Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
User: "Thank you so much, I never would have figured this out myself!"
Myself, who googled how to turn off paragraph markers in Outlook and clicked the top result: :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

A ticket came in: "Cannot connect to wife"

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Printers were never good

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

:yotj:

My unemployment dried up a month ago so looks like Target has a new junior member to stock shelves.

Thus ends the saga of larchesdanrew.

It's been wild y'all :unsmith:

The job market for tech workers is TERRIBLE rn. After I got laid off I could barely get an interview for a mid-to-senior level position. I realized that because the market is so bad I'm competing with people more skilled than I am who are aiming low.

I ended up having to aim low myself and go back to desktop support. Weird thing is I just got converted from a contractor to working directly for my employer and I'm now making significantly more money than I did at my last job.

Aim low if you need to and climb the ladder again, it'll happen a lot faster this time bc you're already very skilled.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

"IT is not a revenue generating department"

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

We tried deploying Teams phones on desks and everyone was like "??? but I already have a softphone?" we found them on shelves and in drawers and one in a trash can. Nobody wanted their precious desk space wasted.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I got the dreaded time-sensitive complicated problem on a Friday afternoon right before my shift ends.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Every time you nod off the implant zaps you

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

A ticket came in that only one of the two monitors on a user's system is working. Figured it was a dock issue, turns out someone stole the DisplayPort cable right off their setup. Who steals a DisplayPort cable?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Hunt them down like the pests that they are

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Ticket came in where a new email accepting the same meeting invite keeps repeatedly showing up in the recipients inbox every minute, even after the sender rebooted their laptop. What the hell Outlook, can't wait to see what's causing it later today.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Mercurius posted:

We've had similar sporadic stuff the last week or so. I'm wondering if Microsoft has helpfully broken something in M365 again.

What did you do to fix it? Tried running an Online Repair on Office and it looked like it stopped but then started again.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Is minion new to IT? Sounds like the sort of thing I would have done when I was just starting out and still conflating hobbyist with corporate IT.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

Basically. I've already given him the feedback (more than once) that he doesn't know what he doesn't know and he needs to check with someone before doing something he hasn't done before.

The "problem" is that our documentation is written as if you already know how to do and just need to know what to do.

The big problem with starting out in corporate IT is you frequently don't know what you don't know. I made plenty of mistakes like that when starting out, exercise patience with them, they'll get the hang of it with time.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Like, to a personal mailbox they access through their cell phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

New Outlook is trash and Microsoft should be ashamed for alpha testing it with the public when it's not yet even feature complete by a mile.