he created his own personal email tsunami. No reply-all torrent to a badly configured email list needed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

365's controls really hosed us when it comes to Reply All storms. I miss them. Always the most entertaining events.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I had something similar happen with a configuration on an old web forum, registration required email verification so when a new spam account registered it sent me a notification, sent them the email to verify, sent me a notification that it bounced, and repeated 5 times per span account.

Took me months to notice because Gmail sent them all to spam and I never looked.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

AlexDeGruven posted:

So what's a good formula for calculating side-gig hourly rates these days?

I've got a couple of places interested in some short term tasks in my primary specialty, so I'm planning on using my current hourly as the basis for the math.

It would be 1099, so I'll have to account for that.

Are we still on the 2x train, or do we go higher now?

3x whatever your hourly rate is (or would be) to do the work as a W2 employee. That's what consultant companies and MSPs are billing at, about, and you can get it as a freelancer.
Just don't forget about the tax implications of making a significant amount of 1099 money.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

johnny park posted:

No, he just created a rule to try to forward all his emails to his cell number. Which of course didn't work. And then the first bounceback notification also got forwarded, which created a new bounceback message, etc

Should have just replied “Me too!” And closed the ticket.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

MIL gave me her old laptop to convert into a Chromebook for my children. It has only 32GB hdd and 4GB of ram. Stuck on Win8 because the Win10 upgrade fails due to the small hdd. Sounds like a fun project to me. Is it doable?

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 31, 2024

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

MIL gave me her old laptop to cover into a Chromebook for my children. It has only 32GB hdd and 4GB of ram. Stuck on Win8 because the Win10 upgrade fails due to the small hdd. Sounds like a fun project to me. Is it doable?

hm that doesnt sound fun at all

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MIL gave me her old laptop to cover into a Chromebook for my children. It has only 32GB hdd and 4GB of ram. Stuck on Win8 because the Win10 upgrade fails due to the small hdd. Sounds like a fun project to me. Is it doable?

Just go to Best Buy and buy this Chromebook (or a better one) instead. Drop the MIL's old laptop in the electronics recycling bin on your way in there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Depends on what you want out of the laptop as well, ChromeOS is one of those projects Google have very little interest in other than a way to entrench Google Workspace within education.

You can try installing it using https://support.google.com/chromeosflex/answer/11541904?hl=en&ref_topic=11551271&sjid=14857773568469730030-EU but 32GB and 4GB RAM sounds like a netbook with an eMMC so it's going to run like balls.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MIL gave me her old laptop to convert into a Chromebook for my children. It has only 32GB hdd and 4GB of ram. Stuck on Win8 because the Win10 upgrade fails due to the small hdd. Sounds like a fun project to me. Is it doable?

I mean, it's doable?

https://chromeos.google/products/chromeos-flex/

Chromebooks are remarkably usable as internet terminals on quite limited hardware. I would give it a try.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

You guys are no fun. I guess I should've asked in the homebrew thread or some poo poo, instead of the Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes. :(

e: ah two more replies came up while i was typing this out that are a bit more positive. 👍

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If you can survive your sanity checks doing that, you will be bulletproof in this field. I suspect everyone ITT has had times trying to do normalish tasks on a machine spawned in primordial soup and felt their souls leaving their bodies in the process. For me, it tried to leave through the ear!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Sir, have you considered GNU/Linux?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Weaponized Autism posted:

chromeos is my second favorite lingux after andriod

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Weaponized Autism posted:

This is the year of the Linux desktop!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ssb posted:

Especially when critical RCE code gets pushed to all repos!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes

I've no idea what you're talking about.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ssb posted:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes would be a great thread title.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

No because people might come in here and start actually asking helpdesk questions, which as a proud card-carrying jaded cynical butthole I want to prevent at all costs. This thread should never have any variant of the word "help" in its title.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

No because people might come in here and start actually asking helpdesk questions, which as a proud card-carrying jaded cynical butthole I want to prevent at all costs. This thread should never have any variant of the word "help" in its title.

Jaded No-Help desk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes

Internet Explorer posted:

EDIT: gently caress! Beaten :mad:

I forgot that I opened this thread a while before posting, and this is what I get.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes - DO NOT ASK FOR HELP

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes - DO NOT ASK FOR HELP

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

But this whole thread is a cry for help...

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Geemer posted:

But this whole thread is a cry for help...

Dunno-Lars posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Jaded Helpdesk Megathread For Cynical Buttholes - DO NOT ASK FOR COMPUTER HELP

Mixological assistance is available for a reasonable fee.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

there, i think we covered all of our bases

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

you’re missing a cc and a distro list for the thread

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Oh good, a helpdesk thread, I had some questions I need to ask.

I found a thumbdrive in the parking lot, I plugged it in to see what was on it. It was just something about my files and something about sending a bit coin? Anyways, I can't open the q1 financial statement now and it's due in the morning. I checked my boss's desk, and there was a post-it with a system administrator login and password, I tried it and it can't open the statement either, and there has to be something wrong because I opened a bunch of random folders and tried random files and none of them will open either. Can you help me, I'm going to be in so much trouble from my boss if I don't get the statement done on time.

Please do the needful.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

rndmnmbr posted:

I found a thumbdrive in the parking lot, I plugged it in to see what was on it. It was just something about my files and something about sending a bit coin? Anyways, I can't open the q1 financial statement now and it's due in the morning. I checked my boss's desk, and there was a post-it with a system administrator login and password, I tried it and it can't open the statement either, and there has to be something wrong because I opened a bunch of random folders and tried random files and none of them will open either. Can you help me, I'm going to be in so much trouble from my boss if I don't get the statement done on time.

Please do the needful.

See Internet Explorer? I told you about naming this thread, bro! I warned you dog!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Burn down the building. Alternatively gather up all the IT equipment and shoot it into the sun

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SyNack Sassimov posted:

See Internet Explorer? I told you about naming this thread, bro! I warned you dog!

Look, management discussed this already and said this is the way it's gotta be. Let's just take care of the occasional ticket as best we can and move on with our lives. I know you all are not helpdesk, but they're really floundering and we need to be team players and help them out here.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Dunno-Lars posted:

I did not expect to be the next thread title. :golfclap:

Anyway this laptop is super locked down, and I can't even boot from my thumbdrive or get into the BIOS. Upgrading the ram also seems impossible. It's perfect for ChromeOS!

e: update I got into the bios and it's installing ChromeOS Flex now. Suck it, HP.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 1, 2024

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

rndmnmbr posted:

Please do the needful.

Okay what you need to do is:
Go into the records archive, the door says cleaning supplies but you know we store all our finance records there, right next to The Server. Find the hardcopy that was faxed in at the end of month, scan it, return it, fax the scanned one to IT and tell them to "digitize" it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sormus posted:

Okay what you need to do is:
Go into the records archive, the door says cleaning supplies but you know we store all our finance records there, right next to The Server. Find the hardcopy that was faxed in at the end of month, scan it, return it, fax the scanned one to IT and tell them to "digitize" it
Good lord this reminded me of the time I worked at a collection agency. One of the senior managers had an attachment on an email that he wanted to send to the other managers. He saved the attachment to his desktop, printed it, scanned it, then attached the scanned image of the attachment to an email that he then sent to the other managers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 2, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In a previous incarnation of this thread we got to the point where someone made a cross stitch of the QR code that pointed to a document with an implausible amount of bullshit that ended with a photo of a printout of a post.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

At my old job, for food service stuff, at some point the rules changed and they had to have ingredient labels

So they made some nice (okay well covered in typos because the guy in charge typed it all himself instead of copying and pasting the ingredient lists) labels paid to have them printed (except not quite paid because the distributor to stores bought and held the inventory then we would pay them for delivery)

now, since this expense made the cost of goods increase slightly, someone decided to inventory it all under STORE SUPPLIES instead of food service in order to improve category margin slightly

AND THEN people went WHY ARE STORE SUPPLIES SO HIGH

and that is how we ended up with grab and go food items with pictures of pictures of labels taped or, to my absolute horror because one 85 year old lady hated looking for tape, stapled to them

e: i forgot to specify and this is really important: it is a PICTURE of part of a monitor screen that is showing a different picture of the label itself

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 2, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Good lord this reminded me of the time I worked at a collection agency. One of the senior managers had an attachment on an email that he wanted to send to the other managers. He saved the attachment to his desktop, printed it, scanned it, then attached the scanned image of the attachment to an email that he then sent to the other managers.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Speaking of going down the rabbit hole, I had a client call today who had trouble sending email. Now let it be known that he and his brother who run this 5-person company are notorious for trying to send 20MB attachments thru AT&T's provided email service.

I encouraged him to break up today's 20MB PDF into smaller files and send those maybe 2 at a time. He called back when he got to the last one which was stalling, I remote in and see that it's 6MB but trying to go out. I have him wait for five minutes and out it goes.

I then asked him how he comes upon these massive files to send:

1) Receive 2MB PDF attachment
2) Print it out
3) Scan it thru the big Kyocera unit
4) Send 20MB scan of exact same loving thing

:psyduck:

I then advised him to not do the whole print/scan thing - just forward the email directly, or save the attachment and attach to a new email. He thought those would be introducing extra, unnecessary steps!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

office horror story
:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

A vet hospital I worked at before getting into IT had the same workflow for entering medical records into patient's charts. Thankfully they were actually receptive to the idea of just... attaching the PDF to a note on the chart. But good god when I saw them doing it for the first time I thought I was in the Twilight Zone