Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Deploy more buffalos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

A Frosty Witch posted:

You have NO idea, actually. HR didn't even know. This was punitive af

Talk to a lawyer?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I'm working with thousands of IT and Information Security people, and a loving single digit including myself number of people who actually know poo poo about computers.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

NiceAaron posted:

Now try it with a piece of code that's equally complicated, but hasn't been plastered all over the internet with tons of explanations including a whole-rear end wikipedia article.

Even simpler, ask it what weighs more of one pound of feathers and two pounds of lead.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

klosterdev posted:

A ticket came in that only one of the two monitors on a user's system is working. Figured it was a dock issue, turns out someone stole the DisplayPort cable right off their setup. Who steals a DisplayPort cable?

Other than that, how is your first day of helpdesk going?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

We have sites in Iceland and kit is expensive over there, so my boss had the bright idea of swapping some UK laptop keyboards with Icelandic ones. Should be simple, right?

Nope!

Might have been easier just to swap the different keycaps between them. Not a great idea, but not worse than what you're doing now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

The service accounts with domain/enterprise admin whose passwords are stored in the description field in AD.

Don't need the description field when the password is the same as the account name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Customer is complaining of slow upload speeds.

Customer is paying for 20mb up.

Customer is provisioned for 20mb up.

Customer reports he's getting 20mb up.

*Takes deep breath*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHHHVHHHHFDGJJHGFFGHJJGFVVGGHHBBBHHHHHHHHHH

From the other side: I ordered 500/50 to my then new house last year. My order went through, confirmation came back, and my line then measured a spot on perfect 100/10. I had to call my ISP (Telenor) five or six times over two weeks before I got someone who finally understood that they had configured the wrong product on my port. The first four people I spoke with all escalated the issue to technical checks, who just closed the case because my line was of course perfectly fine. One of them suggested that because I had 5 devices in my house, each of them would get 100/10, and fought me when I objected that that's not how it works. The last one I spoke to said "Oh, I see you have the wrong product on your port, I'll fix it". My modem rebooted and I was back online with my desired speed in two minutes.