Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Walk into my wife's work to pick up my kids and she greets me.

Hey Mr IT guy I need your help! We have this new Epson printer and-

Don't say another word. I have no follow up to that. Don't say anything else. Bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Renegret posted:

Don't say another word. I have no follow up to that. Don't say anything else. Bye.

:sever:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Renegret posted:

:fuckoff:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Her boss, the owner of the company, is an ex IT guy and is the very embodiment of lazy IT people that make up the bane of my existence. They have this giant Konica printer that goes unused because none of the iPads can print to it. He's blamed the ISP. He's blamed the manufacturer. He's blamed everybody but himself but never actually bothered to look. His solution was to buy them a cheap Epson inkjet which doesn't support air print so it doesn't help at all.

I finally took a look today after refusing to for months. 10 minutes and I'm pretty sure air print is just turned off but nobody knows the admin code to get into the settings to turn it on.

Probably gonna end up installing a print server on her PC and seeing if I can get away with billing him $300.

This is not a plea for help. I don't want your stinky help.

e: I'm a network guy so my experience ends with making sure that the iPads can ping the printer. But hey it's just a printer HOW HARD CAN IT BE :suicide:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Renegret posted:

Her boss, the owner of the company, is an ex IT guy and is the very embodiment of lazy IT people that make up the bane of my existence. They have this giant Konica printer that goes unused because none of the iPads can print to it. He's blamed the ISP. He's blamed the manufacturer. He's blamed everybody but himself but never actually bothered to look. His solution was to buy them a cheap Epson inkjet which doesn't support air print so it doesn't help at all.

I finally took a look today after refusing to for months. 10 minutes and I'm pretty sure air print is just turned off but nobody knows the admin code to get into the settings to turn it on.

Probably gonna end up installing a print server on her PC and seeing if I can get away with billing him $300.

This is not a plea for help. I don't want your stinky help.

e: I'm a network guy so my experience ends with making sure that the iPads can ping the printer. But hey it's just a printer HOW HARD CAN IT BE :suicide:

12345678 or 87654321 is the admin password

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Unless they changed it, the code could be printed on the back near the power plug, as well.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Unless they changed it, the code could be printed on the back near the power plug, as well.

Or just figure out the process to factory reset the drat thing using a hardware button or whatever and then i'll be whatever is on that label. Also $300 isn't enough for dealing with printer bullshit.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Branch Nvidian posted:

$300 isn't enough for dealing with printer bullshit.

Not emptyquoting

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MF_James posted:

I tried

AlexDeGruven posted:

I checked

I also took the instruction manual and shook it out for hidden post it's

I've been defeated by the most basic of security measures.

I did not try googling for the default admin password

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Factory reset it and walk away slowly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MFPs are the worst kind of printers because the companies that make them feel the need to only let authorised service techs have access to things like firmware, so you're reliant on whoever comes to service the thing to actually do the software updates (which they never do).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

help! We have this printer and-
What you should say in response to this is "I'll get my gun from the truck".

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Look at all these cynical buttholes...

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Branch Nvidian posted:

$300 isn't enough for dealing with printer bullshit.

i literally read it initially as $3000. even then it's a dicey proposition.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
For that kind of money just throw away the one that isn’t working and get one that is, repeat until it’s no longer a problem or you run out of money

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MF_James posted:

Found a manual that has it as 1234567812345678, for the Bizhub C3320i, so might be worth checking the exact model.
Factory reset may also do it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Look at all these cynical buttholes...

You clearly have not had to work with printers, much less *someone else's* printer.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Branch Nvidian posted:

Or just figure out the process to factory reset the drat thing using a hardware button or whatever and then i'll be whatever is on that label. Also $300 isn't enough for dealing with printer bullshit.

Or just walk away. bury it in the desert. Never think about it ever again.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's a printer. Initiate the Office Space protocol.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

some day i want to take a big mfp to a bomb range, fill its guts with an entire brick of legally acquired C4, and then blow it to smithereens.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

gently caress that, those things are a nightmare to move between locations.

Just blow it up in place.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I used to think it was just old people who like to print everything out to read it or store it. I eventually learned that it's all kinds of people who seem to be afraid that they will lose things inside the magic computer box unless they make sure the information is smeared onto dead trees. I'll admit that I've had good luck finding critical information that's more than a few years old in physical file folders but that has more to do with nobody being responsible for keeping digital files over time or doing proper backups in small offices/home offices.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

dragonshardz posted:

some day i want to take a big mfp to a bomb range, fill its guts with an entire brick of legally acquired C4, and then blow it to smithereens.

Tannerite inside a computer case works just fine for the job, so I imagine an MFP would be even better.

https://youtu.be/j9PL0KH_zfs?si=p6jn27bOsj5FITXY

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rexxed posted:

that has more to do with nobody being responsible for keeping digital files over time or doing proper backups in small offices/home offices.

Or nobody understanding how to properly use (let alone configure) a digital filing system so materials are possible to find again.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Tannerite inside a computer case works just fine for the job, so I imagine an MFP would be even better.

https://youtu.be/j9PL0KH_zfs?si=p6jn27bOsj5FITXY

Just remember the first rule of explosions: if you can see it, it can kill you.

(Note that the negation is not necessarily true; if you can't see it, it still might kill you.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Renegret posted:

i TOLD you to just holler at them to buy the brother printer that's just a printer

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

brother is trapped like 40 years in the past of printer design and still just makes printers that use toner to put thing onto paper and don't even know DRM is a thing and NO ONE TELL THEM THIS

I'LL loving KILL YOU IF YOU TELL THEM THIS

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Speaking of printers! I've got a personal brother laser that's got an inch wide stripe on the right that is grayer than it should be. I've tried cleaning the corona wire. Should I buy a new drum? $80 is a lot for what was a free printer

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

$80 is also a good price for a working printer, just saying. But there is a Printer thread you can trying asking about the fix in.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Happiness Commando posted:

Speaking of printers! I've got a personal brother laser that's got an inch wide stripe on the right that is grayer than it should be. I've tried cleaning the corona wire. Should I buy a new drum? $80 is a lot for what was a free printer

It's probably the drum but I bet you can get it cheaper than $80 at https://suppliesoutlet.com/. Used to buy a million non-OEM Brother toners and drums from this place back when supporting printers was part of my job description and they were always bulletproof.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

supporting printers was part of my job description

:gonk:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I mean I was basically a solo admin for years at that place so I supported everything, but yeah we had so many loving printers. Ricohs with service contacts so I just had to put in phone calls for those, but also anywhere from 3 to 20 little Brother MFPs and also a handful of lovely label printers, multiplied by 23 different offices spread throughout the entire state. Some places had a Brother like 3ft from the Ricoh because staff didn't want to walk that far to get their print jobs. The fusers for the Brothers were almost the same price as a brand new printer so when those went we just threw them away and bought a new one. And I had to manage the print servers that ran them all too.

The word printer no longer exists on my resume and I will disavow all knowledge of them if asked.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sirotan posted:

The word printer no longer exists on my resume and I will disavow all knowledge of them if asked.

:emptyquote:

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
I worked at a copier dealership that got bought out, and we were allowed to smash up an old medium sized MFD. This turned out to be a mistake because toner dust got everywhere. We had removed the toner cartridges, but other parts had enough dust remaining to still be a problem.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

remembering that time the managed service provider of a large office printer somehow statically set it with a public IP address causing bizarre problems

printers: not even once

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My (large state university) workplace had all the printers with public IPs for a long time as well, until they started getting sent malware executables which would print huge reams of ascii.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At one job I managed to catch that the MFD was on a public IP and had a firewall rule allowing public access. Someone complained about having to connect to the VPN to print from offsite and I just laughed at him until he went away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I emailed a US college about two Brother label printers they had that were appearing in Google search results for that firmware version, and could have print jobs submitted to them. No reply, I think they're still there.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cool Dad posted:

My (large state university) workplace had all the printers with public IPs for a long time as well, until they started getting sent malware executables which would print huge reams of ascii.

In college I used that utility that can set the lcd text on HP printers on a lot of the printers on campus. Nothing offensive, just silly stuff like “feed me,” etc.

The printer admin lost his poo poo “because we were being hacked” and started working on locking the printers down so they would only receive jobs from the print server. Thankfully I was a student IT worker, heard about it, and fessed up so he wouldn’t go through all that work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Thanks Ants posted:

I emailed a US college about two Brother label printers they had that were appearing in Google search results for that firmware version, and could have print jobs submitted to them. No reply, I think they're still there.

Start printing out "Please remove this printer from the public internet" repeatedly until it disappears. That should eventually fix it.