Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fil5000 posted:

Until this set of email rules can only be described in 4D space you haven't helped enough.

5D Distribution Lists with Multiverse Time Travel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Last day at my current job, 2 weeks before my new job is going to start.... Got a phonecall with an offer for the job I really wanted, better pay, benefits, better work.... Everything. loving taking it.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

chin up everything sucks posted:

Last day at my current job, 2 weeks before my new job is going to start.... Got a phonecall with an offer for the job I really wanted, better pay, benefits, better work.... Everything. loving taking it.

My condolences for the vague personal issues that caused you to not be able to start the new job you accepted.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tomfoolery posted:

My condolences for the vague personal issues that caused you to not be able to start the new job you accepted.

it's always terrible when *gestures at the universe* stuff happens

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sometimes life just throws you a curveball that means you have to relocate/not relocate/give up work entirely to look after a family member

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Now that's what we like to see. Get it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Username/post anticombo

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

"My apologies, but I won't be able to start this position due to personal issues."

And congrats. I'd do exactly the same thing. Employers won't hesitate to burn bridges so why should you try to keep them built?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Spent the last few hours working with someone to get this cash advance/point of sale machine working. Last one just up and died, so the company sent a new one out, from a much newer series.
We've been trying a few ports, different switch port and nothing from it. I can see the port light up, but no mac address. User mentions that the machine looked different, and sends me a picture of it. The device ONLY has a setting for wireless. It ships with a usb dongle for wired, but nothing.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Hell yes. First company deserves nothing from you, go after what you want.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A password reset ticket came in this evening.

From some Russian. For the email address connected to my long abandoned World of Tanks account. That he popped the lovely password on.

Hope he enjoyed the hour or so of tier 8 fun he got from it before I booted him.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A ticket came in...

Marked : in progress

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Was a little confused until I saw "#INC-".

Oh dear :ohdear:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Boogalo posted:

A ticket came in...

Marked : in progress

Do you work at Boeing and is this a whistleblower.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Root cause resolved, ticket closed. User can now be killed. Drone dispatched.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Closed WON'T FIX, user must die.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Almost had to put in a ticket this morning.

I was having some weirdness on my work MacBook and decided to reboot to clear up anything.

On the login screen, the input lag was HORRENDOUS. Stalling and dropping characters, pointer getting hung up, etc. Makes it difficult to login at least.

Gave it a bunch of time to settle and it never did, so I did the "remove everything attached one by one" troubleshooting path and as soon as I unplugged the USB-C hub that was connected everything smoothed out.

Welp, right to the trash with you, piece of poo poo. I'll use something else to charge my touchpad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/bayesianbox/status/1788669878288666799?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
lol the other day I had a long compile fail because somehow inside of vscode I had a typed a random :wq.

In my defense I had multiple embedded terminals also running, but that one was annoying.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I'm not sure how someone would liken using vim keybindings to limiting yourself.

Unless they've never used vim before.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I'm not sure how someone would liken using vim keybindings to limiting yourself.
This is the keyboard the vi bindings were designed for.

I am not using this.

You are almost certainly also not using this.

If you're a keyboard nerd you might be using a 60% board that resembles this at a distance, but almost every key outside of the basic QWERTY set is in a different place, a few symbol pairings are changed, and most of the special keys are just plain different.

I'm not arguing against the efficiency of a keyboard-based interface, but one could easily make a case that a specific set of bindings that were designed around this keyboard would not necessarily be ideal for anything with a modern layout.

I have never heard someone make a case for using vim bindings outside of vim that didn't boil down to "well I had to learn vim for $reason, and since I already knew it..." which isn't a bad reason for that person but also isn't a good reason for anyone else to start using them.

Personally find modal editors frustrating and prefer the way GUI OSes handle keyboard shortcuts using modifier keys, but that's another argument. For those who like the modal style I can understand the appeal in a vim-like interface, just don't understand why so many people act like the exact vim bindings are the best possible way to operate an editor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sunk cost fallacy.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I agree with all those points, but I also like how I can move the cursor without grabbing the mouse, or moving my hand over to the cursor keys and pressing ➡️ three dozen times.

Learning vim certainly isn't for everyone, but if you're already (forced to be) using it, you might as well learn to use it well.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I had a professor for a programming class that used vim (or vi, not sure which) instead of slides, to do his lectures (and I mean he coded in real time, not just navigating around existing files). He absolutely flew around the editor, it was a sight to behold.

If most of my time coding were spent typing, I might bother to learn.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bring back the Rub key

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

A friend of mine used to tell tales of an ancient keyboard that has a magical COKE BOTTLE key on it.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 13, 2024

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sywert of Thieves posted:

A friend of mine used to tell tales of an ancient keyboard that has a medical COKE BOTTLE key on it.

drat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-cadet_keyboard

quote:

Many keys had three symbols on them, accessible by means of the shift keys: a letter and a symbol on the top, and a Greek letter on the front. For example, the G key had a "G" and an up-arrow ("↑") on the top, and the Greek letter gamma ("γ") on the front. By pressing this key with one hand while playing an appropriate "chord" with the other hand on the shift keys, the user could get the following results:

G g (lowercase G)
⇧ Shift+G G (uppercase G)
Front+G γ (lowercase gamma)
Front+⇧ Shift+G Γ (uppercase gamma)
Top+G ↑ (upwards arrow)

Each of these might, in addition, be typed with any combination of the ⎈ Control, ◆ Meta, ❖ Super, and ✦ Hyper keys. By combining the modifier keys, it is possible to make 4000 different inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Somewhere, an Emacs developer began salivating uncontrollably without knowing why.